Taito Hikes Arcade Prices

arcade-konata.jpg

Citing today’s changing market, video game company Taito has opted to “adjust” the prices of all games installed in their chain of Japanese game centers (known as Taito Station).

This price change affects all fighting, prize grabber and medal games.

taito-center.jpg

The increase will no doubt be difficult for customers to accept, especially considering the added nuisance of having to cough up exactly 120 yen per play.

120endama-1.jpg

Across the board it appears to be 20%, so presumably they are either in desperate need of revenues, or are confident their customers will bear the price rises more than they flee the centers.

Via Hachimaki.

03:50 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy s***, I can't believe the arcades in Malaysia is so much cheaper than this. I could play Battle Gear 4 for RM2 (which is only about 50 yen, w00t!) and yet I thought that was ludicrously expensive..... =(

Comment by LHW
    02:34 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget the fact that the arcades in Malaysia are mostly filled with outdated games. Where is Melty Blood Actress Again, Blazblue, SFIV when I wanted to play? All I see are King of Fighters machines lying around. But the low price more or less compensates I suppose.

03:15 08/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Then you probably haven't gone to the arcade in Sunway Piramid I guess. Sure not all the arcades there are new, but they do have Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 DX, Initial D Arcade Stage 4, and Battle Gear 4 which is all up to date. More expensive, but has better machines than the one near Summit. But can't be said about the other arcades around Malaysia though.

But still, its hell of a lot cheaper playing the arcade games here in Malaysia than anywhere else I suppose, considering the price of the machine (even old ones like Daytona) still costs a lot of money compared to console games....

20:35 09/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Once they stop hogging the Tekken 6 machines, I'll consider going to the arcades. There's no better feeling than challenging a stranger to a fight and winning.

Even got a roll of 6 people beaten when an old dude came and after a close fight beat me.

Aah....I can't wait for Street Fighter IV....

Comment by SnooSnoo
    00:22 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Get it on a console. Screw arcades, they are leech monies Dx

Comment by Chardo
    09:04 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if you actually do some math, it is still cheaper to play it on arcade.

unless of course, its a fighting game, but then again, why a fighting game on a console? you lose all the competition, and most popular arcade fighters arent even on console ;__;

09:14 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Cash wise, yes, but you have to take into account the frequent trips to the arcade, waiting in line to play if the game is popular, which also means letting someone else have a turn too, and dealing with all the noise and shit. The monetary advantage typically is incredibly negligible when you factor in all the extraneous crap.

23:46 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dammit the SEGA one in Akihabara ALWAYS smells like smokes, the Taito one was so much cleaner.

02:51 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

because of this facts that people use naomi emulator xd

Comment by chibi-okami
    05:09 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

O.....M.....F.....G
    i cant belive they did that
    rasing the prices of arcade games

Comment by tingle
    22:09 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the dollar a play days in america killed our arcades.

17:54 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's a wonderful marketing move. I'm always happy whenever a company finds a a new way to relieve people of their money voluntarily. Capitalism just reallocates money from those who don't value money (or who have a lot of it) to those who do value money. Wish I had my own chain so I could implement this as well.
    Reminds me of the people who pay 4 bucks for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Just brilliant.

Comment by iapfah
    18:11 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

COMMIE SIGHTED RED ALERT RED ALERT

Comment by RaikenTB
    16:40 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I especially hate it because it's my favorite chain of game centers. I must have won about 40 or so figures at the Taito Game Station located in Nagasaki.

I'm also left to wonder if Taito will bother revising their change machines to deal with the new prices.

Comment by Artefact

Surprising that they don't have a card system like Suika...

Comment by mark
    16:33 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

paying up an additional 20¢ is almost blasphemous to arcade goers. I know i would rather keep my spare change...

Comment by イチロ イノ (Ichiro Ino)
    16:10 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

120yen is expensive... its about 50php. I can't even afford the 49php value meal...

Comment by DTA
    01:38 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, countryman it's cheaper here at home. Japan has the most expensive costs of living than the Philippines.

23:09 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you factor in the cost of living, the price comes down to about 25php; they'll still play the Wangan Midnight machines and stay away from the crane games.

23:10 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol a game here is 5-7 php for bad games and 15-20 php for good ones less than half than what the're paying

Comment by metatron
    20:42 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL filipino =P

Comment by FunkMasterFlex3
    16:17 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

%20 increase... those bastards. Like hell im paying $4.80 for a damn arcade game.

19:52 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

$4.80? Explain maths please

18:09 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They'll come up with a game card system soon enough. These greedy bastards are just pushing more and more people into counsel gaming and download games...

Comment by metatron
    20:49 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

¥100 days are over :<

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    19:49 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The paying more is less of a problem of the annoyance of having to have more coins, the ¥100 was easy as it was just 1 coin, now its 3, which makes coin purses much heaver and things all round a lot more annoying, as well as having to get the exact change ready, you cant just stop in and play.

22:39 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah. It's great to just jam a 1000 yen note into the cash machine and plonk the 100 yen coins down on the machine to grab as you need them. But manhandling 10 yen coins as well? Weak.

02:34 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no, I think the idea is genius

you just simply play the same game five times for ¥600

;)

Comment by Marine-RX179
    18:35 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see it now...

"Damn it I'm dead. Continue...Continue..."

*put in 100yen coin...*

"Sh1T!! I forgotten they raised the price, and I don't have any bloody 10yen coins on me!"

"Screw you stupid arcade center! This is the last time you are getting my money!" *Back to console gaming*

19:13 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wth... 20% price hike on arcade games? ...tax robbers?