Game Industry: Gameplay Videos Copyright Violation?

mikumiku-gaming.jpg

Some surprisingly draconian castigation of videos of gameplay emerges from several (anonymous) game companies, who were interviewed by TV programme “The Net Star”, which focuses on anime and games:

netosuta_pd1.jpg

Company A: We don’t recognise them as they constitute copyright infringement.

Company B: We are concerned that they “spoil” or otherwise degrade the gaming experience, lowering the game’s value.

Company C: We tolerate them if uploaded by individuals to video sharing sites.

Gameplay videos are copyright violations? Reminiscent of anime screen caps being taken as infringing by certain companies

Clearly, attitudes differ substantially, and doubtless a different attitude applies to commercial reviews (which as you know can be suspect).

Via Hachimaki.

If you’re wondering about the context of this, it is likely in direct response to the current boom in “gameplay videos”, 実況プレイ動画 / jikkyou play douga (actual play videos) on NicoNico Douga.

These videos feature a video capture of normal gameplay, possibly edited or subjected to special conditions, and often spread over many lengthy episodes. Usually an attempt at amusing narration is provided by the creator. Often you can listen to ladies with nice voices.

Here are a few with nice voices for sample purposes (especially the first lady, who has received nearly 400,000 views on account of her lovely voice):

Obviously the latest games also feature frequently, and you can get a good idea of what ot expect from a game by watching them.

You can see more on the charts: just look at the “games” category and search for “実況” or similar. Nico’s tag is here.

Comment by KajunBowser
    04:55 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So, they don't want any free publicity, and in a world-wide economy like this? Fine, then they can go f*kk themselves. They just won't sell as many games as they usually do.

Comment by Palmtop Tiger
    07:53 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They just don't want you to see how much their game sucks until after you shell out the cash for it.

Comment by Wong
    09:20 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Usually combo exhibitions are usually what draws me back into fighting games of Tales of - games.

Comment by Techeese
    07:40 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So it's buy the game and watch the trailer from the company itself and not from people who bought it already

Comment by San Celluz
    03:48 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First video... my fav FF game and a very nice japanese voice? A sure win :D

And about the principal subject....if software houses are scared of gameplay videos then maybe is time to make better games.......

XSportSeeker is right when final users need to see how the final product is and not covered by fake pics and videos....

Anyone noticed that lately demos are available many days if not weeks AFTER the game is sold?

Comment by NitWit005
    04:53 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What probably really annoys these companies isn't the videos but the perceived loss of control over marketing. Game studio marketing departments always want to release videos that are 100% CG/cutscene.

A lot of the game videos out there flaunt the bugs and flaws of games, Just look at all the Gears of War 2 bug videos on youtube.

01:17 06/08/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Already happens a lot on YouTube

13:27 06/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome, Detective Conan music.

Comment by Momotaros
    11:22 24/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, the 2nd video's first BGM is Detective Conan's.

Comment by WingzDeath
    02:23 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought Miku is the 1st Vocaloid..Thn y is her type Vocaloid2..?

07:10 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kaito and Meiko were the first series.

Comment by Ace
    20:09 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh I used the title picture as my wallpaper for quite a while! But mine doesn't have those stats and life bars..

And damn, how else could we get tutorial on doing secret moves on fighting games? How to beat almost-impossible bosses in rpgs?

Comment by crimson-crusnik
    16:01 15/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

umm is there a game that has vocaloid characters? because if there is please let me know because i would like to play please telll me if there is.:D

Comment by fatcow
    03:17 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan's dumbass execs strike again!

02:50 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, this kinda reminds me of that one time when Rockstar decided to remove some of the videos of GTAIV from youtube when it first came out. Well that didn't stop people posting game play videos on youtube now did they? =D

Comment by Dan
    01:04 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I suppose next they will be claiming fan made guides are illegal because they rely on the company's intellectual property and reduce the value of "official" guides.

Comment by Supakitsune
    01:14 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So it's basically a few companies griping about Let's Play videos?

... lolwut.

(also, might I recommend the fantastic Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Let's Play done by Xkeeper? http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=72F6E6F7ABFDE32B)

Comment by Kyuubil
    01:03 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just an fyi, they use the reading Jikkyou, not Jitsugen, dunno why.

and heres to nico NOT banning these things, s'how I kill time when raping my bandwith for eroge >_>;

Comment by Artefact

This I did not know - out of interest where did you hear it? I've only been reading it on Nico...

Comment by Kyuubil
    01:58 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most people say it when they do the first part, I thought it was odd too.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2285074 - says it at the start, can get more examples if you want.

Comment by Artefact

Ah, I keep skipping the starts...

Comment by Kip
    01:03 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I could listen to the narrator from the first video talk for hours.

I would hope no one considers Vocaloid2 a video game. At least different from the incarnation of the software pictured at the start of the article I mean...

Comment by Artefact

I just did listen to her for hours whilst working on the site. A beautiful voice she has, and her videos easily get 80,000+ views from people of a similar mind.

Comment by Kyuubil
    02:01 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4065808 <-- even better voice, nd she's playing a horror game, it's all ~moe voice, ~KYAAA~

Comment by Kip
    08:12 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess I'm more into sultry and slightly-aged voices.
    The one in your video... not really wears on me, it's certainly moe, but in the one Artefact posted, hers definitely turns me on.

Comment by maru
    00:43 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I watched a series of them on Half Life 2. The guy who voiced it was hilarious..

Comment by maru
    01:11 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh and I forgot to mention how awesome is the 2nd video. Whats the ED? xD

Comment by Shuu
    20:56 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You don't know? That's the legendary Evangelion ED, Rei version...

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    00:52 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh my gawd....... fair use is fair use, you can not gain profit from all distribution, you can however gain profit from profit.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    01:00 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I, for one, will say this: I NEVER buy a game nowadays if I don't get to see an actual gameplay video NOT done by the company who made the game.

And my game collection is pretty big.

Gameplay "trailers" are very well known nowadays to have lots of editing, and sometimes even photoshopping and other scams just to make the game look like it's better than it really is.

And since I'm not an early adopter, my method usually is either watching videos of actual player, or finding a way to playtest it before buying, either by getting demos, or by pirating it.

Also, nowadays I'm not that much into gaming anymore. So if for some reason, gameplay videos, demos and pirated copies where to suddenly vanish, I'd just stop buying games period.

23:40 29/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How was that any different from anything back in the day? Movies, TV shows, even Video Games had trailers that looked better than the games (at least half the time) Granted they didn't have Photoshop, and other heavy editing that is used in today's world, but still nonetheless that's been around for a while. Heck even items in stores can even work...random question, but let me guess, you dislike people pirating Anime amidoingitrite?

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    01:17 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

rofl i like how one of the comments @ 0:30 saids "HENTAI"

Comment by Jin Stevens
    01:21 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Game play videos are copyright infringements - that's really dumb. I guess I can see the point, but it would stupid to actually try to enforce it. If someone makes a game play video, it's because they're a fan. Most American companies seem to encourage rather than discourage fan made videos, often displaying really good ones on their web pages.

Comment by Sean
    02:11 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What?
    Miku's power level isn't over 9000?

Comment by Shuu
    03:38 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Simple case of variable overflow. Miku's power level exceeded the scale so instead of blowing up the scouter started counting again from 0.

Comment by Lafitte
    02:25 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Stopping free promotion of their products seems kind of obtuse.

Comment by pus2meong
    01:50 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Woah, now this STUPID SHIT THING even reaching to game world...?

What they wanna do now? Sue Youtube and nico-nico douga?

If eventualy both video streaming site remove all vids, what next? suing bloggers?

Geez!

Comment by metatron
    01:52 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess those game companies doesn't have an idea that gameplay videos posted at video sharing sites and gameplay images posted at sites helps with the promotion and marketing of the game...

This is just dumb >.>