Norn Saber Online: Legendary Taiwanese Plagiarism

norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-1

Taiwanese anime fans have uncovered plagiarism of truly staggering proportions in the Chinese language MMORPG “女神ONLINE ~NORN SABER ONLINE~”, by “developer” Chinese Gamer International. It looks as though just about every single element of the game, from CG to sprites, and even TV commercials, is tainted with plagiarism.

Sadly, it seems the uniquely Chinese approach to copyright we have come to be familiar with is not restricted to the mainland…

In terms of the breadth and brazenness of its plagiarism, Norn Saber Online is undoubtedly in a class of its own:

(Originals are on the right)

norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-2
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-12
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-13
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-14
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-15
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-16
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-17

Even Minamike is not sacred…

The actual game:

norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes-18
norn-saber-online-taiwanese-plagiarism-extremes

Even their opening comes from another title:

Original:

Norn edition:

Is there anything they won’t copy? No, because even their advertising is copied:

From a deodourant ad:

The Norn effect:

Will anything be done about this most egregious abuse of the original works, or is Taiwan merely on a similar footing to China after all? Though at least Taiwanese anime fans have exposed this debacle

10:45 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Being chinese myself, I feel shameful. The biggest problem with Chinese is that they are greedy and only think of themselves, thus they only see the money in front of them, and easiest way is to copy. That's why when I am grown up, I will try my best to make China's own first brand name (of anything). Even among my friends (all Chinese of course), I am pretty much the only few creative thinker. The others might be smart, but they can't think innovatively nor enjoy innovative things. They copy what others enjoy. Hope this would change (hopefully I would be the one >: D)

Comment by Artefact
    19:09 18/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Changed: The biggest problem with _people_ is that they are greedy and only think of themselves, thus they only see the money in front of them, and easiest way is to copy.

Comment by BuggyBY
    23:27 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of these images I'm sort of OK with, when not much beyond the pose is copied. A number of them are even cliché poses you'll find in dozens of eroge - I doubt they're all ripping off each other's works. For example, there's only so many camera angles to show the framed photograph someone is looking at while holding it.

Also, is dat sum May-Be SOFT in the top right of image #1?

23:25 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This just turned bland game into horribly hilarious remarkable game.
    If they get away with this, the reputation and word of mouth they'll get will be incredible. Sales will soar.

Comment by metatron
    01:54 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was expecting that this kind of plagiarism would come from China but I'm surprised that it came from Taiwan

Comment by Chrouya
    22:46 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, 100% plagiarism is the way to go. Epic fail, but epic lulz.

Comment by LB
    03:06 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, they didn't even TRY to hide it did they??

Comment by Mr. X
    19:59 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

who cares?
    let the anime fan be an anime fan

Comment by A.non.
    19:06 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To think China was once a great nation, pioneer in everything.

Now just ... this.

Stop buying shit from them already, people!

Comment by Artefact
    19:19 16/01/2009 # ! Incalculable

To be fair, Japan did the same sort of thing for a while...

Comment by Svinto
    09:08 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I remember correctly, Japan had spies in some industries (automobile industry etc) in the US to copy their work methods to speed up their industrial revolution.

But they still made their own cars, right? They didn't just copy the designs and put their logo on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Or did you refer to something else, maybe?

14:08 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah heard that from a Japanese buddy too. Well Japan had it's fair share on copying and plagerising in it's past. Especially copying quite a bit from China and then making it their own, don't know how much Korea had an involvement. But I read that the Shinto Shrines designs were taken from Korea, or I think part of it's religious belief. Can't quite remember on that part.

Hard to say what isn't copied/imitated or plagerised nowadays, heck even music. Not that I can have a say in legalities with MP3's and the like. Since half the blooming world has copied Chinese, Egyptions, Greeks or even Babylonians inventions. Hell look at the so called English, it's pretty much a 'Mongrel Race' almost eveything is copied or made their own from all over Europe. Then again we all apparently originated from Africa(?).

Comment by Artefact

Before it caught up to the west, Japan played plenty of dirty tricks to ensure it could catch up quickly, as China does now - for example, not so long ago it was impossible for non-Japanese companies to set up shop in Japan without a "partnership" with a local company, and there were laws which essentially made non-Japanese patents fair game to Japanese companies.

Naturally, as they got richer they had to stop this sort of thing. Probably China will follow suit, eventually.

Comment by JayAyess
    18:29 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe they thought, that if they make it so obviously, everyone will think, that it can't be plagiarism because it's just TOO obviously.

Comment by Tommy
    18:11 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This would be a big rip off to the original artist who created it. They may face some copyrighted issue here with Japan.

01:14 23/07/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think the japan can touch them unless there's a pact between taiwan and japan...

Comment by anonym0
    01:42 09/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

giving what I am seeing that they produce in their educational institutions, I really wouldnt be surprised about the amount of plagiarism flying around...most students (and some faculty in fact) are without the knowledge of what defines lawful use of materials.
    Hate to admit the fact that I am from that island

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    18:21 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...

...

...

Damn, someone must really suck at imagining different ways to draw angles and perspectives...

Epic indeed...

00:20 29/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, Taiwan might consider having their own Anime Industry with that kind of art, not bad.

17:18 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

From what I've gathered, it's common for this kind of thing to occur; the plagiarism I mean. You see, so long as the "image" is different, you're somehow able to "bypass" copyright laws. Obviously as we see in these posted images, they ARE ripoffs. I don't appreciate this fact one little bit; but the games themselves at least are tolerable, (If you can get past the heavy misuse of the English language, God-awful customer support, their lust for US Dollars, (Or other currencies), AND the way they just plain run the games....) All in all, it's not so bad.

If anything, these MMOs do their job right: Making us laugh at all the "replicated" material. Oh, and leveling up. That's fun.

So, to the Anonymous of 2-20-2011, think a tad more carefully before you troll another user simply posting the facts.

Signed, Mr. Zard

08:52 20/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

so if they have the same pose its plagiarism? lol your stupid

07:08 06/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Those who can, create. Those who can't, make shoddy replicas.

12:06 15/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Console RPGs aren't spared either.
    Blurry, but that's what I get for screencapping youtube videos.

Comment by S. mcduck
    15:46 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Those are an awful lot of event CGs for an online game. Of radically different activities, even. How do you play this game, anyway?

02:13 18/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Moi chinese, moi hate chinese.

When I saw Gunslinger Girls got harrassed there, a vein popped.

Moi sad at myself being chinese...

Comment by ButtonCaptor_IXA
    01:59 15/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, whoever made that game should have ate a FALCON PUNCH, then Chuck Norris' and Kamen Rider Kabuto's Rider Kicks (the Dreaded Roundhouse)!

*facepalm*

That's just so "NetGame Crisis Saga" for them, in the name of cash, they'll pirate.

Comment by Katameido
    02:36 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, Wonderland Online.. There's no reason to wonder why the CGs look exactly like Japanese Dating sim..

Comment by cloner4000
    16:14 18/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha....its funny. Although its probably going to sound like a excuse. Its really not that bad. The company that make this aren't some big shot companies. Online game is a lot more popular in Taiwan and it cost like $3 around per month. With adjustment to US living standard that still around $6-7. So the company really don't have much resource available to them to produce original work.

Anyway for those with Strong hate for Taiwanese/Chinese. consider that your motherboard/RAM/Graphic Card/PS2 and PS3 parts and lots of semi-conductors are made there. Why don't you try buying US made?

Comment by anonym0
    01:48 09/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

because, they are failing to be innovative
    whenever a company starts a new project, it is usually when they see a theme sell successfully elsewhere. So by the time the products roll out, there is no more pie to go around. Endless cycle until the company decides to start doing MMOs that provide extra service for cash to keep themselves afloat

16:50 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There is no doubt that The Zwei Worter is copied. The rest I am not totally sure. At least the ones on the left seem more fappable.

The Advertisement is not copied though.

16:46 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Plagiarism.. Plagiarism.... A most disgraceful part in the world.

Comment by Tess
    11:22 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol. Wow. I'm just amazed. I saw the first comparison image earlier today, and that's still the most obvious + the opening. I know I myself am not particularly creative... but.. must you completely copy the work of others like that? D:

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    11:12 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is so kick ass lol

13:25 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No it isnt. Would like to hear u say that if you were the original artist...

Comment by Keigami
    11:31 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol busted XD

Comment by EroShin
    11:32 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I lol'd at how much they copy other's work :D
    Not creative is one thing cuz not everyone has creative minds, but copying almost all scenes from other sources? man, that's epic

Comment by Micchi
    11:40 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is just absolutely pathetic. Even worse than Aurora Blade. Well, maybe not... But either way, China just plagiarizes way too much. -_-;;

11:36 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's good that know that even I, someone who has no artistic talent, can create great pieces as long as I move to Taiwan and rip off people who actually have talent.

I for one welcome our plagiarizing overlords.

Comment by Fatty
    11:33 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was ok with it until I saw the minami-ke rip.

*RAGES*

Comment by trygle12
    10:56 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is just lazy....

I mean... straight out plagiarism!

10:55 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Play this game, get girlfriend. \o/

Comment by knowngni
    17:56 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Correction:
    Play this game, get a harem!

Comment by Kiuki
    10:34 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

... I am speechless. Copying from 10+ VN/anime titles. I'd like to see when the companies sue the, ahem, "game developers".
    The Gundam Seed copy was hilarious, though. Apparently, Abort = About?

07:39 26/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you copy from enough sources, would that make it research? :-) At least they're not as gruesomely bad at it as those Chinese who did that Shinkai knock-off.

Comment by Onsokumaru
    10:21 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is so sad that it's awesome.

Comment by Hangmen
    17:32 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Strangely awesome and strangely DO WANT to see the demo.

Comment by abbe
    10:31 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What I really wonder is that if this is an online game (MMO?), then why the hell do they have character introductions in the opening?

Comment by BuggyBY
    03:30 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree. Massively multiplayer online dating of the same seven characters is unlikely to sell well.

"I'm sorry, Takaya-kun. Mizuhara-kun has been online all week getting me presents and lavishing attention upon me without breaks for sleep or food, so I like him more than you."

Comment by abbe
    10:33 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And I don't know why it became a reply to you...

Comment by flip
    14:41 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i second you onso..so awesome