Macross Cosplay Global Frontier

ranka-lee-cosplayer

Here you see an interesting set of Macross Frontier cosplay highlights in video montage format, with an appropriate score. Cosplay of quality from all over the world is well in evidence.

Both standard and fancy versions are visible below:

On the Anglophone Internet, it is often possible to hear disparaging remarks about the quality of non-Japanese cosplayers, with the notion that only Japanese are capable of quality cosplay often asserted (usually with reference to Naruto cosplayers).

However, on the Japanese Internet the mirror image of this is often also present: many times Japanese commenters will laud overseas cosplayers and lament how inferior Japanese are for such cosplay, particularly when the characters involved are often not Japanese.

A case of the grass always being greener on the other side? And possibly also one of irrational and unwarranted praise for all things Japanese…

Comment by zeeohsix
    18:55 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the first one at 0.54 was Michel going to kiss Alto

Comment by KonaKona4
    22:15 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Where is UK/England? Shame on you!

Comment by CMWilly
    14:24 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The German Sheryl is pretty hot. Win.

Comment by Aeromax
    14:23 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I HAVE A PART-TIME JOB AT THE NYAN NYAN!

Comment by metatron
    00:08 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

awesome macross f cosplays and i'm impressed at some of the photo shots taken

02:45 01/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

anyone knows what video editing program they use for the 1st video?

07:58 30/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm so loving all this! thanks for sharing :D in the first video at 3:48 anyone knows who that girl is? I'd love to see more from her I mean if they feel like making a live action she'd be my top pick for Sheryl!!!

I also totally agree with kip on the ranka with the lens uber hawtness

Comment by SheryL-LoveR!
    06:53 25/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm...nice...very nice.....especially that sheryl!....awesome!!....just, i think..that ranka in there...hmmm...(no hurt feeling for ranka fans) but, yeah!...sheryl is still the best i think!!....
    MORE>..GIVE ME MORE SHERYL!!....
    RANKA???.....H**L NO!!...

Comment by co
    10:21 13/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Btw, there are also outstanding western Naruto cosplayers. Here is a link if you are intrested.

Comment by Ershin
    12:46 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it is indeed a case of "the grass is greener on the other side", plus a few other factors.

It's been some years since I attended a con, but in the past, there has always been a mix of quality cosplayers, and tragically unattractive/unmotivated ones. I think people place too much emphasis on the latter, perhaps because they stand out more? On the other hand, your average Western anime fan's impression of Eastern cosplay is largely formed from what they see on the internet, rather than personal experience. Thus they are left with a warped sense that "all" cosplayers on the other side of the ocean are as skilled as what they've seen in pictures.

I'm sure if those individuals who espouse the superiority of Eastern cosplay were to actually attend an event overseas, they would find that the ratio is not as skewed as they had fantasized.

There is also, of course, the fact that many anime fans also have a coinciding Asian fetish. I'm sure that plays a role as well...

Comment by co
    10:26 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i knew this video (the second one), i think i even posted it once. Anyway youre absolutely right, the grass is always greener on the other side :/

10:27 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Chile's cosplays are both goddam good

Comment by Kip
    09:37 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing I love more than a good Ranka cosplay.
    Those red contacts @ 6:00 are both startling and attractive.

That very final Sheryl is too much!
    Nice vids!

Comment by Narcissist
    23:08 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PLEASE GIVE ME THAT ALTO+MICHAEL KISSING PIC!! T_T

Comment by b0122
    Comment by Obsidian
    10:47 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know that girl. I just forgot her name.

Comment by yaku
    11:10 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bah, anyone can make a perfect cosplay regardless of ethnicity... the important thing to remember are the details AND that the character one's portraying has some resemblance to one's physique.

A fit body and pretty face will make almost everyone love you instantly, so that helps too.

Comment by Aoshi
    11:46 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I APPROVE OF GERMANY AND CHINA!!!

And of course, the Sheryls at the end of the video.

But where is Malaysia?

11:44 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

cant believe i just spent 10 minutes watching this. soo worth it. soo anyone want to tell me how to save a copy of this video? never had to urge to save a video file until now. regardless of nation they all cosplayed awesomely.

02:13 11/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know what? I've just wasted my 10+ minutes watching it. SO NOT WORTH IT!!!!

Comment by Chris
    12:30 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or a better addon called "DownloadHelper" :)

Comment by co
    11:59 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if youre browsing with firefox look for an addon called "mitter".

Comment by Nygren
    11:25 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One thing japanese do better is the :3 expression.

Comment by yaku
    17:17 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not true at all; I have seen too many jap. cosplayers showing a fake smile to avoid showing lines on the face. It's understandable but those not only look well, fake, but damn creepy.

A lot of western cosplayers are laughing their asses off, and depending on the character look a lot more awesome and faithful.

Comment by Kip
    11:35 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I disagree.
    I've seen a lot of Japanese do out-of-face expressions for characters, for example: a smiling Yuki Nagato.
    oAo
    That's completely wrong!

Many cosplayers don't understand the appropriate facial expression to make, regardless of nationality.