Xbox 360 Owners Betrayed by Tales of Vesperia

tales-of-vesperia-kemono-mimi.jpg

The much anticipated PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia was recently announced, and of the many extras included in it the most notable addition is pirate loli character Patty Fleur.

However, a 2ch denizen who just happened to be browsing the compiled code for the game with a hex editor (let us not enquire too deeply as to why) has discovered evidence that she was in fact in the game from the start, in the form of mentions of her name alongside those of other characters.

This plainly casts doubt on her “new” status, and possibly suggests that all this was planned from the start?

patty-fleur.jpg

tov-code.jpg

code-enlarge.jpg

EST (Estelle), RIT (Rita)… and PAT (Patty)?

A variety of reasons seem plausible, such as development schedule, disc space, etc., but a marketing tactic on the part of Namco, for use after Microsoft’s bribe wore off, seems most plausible.

Via Ore-teki.

01:51 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Time for reverse engineering!

00:52 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well.... FUCK

Comment by XSportSeeker
    03:36 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ugly truth: Most "surprize" updates, add-ons and mods were all planned from start.

Seriously. Specially if the game is made by a big company.

But don't get pissed over this: when add-ons, extras and mods are not planned a long time before release, they have more chances of sucking or having bugs.

Also, if you analyze hex codes, most games will have tons of extra stuff there that might have been considered while the game was being made, but dropped due to deadlines and stuff.

03:35 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yay, another crossdressing Karol Capel picture for my collection.

Comment by Mintmint
    00:14 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather have a game a year early than an extra character. What kind of development will this character have anyway? They'll have to worm some extraneous content into the game to force some character growth in on her behalf.

Besides, the last time I remember a female pirate character in a Tales game, I was fawning over Meredy and Farah, so a pirate girl is nothing special as far as I'm concerned.

Also Flynn is playable or something. Meh.

Comment by Kaisos
    03:31 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not JUST that.

They're adding a shitload of other new stuff too, including alternate endings, apparently.

More voice acting, new cutscenes, 'dynamic' camera angles during existing ones...

It's a complete remake, effectively.

22:26 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So in other words, expect DLC content for the 360 version in the near future.
    Even if that holds true, I hardly think that will tempt people back to a game they would have been done and dusted with ages ago...

Comment by Lordryo
    22:39 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To be honest, I highly doubt any DLC will be available for ToV on the 360 after its PS3 release. Even I wouldn't bother upgrading my 360 version, I'd rather just re-buy the game for my PS3.

Comment by Onsokumaru
    22:32 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh god this is such bullshit. I feel so hurt.

Comment by Pandemonia
    22:17 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

'Once again, PS3 owners are thanking Xbox 360 owners for participating in the fee-paying beta test…'

I have had no particular interest in this... but that line bugs me =_=

Comment by Hitoshura
    22:17 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That always happen. They always plan more things, all along. But they end up putting them on a newer version (see ps2's Tales of Symphonia, American Tales of the Abyss, etc).

Comment by Nick
    23:18 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Iv been a long time fan of the 360, but i really did need a reason to get a PS3, I beat tales on the 360 but id gladly get it again for the added hi-oagi, more story line and add character.

Comment by mi
    23:30 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe they meant PAL
    hmm
    mispelled

05:27 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Once again, PS3 owners are thanking Xbox 360 owners for participating in the "fee-paying beta test"…

Thank you very much XboX users. Again.

05:29 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Like I said before, Bandai Namco has always been a dirty whore. And I am still waiting for a PS3 port of Ace Combat 6 from these whores.

Comment by Arehexes
    03:08 18/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow this hate between console owners is stupid. You guys really need to chill out. From all the years of flaming there are these reasons why you flame.
    1)Regret what you bought
    2)Never played it and just joined the band wagon
    3)Picked one to hate and stuck with it
    4)Learn stuff that isn't true and base your choice on that.
    Now I have a friend who is a 2, and met a lot who are 2 or 1. But let me ask you this, are you guys who flame each other really happy with the console you have. If so shut up if not shut up cause this fighting is stupid.

05:46 18/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thank you i agree 100% lol i meen i have my favret systom just like the next guy but there both good systoms in there own right but im still pissed with square enix for the star ocean thing becas that was just stupid it was a sony title for like ever and then bam 360 i was sad and that another reson why i was upset about tales jump to the 360 so im happy there doing this although they should have the add ons as DLC

Comment by Keiichi81
    07:31 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a 360 owner I'm pretty pissed about this. I literally JUST bought ToV about a week before the news hit that the "ultimate" version would be released on PS3. Until now I'd been loving the game, but since finding out that I'm playing the "gimp version I'm finding it hard to work up any enthusiasm to finish it. I'm really hoping that Namco/Bandai make the additional content playable on the 360 with DLC.

And for all of those who would mock me for having a 360, know that I didn't really have a choice in what console to get. Unless I wanted to go out and spend another $1,000+ on a new monitor/HDTV that supports HDCP (in addition to another $600 for the PS3 itself) I couldn't get a 1080p picture with a PS3 on my current display so I was pretty much stuck with the 360. I used to be a Sony fan (had a PS1 & PS2) but when they decided to buttfuck their fans by selling out to the MPAA with that HDCP crap I had no choice but to side with MS this gen...

21:37 17/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i think your all kinda being stupid about this mostly cas i think its fucking funny as hell and to clear things up the ps3 isent that expecive anny more i meen news flash its 400$ and the 360 elite is 400 $ i realy dont see much of a difrence there do you
    and i say elite cas its the only 360 worth geting

Comment by Another mouse
    23:09 11/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 also got a component out just like the Xbox, and just like that it can output in full HD for games whenever it is available. Better find new excuses.

Comment by sifixs
    12:36 19/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

please don´t make laugh all the shit talk to microsoft is because very powerful company and the other have envy to them hahahah poor losers

01:21 20/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is why i hate xbox they want everything to them selves and find crappy excuses

Comment by tyciol
    05:43 01/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So essentially, she was in the XBox, but they won't let her be seen.

00:26 29/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I pirated it, so fuck them.

06:04 14/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I lol'd at the "free beta test" comment. I lol'd HARD.

Comment by Halconnen
    07:01 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The way I look at it, what namco is doing makes a lot of sense.

I guess the porting to the PS3 is keeping (engine?) programmers occupied. Maybe enough of them that some of the remaining staff finds themselves twiddling their thumbs while they're waiting to get done. After all, all the music, art (well. I gues PS3 gamepad button bitmaps need to be done. :p), animation work, storywriting etc. is already done. But whoever is doing the port is still tied up.

Depending on how the studio is staffed, it might not make sense to put all of the people now twiddling their thumbs on another project. So you might as well use them to get the stuff done that didn't make it into the 360 release (maybe due to time constraints, as the presence of code snippets in the 360 version suggests).

Calling it 'unfair' to the 360 owners is somewhat nonsensical in this context, especially when there's a one year wait between releases. On the contrary, I'd call it unfair to the PS3 owners if a year passed WITHOUT anything getting added and/or fixed.

Comment by Halconnen
    07:02 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just saw Keirnoth half-said the same stuff above. Woops.

Well, I really doubt that space-constraints were an issue, though. :p

Comment by Keirnoth
    05:42 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't get why people are coming up with these types of conspiracy theories. The explanation's pretty simply - probably leftover code/data in the game they meant to implement but ran out of time/money/budget to do so. They probably meant to put the loli pirate in there, but couldn't do it because of the above constraints.

In comes PS3. Now they have a bit more time to develop, and they're not limited by space because of how much storage space is in the Blu-ray format. So guess what, they implement the stuff they didn't get to implement before.

Come on guys, is it really that hard to see that? Can we keep the whole DEY HAET US 360 PPL ;_; baaawing out of this article? :(

06:35 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Constraints of space don't come into it. At no time is the entire 9.4GB of data on a DVD actually loaded into memory. If the game is 25GB in size, then I'd be prepared to buy a 3 disk set.In fact, it's probably cheaper to print multi-DVD games than it is to print one b-ray disk for the same game.

10:54 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ps3 sucks balls :D

Comment by t//B
    13:07 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank God I decided to wait on buying this. Now will wait on the PS3 version to come out and then become cheaper.

Comment by Shino
    11:35 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This reminds me of how Tales of Symphonia was first on Nintendo Gamecube, but later a PS2 version full of more goodies came out.

Guess it was Microsoft's turn to be NamcoBandai's victim?

11:34 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now they need to make a Wii version. Nintendo FTW!

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    15:06 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess 360 ppl kinda deserve this, since they get games like 1-2 years ahead of ps3 ppl, but the new content should be available for download or something :P

Grats to Namco for adding more hate fuel to the Console War fire :D

14:51 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wouldn't be surprised if on release day there is DLC for the 360 lol.

Still game was worth it and beat it a long time ago. So even if there was new DLC I wouldn't get it as I don't reply RPGs once beaten.

Comment by metatron
    15:06 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

those Xbox otakus are in so much rage right now

15:50 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Namco doesn't like Microsoft. 'nuff said.

15:51 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*Edit* that's probably why they didn't get as many ougi as one would think.

Comment by Kevin
    15:46 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That must have hurt for Japan. I like my 360, but Japanese gamers can live without one. Too bad they wanted vesperia so bad.

Comment by gyudon
    17:53 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese gamers just buy the 360, play the game and resell to Traders, Liberty or one of the many other used game stores. Makes no difference to them.

15:39 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I bought this game 2 days ago on the 360 and now I find this... I used to really like Microsoft back in the days of the original Xbox but things just keep going down hill...

17:40 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thats why you should keep a flashed 360, so that you can beta test for $2 a game.

Comment by halotoo
    15:18 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank god I never bought this game nor ninja gaiden 2,other PS3 title get extra but never been jealous.

13:49 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*Paying* beta test.

Comment by Artefact

Not sure about wording this to be honest.

13:46 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hey, not Sony's fault for Microsoft not going bluray

01:22 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

360 Vesperia has over 2gb of free disk space on the double-layer dvd. PAL version is actually coming out with BOTH japanese and english audio, still on one dvd. So guess what? The whole thing about lack of disk space is bullshit from Namco.

13:47 14/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Every 360 game has 2gb of free space and is used for protection purposes.

Comment by Kamanashi
    13:50 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I doubt that this wasn't included because of Blu-Ray. More than likely it is just to make people want to buy it again. Though, I am now glad I didn't buy this when it first came out, at least I am until I get the disappointment of not having the PS3 version coming to the states.

Comment by NightFoxXIII
    13:53 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Like ToDR and ToD:DC as well as Eternia (non-European ver. for PSP) and Symphonia port and other good games they could've brought over. -.-''

I'm happy but also scared if they ever decide to bring it over despite the Americans will need to work this one over again. Just hope they aren't too stingy.

Comment by blue_blue
    13:45 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"a 2ch denizen who just happened to be browsing the compiled code for the game with a hex editor (let us not enquire too deeply as to why)"

hmm.... why indeed... =_='

14:31 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah, it just so happened he accidentally run a hex editor, and accidentally opened the file in question, and accidentally browsed through that section in which he accidentally glanced upon and discovered the gem.

A cat is to be blame for all of the accidents

14:52 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There are communities on the net dedicated to figuring out file formats for games, especially 3D games. That's how you can find model viewers for all 3D final fantasy games, for example.

Browsing the binaries is part of the process of figuring that stuff out.