Aya Hirano Heads All Star Dragonball Evolution Dub Cast

dragonball-movie-bulma
aya-hirano

Much maligned Hollywood Dragonball “remake” Dragonball Evolution, due stateside on the 8th of April, is set to receive a Japanese dub featuring the voice talents of top seiyuu (and comedy idols) such as Aya Hirano, in a move which may give the film some mild otaku appeal, finally.

Aya Hirano herself will be voicing Bulma, pictured above.

dragonball-movie-chi-chi
ami

Another interesting choice is 小清水 亜美 / Ami Koshimizu (Horo/Kallen/Charlie) as Chi Chi (above). We also see 甲斐田 裕子 / Yuuko Kaida (Shimei) as Mai (below).

dragonball-movie-mai-eriko-tamura
pic_kaida01

Other roles worthy of mention, despite their innate maleness, are 山口 勝平 / Kappei Yamaguchi (InuYasha) as Goku and 大塚 芳忠 / Hōchū Ōtsuka (Jiraiya) as Picolo; the rest are taken up with seiyuu less involved with anime.

Via Newtype Channel.

Non-casual anime viewers seem to be most hostile to the liberties Hollywood has taken with this film.

However, the involvement of Aya Hirano et al may prove problematic; could we witness a perverse situation where anime fans (to say nothing of Aya-maniacs) seek out the fansubbed Japanese dubbed version of the film?

Comment by ynfiltra
    07:44 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not worth the effort to watch this....LAME!!!

07:18 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Even though I think this is the worst idea since Paris Hilton, I'm going to watch this film just so I can see how much they've got wrong
    As a Dragonball/Z/GT fanboy I would much rather them make some more animated movies, which apparently they are, but I don't think anything will live up the the Z series

07:03 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

crap... what's next do they want to turn to a hollywood movie? One Piece? Naruto? Bleach?

07:17 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't even think about that, Hollywood are on here all the time looking for ideas

Comment by Captain Snow
    08:00 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Brb watching the dubbed japanese with subs.

Comment by Emperor
    08:11 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've seen the trailer and the film doesnt actually look bad and might actually be good!

My thoughts like everyone was this film was going to suck but unless you can judge by seeing the trailer there might be hope for this film.

11:48 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree its does look like a good film, what people are angry about that its supposed to be a "dragonball" movie. A movie true to the manga/anime.
    Looking at the trailer,its resembles nothing like them.

Comment by Muzaffar
    02:37 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh, okay........ I guess they could milk out as much as they want to make people to watch this movie, but this still doesn't mean the live-action film is going to get any better. *sigh* The movie will be an April, who knows what will happen then. Heck, I might watch this movie and do a review about it! xD

Comment by HELL
    05:17 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I totally wasn't going to watch this piece of shit so-called movie, but now after learning about this Ayasama news, I'll follow Artefact advice and look out for the english-subbed-japanese-dubbed version.

Comment by Tiny Red Man
    03:32 07/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fail x Fail = Epic Fail

07:50 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let them be happy, I for one will go with the english version. God, I can't stand Kappei's voice. And of all people, he get's to be Goku. So not good.

01:27 18/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, i might even watch this in japanese with englisch subs just for the fun of it.
    might not suck so hard then, plus while im reading i wont have to watch the crap going on in the movie lolololololololol

Comment by anony otaku
    16:33 17/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I WANT TO SEE Chow SHOOT LOTS OF NOSEBLOOD WHEN THAT " WHAT? THAT IS BULMA?" BULMA SHOW HER BUTT , AND GOKU TAKE OFF BULMA'S PANTIES IN THE CAR AND SAY 'WHERE ARE YOUR BALLS?' .

I SAY , THOSE HOLLYWOOD BLOKE SHALL TRY TO MAKE SOME LIVE ACTION VERSION MOVIE OF JAPAN ECCHI ANIME OR EVEN HENTAI , SUCH AS NEGIMA (MAGICAL TEACHER)

Harem IS THE BEST FOREVER ! COSZ THERE WILL ALWAYS MARKET TO MONEYBALL ROLLING AS LONG AS THERE IS MEN ON THE PLANET .

WHY MAKE SOMETHING SO TELETTUBBIES-SH LIKE THIS DBE ?

SEEMS THEY KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT DB

WHY NOT AS SERIOUS AS PEOPLE WHO MAKE HARRYPOTTER MOVIE ?

Comment by imasaiyanjin4
    17:28 24/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ah huh i rather shot myself in the eyes that i ever to live to see this dragonball evo movie man what a disgrace but o wells still a anime dragonball z fan hahha

Comment by imhgtsukishiro
    16:26 09/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She's just going to ruin her carreer. She skyrocketed as Izumi Konata, but now...

03:46 21/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no i dont think they should have voice overs cause it taking the whole thing to far you have good actors just follow the story line better bring raditz and gohan and krilling and for god sake have yamcha fighting cause he was the master of the worlf fang fist come on guys and at the end of the movie after goku dies show nappa and vegeta leaving from frieza's base in space coming to earth and it shows gohan getting ready to be trained by the new piccolo and why didn't they show piccolo spitting up the egg that had kami in it and show him splitting up into two ppl

12:26 22/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I AM SICK OF YOU PEOPLE listen to me you losers who think the movie sucks, either you are blind, havent seen it yet or are complete a holes and dont appreciate the fact that they made this movie at all. How can you say that the movie sucks, i mean ok yeah it didnt stick to the original storyline and i noticed that very early on, but it is a great movie and secondly, i think that the main characterhas seen the original anime cause why would they even consider picking someone that hasnt. Oh and thank you fo your comments you f ing rejects if they see this site and how you have slandered them they wont even bother making a sequal or even another db movie, so before you say anything else get your heads out from up your own arses and give a little appreciation oh and f you whoever says that i dont know what im talking about the animes actually came out when i was a kid and i have watched them over and over again and do appreciate the making of the anime series and the buu andandroid saga were my fave because they actually had better story in my opinion (thats just my opinion so shut the hell up!)

15:13 11/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

but it really SUCK! the only thing that amuse me in the movie was when bulma released her motorcycle from a capsule. other than that, it's really cheesy. imagine a movie having it's climax at only 5 minutes or less. the film would stand better if they removed the word dragonball from the film.

Comment by lightningsabre
    17:00 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm... I might actually watch it if it was in Japanese... maybe, a very big maybe. But yeah no chance of watching it in Japanese, unless there's fansub abounds. Interesting choice for Goku though. Ranma/Inu Yasha as Son Goku? Very interesting choice. Now to make a new anime with these voice cast.

Comment by motaku96
    13:24 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Still not interested in the movie but I'd be willing to check it out just to hear Aya Hirano, heck that's why I'm watching White Album right now. I wonder if anime fans would prefer the english or japanese dub.

Comment by Gantz_Playboy
    17:25 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want to bite Jaime Chungs Ass!....I've had acrush on her since "Real World: 14"

Comment by X
    18:19 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Deneb as Picolo?! This is MADNESS!

Comment by ach
    11:40 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll burn any cinema who plays that heresy.
    btw, you can sign a petition to stop the movie (though that would be useless please unload yourself on the comment). The address:

PD: I apologize for my bad english.

Comment by Jarmel
    01:57 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I expect that this to do reasonably well(no way in hell are they going to make a profit though) for the quality of this movie mostly due to people going to the movie just to mock it.

Comment by Peanutbutter003
    20:52 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Will we have Goku turning into a woman when water is thrown on him? Or Goku eating sweets?

Comment by neothoron
    20:35 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Confirmed.
    I would watch the dubbed version. Now if only they could replace their 3D actors with 2D drawings, it would be PERFECT.

Comment by iapfah
    08:17 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad it still wouldn't.

Comment by Artefact

Apart from the 3D backgrounds, they would look out of place.

21:24 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

mmm good point, lets change the background to 2D as well.

Comment by CC
    21:33 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not aware of any output filter that does that yet, but you could use (s)mplayer in combination with the "-vo caca" for a text version.

You could save each individual frame and apply some heavy filtering then put it back as a movie..

Neither is going to fix the story though.

Comment by muteKi
    21:27 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather just have a live-action film with the Japanese cast!

Comment by Kyo
    Comment by Supakitsune
    01:53 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To be honest, I've never been much of a DragonBall fan, though I have watched/read some of DBZ. However, having seen the trailer recently, it's pretty obvious that it'd be an abomination even if it HADN'T been DragonBall-based. Urrgh.

(Also, hi, muteKi!)

Comment by Void
    22:15 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As most people I've read the manga (still pondering if I should watch Dragon Ball Z) and when I saw the trailer I wasn't pleased.I haven't watch the anime but I've seen how the characters were colored and drawn in the manga/anime.

I know it's sometimes nearly impossible so keep to the exact details of the original work. BUT! Bulma having Black hair instead of Teal colored and Roshi having no white beard and sunglasses can't help bothering me.

I will probably watch the movie but im already extremly sceptical to it.

Comment by minakichan
    22:07 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Crap... that's a good cast...

Comment by Jin Stevens
    01:36 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you referring to the Japanese dubbing cast or the Hollywood production?

Comment by chad001
    06:28 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Which is definitely more obvious?

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    10:18 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering the news topic, I'm going to bet on the actors.

LOL

Comment by blinx01
    21:52 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why on earth anyone not Japanese would want to listen to a Japanese dub over the original english is beyond me.
    With animation it's not *so* bad dubbing in other languages but live action... full of lulz to say the least.
    Just lost a little respect for the Japanese with this news.

22:10 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Are you stupid?

How do you lose respect for people dubbing something in their own language? They dub it so their people can watch it, not ours. Kinda like how we dub their live action movies and anime so we can watch it.

And the reason we would want to watch this dubbed in the first place now is because some of us love Aya Hirano, and hearing her voice is a plus.

Comment by blinx01
    00:23 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can people not accept subtitles and watch something in it's original form?
    Hell, even the US and Europe have started to show asian films in cinemas in their original language with subtitles.
    Why can't Japan do the same with this?
    What you're saying is basically the equvilant of someone from the US saying they want the guy who dubbed Goku for FUNimation to voice-over Justin Chatwick in the live action!
    It just quite a funny situation considering the amount of people on here who complain about English dubs for Japanese anime and yet are in favour of this.

02:09 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most Hollywood films shown in Japan are shown in a voice-over version and a separate subbed version. In many theaters the showings for the subbed version is fewer.

Comment by blinx01
    02:42 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's quite a shame.
    I thought Japan were leading the way for presenting films in their original language in cinemas but it seems I was obviously wrong... :-/

02:50 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed, Namikawa Daisuke voiced a lot of famous good looking male actors such as Brad Pitt and Hayden (Guy who was Angsty Anakin)

Comment by tim
    22:00 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

blinx01, you expect this from a nation what wants to speak English on their own language? (they have a whole alphabet for this,the katakana). Just listen to any Japanese, speaking english. Dhey just don't care about right pronouncation, or thetune (or whatever) of the language. Altho, if they did, they could speak good English as well. If you'd like to understand their crap english, there are English lessons specially for the Japanese-English...

I don't care much for the dub. I'm used to subtitles, as my native language is not english, and I wanted to see this movie just to torture myself confirming how shit movies can some people can make, and give their name to them. And while doing so, I'll maybe using the Jap dub.

tl;dr japs think they re superior, this applies to their language as well.

Comment by Bastille
    23:13 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let's see Blinx...

A bunch of Hollywood actors who have no idea about the characters they are playing, and a bunch of Japanese seiyuus whose names actually mean something. Which is more likely to make people watch it? It actually is a brilliant move by someone since now some people will actually buy the DVD for it.

I'm just saddened this much thought couldn't have been put into the script because clearly it wasn't.

Comment by Machiro
    23:27 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whose names says nothing? Even I know Aya Hirano and I not her fan.
    You are a retard, go back to your cave, dude.
    BTW, Emmy Rossum is a DB's fan, Justin have some friends fans from DB too.

20:31 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Please... Just kill me...

Oh for Haruhi's sake... I can't stand Holywood anymore

Comment by Vin-nii
    20:08 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

refresh my memory...

who the hell is Mai?

22:43 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One of the Lord Pilaf´s two main henchmen in Dragonball. No actual connection with Picollo in the anime though.