Ghibli Game “Ninokuni” Due for DS

ninokuni-004

ninokuni-003

New details have emerged on the unusual RPG collaboration between Level 5 and Studio Ghibli, entitled 二ノ国 / Ninokuni, or The ‘Another’ World, and due to be released on the Nintendo DS sometime in 2009.

ninokuni-001

ninokuni-002

ninokuni-005

ninokuni-006

ghibli-ninokuni-008

ghibli-ninokuni-007

The quality of the game screens suggests the reason for the sluggish progress the game has made since it was announced in September 2008.

It seems unusual for Ghibli to collaborate on a game given studio co-chair Miyazaki’s apparent abhorrence of games. It is unsure how much his final decisions will affect the outcome of the project…

Via Famitsu.

Comment by Brook
    14:52 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Still needs a western release. Hopefully there won't be any fucking dubs.

Dumbass. No dubs in a western release? You read Nipponese?

Comment by Maigo44
    14:15 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I think Princess Mononoke would be a better game than this one..

Comment by Deth
    15:09 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

.... took the word right out of my mouth! Yea, I agree...

15:47 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More action, blood, gore, and bestiality, amirite?

17:41 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The background looks too beautiful to be true for real time 3D. I think it's more like pre-rendered...Anyways, Kingdom Heart 358/2 Days in two days. It's gonna be good!

10:58 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hope this work on ds emulators... if not then im buying one just to play this and etrian odyssey.... and then toss to the garbage the ds

17:25 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like different style games, but Miyazaki's and Ghibli
    style has always been too dull/simplistic or far too odd for my tastes (this looking like the former), so I don't have much hope for this.

Comment by sunshinesan
    15:07 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I used to like Miyazaki's style
    before I became sexually attracted to 2D characters...

17:41 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

really, I can thank him for is Fujiko. It's hard to beleive she was even in his anime, lol.

15:52 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yeah. Me too.

It just doesn't do it anymore, right?

Comment by “KIRA SHOCK”!! (Sissy Kenshiro)
    17:26 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

second

Comment by t//B
    14:17 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Miyazaki hates games??

14:40 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

been said anywhere else, but:

back then, there was a game made for Nausicaa. the anime was about making peace with bugs, the game was about shooting down bugs (Mushihimesama?!). Hayao Miyazaki is a pacifist, and find the game loathsome. Since then, Ghibli had always been refusing game adaptation of their anime.

(and probably the folks at Ghibli don't like the idea of kids sitting for a long time while secluding themselves, which is an activity gamers enjoy)

either way, Hayao Miyazaki is very old now and the studio is being passed slowly to his son, so probably he no longer have great influence over the decisions of Ghibli.

either way, the game itself looks good for me. reminds me of World Masterpiece Theater.

btw, the bugs in Nausicaa was doing things to the titular heroine with their tentacles. the bugs themselves looks like Reaver unit from StarCraft, lol.

22:57 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well, some things should stay and some things shall have an end.

Comment by Sil
    14:12 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Somewhat do want. Can't be all that bad since Ghibli co-produced it.

Hope it's awesome like Jade Cocoon 1 and not shit like Jade Cocoon 2.

damn !! waits for the emulation .. not going to purchase ds for one game .. even if it's ghibli /..

whhhaaaatt!?!
    i don't have a ds but i hope a pc version comes out

Comment by Shuu
    20:16 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PC version would be nice, but I don't think it's going to happen. The good news is, you can punish them for their ignorance by downloading it and running it in a DS emulator.

Comment by GourmetPrince

Not going to lie.
    I want this.

Comment by Cheoro
    03:40 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It looks good, I want it too hahaha.

Comment by yaku
    14:14 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Level 5 + Ghibli?

I want this too.

14:38 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There will be a "console" version too, most likely being Wii.

Comment by Yangth

The screenshots look great for a DS game! I'll wait for details on the gameplay and storyline. Ghibli isn't one to disappoint when it comes to storytelling, and Level 5 has some great titles under their belt, so I'm pretty positive about this game :3

Do want! I love just about anything from studio ghibli, and not just because I may as well be a fan girl.

Comment by hALOTOO

Crossing my finger for a english version.A must buy

Comment by Ryoko

Impressive. Most impressive.

Comment by SyaoranLi

woooo, for DS, I want play =), i loved Studio Ghibli

Comment by Nana

I would like this. If only for the beautiful artwork.

Well l really don't own a DS anyway so meh.

14:21 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i do not own a ds and i hate Ghibli... so do not want.

14:34 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You stupid fag!!!!

Comment by Shanyy
    00:09 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thanks for your intelligent comment. Remember guys, the more exclamation mark you use, the more serious you are!

Also I like the most of Ghibli works, they're childish, but also amazing. A really good fairy tales with animu graphics. Hell yeah!

And by the way I don't care with every consoles, a good PC is good for everything you want.

Comment by Chen
    00:47 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"hey’re childish, but also amazing."

How the hell do you hate Ghibli!? Nigga best be trollin'...

Comment by Anon
    17:17 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What's wrong with saying you don't like Ghibli? (lol, and how does it make you a fag?) I don't really like Ghibli so much either, but at least I didn't say "it sucks". Cuz it doesn't suck, I just don't like it much. He said he hates it, so what?

I won't decide if I want or will ignore this game until I find out about the gameplay though. Even if Miyazaki said he doesn't like games, maybe he's making one that he feels would make a "good game". That could be potentially boring...

Comment by Riot Gear
    20:51 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But still..you're always be a fag.Once a fag,always fag so deal with it.

Comment by scwizard

Wow, what a faggot.

02:05 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

did someone say faggot?

I think I saw that word somewhere. :O

That word needs to be used repeatedly!

Who will contribute to this cause? No one will have seen anything like it. I promise you total shock and awe.

Comment by yappa

looks like a nice slice of life game.

Comment by whatsACoder

You guys will be buying this? wow pretty cool most of the visitors here knows japanese

18:53 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't it hard to beleive that this game could likely be released outside of Japan, in english. Ghibli and Miyazaki have really made a name for themselves outside Japan.

Comment by Ichigo69
    05:35 30/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now if only somebody would convince him (Miyazaki) to release his Museum Shorts on DVD/BR or something...

Comment by Ryoko
    18:02 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game will be a good tool to practice our Japanese. :P

Comment by petit-cheese

Do want. Love Ghibli, grew up on that stuff. It's sad to see some comments that show no appreciation for Ghibli stuff. The adventurous and atmospheric approach have always been their trademarks and this game seems to resemble some of their films in that regard.

It's also sad how majority of the "fans" are now are more into playing "find the most moe within a show this season!" instead of looking forward to something that actually has substance. But I digress; bawwwwing here won't change the trends.

tl;dr - QQ

21:58 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But some people didn't grow up on Ghibli. Some people watched some of their works later in life and didn't find it so good at showing adventure or atmosphere as you describe. Some people were never "fans" of them to begin with. And it's not like everything that is not Ghibli is full of moe and void of substance.

Seeing how Ghibli and Miyazaki animes are almost always the most popular inside and outside of Japan, and also the highest rated, I don't see why it's so bad if a few of us decide not to like it. If you're still feeling bad, search up a Miyazaki anime on google, click on the IMDB link for it, and witness copious amounts of Ghibli love. I think some of them are even in the top 250.

Comment by petit-cheese
    09:25 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think you've missed my point. It's actually kind of my fault for lumping two different ideas into the same paragraph, though. The whole bit about Ghibli's approach was a side rant that I didn't bother seperating.

To elaborate on that a little bit, it was my response to Maigo44's comment, "I think Princess Mononoke would be a better game than this one.." and the following replies. Princess Mononoke is probably one of the only Ghibli movie with that much gore, and that's not what Ghibli was about. And this is why I'm glad the game seems to resemble the unique, for the lack of the better word, "greenness" of Ghibli. Should've been more specific, my apologies.

To clarify my main point: I'm QQing over the trend of animes fans in general, and Ghibli was a small part of that overall rant.

Comment by Cheoro
    03:47 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yup I agree.

But yea, 'bawwwwwing' here wouldnt have any use, afterall where's this? Sankaku. I think it's just here lol.

But it's fine I guess.. can't expect everyone to share the same taste anyway.

Comment by petit-cheese
    09:31 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

True that, and I did hesitate before posting. Then again, I don't usually group Ghibli and original anime movies with anime series. Just seeing this on Sankaku kind of made it click, I suppose.

02:02 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's telling that people I know who "would never watch anime" admit to having seen and liked Mononoke-hime or Spirited Away or another Ghibli movie. Miyazaki's stuff is pretty artsy, so maybe that's the reason people can look past the fact that it's animated and comes from Japan and therefore it's either for children or weird shut-ins or pedophiles.

The moemoe crap does get old, though. Artefact clearly has a thing for it, otherwise every other article on the front page wouldn't be him drooling over K-ON.

02:09 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, truly, whither you like their stuff or not, you have to give them credit for not looking typically "animu" and actually putting effort into their work. Personally, even though I tend to not like their stuff, I'd never call it bad. Credit due where earned.

02:24 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, I like Ghibli too. It takes skill to make people try something they wouldn't normally go for.

02:28 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But there's a ton of people who really have no idea Ghibli stuff is anime or not, or don't care to know, or don't know what anime is to begin with. They're actually the majority. Though I do agree some people (which is still quite a lot of people) are like that with any anime.

02:25 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and Artefact just posts wha people want a to see here, though nothing can appeal to everyone (that's impossible). Do you think artefact created the mio and haruhi worshiping around here? lol

What does Sankaku Complex mean though? What's a Sankaku Complex? Is it Hikikomori related like Heisei Democracy is? Maybe that's the true answer to why Artefact posts what he does.

08:02 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know a lot of other people are into that whole thing. To me, moe on its own is like a big fluffy cake with a lot of icing on the outside, but hollow inside - it's nice to look at and sweet and all, but there's just not very much there. It's nice on occasion, but you need more than just the moeness to actually have something substantial.

Then again, Kyoani makes truckloads of money in selling merchandise, so maybe they have the right idea.

Comment by Kip
    02:51 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, until I posted this article, the only other post with a Ghibli tag was a hentai gallery...

Blame me for leaning toward the moe.