PSP Go: Sony “PSP2” Scraps UMD, Gains 16GB

psp-go-8

psp-go-5

psp-go-2

Details of Sony’s latest handheld have emerged, and the device seems to incorporate some interesting innovations.

The most notable internal change is that the UMD (Sony’s proprietary CD/DVD drive solution for the PSP) is to be scrapped, which will doubtless please many.

Another major change is clearly directly linked to this: the PSP Go gains a very reasonable 16GB of solid state memory, along with a slot allowing use of another memory device. Bluetooth support is also added.

The balance of probability suggests Sony intends online distribution of content to the device via its own PlayStation Network, which is exactly what Nintendo is trying with its latest DS iteration.

The most immediately noticeable change is of the course the redesigned slimline form of the case, using a slide-out form factor familiar from mobile phones, and by the looks of it allowed by the removal of the relatively bulky optical drive. The design is being compared to a previous Sony product, the “mylo”, and indeed it is the spitting image of that device.

psp-go-3

psp-go-6
psp-go-4

psp-go
mylo

The PSP Go is set for release in the Autumn of 2009.

Curiously, the PSP Go will apparently not directly replace the PSP 3000, instead being sold alongside it. Just how this will work out is an interesting question…

Via Itai News.

Comment by Karim-sama
    01:27 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This UMD was too wasty on the energy consumption.
    It sucked.

seems Sony is Leaning with old Nintendo.

Comment by TheCollision
    03:21 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Call me old fashioned but I like holding that UMD in my hands. At least the tangible UMD has no possibility of "accidentally being deleted". Unless you throw it away or something haha.

Comment by i386
    04:15 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kutaragi, come back NOW.

Comment by Kurohana Setsuna
    04:51 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well I don't care what people say, I'm getting one still and I wouldn't be surprised if everyone here got one as well

Comment by Eloy
    04:59 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

they still haven't put in another analog stick in.

05:33 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, I just want them to add in basic features I'd expect any media device to have i.e. renaming files, making folders etc...

It's crap I have to plug the damn thing into my comp to do this. And why is there still no second analog nub? Damn.

Comment by GourmetPrince
    04:22 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And they STILL forget the extra FUCKING JOYSTICK!

Comment by TC-man
    04:41 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, actually if I can legally download the games again from SONY's PSN which I already own on UMD discs , then it should not be a big problem that the PSP Go does not have an UMD drive. I am thinking of VALVE's STEAM-like system, where you can register your purchased PC DVD-rom games so you can pre-load the games from VALVE's STEAM server instead of using the DVD discs (although only applicable for games from VALVE and a small selection of other games from other developers e.g. EPIC's Unreal Tournament 3). I think cutting of the UMD drive from the PSP, will surely lower the costs of the PSP portable device and is meant to fight off against piracy (no disc, no rip!), DRM will be certainly used for protecting the games. Remember, securom is developed by SONY.

Comment by KillerMantle
    02:18 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't care if it's for battery's sake. If this new PSP don't have UMD, It's crap!
    What the hell I'm suposed to do with my games? I have 15 games and a fucking movie!
    And I know there's a lot of people who have a lot more games and movies.

03:15 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WHOA! Calm down a minute.... I am sure that Sony will put out a way that you can copy your UMD's somehow to these new drives (maybe using your OLD PSP to transfer them to the NEW one through the USB jack!).

They would NOT be willing to piss off their customers by having their old games go the vaporware route.

Comment by Gar
    00:47 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wah! SO many comments already. It has 16gb built-in but also has an memory slot for expandability! I just hope it's not memory stick. ;-) Dimensions are smaller than the mylo as well.

01:13 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No sir, I don't like it.

06:08 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never been a PSP fan, but I want this

Comment by hyjinx
    02:43 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lmfao still only 1 joystick. Thats like a triple fail. 1 for thinking its was a good idea, 2 for actually going through with it on the first psp and then for doing it again.

Comment by Teriases
    03:07 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

EPIC FAIL -

Release UMD titles online? Hahahhaa.. what a joke.

Never going to get a PSP GO.

Only reason UMD is good is that you can import Japanese games and Korean games and still play it on your PSP. With Sony's "online releases", we'll NEVER see great titles like DJ MAX online for download.

Just take a look at the difference between the Online Store for US and for Japan! Japan version has so many good PS-One titles already on the store, but US only has an hand-full of crappy titles that I wouldn't even want to touch... Yuck...

Hence why PSP GO would be fail for import gamers like myself.

03:14 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, you will see them online for download... you will just have to learn a little bit of Japanese and use the Japanese language site to download.

I wonder what they are going to do about all the old UMD things however..... since this doesn't have the drive on it, are they going to allow people to download the thing online again if they can PROVE that they owned the thing in the first place on a UMD?

08:15 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol , You can purchase any content from JP store
    if you have JP PSN card same thing apply to any
    store :)

Comment by nimas
    Comment by Muzaffar
    02:57 02/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"New Gran Turismo and Metal Gear titles are set to be amongst the flagship games for the console."
    Excellent....

Comment by kristalyamaki
    21:52 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, real innovation.

Comment by metatron
    21:23 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hey! it's Mylo's cousin

Comment by TM
    07:03 02/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why the fuck don't they add another analog stick for better FPS >.>
    i like the second last picture.
    Good FPS finally coming to portable gaming???

Comment by mi
    07:47 02/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

of course it's bad
    they are just thinking how to stop pirate
    but not thinking how to treat buyers

how can buyers collect if it's virtual

21:59 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

bad design... can't play MH very well with that controller...

Comment by porungagoku
    03:23 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it looks fukin awful. i thought they'd add another analog! but no and they've made the screen smaller scrapped the umd and made the whole thing a stupid shape! whats the point! sony what the fuk r u thinking u are all completely useless and should die.
    this almost pisses me off as much as endless eight

Comment by Aldwin30
    01:11 03/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn the formation of the buttons look painful...My hands will need to re adjust if this system's going to work T_T

Comment by imhgtsukishiro
    14:46 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I take it that this will still be able to play the old PSP games, or am I mistaken?

Another thing is it's battery life and durability: sure, the first PSP can only support up to 8 GB memory stick, but I can play for much longer plus it's already survived five accidental crashes for three years now (no thanks to those whom I borrowed it to)

Comment by ragaraga
    09:24 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why is the analog stick near the directional i think that sucks

Comment by ermms
    09:03 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like another fake fan-made image. tons of interesting designs floating around the net but none of it actually confirmed by sony.

Comment by Anomalous
    07:53 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Blah. Sony has gone to shit since they moved their HQ to the US. The second to last image actually looks like a sony product I would spend money on.

Am I the only one who sees the actual PSP2 they're releasing and can only think it looks like some sort of cheap chinese rip-off?

Thanks for uh...nothing, Sony.

You know, this company moved in down the road from a place I use to work in San Diego. Just around the corner from Avenue of Science in Rancho Bernardo. Someone like, go egg these fuckers for ruining the Sony brand.

Comment by knuclear200x
    13:22 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

a slider model eh? yeah they can think up a better design but still not throw in another analog stick.

Comment by Riot Gear
    13:34 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'll be buying this after four years to see if this is boom or bust.

Comment by muteKi
    13:53 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm...unless the games are going to be distributed on SD cards from now on, count me out. I like having my console games on removable hardware -- I recalled reading somewhere that the games for this baby can only be bought on PSN, which can't be good for such a relatively small hard drive.

Comment by D’
    10:49 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

AND SONY SHULD at least include a second analog button too
    DAMMIT i want that soo much

Comment by nameless
    10:33 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

with soo many talk about the psp go,happy and unhappy.
    Let ask ,IF YOU ARE THE ONE MAKING THE NEW PSP HOW DO YOU WANT IT TO BE LIKE?

Comment by liveevil
    00:47 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony is beginning to fail me.

Comment by N.R.
    00:42 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, sony, what have you done? who needs things like internal hard disk and smaller screen? Where are the second L and R buttons? and where oh where is the second joystick? You clearly live in your own perfect world if you think people will buy it. Nintendo will probably create a real DS2 by the time this "PSP GOAT" comes out.

Comment by Kyang
    02:00 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The L/R buttons are on the back, similar to the Gameboy SP, and it uses internal Flash memory, not a hard disc. :) .

Comment by N.R.
    23:44 02/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"The L/R buttons are on the back, similar to the Gameboy SP, and it uses internal Flash memory, not a hard disc. :)"

Did I say something about the location of the L/R buttons? no I didn't. I said we need the L2/R2 buttons. and about the hard disc, it's just a way of speech, of course it's flash memory. But if I want more memory for my PSP2000 I will buy it on my own. Sony just thinks they can sell it to people "as a pack with a new design". They are wrong.

Comment by Gar
    00:48 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This isn't a PSP2.

Comment by TsubasaNoTenshi
    18:05 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

We must first of all note that size, accessibility, and portability come before quality and comfort when it comes to handheld systems. The PSP Go! as apparently 43 percent lighter than the PSP-300, and features a number of other little newly developed aspects to ease the consumer. Other features like UMD retirement and battery life expansion, some might call crucial and others stupid and needless, alongside the 3.8 inch screen. 16 GB of memory may not prove to be as exciting of an upgrade as many think, as various reviews, based on games' experience, show how even a 4GB memory slot is satisfactionary... Many. however are flaming with rage and anger to the cause of the PSP Go! being just a simple upgrade, like many classify the DSi, rather than a full-blown renewal, featuring everything suggested by devoted fans. One very prolonged and dreaded issue was the presence of only one analog controller, making it difficult to control camera angles and the lot, which saw no life in this renovation, sadly. A good lot of people are also complaining because of the small buttons and knobs, rendering large-handed consumers unable to do much. Even though it is said that third parties are slowly returning to the console, few can forget the last quoters filled with disappointment and rage over unsatisfying games.There are a lot of speculations surfacing, be them on the price tag (expected to be astronomical) or on its further updates, performances and exclusive library.

Comment by Brook
    18:05 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If they designed something to slide open to a second screen that would have amused me.

Comment by Ike
    18:03 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol the video reminds me of Xam'd. That series was too random. RUN AWAY RUN AWAY RUN AWAY
    What was shown pretty much amounted to something displaying a clock though, I don't remember a game shown on what they were holding.
    Sony: Fairly ideal systems showing current hardware.
    Nintendo: Good controls for the portable, overreaching with the console. Weak hardware.
    Microsoft: Faulty hardware. I don't expect them to move away from the shadows anytime soon.
    Lack of games on all consoles. DS has a decent library, PSP has a bit too many ports. PC seems to be on the rise.
    Gonna stop now. I'm already trapped in babble.

Comment by jkc
    17:55 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

friggin ugly...psp looks wayyyyy better

Comment by cloner4000
    17:58 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is a Handheld system meant to play games not a cell phone..it's too smal to hold in your hands and I agree..the button are at some pretty weird places...

release some of the good games on PSP would definitely help.

17:59 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...oh you sony

i bet the price is awsm rofl

Comment by xamiak
    18:12 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like Keima's PFP from the manga "The World God Only Knows"

18:17 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like a promising device, the only issue is the name..

18:20 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The design bugs me but the new features are great

Comment by euclids
    18:27 31/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This links has the same video without the sound issues as in the article:

Comment by Artefact