Final Fantasy XIII Gameplay Video Quite the Spectacle

ff13-trailer

The latest trailer for Final Fantasy XIII is absolutely ravishing. It shows both in-game cutscenes, and actual battle scenes for the first time, and the results are most spectacular.

This game looks set to sell a lot of PS3s (in Japan at any rate)…

The best way to view the trailer is via the official site, which offers it in huge resolution, but YouTube also provides an HD version below:

If anything, it looks almost too good for an RPG which will likely not deviate far from the third person story-driven romps we have seen so far; shouldn’t there be usable flying machines at the very least? Will the gameplay system keep pace with graphical innovations? Does anyone even care with these graphics and hopefully a story to match?

Comment by TerrawindX2
    18:07 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I know how the battle system works now.

Think "LEGEND OF LEGAIA".

Chaining combos to make special moves. Lowercut, uppercut, rush attack, etc, and you get something that looks like a cutscene attack.

Hardly original, but it's good that it's being implemented and popularised.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    18:49 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The PS2 sequel is pretty bad, even if it has some neat ways of equipment management..I used a code breaker and removed the weight limit. The game became fun to play and I got some ridiculous combos/damage going.

THo over the years I have been burned by Jrpgs the translation from 2D to 3D is lulzy at best from large and semi well built rpgs to mostly smaller more dumbed down/stupid built RPGs...even DQ8 annoys the hell out of me with its lack of depth but I can see most of the good in it....FF12's gameplay/equipment is horrid.

I picked up Wild arms code f or whatever the remake is..it sucks... its not as bad as WA3 but ti still sucks..... if you are going to do a remake..heres a clue....don't skimp on the level design and don't remake the Gdam gameplay.....

Anyone play the WA game that came out around the time the remake did? is it any good or more small maps and lulzy combat/equipment?

Comment by TerrawindX2
    14:03 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I cried when I played the PS2 sequel. It was merely a shadow of its former self. It had music from previous games, but that's just it. It was a horrible, horrible game that didn't do the original justice.

Legend of Legaia is one of the best RPGs for the PSone.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    16:35 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would nto call ti best it suffered from a few issues but not as many as newer Jrpgs/RPGs.
    I'll call ti a solid B title with Wild arms and a few other series that while fun lacked soemthing.

I of coarse call FF8,10 and 12 C class Jrpgs...*hides*

But really the standard game now adays is a 4-5 on a 1-10 scale or c-b your lucky to get a true fun and well made A class game anymore.

Legaia 2 was a c+ class game Wild arms 3 and F more like a C-..yes "Hell" has levels LOL

21:33 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As much as I enjoy Final Fantasy, I'm really getting tired of the same "We're a group of rebels fighting an entire evil empire!" theme =[

13:24 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

trailer sort of reminded me of the beginning of FFVII where everyone is on the train...

Comment by Habiba Sarabi
    11:08 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All we need is a new trailer for Versus.

Comment by FourChan
    12:04 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a lot of Japanese friends on XBL who has a lot of japanese friends on XBL and they're all buying it for xbox 360, Sorry Sony. =(

Comment by FourChan
    12:05 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OH yeah PS3s Price Tag vs 360s Price tag, go buy a 360, cause from what I heard by Square Enix the Graphical difference wont be that big.

Comment by motaku96
    13:04 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The graphics look great as usual. As for the combat system, it looks like they kept the atb but threw in the ability to combo and made it a little faster. Looks like it might turn out well. Only time will tell.

12:15 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Any download links or torrent for the avi/mp4 of this trailer?

Comment by i386
    21:36 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anything but Draw & Gambits, kthx SquareEniX

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    03:33 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll take gambits with a preset sheet for quick changing, instant off button to turn them off for filed management where I can pause and place characters were I want and attack how I want.

Automated fighting is good for leveling and basic travel but when I want to be engorged in a game manual and solid gameplay is a must...

Comment by Anonymous125
    02:23 05/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

IS it me or is the soldier picture looks like an enemy soldier from the game Killzone or the soldiers in the movie Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

00:07 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the soldiers, whom reminded me of the clone troopers, in the first trailer was, "Damn, where the hell is Vader?"

Comment by Bronxdragon
    07:59 28/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I care more about the story and voice acting than the visual.......but once they get new toys they always wanna play with them and forget about the stuff that really matters.

Comment by ALAKTORN
    02:59 20/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the vid has been removed by the user

21:11 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The battle system seems to be like from Xenogears. You have to press/select an ammount of attacks with one character in one turn, depending on the amount of his or her action bar.

Comment by Ragnarokfox
    05:05 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bring back materia system from 7, or the equip/learn system from tactics/tactics advance and 9. gambits and draw sucked so much imho

Comment by FallsFromGrace
    07:39 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or give each character their own system, one from each of the last 5 -6 games and let you pick who you play

Comment by H8gwb
    10:33 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course they'll need to ramp up the epic crazy action bullshit in the cutscenes, especially after Advent Children.

Pretty soon, Square will be having their characters warp TIME when they attack or move faster than walking speed, firing bullets BACKWARDS through the very PLANET.

Whoa.

Comment by Ashton
    12:43 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So that guy that looks like some sort of american bishonen bum is the main character ?

Comment by Void
    01:17 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks cool. Gonna wait with the pre-order until near release.

Comment by Tassle
    01:16 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck the Final Fantasy Franchise

Comment by Tassle
    13:57 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Some people don't understand sarcasm eh?

Comment by Chris
    10:47 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Amen man. FF stopped being worthwhile after it got ported to PS, with the sole exception of tactics.

That's right. I never did like FF7.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    10:58 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dunno FF7 was generic but it was fun and had some interesting weapon/armor setups that with the metria system just worked and worked well.

Now FF8 was a disaster gimped weapons,armor and magic how worse can a FF game get?

FF9 while was not much better story/character wise had everything a FF should have great weapons, armor and skill system.

FF10 was gimped in just about everything, weapon customization came to late to save it.....

FF12 gets alot of things right the level design is great even the real time combat is not so bad but it just falls apart from there...

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    18:06 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I kept playing FF12 and playing FF12 and finding the grind..er...grid skill system to be broken but also entirely bland since even the limit breaks are almost the same for everyone with a tiny bit of variation.

Plus not getting any worth while equipment and having a gimped accessory setup... its just plain bad...its almost needed that the game can play itself because its fcking boring.

If I ad some RTS style party/character management on the battle field my lower half would be dripping for the game in a god way but its completely lack luster...

I still have dreams of Balthier(no not in that way) using Edgers tech system from FF6, FF12 is bland and boring from equipment to skills to even gameplay,level deisng, story and characters are ok even better than 7-10 but good lord the way you are forced to play the game is just a fcking mess.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    17:19 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I pretty much agree there with you except for FFXII, but that's only because I ruined myself on FFXI, so...yeah, I can't blame Chris for not liking FFVII really, though I did enjoy it decently enough.

Comment by Heyjey
    08:22 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it must be Tassle's birthday, and since he doesnt have anyone to celebrate with, he decided to troll out of anger. Understandable

Comment by yuuji
    01:33 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

final fantasy is an old franchise..

but at least they are moving with the times and utilizing nice technology..

i think what's shown in the trailer above is actual gameplay / snippet of how the game would go for the first few minutes..

i may get a ps3 just for this lol

01:50 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The NA FF site has the new trailer too in SD and HD but with subtitles for those interested in what they're saying.

Comment by Jarmel
    01:56 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This and MGS4 were the only games I wanted a PS3 for until last E3. Now I just have to wait an extra year(sigh). I hope the gameplay is anywhere as remotely good as the graphics.

Comment by repure
    01:11 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Will the gameplay system keep pace with graphical innovations?"
    "Does anyone even care with these graphics and hopefully a story to match?"

i loled at this one! its true that some games really shows off a really great opening and superb cut scenes but when it comes down to game itself it often sucks or cant even come close to those over the top cut scenes!

for example "RF online" i was really surprised to see that this game has some sort of plot to it very rare for an online game whether its romantic or action based or both!it was really awesome the graphics was well detailed and the char.animation was pretty good and after watching those i was eager to play the actual game itself but then i found out that none of those cutscenes that was previewed earlier even exist in the game!! it was just a generic grinder mmorpg and a very boring one..so i played thanks to nostalgia...then quits after reaching the max lvl of 50 at the earlier patches...
    over all the game SUCKS! its like a great yummy looking ice cream but with shit hidden inside....

Comment by Panther
    01:00 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I certainly care about the story, but the gameplay is probably more important. We all know FF's history, and as of late it has been bad.

Comment by Onsokumaru
    00:22 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I went nuts when I saw the new trailer. I'm wondering how that new battle system will work out. It captures the speed of FFX-2 quite nicely.

Comment by Artefact

I think I played too much Tribes back in the day, being restricted to a single plane in a ultra-futuristic 3D cityscape just doesn't seem natural. Nor does fighting huge robot monsters without the aid of bombers and tanks...

Comment by Geerie
    01:55 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i have to agree with chris real men fight giant robots with swords. like kamina from gurren lagann that was badass.

Comment by Chris
    10:44 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Real men fight mechanical enemies using only their katana and pure bad assery.

04:11 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Enough expository banter! Now, we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!

Comment by Onsokumaru
    08:33 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is anything "natural" in the Final Fantasy games? lol That shouldn't surprise you.

Comment by iragedsohard
    03:22 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck Year Tribes!

Comment by Rinfinite
    00:47 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Combat's looking good. I just hope issuing commands isn't a mess like The Last Remnant's.

00:54 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is the PS3 version in the JP and US be release at the same time?

Comment by blinx01
    02:35 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No. Japan end of the year, followed by the PS3 and 360 version in the US next year.

As for my view, can't see what everyone's making a big fuss out of to be honest.
    The CG scenes look spectacular as always, but the in-game looks modest at best when compared to other AAA games.
    I'm more interested in the gameplay and story.
    My confidence in the FF series was lowered considerably by the trite that was FFX-2 and FFXII, so I'm hoping this is a return to form, proving that SE aren't a spent force...

Comment by Dagda
    04:50 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I couldn't agree more. The visuals really don't seem all that impressive, don't get me wrong the game still looks good but the environments really look out dated. At least the people still look fantastic.

07:13 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FFXII was quite good, the combat system was quite refreshing.

A treat if you like RPGs but hate the battle loading and generally slow paced combat.

The story, while tried to be epic, was acceptable.

00:57 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Reminds me of Final Fantasy: Crisis Core or FF XII...

I kinda miss the traditional version of the FF games.

Comment by maxchain
    00:56 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The sooner this is out, the sooner they can lift that silly self-embargo of theirs on the PSP companion game, Agito or Fortissimo or Cunnilingus or whatever. Not that they've really kept us up to date on how close that even is to completion.

Comment by metatron
    02:17 30/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm curious at it's battle system and how it works