Japan’s New Weapon Against NEETs & Hikikomori: Miruku

milk-vs-hikikomori-1

The government wants otaku NEETs and hikikomori integrated into society and properly employed (or rather, paying taxes to support the oppressive weight of the unreformed pension system), and to this end at least one regional jobs bureau has opted to fight fire with fire, by unveiling its moe anti-NEET weapon Milk (or Miruku), pictured.

milk-vs-hikikomori-2

The “Support Station” in question is looking to get young people into work, so it seems moe marketing was deemed appropriate, and as a result we can now read “image character” Miruku’s profile (strangely her three sizes are omitted) and even her blog.

Just why she is called Miruku (which they romanise as “milk”) is not made clear.

All moderately interesting, but will it winkle NEETs out of their shells?

There is one slight problem which may impede Miruku’s ability to get people out of their foetid rooms and into the jobs centre: it seems Miruku will only be available to assist online…

Via Neko Allergy.

milk-vs-hikikomori

Comment by pokrec
    21:28 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Well, as far as I know, Japaneses have otaku problem at their own wish. The social construction of the Japanese society is rather simple: rat race from kindergarden to retirement. You must be better than others, you must get to the better school, you must get to Toudai to mean something in the society. Every Japanese is indoctrinated from a small child, that wellness of the society is most important, he, as the unit, as the private person is meaningless from the point of society, as an ant from the point of view of the whole ant colony.
    Moreover: not many people have so much psychic resistance to withstand this pressure. Every thinking human will get to the point, that if something is painful and does not give him any bonus, everything goes to society - this person will raise mutiny and this is why so many persons are hikikomori. Do you know, how much is a small condo in Tokyo or Osaka (I do not mention the cost of a house in Japan)? And that the majority of Japanese youth sees, that this money is substantially more, than they will likely earn in their life?
    What is the sense of living on the earth, when you have no hope, when you see, that you will be the slave of the employer and the landlord for all your life?
    I am not Japanese, I am Polish. And I think, that if I were a Japanese, I would become a hikikomori. I would be the perfect fit for this. And probably I would finish in a car with a charcoal oven lit up. Thanks to God I do not live in Japan. I HATE rat-race and fighting for the existence. I can work hard, like building a house for myself, but I hate to compete with others for this house. I think, hikikomori is somebody like me living in Japanese reality. I do not fit mentally to hierarchical and homogenous society. I consider myself as the entity capable to live independently on others. I am myself, I belong to myself, not to a society. I am the nail not to be knocked into the row.

Comment by hauntedview
    23:00 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well said pokrec...

02:43 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of European nations are said to have the best education system ever, yet they don't appear to hold much power like US, China, or Japan. Maybe because higher education doesn't equal ambition or the progress that comes from such rat-race society.

Anyway, if Japan needs solution to their pension system and caring old populace, why not pay the NEET to work some hours per week for social job like caring for old man or something?

Comment by pokrec
    07:54 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The problem is not in education. And not in the educational system. Anyone can achieve knowledge and skills IN SPITE of existing educational system ;-). Japanese system maybe is more effective in terms of economic power, but why there are so many hikikomori's and suiciders? What is life about? Living for life itself is an absurd. Japanese and european cultures are different. In Europe always the human was the most important. The world exist for a human. Everyone has the right to live happily. The world for us is something like our house in which we want feel comfortable.
    It comes from our religions. In Japanese shinto gods were in everything, everything was god. So, they worshipped nature. In Europe christianity teached, that there is only one God and He is a Person. Everything was created by Him, so a human being was, moreover, a human is the most ideal from all other creatures and has to make the earth his subordinate.
    What would a man gain even if he gained whole world and lost his soul? We can see the answer in Japan - so great, developed and rich - with so many NEETs and suiciders. It is also often said, that money does not bring happiness. And it is true. It does not mean, that without money happiness is impossible, but means, that money do not give happiness automatically.

18:20 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Before Christianity western civilization has developed stoic and humanism philosophy, so it's true that it's more about cultural thing. Meanwhile, no matter how admirable Japanese is in achieving economic and soft-culture power (let's face it, most young generation knows more about Japan and USA rather then their own local tradition), their competitive society produces 'wastes' or those who can't keep up which is the NEET and hikikomori problems.

I'm curious about this Miruku system though. If their purpose is still to force them to conform to the mainstream Japan society and mindset, I believe it'll bring no much result.

Comment by menosketiago
    07:22 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or maybe because an European Nation is the size of a state of US or smaller and after WW2, eurpeans got tired of warmonging and power struggle in favor of harmony and respect between nations...

Comment by Artefact

Is that European laughter I hear?

Comment by Fyl
    16:12 02/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Having a rat race which some (otaku, hikkis, NEETs) drop out of IS the solution for Japan's troubled aging society. They're screwed without the rat race; leaving a few people behind they can tolerate for the greater good.

Comment by alex1_phang3
    10:40 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That'd be what I said if I have better writing skills.

Comment by alex1_phang3
    Comment by Tommy
    21:51 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really do hope this work. So, there won't have all these NEET roaming around and not socialize with other human being.

Miruku Is kinda cute!~

23:58 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Using an anime character to lure otaku to get out of their homes? Seems a litle counter-productive to me.

Comment by Hangmen
    23:37 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really can't think of anything much than long phallic objects penetrating all her orifices. Oh, /r/ Rule 34 please.

14:49 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First national a bird, now a national loli? I expected japan`s to don a kimono or miko outfit.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    10:05 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Here's an idea: Get a big studio to make a moe anime with Mikuru but limit the broadcast to job recruiting offices. No cameras allowed.

Or hire some idols to do the job recruiting.

If that doesn't work, that NEET or hikki is a lost cause...

Comment by XSportSeeker
    10:11 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Though with my idea, I can only imagine the lines outside job recruiting offices.

And to keep a high rate of actual employment, maybe "if you get the job, you also get this 1 grope ticket" xD

Comment by tingle
    09:53 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

can we get a word for word translation?

08:41 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, nothing more to do than to start placing bets on how many doujins featuring Miruku will have the plot as something along the lines of "NEETs gangbang Miruku at Support Station."

I'm gonna go with all of them.

Comment by DriftWise
    00:23 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i got 8$ saying theres at least one featuring cow bestiality,8:1 odds

Comment by Sorrior
    11:07 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nah look at the background expect some cows or horses in at least 3.

Comment by Geerie
    10:48 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ten bucks on some milk bukkake.

Comment by Channing
    12:00 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is quite a NEET idea. :V

17:43 18/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What is the name of the unemployment company that used her as a mascot?

And why is it so hard to find pics of her? All I can find is pics from a lame anime comedy called "super milk chan" which has NOTHING to do with this company.

Comment by tyciol
    14:19 06/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why don't they just bribe us out into the open with lolis?

Comment by Ben
    14:13 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet it could have some effect

05:33 11/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I read Mikuru at first. Because you know...the combination of "milk" and "Miruku" makes you think of mikuru.

14:56 17/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

She's actually kinda cute.

Comment by H8gwb
    12:49 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, they seem to have hit the nail on the head.

Except they might have missed slightly and crushed their thumbs, instead.

Comment by Onni
    07:19 09/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Miruku needs more loli and less boobs.
    Staying inside today.

Comment by Cerenado
    16:15 28/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, last time I checked, the Japanese Government IS quite prone to use Anime-oriented themes for their ads and marketing... not just the Government mind you.
    They usually go for cute or moe stuff it seems though.

07:36 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not going to work.

Comment by dood
    00:55 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Gov' can pay studios/mangakas and use their characters.
    Imagine a crazed NEET who thinks he is married to a 2D character and then she tells him to get a job/get out etc.
    Could be a more effective method, no?

Comment by linkinstreet
    01:09 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Somehow I agree lol

Comment by LoliHat
    00:32 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"paying taxes to support the oppressive weight of the unreformed pension system"

Perhaps the NEETs and Hikikomori are just going John Galt???

Comment by mtallmen_184
    02:38 07/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>They still have pensions!

00:31 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When I saw the name Mikuru, I was expecting someone a little bustier . . . .

Comment by Ichigo69
    05:52 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

facepalm.jpg

mi-ru-ku not mi-ku-ru

sigh, desu~

Comment by Anon
    19:44 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

moriyama miruku perhaps?

Comment by Fonzer
    00:29 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a job and do go out for it and back home but i still live like an hikikomori.
    What would japan do throw me into the middle of society,free parties and stuff??

I rarely go out,but still not such an extreme case as an hikikomori actualy is.

Comment by trygle12
    14:12 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You and me need to learn how to take it easy...

I can't party for the life of me.

Comment by Chris
    13:20 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You're not hikko, just socially reclusive. Like the difference between being afraid of high places, and having acrophobia to the point where using a step ladder is impossible :v

01:12 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

NEET: Not educating, employing or in training right?

Comment by Gantz_Playboy
    04:43 29/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OOOOOHHH!- Is that what NEET it means- lol. In the US we just call them "Slackers" or Burn-outs.

How would this work in America? Get the Cheerleader from "Heroes" or Miley Sirus to do commericals saying "GET A JOB!"- lol.

They should just have "Pretty Cute Girls" sell everything...we could cure hunger or diseases if young ladies (chicks) dressed like Haruhi, Mikuru, and Kurumu (Ros-Vamp). Imagine Haruhi at a Job fair?- "Get Movtivated you Lumps! You need paychecks to buy things to impress others!...what is tie you're wearing Ray-on?"- lol.

Comment by Quen
    01:24 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Pretty much. Not (in) Employment, Education (or) Training.

It's originally a UK acronym.

Comment by sealouse
    01:23 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On her blog it says she lives on a dairy farm? That would explain her name. On another note, I am quite impressed at how well Google translate works.

Comment by Sorrior
    11:03 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This just makes the potential h FAR worse and more entertaining.

Comment by Matteas
    01:48 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, I have just taken a look at the blog. She is 22 years old?! Feel the power of unaging loli XD

Comment by yuuji
    01:56 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the government probably dont want any loli problems xD

Comment by Anon
    19:46 31/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ha it looks like 9-13 yo for me in some pics lolz

Comment by Nihon Hikkikomori Kyokai
    00:27 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This wont work! It's another conspiracy I tell ya!