Game Over: Boy Commits Suicide After Parents Ban Gaming

schoolgirl-falling

A 12-year-old schoolboy leapt from a sixth floor veranda after his parents decreed that he could no longer play computer games.

The boy, who lived near Bangkok, Thailand, was apparently an avid gamer, and was distraught that his parents had banned him from gaming.

Police searching his mobile found that he had sent numerous mails to friends complaining of the ban, and saying “tomorrow is my last day.”

According to classmates the boy arrived at school Thailand normally, but after placing his bag at his desk headed straight out onto a sixth floor veranda, with a grim expression on his face, and there immediately jumped to his doom.

Just which game or games prompted this unfortunate case is not mentioned.

Thailand’s Ministry of Health criticised the parents for their handling of the case saying “For children addicted to gaming, the most effective approach is not to ban games but to regulate the time spent gaming.”

Via the Bangkok Shuho.

21:44 22/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Ban game+no games to play=Suicide

Comment by Pastel
    17:03 08/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All play, no work make Jack a dull boy?

Comment by blue_blue
    22:28 22/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Just which game or games prompted this unfortunate case is not mentioned."
    Definitely not Rapelay.

Comment by Athrun
    05:01 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maple Story

Comment by Salem5
    10:16 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

@ KoHG: YOU wouldn't do that, but you're not that boy. Its hard enough to except common reason from people, dont even start with projecting your likes and likes-not on other people, as they are... different people.

Comment by King of Hentai Gods
    06:00 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

dang, the history just happened again, b4 there was a kid who died of Counter Strike... I dun find those game so addictive... in fact boring, that really was a waste of his life, he could enjoy tons of climax when he reach adult age like me :p

17:55 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Better yet, it makes you wonder how much time the kid spent gaming and how long it took the parents to find out.

Comment by Xero
    15:46 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

in thailand probably starcraft they LOVE there RTS in asia

09:38 16/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably not. In Thailand Asian (especially Korean) MMO games are more popular, most of the time the list is also interwoven with big-title Western games.

Old games and retro, as scouted by playing young boys of that age, are not in general play.

~ LunaticNeko

Comment by Otaku Dan
    23:56 22/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is not the first time and the last that crap like this happens

Comment by Supakitsune
    10:42 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Game over YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

05:09 24/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LMAO..sega rally rite? lol

Comment by Kyo
    10:22 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why didn't he just listen to Linkin Park and MCR just like other kids his age?

Comment by Nekonomicon
    10:49 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If he do he won't be no sankaku!

10:20 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

one less wasted resource in this world.

Comment by ShibariComplex
    11:14 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what a dumb ass (;_;)

Comment by GHS
    14:53 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This kind of news is too common sometimes in some places. Honestly, I love gaming too but I damn won't commit suicide for it. My life is more important than that, hahaha.

Comment by Knee-san
    17:07 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>>schoolboy leapt from a sixth floor veranda

one has to wonder wtf is he snorting..

17:36 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Shrooms maybe?

14:07 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Parents failed at raising kid... Kid failed surpressing the depression of not playing games...

Comment by abort-retry-fail
    09:29 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Almost reminds me of the kid in Ontario, Canada that ran away from home and turned up dead.

Parents and children have had a large disconnect problem... and in some cases results in these types of incidences...

08:20 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

imagine if sex was banned. I'd lol

Comment by Kuromimi
    06:08 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thailand ministry of health says it's your fault grieving parents.

Actually... well played. Any US organization wouldn't have the balls to come out and say that.

06:33 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Serious business!

Comment by XSportSeeker
    05:58 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Again, it's the same story as all "Games causes (fill the blank)" story.
    The boy commited suicide, yes.
    But gaming was HARDLY the reason.

Absent parents, parents that were too strict, social relations limited to the game only, lack of parent counceling, lonelyness, depression, mental issues, poor self esteem... those can all be part of the problem.

Blaming the gaming ban alone for his suicide is stupidity.
    Also, ignoring all the other problems only leads to more ignorance.

When I watch and read news blaming games for school shootings, crimes and suicides, I can't help but think to myself "Are they this stupid?".

Blaming games only delay people from finding out the REAL reasons and taking action to avoid cases like those.

Because I'm shure baning games will solve nothing. If it doesn't get things even worse.

Comment by Alaudia
    05:42 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

boy not thinking straight, most probably retarded or just plain dumb. he could still play at an arcade or a friend's house or even at a computer rental place.

what i would think is suicide inducing, gaming-related incident would be if the parents deleted all his save data in front of his eyes and then proceded to smash his consoles and games.

sad thing is, someone'll probably find some way to turn this around and blame this on the games again. all gaming related accidents always have this conclusion...

Comment by maga
    04:28 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd do the same thing.

Comment by Quik
    04:28 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

He was playing LMS no re spawns allowed haha but all jokes aside "Just which game or games prompted this unfortunate case" if thats not pointing the finger idk what is

Comment by Anony
    07:12 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Parents should never ban the kids under say 15 years of age from the games instead they should have supervised or send him to conselling for his game addicition. Their fragile young minds are just to tied in the matrix.

"No one has ever made their first jump" ~Tank

07:27 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Another tragedy perpetrated by World of Warcraft. Some guild is gonna one man short in raids...

Comment by VDZ
    17:51 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do people only automatically assume he commited suicide because he couldn't play games anymore?
    Wouldn't it be more likely if it were the other way around: The boy's life sucked and he was probably thinking about suicide long before this stuff happened, but games were his only escape from reality?

It's clear that the boy was addicted, but you don't get addicted to games for no reason. It's when you prefer your virtual life over your real life (e.g.: your real life sucks) that you get addicted, much like it happens with other addictions (most famously, alcohol).

If the boy was pretty suicidal in the first place, and you take away what little enjoyment he does have in his life, it doesn't seem too bizarre for him to commit suicide.

19:32 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You'd be surprised how many kids are addicted to online gaming, or fill a large part of their lives with it. It's not always the escape from reality that they're addicted to and it's not always to escape. It's just that it's their place to play with and socialize with their friends. Most kids would rather spend all their time with their friends than even a second with their parents, even at home. They work hard to get somewhere in those games because of their friends and online societies, to impress them, compete with them, etc. A kid doesn't have to be suicidal before you ban their gaming, it's just true that the online environment can get so important for them that they'd rather die than loose it. It's like telling your kid "you can't play with any of your friends anymore, even sports. All the experience and skills you gained from playing sports with them is pointless now". Kids don't play sports for the health benefits.

Comment by Chris
    07:02 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

He was an hero

Comment by emc2trooper
    10:30 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No iPod needed here.

What'll Gamer's Hell look like? Oh yeah, this boy will spend eternity playing Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing while being supervised by Duke Nukem Forever.

Comment by mechwarrior
    06:50 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Used to be that people would say "momma didnt raise no fool". Now its just "momma raised a fool".

07:17 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Parents always doom people's future

09:48 01/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL this reminds me of Brandon Crisp AKA Fallout Tree boy

04:31 15/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They really should have just regulated his game time but I hardly think anyone would have expected him to commit suicide with his games being banned.....

10:33 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its WOW obliviously

Comment by flood
    19:30 16/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He did nothing wrong, what else could he have done? If video gaming were to disappear in one's life, anyone would've leaped off a building =| Fucking parents

01:40 30/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

"If video games and anime were to disappear in one's life, anyone would've leaped off a building"

fixd

02:33 23/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Guess he ran out of lives :/ he needed a 1-up fo realz!

21:51 14/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

who cares its an asian fagg. cya to you fucker!

09:14 24/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They blamed the parents.....really....(parents leaped to their doom after being blamed HEHE!)

Comment by Dia
    21:42 10/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember being in the same situation in my childhood when I was told that I would be only able to spend as much time playing as I spent doing yard work. Luckily we don't own a gun despite of living in Finland, because if we did, I would have certainly used it. In the end this limitation was not enforced...

09:40 23/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope he respawns in a better level, near a power up.

Comment by Tastes Like Anime
    08:10 23/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

umm im voteing for world of warcraft since im HOOKD on that shit

Comment by AT1987
    23:41 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thailand mass media always blame only the game. They don't think that there are other reasons that make the boy jump. Thai gamers always think that it isn't fair to only balme the game.

Now there're people want the government to consider the law that limit playing game time for under 18 people to 3 hours per day.

22:52 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I JUST WANNA PLAY VIDEO GAMES
    JUST WANNA PLAY VIDEO GAMES
    JUST WANNA PLAY VIDEO GAMES
    ALL THE TIME AND EVERY DAY

19:19 23/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

9 times out of 10 stories like these are related to online games. All my acquaintances and my cousins that are half my age play online and I'd wager all I have that they have gamed more in their lives than I have in mine. Hell, they're probably games more in a year than I have in my whole life. And most of those guys used to play sports outside before online gaming surfaced. I've never been into online games, I've always played console games, either single player or, less often, lan 2p or 4p, since as early as I can remember (childhood). Unfortunately I play multiplayer far less now that my gaming buddies are all addicted to playing online. They've asked me to join them but I've always politely declined.

online games are more than games, for many people they're their virtual playgrounds. It's where they socialize, play with others, and have all their fun. Online has made games a far more social thing than games in the past. I beleive that is what online gaming addicts are addicted to, the social settings. Parents need to consider, depending on the kid, that if they ban their games they could be banning their lives... well the part of their lives they care about, the social parts. I know, because all the parents come to me with their game-hating stories. I got all my relatives into gaming initially, and the parents used to blame me for their addictions until they realized I was different.

I'm the only one I know that's ever beaten a single player game that wasn't pokemon. So I'm addicted to talking with like minded people online rather than offline :P thankfully online chatting is not as demanding as playing an online game.

Comment by KajunBowser
    14:56 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who said that gamers don't get exercise? xDDD

*ends non-P.C. statement*

Really, suicide is not the answer for this.