Japanese Men Smokers a Dying Breed

japan-smoking.jpg

According to the Japan Health Promotion and Fitness Foundation, the percentage of male smokers has been on a steady decline since the 1960’s, halving in the period.

Men of all ages have seen a decrease in their smoking, currently at 39.5 percent overall, as opposed to 1966 when over 80 percent of them smoked.

Whilst women in general are actually smoking more then they have in the past, their overall rates have always been lower in comparison to men at 12.9 percent. The only female age group to see a significant decline was women 60 or older.

Via Danny Choo‘s. Statistics available at the JHPFF‘s web page.

Yet another aspect of Japanese society that is allegedly on the decline.

Comment by Phuong
    10:47 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally, some good news.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    14:26 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I smoke.
    Am I allowed to comment on this post without being called names? :P

But yeah, it's a bad habit, I don't do it in public, and I don't encourage others to do it too.

Comment by Bakajim
    17:21 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Tobacco companies are not going to like this. You all know what that means.. MORE subliminal advertising trying to get a younger generation to smoke while their old customers keep dying off. I will admit I am a former smoker and I know exactly how hard it is to quit. But not even the anit smokling advertising campeign can stop it completly

17:29 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Smoking girls are hot. I get an hard-on just thinking about a young sexy girl smoking... I wish girls smoked more...

Remember there's still a lot of people with a smoking fetish out there!

Comment by Holly
    04:15 22/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree some girls who smoke just seems hot. But I can't stand the smell or taste, complete turn off. But can't really have one without the other? Shame lol.

Comment by Bounce
    09:31 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

smoke'em if ya got'em, I say
    prefer the left handed ones myself

Comment by laughhe
    05:08 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess that will be good for the Japanese guys over there.
    I myself don't smoke and don't intend to start one either...

05:33 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

haha

Smoking

Dying

Dying breed

I see what you did there.

Comment by Robocop
    05:54 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

brooke shields once said "smoking can kill you, if you are dead you are missing out on a very important part of your life"

one can learn a lot from that.

Comment by Xavi
    05:06 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese people are clever and know when to quit stupid habits. In my country smokers increase in numbers like mosquitoes on a swamp.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    14:21 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If that was the logic, you are actually calling japanese slow and stupid, since the smoking numbers there are worse than that of lots of countries, including poorer ones.

Comment by Xavi
    22:00 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Did I mention that Japanese are the best in terms of quiting smoking?

For fuck's sake people don't deform what I said.

04:27 22/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What country are you from?

10:51 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese smoking has taken a lot longer to decrease than in the US, though, admittedly. I was beginning to think Japanese would never stop, but this gives me hope.

Comment by Xavi
    21:57 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Did I mention US at all?

Comment by repure
    04:48 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

smoking is bad...
    thats why i dont smoke...

the end....

Comment by loplop
    05:06 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I read that comment and instantly had Mahoro come to mind saying "Smoking is Bad . . ."

Comment by Vegio
    04:48 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I personally don't like smokers women.
    But can't care less about men.
    This news would be great for a homosexual me, which does not exist.

Comment by Geerie
    06:16 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>>a homosexual me, wich does not exist.

sure buddy, sure.

10:50 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

heh

Comment by BuggyBY
    05:04 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Literally a dying breed, which I guess explains the lower numbers of over-60 female smokers as well.

06:23 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The OP pic would be smoking hot without the cigar

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    08:34 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FYI a "cigar" is much MUCH larger than that, that's a "cigarette".

07:02 30/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Cigars are for Bender only, DAMNIT!

Comment by Miroku74
    08:20 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese male smokers a dying breed....

lawl XD Nice one.

08:32 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can see why female smokers above 60 have declined. in fact, they're soon going to be extinct

07:44 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Live Longer
    Buy more anime figures

Comment by exia
    08:05 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Live Longer
    Make some Real Gundams

Comment by Ronald
    12:13 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Live Longer
    Have sex with your partner

Comment by nekosasu
    06:55 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm really glad I don't smoke. Especially in these rather grim economic times, it saves me a lot of money. And that little bit of extra lifetime can also be quite useful.
    I suppose the Japanese people think the same... At least they won't jump in front of trains with ruined lungs. Or hang themselves. Or run amok. You know.

07:01 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

rofl how much more sluttier does that chick look with a cigarette in her mouth

Comment by Chen
    07:09 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Funny, just yesterday I tought about a world without cigarettes at all. Would be fun to watch the smokers in need of a cigarette and don't getting any.

I for myself don't smoke or do drugs or drink alcoholic stuff. Don't understand whats so great about those things.

Comment by Anon
    10:08 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's ok to say smoking is bad, but alcohol?! Are you mad?!

I'm not even talking about getting wasted. But a refreshing Belgian ale after work, a fine glass of red wine with steak, or 12 year old scotch late at night. And they are all natural, plant based, drinks which have positive health aspects compared to soda pop and energy drinks. Moderation is key.

Unless you're buying drinks for someone you're hitting on. Then you do all you can to get them drunk and make some bad decisions.

10:53 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whether you like it or not, booze is still poison. That's why it affects the body the way it does. If it gives you peace and pleasure, fine, but poison is poison. A lot of people love cigs, too, and caffeine, etc etc etc. Doesn't mean it's peachy great.

Comment by Anon
    12:06 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You're using the term "poison" too simplistically. By your reasoning, things like water and oxygen are poisons as well. Too much water (hyperhydration) and too much oxygen (hyperoxia) can affect the body negatively and can ultimately lead to death as well. A better way to define a poison is based on the amount of intake (in most cases, excessive) needed to reach harmful toxicity. Hence, in my previous post the statement that: Moderation is key.

Comment by Halconnen
    23:22 22/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I see where you're coming from with the health aspect (slight blood thinning, leading to better oxygen supply for the brain), but I'm also one of the people that avoid alcohol wherever they can.

I absolutely abhor people that are drunk, so it'd be kind of hypocritical if I drank myself. Plus, I'd die of shame if I'd ever end up in a situation like some people I know do. Like, falling unconscious in the bathroom in a puddle of one's own puke.

Anyway, while I sometimes do ingest small quantities of alcohol, like the glass of wine with a steak mentioned by you, sometimes sake with sushi, or whatever, I still don't get anything out of it, could do without, and actually think steak tastes better without it.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    08:37 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You have to do it to really understand it, the feeling is something that can never really be conveyed into words...don't smoke or do drugs, but I did get drunk a few times.