NicoNico Complex: NicoNico Douga Unlocked

mikumiku-complex

We have received full embed permission from NicoNico Douga, which I believe is a first for an English language anime site, and quite possibly for a solely English language site too.

This took a fair bit of organisation, and a meeting at the Dwango (Nico) offices, so it is not hard to see why it is uncommon even amongst Japanese sites…

With this you can freely view videos from Nico embedded on our pages without an account or otherwise, and also you can freely post videos in the forums. Additional features are also planned.

Remarks & Explanation:

The interface to the external player should be simple enough – the “chick” icon in the bottom right corner will turn off the scrolling comments; in some videos they are highly recommended for visual effect, in others they are a distraction. Playing the video in question is accomplished using the triangular “play” icon, oddly.

If you click elsewhere in the window, you will be taken to the main Nico page for the video.

Commenting and other such functions are only possible whilst logged in, and from the Nico site itself – just click the window as usual to go to the relevant page.

You can also freely post videos from NicoNico Douga on the forums; see here for details.

If you have problems playing a video, please check below in the comments: you may need to disable certain anti-virus software’s referrer blocking features, and allow scripting for Nico (and here).

Please do not ask anyone involved with Sankaku Complex in an official capacity how to download videos from Nico. We will have no choice but to ignore any such questions.

The videos will be affected by the dreaded economy mode as usual; typically this runs from 1900-0200 JST (GMT +9), and depending on the video (especially popular ones) may result in dramatically reduced visual quality.

You can get round this by buying a NicoNico Douga premium membership (500JPY a month) – this will ensure full quality at all times both on Sankaku Complex and on Nico.

Expect further developments on the chart front when they are ready…

Gratuitous Nico videos are now provided by way of an exciting test; these are the all-time top 5 videos on Nico (in terms of playbacks, strange as they are):

1. 5,755,508

2. 5,327,052

3. 5,131,177

4. 4,841,635

5. 4,186,410

Let us choose to believe it is because they are old that they dominate so…

Comment by Peanutbutter003
    12:10 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nicely done. Good job!

Comment by Xzone
    12:21 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome!

Videos from Nico load a lot faster than those mirrored here. Thanks for your continued efforts to make the site even better!

Comment by Lump
    12:02 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ok about to give up and say fuck nico, it isnt worth all this trouble. Last shot. Heres a screen shot of what I'm seeing instead of the videos. I even disabled all my addons and tried internet explorer as well. No Dice

Comment by Lump
    12:07 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And just so you all know, i even reinstalled firefox and flash just to make sure it wasnt either of those

Comment by Chris
    13:39 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lump, same problem. The text under each video is as follows:

申し訳ございませんが、お使いの環境ではご利用になれません。
    リファラの送信を許可するか、ニコニコ動画上でご覧ください。

Unfortunately, your environment is not available.
    To approve the sending of the referrer, please see the video in good humour.

Are you from Canada? Maybe they've set embedding up to only be available to IPs from specific countries...

14:28 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Suffering from the very same issue. If its area related I'll go cry now. Updated everything and so on, so cant be that either (unless I'm missing something vital)

Comment by Lump
    16:13 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm in california so it cant be because of our area. I've tried everything I can think of to try and fix this =/

Comment by Lump
    10:18 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon dude 2 posts above, I have the misfortune of having norton as well. What exactly did you do to fix the problem?

Comment by Artefact

I'm glad you all got it to work ok!

Comment by Chris
    20:54 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

AH HA!

Alright, so my problem was this:

I always had it set to 1. I used to keep it at 0 but it broke too many sites that I use regularly. 2 is the default.

Opera and Explorer loaded up Sankaku just fine. This explains why...

If it's not working for -all- your browsers though I believe you have, as Artefact mentioned, some kind of program stripping the referer heading

20:53 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Spent all morning messing with my browsers, to no success. What I finally noticed was my security settings on other applications such as firewall/antivirus. Having thought that this was all browserbased, I now hang my head in shame.

Anyhow, as Artefact said above, its about the refering part, and for instance Norton has that tucked away so that only advanced users actually get to fiddle with it, EVEN if you give sankaku/nico full rights to bypass the firewall. Also check your AV-suite for any browser security modules.

In the end it was a 1 minute fix, if I'd only thought of where to look.

Comment by Artefact

It's your choice of software which is doing this - there are no IP restrictions.

You need to disable your overzealous referrer stripping package, whatever it is. It needs the referrer info to identify which domain you've come from, and whether that is an authorised one, otherwise anyone could post links to Nico and they would have no control.

FF and IE never strip referrers by default, you need to disable/add an exception to your plugin/security package. It's probably something along the lines of "prevent HTTP referrer being sent to external domains". Or perhaps make SC and NND trusted sites.

Comment by KiNA
    12:31 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe a congratulatolary comment is much needed here .. so

Congratulation for being the pioneer (being the first english site with Nico vid) and keep up the good work :)

Comment by UFO
    12:33 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have always want to watch video on Nico xd. May I ask what is the name of the song in the second video? Thanks.

13:06 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GJ Artefact ;)

if you dont pay Nico videos play only in poor quality around 14:00-20:00 jap. time. with the time difference i rarely had a problem watching videos on HQ on my german account.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    12:44 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm I dont know if i like the new player or not ~__~

Comment by Fonzer
    11:23 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what now i recieve a lower quality then before on sankaku ;(.
    The vids artefact posted were better quality i think.

Comment by Scotty
    10:30 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Amazing job Artefact.
    This'll bring about so much respect to the site. It's amazing at how fast this site is growing. No doubt in my mind that this site will be one of the most visited for us types of people. Great job, and I'm sure you'll keep it up.

Comment by asianprostitute1500
    10:33 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I fukken love Japanese Ronald McDonald. He looks like an even bigger pedo than the ones you see in American advertisements.

10:09 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh wow. I was trying to find out how to work embeds for you guys (since a site I work on had the ability to embed NicoVideos), but I couldn't find exactly how it was coded. But I'm glad to see that you guys got it.

Comment by Kiuki
    11:22 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Need...to...hug...someone... OMG THANK YOU!

Yeah, I already had an account, so all I needed to do was click the the link and login, but this makes it so much easier! And man, getting embedded videos is pretty rigorous, but with all the bandwidth that's being used up on the site alone, I'm almost not surprised.

Comment by Heavyoak
    10:52 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

curses! now my method of downloading no longer works.

10:47 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've had an account on Nico for a while and occasionally watched some stuff (【汚部屋☆47】rocks!) but I had no idea that Nico actually had some pretty restrictive external site embed policies. I was just happy with the past basic embedded videos on SanCon but this just makes it more fun. Thanks for all the work!

23:56 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is great to hear, Artefact. Congrats on getting the approval from Nico, now Sankaku will be over 9000!!!! I did want to register to Nico but didn't bother cause I can't freaking understand Japanase (well, I'm trying at least) but wow, never expect this to happen at all.....

Anyway, I would so totally donate to SC if I had money (and a credit card/paypal account) so like yeah, you guys totally deserve credit for the effort....

Comment by Jura
    12:27 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm able to watch videos on NND, but not here. Just has the comments and no sound/video. Using latest Opera and latest Flash.

Comment by Kev
    15:47 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have the exact same problem with my firefox.
    Did you allow for third party cookies setting to be on. Maybe your Opera browser have this setting turned off in options.

13:50 24/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Where did you get the Miku pic at the top of the post from?

Comment by Ace
    13:45 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oooh. Congratulations!

Will the 10 and 12 PM alert go off? hmm...

Comment by F O E
    15:21 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Congratulations! So many comments... hopefully someone can reply to this. Is the "original" for video 4(Kumikyoku?) still available somewhere? I'm not sure what is the "original"(audio or the background animated karaoke video), but I'm interested in the video.

I've been wanting to keep a copy of it in the best quality possible, but it seems like it's gone from Nico. There might be a better alternative as well. There's also Ryuuseigun and maybe other similar videos, but the original is the one I'm most interested in. Can these videos be bought in any form? Or if not, the audio?

18:53 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you go onto Youtube.com, and look for nico nico douga kumikyoku, there should be a group of three videos, all of that melody.

If you click onto those, you can find a symphonic version, the 'original sounds' version, and a no-vocal karaoke version.

But those are only audio, no video.

Comment by Svinto
    20:14 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

See if I get this straight.

If you watch Nico videos through Sankaku around 19:00-02:00 JST (GMT +9) you will get a poor quality version. Other times you will get the full version?

Comment by Artefact

Yes, that's roughly the shape of things. The peak hours vary based on the number of users, so that should be a worst case scenario, and some less popular videos never go into economy mode as they are hosted on less busy servers.

Comment by Xavi
    19:38 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Another job well done Artefact and co. keep up the good work! Another pleasant surprise today...

Comment by carr0ts
    19:32 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

miku miku shite yanyo~
    >_<
    i love that song
    anyone has translation?

Comment by alex1_phang3
    07:12 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yay!! now I can watch Nico vids :D

07:09 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh man, that scrolling text is getting on my nerves.

10:59 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just click the chicken (?) image on bottom right corner

Comment by Artefact

Then turn it off.

Comment by Chen
    07:31 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is just epic wrin.

Comment by Garven
    07:36 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is pretty cool that you got permission for such a thing. I suppose that is why (beyond the need for logging in to see the videos anyway) I never saw embeds for niconico stuff, hehe. Keep up the good times!

07:50 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wierd videos, is the scrolling text similar to annotations in youtube or something like that?

Also congratz now everyone can enjoy animated dance routines!

Comment by Balto
    07:56 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well the scrolling text is live comments from nico users. To illustrate this i have put the comment "Sankakucomplex!" at 0.00. you need an account at NicoNico Douga to be able to post comments as Artefact said

Comment by dingo
    07:56 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The scrolling text are actual comments to the video, and superior to Youtube's annotations.

Comment by Artefact
    08:16 20/01/2009 # ! Astronomical

Also, the comments have an entire scripting language built in (needs a premium account), which is how all the extreme ASCII art is created.

Comment by Balto
    07:57 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As I forgot to put in my last reply I have put it on the "Lets go Omyouji" video, thats the dancing priests.

Comment by iragedsohard
    07:49 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well that's just fantastic guys. Really.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    07:42 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Very awesome!
    NicoNico seems to be reaching out lately... with the recent Microsoft Messenger shenanigans...

Which is awesome! I'd like to be able to embed NicoNico videos on my blog too, but first I need to get out of WordPress.com...

Comment by Artefact

They don't deal with individuals at all; I think this is what keeps most of the sites out. I doubt they accept "overseas" concerns, but I don't know about this. Some of the big Japanese blog hosts offer it though, so those are an option.

Comment by iapfah
    Comment by reggie
    07:06 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

okay, now i like sankacom even more. thanks to artefact. hopefully someday you can make nico2 english version (since they already have taiwan, spain, and german)

Comment by Zwars
    07:05 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's one small step for NicoNico, one giant leap for Sankaku Complex

Comment by Artefact

Surely you mean the converse.