card_captor_sakura_yuri

Several in-store displays have been showing off the substantial visual improvements in the upcoming Card Captor Sakura Blu-ray release for some time now, but these new photos, in substantially higher size and quality, give a much better representation of how much better the shoujo classic now appears.

These are photos taken of a store display at Soft1 in Chiyoda:

New BD video is on the left in all photos, marked “HD”

card_captor_sakura_bd_comparison_01

card_captor_sakura_bd_comparison_02

card_captor_sakura_bd_comparison_03

card_captor_sakura_bd_comparison_04

card_captor_sakura_bd_comparison_05

card_captor_sakura_bd_comparison_06

A good comparison surely cannot be made from the rather crude method of snapping photos of of a TV display, but the sheer amount of difference visible in the new HD master shows excellent promise for the upcoming release.

Also, yes – I know that only decent comparison images would be PNG files with resolutions rivaling the size of small buildings. Forgive me.

I perhaps should be glad to own only a few of the soon to be obsoleted DVDs, but as the BD release will only be sold in two boxsets, the first for ¥62,000 (or here)and the second for ¥38,000 (or here), I likely won’t be able to upgrade my collection immediately upon their release in March…

Photos via Akiba Hobby.

Comment by unico
    04:42 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh eh Gee such a huuuuuge difference. /dripping sarcasm

Comment by ManaYagami
    07:14 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because a photo of a screen displaying the differences is the same thing as watching the real thing.

Comment by taishi tetora
    13:58 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ummm. . . sorry. . .i can't catch the different
    ( ;;^^)a

perhaps ,is it because the anime it self is too old enough?

Comment by ManaYagami
    23:28 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Start by replacing your eyes or buying some glasses. It will help.

Comment by Ichigo69
    22:55 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow... You people are freaking BLIND

click that.... If you can't see a difference in the left hand side vs. the right hand side....

meh, nvm...

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    11:06 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems to me JP anime publishers know their time is coming up with all the stupid and assine price fixing they do and are going to run it into the ground in grand JP fashion.

Comment by ManaYagami
    23:30 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know someone that paid the same price for the two R2J DVD boxes of Dragon Ball Z and he even had to pay for custom taxes, so the Japanese studios know how to milk their animes before dropping the prices.

Comment by Ichigo69
    22:54 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and yet, all the crazed jap otaku will buy this in droves.... Hell, If /I/ had an extra 100.000 yen to blow, I'd get it...

01:50 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When I first saw the Blu-Ray was up for order, my thought was, "COUNT ME IN!"
    When I saw the price, I told myself, "NO FUCKIN' WAY!"

I like anime but there is only so much I can push myself before I decide, enough is enough.

Comment by Actar
    16:42 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have the entire series in individual R1 DVDs, on VCD and on my HD. I don't think I'll need another.

Comment by Ichigo69
    22:51 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Enjoy Madison and Julian...

Comment by BuggyBY
    23:28 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The most important question for me is what they'll do about the aspect ratio, since CCS was shot in 4:3. Surely they wouldn't chop bits off the top and bottom of the frame, would they?

07:12 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

By what I've seen on the recent Zeta Gundam BDrips, it will probably be 4:3 with no chopping for "widescreen version".

Comment by Ichigo69
    22:52 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I remember correctly, they said that it will be in 4:3 which means they won't letterbox it (thank god...)

Comment by Lost
    21:32 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lucky for me this has bean on my To Get List for ages just never saw it around.. Hope they Do a UK version.. ha.. im dreaming there huh

13:38 19/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

does this include English subtitles??

04:25 31/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sd is better than BD..

12:44 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am very disappointed that it is not even widescreen! 1440x1080 (or even if it is 1920x1080, it is still displayed in 4:3).

I would so buy this but now I am hesitant.

16:22 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i would rather buy those loli doll. c'mon 70000 yen for a loli doll or 70000 yen for sakura HD version?

Comment by CC
    07:07 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For those not seeing the difference, click the image.. then click the bottomright icon that's covering the image.

If you then still don't see a difference.. don't bother buying this, money is better spend on a pair of glasses. Mighty fancy glasses for $600!

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    16:17 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh cool, I didn't think about clicking on that symbol and never took a second glance at it...how I've been doing it is on firefox right click, open in new tab/foreground tab, and that does it just fine for me...or it did before now. o_o

So yes, I am insulted by not being told, but only because of my own decision to not examine everything, and nothing more.

Comment by Ichigo69
    22:45 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

even if you don't wanna do it the right way....

1. Right click image
    2. Hold CTRL key down
    3. Click 'View Image'
    4. Look at picture in new tab
    5. ??????
    6. Profit

Comment by Quen
    09:24 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Perhaps I should've mentioned that in the post, but that might be insulting the intelligence of some readers...

Comment by ManaYagami
    14:23 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Quen, after all this time you still think that you don't have the right to insult everyone that reads your posts by explaining simple stuff like that?

If people don't like that you are explaining it like you were writing to a 5 year old, then they should pick up some of that "intelligence" stuff that you were talking about, because if they already have it, they won't be bothered by it and will laugh it off.

Comment by ManaYagami
    04:38 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sarcasm was lost on the tubes. What I meant is if people already know what to do, they don't need to protest against an explanation for those that lack the intelligence, because there are always people like that. No exceptions.

Even so, you're welcome, Quen.

18:52 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think he was referring to the people who -do- know what to do, so they don't need to be told, and might find it a little insulting that the author had to include it in the article.

Comment by Quen
    18:57 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, I meant something along that line.

Your support is appreciated nonetheless, ManaYagami.

10:59 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no you're not....
    They're just sum n00bs.... Of course they can't see the difference

07:07 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Absolutely stupid price. Not worth it.
    I don't really see the point in putting this on Blu-Ray.
    The series was created way back 1998 using the old fashion hand drawn cell method.
    Ideally, they should have released this on DVD as you'll get little benefit from HD apart from greater noise and grain levels. It also wouldn't have cost an arm and a leg then.
    Still, I'm sure we'll see lots of companies jumping on the Blu-Ray train soon with these older shows, seeing the chance to milk a dead property.

Comment by psuedonymous
    10:26 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Due to this, they can only take the old film, upscale it, and if remastering properly, go through frame by frame cleaning the film damage."
    You fail to grasp the meaning of the word 'remastered'. They make a BRAND NEW master from the original film stock, scanned at a much higher resolution. There is no upscaling involved.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    16:12 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They did release this on DVD, my uncle bought all of the CCS franchise, and yes if it wasn't thanks to him, I possibly wouldn't be here because I might not have been interested in anime if not...but ehh, who knows.

Comment by Lopson
    06:57 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I just hope someone gets these things out in the Internet, because I sure as hell can't afford these Blu-rays. What the hell is up with the price of digital media in Japan?

Comment by dmil666
    07:32 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yeah, a huge difference in quality is apparent when you look at it full res. I'm nearly blind and I can see it easily. It's still too much money for a cartoon series though.

Comment by Seravy
    08:31 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

$600...you could buy tons of figures from that, including higher quality ones. What's better, this or one Sakura-chan figure for your every room? ..$600 make that two per room instead...or three or even 10 if you buy cheaper ones, you get the idea I think... and in the not that unlikely case you actually like other anime series as well, you could say...buy one figure from your 10 favorite ones instead?
    Personally I'm comfortable enough with my plush Sakura I got for $10 who is always on my side while I'm sleeping and the figures on my computer for while I'm awake. They are not all Sakuras, there are other ones too. Unlike the anime, which I only see when I have time to watch it again (would rarely happen, as I already seen it 3 times, and have about 500 new series to watch before I have time to re-watch something), they are always with me whatever else I might be watching.
    Or, you could spend a bit more and buy an 1/1 figure? I've seen a picture of that somewhere so it probably exists. I wish I were rich enough to buy one.

Comment by Archer112
    06:53 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The colour is slightly brighter, and, if you look at the kanji in the note book, it's slightly less blury.
    Plus, there is slightly less pixalisation on Sakura-chans hair.

There IS an improvement, and this series IS worth owning..... But for that price, when the difference is hardly going to be noticable, when actualy watching.
    Seems pointless.

Comment by PLrin
    06:50 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I WANT TOO!

Comment by Momijitsuki
    06:04 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's just not fair. If I had that sort of a throwaway income, I'd happily pay that much...

I wonder if this will make its way overseas. I'd be happy with a DVD rerelease, honestly, one where I can get box sets for UNDER 200 dollars. >_>

Comment by ynfiltra
    05:57 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

damn! 600 smackers? no way!

Comment by basilio
    07:31 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's 70000 yen... which is closer to US$700~800...

But damn, the DVD version is not bad... I wouldn't want to invest that amount of money on that... I would rather buy 2~3 blu-ray players than buy that set... not like I NEED 2~3 blu-ray players... wait, maybe I do. One for the living room, one for showering with, and one to sleep with. Yah. Three blu-ray players.

Comment by Quen
    09:25 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But what would you play on the blu-ray players if you didn't buy any discs?

02:53 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably some PS3 games.

Comment by NitWit005
    12:11 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Those minigames that come on the Harry Potter DVDs of course. Basilio can become a quidditch master while showering.

Comment by Jarmel
    05:45 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn 600 bucks for part of a blu-ray set? Ouch.

Comment by Trayce
    11:12 14/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its-a.... SONY!

19:49 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

T0rr3nts exist. Why bother?

06:22 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe this is something you have to see in person, but I can barely notice a difference. That's not to say that I don't, just no difference worth shelling out a fortune over.

Comment by Ichigo69
    22:39 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

look at #6 Expand it to its full size. If you don't see a difference, I really can't help you...

Comment by Chen
    06:24 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is this just me or aren't their any differences in the comparison images? (Except for the last one)

Or is it necessary to stare a few minutes at each pic to realize minor changes?

06:38 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How are you people viewing these? Look at it in its full res, you guys seem to be using the scaling pop-up. Or not even that? Each image is 1500x1125.

Comment by Chen
    18:46 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, yeah. Those images are that big. But I can't see any significant differences.

After reading the headline I was somewhat deluded, that the blue-ray version would involve less clothes, which would justify a higher prize. But ... just this?

Comment by psuedonymous
    10:21 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If the differences aren't obvious when viewed at original size, then you may want to book an eye exam.