Final Fantasy XIV to be PS3/PC MMORPG

final-fantasy-xiv.jpg

final-fantasy-xiv-2.jpg

The successor to Final Fantasy XIII has been announced as an MMORPG sequel to the venerable Final Fantasy XI, for the PS3 and PC; the Xbox 360 is notably neglected…

You can see the usual gorgeous CG trailer below:

The CG is of course completely irrelevant to a MMORPG, but there is some gameplay footage interspersed.

The game is set for release sometime in 2010; the direction gameplay will take is not clear, but as it is a MMORPG great change seems unlikely.

The official site is now open, though lacking in anything more than the trailer at present.

08:47 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is awesome news for ff11 fans

Comment by Forlourned
    08:52 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how many posters are creamin' their pants over less then stellar CG that's been seen every single year since '00 and further back.

Impress me with the ACTUAL game-play squenix and not yet another stinking opening you'd see when you first start the damn game!

Comment by Ohkikaze
    12:31 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

read the SE conference, the fight scene on the ship is ingame graphic.

05:33 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

time sink the fuck out of it

Comment by xatm092
    09:05 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hate hate HATE MMORPGs. FUUUU

09:10 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

now I wish they could also make a remake of final fantasy tactics in PS3...even a sequel would be nice.

Comment by Teriases
    10:14 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WHATTTT DAAA HEEELLLL?!?!?!

WHERE ARE THE TARUS?!?!?!? I WONT BUY THIS IF THERES NO TARU IN THE GAME!!

Comment by Ohkikaze
    12:32 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol there are tarus^^ look at the artwork on the official website

Comment by Duran
    09:44 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh great another soul sucking MMORPG.....

Comment by Itikuo
    04:44 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Fantasy XI's Quatzecoatle Linkshell ArtofWar will be there when its time! Looking forward to the sequal

03:10 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After the traumatic experience from FFXI, I don't think I can touch another MMORPG again... Is Final Fantasy: Dota a little too much to ask for?

- Simon Cowell of Eroge

Comment by Hoxitl
    02:45 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know this joke has been beaten to dead, but I just love how a game named "FINAL Fantasy" manages to roll around enough sequels to help you learn the basic Roman numbers.

Comment by kenjiharima
    02:27 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whao! This looks better than FF13.

Comment by Hyjinx
    04:21 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm really looking forward to this. I really liked Final Fantasy XI, but the problem was they did something wrong for everything it did right. What it did better then every other mmo was how you create characters.

1 character could play any class thus share equipment was the best.

So this should be great as long as they don't force us to farm monsters for hours and hours to get xp.

06:52 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

True that you can play any jobs you want. But unfortunately each race has different stats which might not be optimal for the job. Galka mages and Taru DDs are somewhat stigmatized in the game. Though I think the player's skill is a lot more important than stats(which you can boost with leet gears).

Comment by Ohkikaze
    12:28 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thats not true each race has RSE "race specific equipment" that is not "Leet gear" and makes up for every statwise weakness if you use it correctly.

15:11 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"It seems a new MMORPG cash cow is just what Square needs, since Final Fantasy XI, released in 2002, may still be clinging on but hardly looks likely to last much longer…"

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but name one MMO popular in the USA besides WoW that has a higher total subscription base. FFXI, as faulty and un-solo friendly as it is, still has more subscribers than newer games like WAR, LotR, and AoC or venerable ones like EQ.

Comment by petit-cheese
    20:01 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It pretty much have been confirmed for years that race doesn't matter anymore. It helps a bit, sure, but doesn't break a job at all.

04:05 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully it won't be a fucking grinding simulator.

Comment by sealouse
    11:13 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wonder how much you'll be able to solo in this one. I know in FFXI you couldn't solo past lvl 10 or so. Nowadays MMOs need solo play at least for leveling.

14:36 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually it is possible to solo after lvl 10. Beastmaster is pretty much an exclusive solo job. Puppeteer can solo to certain extend. Drg/whm can solo at high lvl. Not the most efficient way but better than sitting around for a party. I quit before they added the new jobs. But it seems the dancer sub open up solo possibilities for some melee jobs. Still, parties are fun at times if you get some good party members.

Comment by Ohkikaze
    12:34 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

they already stated in the SE Q&A conference that it will be possible to choose between solo and party playstyle^^

Comment by petit-cheese
    20:02 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can solo FOREVER thanks to Fields of Valor. Also, who needs soloing when you have have a level sync party?

Comment by Patrick
    02:48 06/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Im waiting For u~~
    im waiting for u~~

22:45 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmmm... if its on ps3, and ps3 has free online... will it be free to play online?!?!?! that would be nuts!

12:50 05/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You are not playing it on Sony's servers which are free you are playing it on Squeenix's servers which are fee based to cover upkeep and fund expansions/sequels.

15:29 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FF...= name
    ff games = new games.
    fuck the name, call it "insert" if you want.
    your all bitching over a name, not a game.

15:14 08/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*sigh* Another FF I'm not gonna play.

Lemme know when XV's gonna come out, 'kay Squeenix? I'll be playing XII and XIII in the meantime.

Comment by emc2trooper
    00:45 04/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mainland Chinese players will scream "LAAAAAAAAAG" instead of "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY"

Comment by Bledge
    23:25 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well Shaiya from AeriaGames is a free MMORPG, and while Shaiya is in a waaaaaaaayy lower league than FF is.. Its a free o play MMO and they get their money by selling AP (AeriaPoints) whihc you can use to buy cool upgrades and items etc.. And this is what road SquareEnix should take..
    Im a huge FF fan but i wont be playing this cuz its gonna be pay monthly.. And its gonna be like constantly renting the same damn game which is....... well...... just shit..
    If i wanted to pay monthly fees to play online games id buy a fucking 360! lol

23:48 03/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not saying anything till I see gameplay, let's hope it's not as shit as FFXI was. Square should've taken some tips from blizzard by now.

Comment by petit-cheese
    20:06 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I understand all the complaints about FFXI but it's not a horrible game at the very least. I actually gave it a chance after feeling hesitant about it a few years back and I'm still loving it. Then again, I play with 3 of my friends, one having multiple 75s, so it makes it easier for me.

Anyways, I'm hoping the storyline for XIV will be as awesome as XI, especially the Chains storyline.

Comment by Aldwin30
    16:32 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm...If this becomes famous enough..this could be my first Console WAr Based Final Fantasy Game..

Comment by Jaruto
    14:34 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fah, im so getting this game

13:36 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yikes. A new one in the works already? No way in Hell will it be done in 2010 though. That's a joke.

Comment by petit-cheese
    20:03 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's been in the works for at least 4 years now. It was known as Rapture until the recent announcement.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    02:15 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Call it FF11 X2 cause it will suck twice as much........
    Sorry but FF11 is one of the most restrictive and unfun MMOs and games EVER...whats worse it seems all RPGs since it came out are infected with its bland and antiseptic equipment making the majority of JRPG SUCK...

03:02 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea...I quit because of time commitment it requires. All those sky, sea, HNM hunting really wear you out. Well you do get a sense of accomplishment when you get something done though. I am just not sure if it is worth it...

- Simon Cowell of Eroge

12:45 05/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like the playing with others even though I normally hate people... go figure... I like the community in FFXI and hate it in WoW EVE and every free MMO out there. If you want to be uber or whatever play a single player game if you want to play with people the monsters have to be harder or you can just tag team everything and it is no fun.

Comment by N.R.
    20:51 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When the words "online" came up in the trailer a big red X appeared before my eyes. I don't want to invest money in a game where I can't save my progress. I mean, I can still play FF1-FF12, but in 3 or 4 years all the FF11 servers will close and all the hours and money people spent on it will dissapear. and BTW FF13 will rock because it's story is from the creators of FF7 and FF8. You don't mess with the two most popular FF games!

Comment by Anon
    08:39 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let me guess you are one of those ppl that would never use your X-elixirs cuz there is only a limited number of them and u cant get any more and want to save them for an emergency.

Then u finish the game have have 75 X-Elixirs and nothing to use them on.

Comment by N.R.
    16:34 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How did you know? O.O
    BTW that's a nice metaphor for "enjoy things now, worry later."

14:56 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ultima Online is still running and it's 12 years old.

Comment by Pandemonium
    21:38 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not likely... not until almost everyone stops playing. Then people might mourn a little... but not so much.

Comment by fxc2
    20:56 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Holey moley quacamoley. It's a chocobo! Lets see what will become of this..

Comment by イチロ イノ Ichiro Ino
    Comment by Leon
    20:59 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too much of something may bore people, in this case, Final Fantasy.
    Don't be so quick to reveal FF XIV when FF XIII hasn't been released yet.

Comment by Pandemonium
    21:39 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

2 very different experiences though. One's a standard RPG the other's an MMO.

20:50 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Guy in the first 2 images reminds me of guts from berserk for some reason...

Comment by Krad
    20:49 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow.. 2010 could be Year of Final Fantasy.

Comment by Pandemonium
    21:36 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or the end of the world, probably more fun.