Xbox 360 Doomed in Japan: Outsold by PS2

rrod-box-tan

The much heralded resurgence of the Xbox 360 in Japan appears to have been as fleetingly ephemeral as the life of a mayfly; the latest sales figures show it being outsold by the lowly and supposedly obsolescent PS2, and the PS3 is outselling it by a margin of nearly 5 to 1, also beating the Wii:

PS3: 22,825
Wii: 17,276
PS2: 5,246
360: 4,849

DSi: 57,401
PSP: 54,148
DS: 8,408

These are the weekly sales figures ending March 29th. The good source.

The PS3 has been outselling the Wii for over a month; however, with the release of MS “exclusive” Star Ocean 4 in February, sales briefly beat both the Wii and the PS3, reaching some 25,000. The success was however short lived…

It would appear that periodic RPG releases are the only thing keeping sales going.

It seems Sony will take the Japanese market without issue, but the crucial issue is of course whether it can achieve similar success in the US (seemingly unlikely) and Europe (where it may have a chance).

Comment by Chen
    17:29 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ya know what that means? Everyone already has their Wii at home. As for the trashbox. It got what it deserverd. Freaking nOOb. It's like, 20 Years too late.

Comment by Hennaikimono
    18:05 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, the console wars.
    Its fun to read all these comments of 360tards and PS3tards bickering back and forth which system is better.

One thing I have to say about Nintendo is that history says that whatever happens, Nintendo will still be around.

Comment by Ailyth
    08:52 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just keep telling yourself that.

Comment by halotoo
    12:38 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't give a shit about console war anymore, as long as HALO3 RECON and GEAR OF WAR 3 (I hope so) are comming I'm buying. For me all of us who own every systems are winner and those who stick with one are the loser.Though we all are loser when it come to saving money. The cost of happiness is so high yet we keep on smiling.

11:52 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A week's sales data does not a trend make.

360-tan isn't retiring anytime soon.

Dream Club's coming out soon too....

Comment by Hangmen
    11:48 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So, which of these two consoles could download and run ero games?

Comment by Kai
    14:10 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Neither but the PS3 has a couple of semi-ero games so I've heard, as does the DS.

17:22 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can download eroge (FSN, Saya no Uta, Tsukihime) onto your M3 or R4 and play them on your DS.

11:51 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no wonder... all those nipple are in Blue ray format...

12:40 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When you can't afford or haven't bought all the consoles, self interests makes you hope the other consoles die horrible deaths.

I do agree about the level of happiness. I hope whatever you've bought/used/play/enjoyed makes you happy.

I know my Chihaya does.

Comment by Algester
    12:43 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lets just face it the fact PS2 has been open sourced is also a benefit for hard core progammers and the fact a DVD media is all it takes for a resource and as for wii sure there are srious games for it but its as more family oriented system so basically its still a toy per say as for PS3 and 360 nothing to argue about that as PS3 has less games 360 has more bugs which makes them "useless" still they play videos PS3 just simply takes the fact that you can install linux in it

15:18 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku is so fucking dumb. Just because the 360 doesn't sell highly for ONE WEEK in x country doesn't mean it's "doomed". I have a Japanese 360 and I love it.

Comment by Artefact

It's a good job Microsoft has you to prop up its Japanese sales.

19:18 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Me2! (AOL joke)

Comment by mi
    13:22 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i can see the support in portable

20:00 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The picture made me laugh

Comment by nekotails
    20:01 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As much as I want to like the xbox 360, it still gives RROD regardless of the jasper chip etc.etc...even with the warranty it only covers certain countries, and I don't really have any support where I am at. I had my 360 RROD on me and there's nothing i could do and my money flew by just like that. I'm enjoying my PS3 even more now and alot of things i could do with it(Internet Browser,Blu Ray,Streaming DLNA, Bigger Hard drive(upgradeable) and so on that could fill up entire A4 page)

Comment by h8GWB
    13:26 02/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All the infomed OP, statistics, and lengthy comments here will still never explain to me the popularity of Idolm@ster in Japan.

And don't friggin' tell me that it's on a Sony console. That was only very recently.

23:47 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is why Microsoft needs to only focus on making a game-friendly PC OS. Leave the console battle to Sony and Nintendo.

13:04 10/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hahahah die xbox 360 die!!! hahaha ps3 and wii forever!!! aswell as ds and pap! hahaha!

Comment by Black_Troll
    00:09 10/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why can't Microsoft just pull out of Japan, its a lost cause.

Comment by ZebastianvonKane
    12:03 24/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a matter of cultural tastes, as always. But alternatives are always a good point in market contest.

Comment by Muzaffar
    01:20 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Poor 360-tan. =(
    Oh yeah, I don't give a shit about the console war as we all know both S**y and Micros*** is going to lose out to Nintendo whatever the outcome will be.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    12:34 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sure does seem to be that way, considering M$ and S*ny both were happy doing things the way they always done them, and Nintendo wasn't. Considering they opened up more market share than they already had with their controls...leave it up to you to believe what you wish about whether the Wii is a console or not.

21:42 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

None of those facts mean a thing. Japanese people surf the internet on their phones, and they don't watch blu rays (seriously, they're FUCKING EXPENSIVE in Japan. Twice the price of America).

Comment by Artefact

Before declaring facts meaningless you should present some facts to support your own arguments.

Blu-ray is expensive in Japan because they will pay that much.

If Japanese use the Internet only on their phones, why is Japan the world's largest market for FTTH Internet connections?

Comment by h8GWB
    13:39 02/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You might need to rethink posting about gaming, since console flame wars consume Artefact's soul.

Too bad you are on my opponent's side, for we may have seen eye-to-eye on many things.

Comment by nekotails
    01:20 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Super Combo Finish!
    High 5!! Artefact

12:35 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

We're cheering for you 360-tan!

Don't worry! Its just a passing phase of illness and a short term trend. You button isn't going to go red in the future once we insert the proper medication and get you sorted out.

08:34 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

7/10 there, Artefact, starting console wars has always been a sure-fire method...

08:39 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My God...And I fell for it...

Comment by Jacko
    08:25 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

poor X-box 360.

i know why PS3 won this time,

because the PS3 has internet connection and it has similar installion of PSP.

thats why X-box 360 doesnt have internet connection plus Blu-ray and DVD Disc to watch movies.

08:29 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Have you not heard of Xbox Live? Which backward country do you live in?

Comment by Jacko
    08:32 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

X-box Live is just only for games and movies.

but there is no intenet connectio to search something.

and also dont ask me about my country i live.

Comment by Geerie
    10:08 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i have ps3 and wii and well i never once cared for the internet connectivity i watched youtube like once... on the wii after i bought the internet for it. umm i actually dont know what the ps3 browser looks like. id guess exactly like psps actually i like my psp better than my ps3.

09:06 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Right... So PS3 is beating 360 in Japan because you can browse the web on it. Wow, system selling feature right there... lol

Comment by Mario1-7
    08:27 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony is not gonna take Japan. Nintendo has it Sony is there just because of Resident Evil 5. Just wait till Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest 10 come out which are both Wii exclusive's PS3 and 360 won't even sell 2 consoles for 3 months. The thing that gets me is you say PS3 will take Japan without issue, That is Complete Bullshit it beats the Wii for 2 weeks and all of a sudden Sony is all mighty Remember the 2 and a half years that the Wii has been pissing on the PS3 and PS3 even taking last place most of those weeks. don't report on Video games if you Personal comment are gonna make you sound like and ass. ~Desu Bitch~

Comment by GHB
    08:46 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PS3 has been outselling Wii for about a month and a half now, mostly because there's been zero Japanese games out on Wii for quite some time.

As far as DQX and MH3 goes though, yeah that is probably why Wii won't be going away anytime soon. However, PS3 does have Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII, both are exclusives in Japan, so it will be close.

MH3 isn't really that big of a deal anyway, since the console MH games don't sell nearly as well as the PSP games have been selling. DQ will probably outsell FF by a million like the last generation, but there will be more FFs released so it all evens out.

08:48 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like we got a Wiitard over here...

Comment by firaku
    18:16 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yup...

utilized properly the Wii could make a sick gaming consol, but of the most promising games I've played that interest me they all failed.

If I had a Wii and was pointed i nthe direction of a well made sword fighting/malee weapon game I might give the Wii a go but not likely.

I'll stick with Persona 3 and P4.

Comment by knives
    08:55 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i think everyones got a 360 thats why the sales are down .... or maybe not

Comment by Anon
    08:56 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I read the ps2 had a price drop in the US to US$99 effective April 1. Was there a price drop in Japan that led to the greater sales than Xbox360?

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    08:57 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PC and handhelds > all the consoles

Comment by motaku96
    08:55 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's kinda good to know that the ps2 still has some life left in it.

Comment by kevinayP
    08:23 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Since THE iDOLM@STER is now on the PSP, people in Japan have even less reasons to buy a 360... Guess only JRPG releases would keep it alive.

Comment by Ace
    16:41 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn. I just realized this isn't vocaloidism when I saw that avatar.

12:48 07/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's no way the tiny PSP can capture Chihaya's greatness.

11:16 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Unless you want to play with Miki.

Comment by KonaKona4
    08:22 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For a week or so I've been pondering whether to get a 360 or PS3, fuck it PS3 all the way, you friggin yanks can take your shitty shooting/killing games and brainwash yourselves to kill people in real life =D it's all the rage nowadays eh~

21:40 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because MGS4 isn't a shooting/killing game? Moron.

04:47 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no, it's a sneeeaky killing game! ^_^
    at least if you have much idea how to play it

09:04 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You do realize that the most popular game on PS3 would be Killzone 2, which is yet another "shitty shooting/killing game"?

Comment by Furikake
    09:45 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh...Killzone 2 is not the most popular game on PS3. Any non-PS3 fanboy would say it's an average shooter with terrible multiplayer gameplay.

MGS4 would take that title.

18:27 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The cake is a lie.

Comment by Jarmel
    11:44 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. I've played KZ2 extensively and while it's executed pretty well, especially the graphics, MGS4 easily takes the cake.

Comment by CGrascal
    09:49 06/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Xbox 360 has Halo. PS3 has Killzone. They're both on equal footing with "shitty shooter/killing games".