You are proceeding to a page containing mature content. Is this OK?

check Yes, show me everything
close No, hide anything sensitive

Koreans Force Cancellation of “Criminal” Hetalia

korean-national-assembly-condemns-criminal-hetalia-1

In an outrageous attack on freedom of speech, nationalistic Korean protests have forced the upcoming satirical WWII anime Hetalia Axis Powers off the air entirely; the issue was even taken up in the National Assembly, where the anime was denounced as being “equivalent to criminal conduct”, such was the hysteria against any possible affront to Korea’s dubious claims over Dokdo/Takeshima.

Craven broadcaster Kids Station apparently felt they had no option but to cave in to the Korean claims of “discrimination”, despite the anime apparently not even including the elements which upset the hypersensitive nationalists.

korean-national-assembly-condemns-criminal-hetalia

The official announcement of the broadcast’s cancellation is as follows:

Hetalia Axis Powers was scheduled to commence broadcasting on the 24th of January on Kids Station, but due to circumstances afflicting the broadcast station, the broadcast has been cancelled. To all those who have been looking forward to the broadcast as announced on the homepage and elsewhere, we apologise for this tremendous inconvenience.
We hope you will be understanding over this matter.

Of course, as with any such official announcement, no useful information as to why is included, but with it coming up in the Korean mass media the cause is clearly not in doubt; there are rumours of pressure being applied behind the scenes.

There is one glimmer of hope for fans wishing to avoid Korean censorship: inferior quality distribution by mobile and online streaming will go ahead as announced, likely because these are not handled by yellow broadcaster Kids Station.

The fact that online and mobile distribution has escaped Korea’s wrath will likely come as scant consolation to the makers, who were doubtless hoping for the web comic to finally enter the mainstream.

However, with the colossal negative publicity accruing to Korea over this debacle, we might well expect a very positive effect on sales of the DVD as people explore what all the fuss is about, or opt to support it against censorship. A publicity campaign money can’t buy, indeed.

As explained previously, it seems the locus of Korean outrage was the portrayal of Korea as a nation intent on claiming all and sundry as being either its invention or its territory; the breast grabbing scene where Korea seizes Japan’s chest (thought to represent Dokdo/Takeshima) is the main example of such. Of course, things could hardly be further from the truth?

Naturally, none of the other more reasonable nations lampooned in the series could care less about this wicked “discrimination”…

hetalia-country-comparison

1214600659872xv7

The reaction in Japan (excluding the typically supine mass media) is one of predictable consternation, though many are not entirely surprised, given the influence Korea exerts over Japan in many areas, and its constant state of nationalistic outrage.

bombing

There are many examples of Korean protests censoring Japanese domestic broadcasts (chiefly drama and the like which somehow manages to upset the influential hyper-nationalist lobby in Korea), though strangely no examples of the converse; in fact, outrageous anti-Japanese propaganda and protest seems to be the order of the day throughout Korea, reaching extremely disturbing levels, even in its schools.

Korean politicians seem ever eager to stoke the flames of hatred against Japan, and even China and America, though such reckless conduct seems unlikely to secure their long term good relations with the rest of the world.

• Anonymous says:

This is the right website for anybody who hopes to understand this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a subject that has been written about for a long time. Great stuff, just wonderful!

• Chagun! Chagun! says:

Read almost all the comments (except for those incredibely long walls of text), and I could just reiterate what others have said: It’s just a webcomic/manga/anime. No need to make a big fuss out of it.

(P.S. I am not a Korean, despite my “display name”. Just chose that because I was blank on ideas.)

• Nationalism is the source of many evils in the world.

Why don’t humans realize that? “Nations” and “Countries” are artificial borders set up by humans anyway. They’re necessary for organizational purposes, but they are nothing one should be “proud of”, and much less should be something to kill for or to discriminate for.

• Anonymous says:

Initial stumbling upon the anime:

haha, that’s cute, surely it’s so ridiculous nobody would take it seriously

Reading this article: AAAAhahahahahaha THEY DID TAKE IT SERIOUSLY *wipes tear*

Reading the comments: *rolling on the floor laughing at human stupidity*

Seriously, hats off to the creator, who would have thought to create a reaction from a COUNTRY like that, it’s HISTORICAL EPIC LULZ

P.S. My country – Romania, would have made a MUCH better country to pick on then Italy, we didn’t even have the whole culture thing, AND we were a little political whore during WWII switching sides and stuff. But nobody knows/cares about us, lol.

• Anonymous says:

Firstly you are a whore.Secondy,i hope Himaruya portrays Romania in the anime as a great nation that it is.Our culture is unique and diverse,in the WWII we were forced to join the Axis and then forced to switch sides.Lastly,please spare me of your “oh nobody cares about us”attitude ’cause it won’t lead you anywhere.

• Weaboos are some scary specimens as they would start loving Hitler if he made mangas or animes.
    I’ve watched the anime series and it was indeed quite funny but the fact that it was aired on kids station intended to educate the children was creepy. It really showed the nationalistic education that Japan’s children have been receiving. Just about everyone except Japan in the anime was weird.
    Japan – Intelligent, creative, and well mannered
    Italy – Plainly retarded
    America – Fatty who eats burgers all the time
    Autria – Stingy homo
    and so on…
    Usually, when a comedian makes a racist joke, he or she makes one about his or her own race. That’s why it’s a joke. In this case, purely indoctrination.

• hellifiknow says:

i cant believe that people cant get over something that happened decades ago
    my country suffered alot from japan invasion
    but hey i dont give a shit it’s in the past
    so get the fuck over it koreans
    this isnt rasicm this is just a joke
    just grow up already
    i didnt know or care about hetalia untill this uproar
    now im gonna support hetalia all the way
    just because u fucking retards cant get over it and still blaming japan and it’s fucking annoying
    we r the new generation if we cant forgive then who will
    learn to forgive and forget u fucking shitheads

• YOU don’t care. If something happened to where ever you’re from chances are in decades people would be mocking what you found as hardship as you have done just now. And that doesn’t sound like fun does it?

• I dont know why yall tripping – its like someone said above if that show was made by nazi – jews wouldnt have it – hell america would go all out on japan to get that show pulled for the jews …. either way this was bound too happen

• America wouldn’t dare risk it’s only chance to get a gaming platform better than something from Microsoft, though I like how you speak on behalf of America though. Does you real name start with..O?

Lemme go anal for a moment here

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nazi first definition shows how the real nazis no longer exist. Second denotes someone who has come upon the Nazi belief and somehow agrees with it making it their own (and even then people have changed what a nazi is just to define their own hatred to whoever they wish to hate.

In conclusion, nazis or followers of the nazi belief wouldn’t make an Anime. They most likely would hate anyone that watches it in the first damn place

• Really, it’s starting to be ridiculous… I’m half-Italian, half Philippino, I don’t mind that Hetalia made fun of Italy… seriously, this manga/anime make fun of every country, it’s supposed to be a SATIRE !!!

• TheAnonymous says:

In Response To:

Granted that the Korean dude acted like a complete ass, and this kind of stuff is making Koreans look bad, where we should just get over it. BUT, most of you people on this site JUST DON’T GET IT. I’m saying it for ALL parties of the matter. BOTH FOR AND AGAINST JAPANESE AND KOREANS. The way I see it is that a Japanese guy was acting racist and a Korean guy came and gone on his level. So with all due respect Mr. Artefact, BOTH the JAPANESE and KOREAN had been BOTH racist in this issue. What bothers me, is that even though this article is NOT racist AND/OR biased against Koreans, it is NOT being fair with Koreans either. This is practically the same with all the articles Artefact made concerning Koreans and Chinese. I won’t call this site nor the author racist, but to be honest you are NOT being, fair and well understanding either. This goes the same with any one for the Korean and post crap about Japanese people. To bluntly put it to you Artefact and anyone and EVERYone like him (again BOTH FOR AND AGAINST JAPANESE AND KOREANS), you’re showing favoritism. That’s with these kind of articles and responses on this damn site, you are ALL showing favoritism. You are giving needless and undeserved respect and praise to one country and completely shit on others without really understanding it and where it comes from but so quick to show shame and utter hate for it. Sort of like a international level of primogeniture on one side, and using great comfort to use of kind of infanticide to another, and almost every single one of you on this damn site is responsible for this kind of shit when it comes to these articles. Many of you are acting very uncivil and to many those who are civil, are expressing it in an uncivilized manner. If you think you are more civilized than the Koreans and Chinese you think are assholes and/or so love to hate and bash in these articles about them, then show some restraint and don’t bitch about it like they do. this goes the same with the Koreans and Chinese on the Japanese and and anyone else especially a westerner who should in my opinion technically not be add fuel to this mess either. so to show some contempt, here’s bit of an ultimatum for everyone. To the Japanese and those supporting on this, I’m Korean. I can’t speak for ALL Koreans but, I am a law binding citizen and have been all my life. I respect others as I do respect myself. I greatly respect Japan, it’s people and it’s culture and do not generalize an ENTIRE group when I observe an isolated incident like the one here in this article. I have never been obnoxious or been a perfectionists. I DON’T distort history in fact I will admit to the mistakes we had in the past. I never ate dogs, cats or any other domestic animals or any animal most people won’t consider eating for that matter. I DON’T have a box shaped head and slits for eyes or NOTHING plastic. I never had a plastic surgery in my life (and just so you know, a plastic surgery doesn’t use “plastic”). I do NOT represent barely ANY of the characteristics of a stereotypical Korean you people project. And I am deeply ashamed and sadden by the trend many Koreans have product themselves against others, and wish we world show the world better in a better light and forgive Japan for what they did. But you know what? That still doesn’t stop me from being Korean and being proud of it too. You jerks wouldn’t know one thing about us if you didn’t stop the bull and actually took the time and LEARN without any prejudice, doubt, BAD expectations, nor even concern. But I can’t expect much from you assholes can I. For the Koreans and Chinese and those who supporting on this, I know you are mad at Japan for what they did in the past I understand that, but it’s over now. I know it hasn’t been THAT long but Japan is a peaceful nation today. And it’s people and all other Japanese are overall good and nice people who sorry for what they done and show remorse for it too. And I know there are some who are stuck to the past but they don’t represent Japan and Japanese as a whole. I know and are friends with many and they don’t act like that. Us Chinese and Koreans will serve NO good if we continue this silly and idiotic grudge against the Japanese or any other nation for that matter. It prove people like Artefact and Firetrbe so right, it will be considered fact. And I know we can’t have that can we. Being pent up for what was bad in the past is never going to help us for what’s in store that’s good in the future. I know it’s a hard pill to swallow for you but we should give up this childish thuggish act. And be happy that what Japan did then , is not happening now. I will not come off like a jerk and say “get over it” but I’m asking you not as a fellow Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or even Asian, but a fellow human being, please PLEASE let it GO. And if someone talks crap about you and your people over something like this (speaking for the GOOD Chinese and Koreans on this), DON’T RESPOND. Never let these people get to you. You don’t have to prove NOTHING to them. You know what you did. You are aware of your country and the events in her life. The culture, history, the ACTUAL truth, etc. If you know what you did good in your life and what your country did good in her life and have NO regrets, don’t show no regrets. Sadly, they won’t know that, and they probably NEVER will. Getting in to people like Narcissist and their pitiful, pathetic preschool games will make you no better neither. And I know you aren’t preschoolers are you? Just be glad that they are ranting their wasteful lives about this under a computer and not taking it to the streets just like the “noisy” Koreans, Chinese, and Japaneses are in the minority, especially in the internet despite popular misconception. so don’t worry. In conclusion, we are playing one of the biggest troll games of them all, and It’s getting us NOWHERE to winning. It’s like the saying goes: Arguing over the internet is like running in the special Olympics … even IF YOU win, You are still RETARDED. This can apply to outside life in this kind of situation as well. And in outside life, getting into each others throats is making Asia the new Europe. This over-nationalism in ALL countries in the topic are ALL to blame. No more NO less. Aren’t we ALL human?

I know this comment-essay is hella long but it’s been bugging me for the longest and I can’t hold back on NOTHING. Also people must learn from this and the mistakes we made. I will expect criticism for this and I accept this. But I hope that everyone can agree with me on this notion. The further it is we concentrate on a dark past, the harder it is for us to make a bright future. So to anyone and everyone in sankakucomplex and the internet in general that is read my comment, I give you this cliche, yet misunderstood line:

“Cant we ALL just get along?”

Please, Please respond!!!

Sincerely,

TheAnonymous
    ~Have a nice FUCKING DAY~

• Frindge Logic says:

First off I have a question, if the definition of Racism is “the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races”, how is that Japanese dude being racist when he’s making fun of everyone, including his own country racist. Because for racism to work there has to be one county above all the rest, which in Hetalia their isn’t.

Other than that I do agree with you about people just making it worse by throwing insults at each other. It will not solve anything and will just bring more hatred.

• GUNSPECTRE says:

These types of posts are just for trolls and weeaboos. People who have no life and have no idea what type of crap comes spouting out of their mouths.

Apparently ALL Koreans deserve to die. Because they are all criminals, because they DON’T agree with what their older generations and government is saying. Because a Korean that loves anime and finds this news completely ridiculous does NOT exist.
    “I’m Korean, so I INSTANTLY have to hate the Japanese. I HAVE to follow those old Japan-haters to the end of the earth, because I’m Korean, and we’re all alike! Oh wait, maybe I’ll go later, I’ve gotta watch Zero no Tsukaima first…”

PS: that was sarcasm to the retard weeaboos.

• Everyone, calm down. It’s just a webcomie/anime. If you don’t like it no one is forcing you to watch it. Hetalia stereotypes countries and the people of those countries, that’s a given. It’s also undeniable that different countries tend to have different traditions and historically tend to behave differently on the international political stage influenced by their histories, cultures and traditions. The comic was made for the purpose of entertainment, if you find it offensive then simply ignore it, no need to put yourself under such stress. If you feel up to a serious political debate that is brought up in the comic there are many forums and discussion groups you can join for that.

I’m a Chinese-born Canadian. There are certain parts of Hetalia that I am uncomfortable with but that’s understandable since history and politics is subjective. It doesn’t take away from my opinion that Hetalia is a great way to laugh at international politics and the often-times frustration it causes. Everyone has their own views on historical incidents, neither side is right and neither side is wrong. No country is perfect, and none of us likes it when a country we love and care for is painted in a negative light, therefore there will be parts of Hetalia that will aggravate everyone, but the entire purpose of Hetalia is to laugh at international politics, not to take it seriously. Hetalia is not endorsed by the Japanese government, it was merely created by someone for the sake of entertainment and portrays that one person’s view on the world. You’re more than welcome to disagree, but that person has his/her right to express his/her views just as you have your’s to disagree.

I think this particular article is quite provocative in its tone and agressive as well, beginning with the sentence “In an outrageous attack on freedom of speech, nationalistic Korean protests have forced the upcoming satirical WWII anime Hetalia Axis Powers off the air entirely…”. Whether it is outrageous is subjective, whether it is merely nationalistic Koreans who are protesting is up for debate, but such a starting phrase will no doubt ruffle some feathers. I think the Korean government is taking Hetalia a bit too seriously, but from the comments on here the reaction to the Korean government’s retaliation isn’t going to do much to convince Korea to re-think their decision. Making racist and derogatory comments, cursing left and right and insulting people will only serve to fan the flames of negativity, not help to dispell them.

• OMFG…….is this shit for real….LMFAO koreans are complete retards….i really feel sorry for the retardness in there country…..they were the people that we being talked about when “slop head” was created

• wheresthelove? says:

I know it’s hard to not get angry here… but what the haters in this comments page are doing are practically doing what Korea is doing as well. It’s just an anime series. There’s going to be others. Besides, you’ll still be able to see it online (where probably most of you live anyways).

Don’t get too butthurt just because your favorite comic can’t turn into an anime.

Everyone… GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!

• Ok, I’m a Korean person, and when I read the comics with Korea in them, I actually laughed a lot and thought it was really funny. But at the same time I knew it was racist, but the entire comic is racist… Also… I haven’t read too many of the comics yet, but from what I can tell, Korea in the comic seemed like one of the gayest and stupidest characters in there (but I still found him rather lovable) so maybe that was another reason for the whole protest? I wouldn’t like it if someone made me act totally gay and stupid towards someone I haven’t really come to good terms with…
    Anyway I think that the Koreans simply overreacted and the Japanese just took it too far.

• 5_of_Spades says:

Imagine the wankery that will ensue if Germany ever produces a similar WWIIish show, with Jewish folks in it.

Or better, America making a similar show on slavery.

Or maybe Canada, on WWII when they pretty much concentration-camped the Japanese-Canadians.

• Hey, I mean, It’s not like Japan has ever done anything bad to Korea ever, right? I mean, come on! Imperialism is SOOOOO last century! Japan is now a happy utopia filled with love and candy and mutual respect for all foreign races and cultures!

• The ultranationalists get their rocks off by rubbing them in the face of the rest of the world.

“IN YOUR FACE, BUTTHURT!!” “KOREA FOREVAAAAAA!!!!!”

Flagrant and inflammatory nationalistic past and policies seem to be part and parcel of Japan and Korea in particular.

No doubt in Korea’s part, ushered in by the Japanese banning anything Korean when they became a dungeon bitch of Japan.

• Mechwarrior says:

This is a lot more complicated than some of you are making it seem. The entire east Asian region has had a history of ultra-nationalism. The Korea’s, China and Japan have had flagrant nationalistic policies. As far as I care, they can keep arguing who is superior. Id rather have them fighting amongst each other than against other countries.

• This is pretty ridiculous.

If these people had even bothered to look into the history of the Hetalia series, it’d be clear that Korea is not the only one teased. Far from it. If every government followed Korea’s example, it would end up a war, all over a comic series. I mean, seriously–Italy gets more crap than anyone else in that series, Germany too. All of the main cast–which, by the way, does NOT involve the character Korea, he’s rather minor–gets parodied and teased. In Hetalia, America is a power-crazed moron, Canada is an ignored weakling, Italy is torn and mostly stupid, Germany is a hard-ass, England is an emo asshole and France is a lecherous pervert. Does that mean that’s true of every one of their governments? Of course not. Now, are these personalities based on stereotypes and generalizations of the cultures? Yes–and that’s what makes it funny. Hetalia allows us to laugh at ourselves and others while also learning something. This action against the television station shows two things: that government is insecure if they can’t take a jive at their expense, and the station executives are a bunch of cowards.

With any luck, the publicity from this childish decision will draw the attention of a bigger producer that will take on Hetalia. And God knows, eventually it will probably end up dubbed in English, because as a not-so-proud American, I know for a fact my culture enjoys laughing at others. It’s all in good fun, people. Sit down, shut up and let us enjoy some comical history.

• okkayyy guys, backtrack here, if your gonna do hate rant, rant at the 10,000 and the gov who sent the complaint, not the whole freakin nation of korea. korea has a huge fangirl base, and i’m pretty sure they’re even more devastated at the news than we are.

even the picture with korea jumping japan isn’t showing the whole picture. the strip was making fun of some korean comedy that doesn’t make sense, not that korea is a perv(if i’m wrong, someone correct me plz ;; ) the character korea’s actually pretty awesome…it’s portrayed as a super artist etc. ppl might be offended on the whole profile of korea “enjoying studying abroad and online games” as a hobby, but it’s like saying america likes eating abnormal colored desserts…it’s just a play on stereotypes

• wow, since this is brought up theres been alot of hate going around. i for one think its pretty stupid by the korean gov- tho i understand that this issue is a sensitive subject to talk about, this is coming from a korean 🙂 born in Aus. i understand how ppl feel about thi, but for ppl speaking about korea as a whole really hurts. its like a comment thats been mentioned earlier,

it does feel like being face-palmed. hah thats my 2 cents.

• I have to agree lolol. I honestly think this was just totally blown out of proportion by the governments, but I can’t help when people speak for Korea as a whole like that since I’m Korean (born in US, but yeah.) lol. I can get why both sides are upset, so yeah lulz. I just can’t really appreciate dissing the people who aren’t even a part of it, lul.

• Spoony Bard says:

So let me get this straight, Korea got the show banned in Japan? How the hell did they do that?

And also, what the hell is Korea so upset about? It makes fun of almost every other major nation in the world, yet only they’re getting upset about it.

• It’s really just oversensitivity on the part of those people who got the show canceled on the peninsula.. As pure and as simple as that.

Doesn’t help that the Liancourt Rocks seem to be in the middle of every single conflict between Japan and Korea nowadays.

And, no it was only canceled in Korea, much to the disappointment of the series’ Korean fans. I’m sure there’s just about as much if not more people BAAAWWWING over the cancellation as much as the idiot protesters.

• Well not currently, but the point of this was the possible destruction of the freedom of speech, which plenty of people confuse with the freedom to whine, or the freedom to bitch…likes its a fucking fight move or something.

• Christ, can this thread get any more ignorantly racist with some comments? These are Far Right Nationalists…they’re as bad as the Far Right Japanese Uyoku who still to this day deny Rape of Nanking, Comfort Women and Unit 731. Aswell as deny Pearl Harbour was a Sneak Attack. Some of you are responding fairly Japanophilic and Weeabooish…which way worse than any Otaku.

At least direct your anger properly. I myself ain’t happy about it. But I ain’t going to blame a whole country/race.

• Meanwhile, from what I’ve seen, a good portion of the Hetalia fanbase itself has responded with “eh, it’s unfortunate, but I understand why they’re upset” or some variant thereof. There have been a few “oh, no!” type comments, but nothing overtly racist or nationalist, and most of them seem to have a healthy attitude about the whole thing. It’s amusing somehow that the fans of the “offensive” manga are so understanding, especially since fujoshi have such a bad reputation.

• Ye that’s why I was like, what is up with the hate over here? I’ve been on some Hetalia related websites(English) and the majority was ‘oh? Ah well’ I think most fans understand from what I’ve seen as they know their History of Asia, so I guess most of them have a better understanding of the situation or just more mature. I myself read APH. Most of it is pretty much satire, but nothing really offensive in my opinion. Even Japan itself hasn’t been portrayed as perfect, heck I still remember the stip where China takes care of Chibi Japan, then all of a sudden when Japan gets older betrays/attacks him lol which pretty much happened IRL.

• Artefact, would you please remove the fanart from the article? For better or worse, it’s not a good indicator of what the comic is like, and I’ve already met people who thought that it was the original comic.

Not to mention that for one I’d like to avoid mass site closings or foreign IP bannings if (when) the Japanese get a wind of the Korean media and subsequently various websites, using fanart for such purposes.

• That’s why I shouldn’t comment while trying to think in three languages at the same time. What I was trying to say is that no artist would like to see their artwork in connection with an affair like this, and it just wouldn’t be good if this particular site, or other sites taking the fanart from this site would make the artist decide to close his/her site/ban foreign IPs/etc, that I’m sure many fanart sites are going to do after learning that the Korean media also used fanart in their reports about the show.

In any case, though, if you won’t take down the art then you could at least make it more obvious that it’s fanart. As I said, I’ve already seen people who think that it’s official.

• I read Hetalia, did some research to understand the jokes, and became MORE sympathetic to Korea as a consequence of what I learned. (So if it’s pro-Japan propaganda, it’s, um, not very good pro-Japan propaganda.) Even then, however, I can’t help but feel like this was a bit much. It’s like banning regular chewing gum because it and cigarettes are both sold in smallish rectangular boxes- even if the latter is unhealthy for you and everyone around you, the former is a perfectly innocent treat that just happens to have similar packaging.

• You know, I’d have to wonder where nationalist Koreans get their rocks off bitching about a comic that slams its home country, America, and Italy about ten times more than Korea _each_.

If any of you have read the comic, it’s hardly neofascist nationalist Japanese propaganda and a mishmash of skewered stereotypes. Oversensitive nationalists are such worthless pieces of shit.

• Hell, Korea is a relatively minor character.

I think most people didn’t even bother to check the actual comic – it’s telling that the nationalist Korean websites used FANART (and a piece of the original comic taken entirely out of context) to illustrate how horrendously offensive and anti-Korea the series is.

Like all nationalists they’re just repeating the same, uninformed slogans. Sadly, their voice is stronger than sane people’s.

• Hello, I come from the country that is being kicked around here.

Frankly speaking, I believe that the Korean government has gone overboard. I am not trying to defy that Korea and Japan had a bad past before, and yes there were a lot of wrong done from Japan from Korea. However, this kind of behavior just makes everything look worse. Are we really that short-minded? Must Korea always bite back at everything Japan has to say?

After the inauguration of the current Republic of Korea’s President Myung Bak Lee and the victory of right-wing nationalists in Congress, the country’s motivation in its foreign affairs have become more and more awkward and incomprehensible. Dokdo-Takeshima conflict is one thing, but what is this? What a display of non-sensical and blind nationalism. Have we learned nothing from the cases of Imperial Japan what kind of ugly being nationalism becomes when it is exerted too far?

I call that the Government of Republic of Korea should back down on this case. This is not a defense of national dignity. This is not a rightful stance against wrong-doing. This is just a fit that makes the country look more unintelligent and intolerable. Stop the madness, Korea. If we do not learn from the past, we will never grow out of it.

• I’m surprised… and happy…. to hear some common sense for a change. ^^

I’ll admit, I probably helped (in a small way) to add to the cacophony here, but not to flame but pour scorn on the oil and vitriol being flung about.

Why more Koreans didn’t laugh at the turnabout of having JAPAN on the receiving end of that kind of aggression instead of Korea…. as happened in WW2…. puzzles me. Didn’t anyone see the irony in it?

Life’s too short to take it too seriously. Really :).

• I know for sure that I’m not the only one enjoying offensive humor, whether it’s sex, play on prejudice or whatever. This is just a piss on freedom of speech, I cant believe it.
    Just look at some Dave Chappelle Show episodes or certain South Park episodes, I don’t see the Koreans crying when there’s blacks, jews etc involved? Talk about having a complex over their small penises if they can’t handle it when there’s a risk of themselves being involved.

First it was Islam owning freedom of speech (the Danish newspaper who had to apologise, after getting their flags and embassies burned) and now it’s minor piss countries like Korea? Am I the only one seeing this escalating in a couple of years? Not that this incident will have anything to do with it, but that the world don’t give a shit when freedom of speech is no longer a right.

And you can’t go with the “but people are stupid” attitude, then you might as well move to north korea or iran or something where you don’t have to decide for yourself at all.

Random bashing and flaming makes you feel so good.

• U better watch wut u r saying u talk about “Freedom of Speech” here? What about ur mama being a whore? Now I’m saying “Freedom of Speech” I’m sorry but ur mama is a whore. Which is not true. Piss country? What about ur shitty mouth idiot?

• 1785 Map of Three Adjoining Countries

A Japanese scholar of practical science Hayashi Shihei published 『Map of Three Adjoining Countries』(三國接壤地圖)in 1785, which showed each country in distinct colors; Joseon (old name of Korea) in yellow, Japan in green. In it, Uleungdo and a small islet in the middle of the East Sea were not only colored in yellow but marked, “As Korean territories (朝鮮ノ持ニ)”.

Naito Seitsu: “Even within Japan, there are many materials printed prior to WWII supporting the claim that Dokdo Islets are Korean territory. The Japanese Foreign Ministry just doesn’t put those materials on its homepage…”

• As poster abobve has mentioned, VANK is desperate to edit the article of wikipedia. Take a look at “edid pages”. I always check how the pages were edited. Korean IP Editors and KOrean wikipdians are always trying to hide the truth and distort the history. Korean gov’s brainwashing their people (also they’re soporting VANK) and wish the articles about Korea in wikipedia to be suitable for their delusion/fabrication. They even make up fake evidences just like Chinese Communist Party.
      Do you know OINK? Only IN Korea.
      And what’s this? You’re kidding, right?

All their editing wikipedia thing is like Chinese Communist Party’s propaganda.
      Prety much the same as Fake of Nanking.

• Fake of Nanking? It’s widely known it happened. There were even Japanese soldiers who admitted it happened and visited Nanking to pay their respects. How many victims there were are the main problem. At lest choose a better e.g. like Tianneman Square where the CCP pretty much tried to wipe the existence of it ever happening.

Oh wait didn’t the Japanese Government accept a ‘New History Textbook’ authored by a Right Wing supporter that even other nations frowned upon because how it distorts it’s War Crimes to never happen? I have some Japanese friends, even they know Rape of Nanking happened and do feel ashamed that it even took place. And is appalled that Hirohito is at Yakusuni Shrine with other War Criminals.

Well, least Germany got over what it has done, admitted it and apologized sincerely about it’s atrocities (though Neo-Nazi’s/Right Wing supporters are proud that the events took place). But this doesn’t surprise me, Asia overall sees Image is very important. China’s CCP, Japan and Korea Right Wing supporters will do anything to make their country image seem better even through lies…not that America’s Government hasn’t done so itself. There are people like this in every country unfortunately.

• Well, someone needs to learn history better, not just through one country’s prespective but all.

“nanking was faked Japan is the GREATEST nation in the earth no, the universe. In fact, putting it into words does not do its greatness any justice at all. Just submit to their greatness. The chinese (CHINKS)AND Koreans (GOOKS) ARE LIARS and less then human beneath pigs no ants. Anyone who disagrees should DIE a horrible death.”

you have problems, it seems that you are unwilling to accept anything that differs from your opinion and only choose to believe what you want to believe.

Please, learn to differentiate between facts and opinions.

• Anonymous says:

• As for the Nanking, I’m just curious about why the number of death toll is increasing. And when did Nanking story begin? Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal? No. 50s? No. 60s? No. Of course, the army of the empire of japan killed chinese it was war. And as far as I know japanese people know it. i belive all japanese know that. just when it conmes the number, i have this feeling well something doesn’t add up.

• There are equally credible maps for the other side of things. Really, it comes down to who you favour, and quoting a highly biased Korean source suggests your mind is already made up.

Enough of this, nobody cares about the rock, we are concerned about Korean attacks on freedom of speech.

• Anonymous says:

yup Japan is the GREATEST nation in the earth no, the universe. In fact, putting it into words does not do its greatness any justice at all. Just submit to their greatness. The Koreans (GOOKS) ARE LIARS and less then human beneath pigs no ants. Anyone who disagrees should DIE a horrible death.

• Have you even been to Japan? There aren’t mechs flying around and a pair of tits on every corner. Even with all their advancements in technology and public exhibition issues, it’s a country filled with human people which means it’s a country with flaws just like ever other.

• “There are equally credible maps for the other side of things. ”

Please enlighten me.

“quoting a highly biased Korean source ”

Didn’t you also linked to Wikipedia in your previous article about this?

“nobody cares about the rock,”

Japan cares greatly about “the rock”

“Korean attacks on freedom of speech.”

Can you defend ridiculing of moment of history that includes the following?

Finally why is it that you get prosecuted by German government if you deny the Holocaust, but you get treated as a hero if you deny the following?

• I like how Artefact was cussed out while others are attempting to explain Korea’s views on this and yet 1 and highly likely not to be korean 2 even more likely to not have been one of the people that decided on banning Hetalia

• Frindge Logic says:

well like I said before Hetalia makes fun of every country equaly(even japan), so those who try to make it out like Hetalia is trying to single out Korea have not really read Hetalia.

Now I know a lot of topics in history are controversial, which is why Hetalia doesn’t talk about it. Instead it resolves around funny stories and rumors during that time(Like when France found a German spy because of the way he cut his meat).

• “but frankly, the GOVERNMENT getting involved over something like this? ”

Sadly, expect more of these stupid reaction from the current ruling party of Korea in the near future. In fact, I expect them to do something even worse while they force other Koreans to flatter them.

• You’re either ignoring or oblivious of the fact that the series we’re talking about doesn’t do anything like the things you mention. It doesn’t glorify anything, doesn’t offer wrong information, and in fact it doesn’t even touch Korea’s recent history with Japan. And if Korea is presented in a less than serious light, it’s not meant to be “ridiculing.” (Japan is not treated much better either, for that matter.)

I understand that Korea’s history with Japan is a sensitive subject, and I understand that some Koreans might find such a portrayal of their country offensive, but frankly, the GOVERNMENT getting involved over something like this? It’s one of the biggest overreactions I’ve seen in a long time.

• “Korea’s dubious claims over Dokdo/Takeshima.”

I was trying to point out that the claim in not dubious.

Let me give you another example of why there is such a predictable and stupid( yes, I do admit the whole reaction was stupid. Koreans should keep quite in order to not give this any publicity and record the evidence once it airs in order to make the case of slandering to the world media ) outlash from Korea. How would Palestinians feel if they saw a Jewish cartoon that contains wrong facts and seems to ridicule them? How would Jews feel if they saw something from Arab media that portrays offensive image of themselves? How would African-Americans feel if they saw something glorifying the Slave trade and slave plantations made by Whites? Japan enslaved Korea for 35 years. Least Japan could do is not reminding Koreans about it. Still, leave it to stupid Korean ruling party to seize this opportunity to make it look nationalistic when it is likely to be secretly negotiating re-accepting the 1905 treaty that gave Japan ownership of not just Dokdo, but the entire Korean Peninsula. There is much more to this incidence then it meets the eye, as there are so many things ultimately connected to this fiasco in Japan, Korea, and even China.

• I wish the reports would stop using freaking fanart to illustrate their point, there is not one original picture in this report, it’s all fanart! Way to distort the image of Hetalia.

• Anonymous says:

Yeah, but in one comic all of them are arguing over which one is the most perverted and trying to get Hungary to join with them, in which she hastily replies that it’s platonic love.

• “Man, the Koreans are so upset about their character being a pervert, I think if the French government got wind of Hetalia they might declare war on Japan.”

The French…. declare war on Japan??

lol You *almost* had me going there.

• Some official images, maybe? Fanart doesn’t prove anything, and fandom shouldn’t be dragged into in this. (Especially seeing how sensitive Japanese fanartists are about such things.)

It’s bad enough that the first Korean website that started wanking about this also used fanart to “illustrate” their point, I thought this site was above that.

• So much rage-fueled hot coals here… I may as well roast a bag of marshmallows while they’re a-burning. ^_-

…………Just as much contempt I have for all races and nationalities, I have a special spot in the blackest corner of my heart for bullies and idiots. And guess what? Government qualifies as having both qualities! ><

The lampoon of America made me lol… *hard*. XD

I wonder if this will get up into a duke-out between both Governments (Japan AND S. Korea), diplomatically or in stronger terms? I’m only posting possibilities…. nothing’s set in stone. And precedent can always be set upon it’s ear.

• smelly meat says:

why not. wars have started because someone lost at a card game, got married to someone they shouldn’t have or someone decided to keep their land and not sell it, it only stands to reason that ww3 will start over a tv show. ah history, what a pretty, intoxicating and vicious circle it is.

• Once again, I’m skeptical of the involvement of the Voluntary Agency Network of Korea (VANK).
    Fax attack, e-mail bombing.
    They attacked ARTE-TV. They attacked Google, Maps of world, World Atlas, Encyclopædia Britannica, Lycos, National Geographic. They attacked World Baseball Classic official site, International Hydrographic Organization (IHO)… This one won’t be any different. And the worst part is VANK is supported by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology of South Korea.

I got hand it to AnimateTV!
    (http://www.animate.tv/ and http://www.animatemobile.net/)
    Don’t yield to cyberterrorism!

• Sigh… how sad. At least it’s still getting distributed on mobiles and on the net. Despite all I hear about the Japan hate in Korea, all the Koreans I’ve met or dealt with have been nothing but kind. Guess I’ll just be thankful I haven’t had a run in with the crazy ones who blow stuff like this out of proportion…

• Korean politics are soon to discover what “streisand effect” is. If prior to protests this anime would be watched only by fans and most of people couldn’t care less about whole history with korean character, now thanks to huge free publicity, this will spread to entire internet. Idiots.

• Those Fucking korea are really a bunch of retards huh??? Why they keep sticking their ass into japan thing??? are they crazy or what??? even when their country is absolutely kicked out from the anime, they keep bugging about the anime. They surely are retard huh?

• Wow…my view on Koreans in general just plummeted…big time…
    Although maybe all this mess wouldn’t have happened if Japan was a bit more sympathetic to it’s Asian neighbors…then the Kors wouldn’t be so easily outrage…but still…this is ****ing ridiculous….DAMN YOU KOREANS!! Look what you did now!!

• Only people who are well informed of the wars between these countries will understand why a (most probably old) bunch of the korean population is butthurt; everyone else thinking “bawwww Korea is evil they took my animeeee~” should be wise enough to keep their comments to themselves.

Then again I think this is utterly stupid. It’s a damn comic that makes fun of wars and is racist; we’ll always have those.

• It’s all about propaganda. When a whole country decides to go against another country, truth is meaningless. Just sheer hatred over everything. Imagine little kids being taught hating someone. Just so very sad.

• Frindge Logic says:

So, by making fun of every countries stereo-types(including Japans) Japan is being racist specifically to Korea. But wait, if that means they are racist to everyone including themselves.

In the end the argument that Hetalia is being specifically racist to Korea. It’s like if I said all humans are idiots and someone claimed I was racist against the French because by including everyone I also included everyone in France.

As for them deciding to skip all the atrocities of war, it’s a comedy for goodness sake. Of course they are going to skip over the gory parts than no one likes.

• Hetalia doesn’t make fun of WW2 nor its tragedies. Wacky war trivia that happened between the downtime between battles (because it does happen)? Yes, making fun of the Holocaust? No. And it’s not racist either.

• My grandfather died in a Russian gulag and I think my dad would know better than to rage against cute Russian comic books THAT AREN’T EVEN MEAN-SPIRITED SERIOUSLY THE KOREAN CHARACTER WAS CUTE and demand the issue be taken to congress. But then, my dad also has better things to do than get outraged on the internet!

• Racism is fine in an anime or anything as long as you admit that you are being racist and give people the chance to dissuade you of your views.’

Unfortunately, when it comes to racism, a LOT of people around the world have the ‘shoot first, ask questions later’ mindset.

• Honestly I’m surprised they pulled it off. I just figured they’d ignore the problem and air the anime anyway given the sentiment shared between these two countries. But then again the largest minority group in Japan are Koreans…

• I had thought the Koreans were trying to stop it’s broadcast IN KOREA, but it’s actually a Japanese station? Double pathetic.

The narrow minded people who can’t just decide NOT TO WATCH something that THEY don’t like and instead decide if THEY don’t like it NO ONE should get to watch it are beyond pathetic. They’re evil. Left unchecked, they will lead to totalitarian police states where freedom is a lie people try to pretend they have.

I hope the creators of the anime now ADD BACK the Korean character and totally slam the character as being bigoted, narrow minded, and the new Hitlers of the 21st century (Hitler was big on censoring what his people read and watched to build his axis of evil, too).

And add in the evil UNICEF character while they’re at it.

• It’s not narrow minded. It shows lies to everyone. And people do believes those lies. we can’t just stand there and watch! Think! that anime will shown to those little kid. and they’ll believe what it shown. u can enjoy much as Japanese manga, but we can not allow them to spread lies to the world. If u really love to watch it u can buy DVDs right? so quite ur crap~

• …Do you know you do not make sense, do you ? It was originally a webcomic, then it was not directed to the whole world… and it is more particularly the Yaoist and history fan who are targetted…

• Are you serious? I would blame it more on bad parenting than on the anime. It’s a /cartoon/, for heaven’s sake. If you can’t teach your kids what to take seriously in life (aka being a good parent and not letting your child become completely ignorant), then how about instead of protesting an anime, do your job, by: A) Not letting them watch it if its going to kill them B) Maybe, I don’t know, telling them that these are stereotypes and not to be taken seriously?

• “Aw jeez, I feel sorry for normal Koreans who aren’t part of this nonsense, especially Korean anime fans. They’re probably facepalming so hard their palms are going through their faces.”

yeah no kidding, if anything they are the ones who will suffer the most………their government goes f’ing crazy over an anime and blame gets put on their people for something their government did that they don’t even endorse

• doublebubbletrouble says:

What I’d like to know is how the original petition was worded. I mean, at least here in the States, you can get people to sign for all sorts of things. The “Ending Women’s Suffrage” petition comes to mind.

BTW Artefact, you got any ideas yet on what actions the United States should have taken back in the 40s/50s? In all seriousness I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

• This is actually normal and not limited to anime.

In other words, I just committed an offense punishable by law.

Stupidity is universal I think.

Personally, banning a show for being offensive to the country is smarter than banning a show because it might induce people to fly off buildings. (RTM banned the movie Superman II on the grounds that people might believe they can fly and then hurt themselves. True story!)

• ‘Malaysia for example is openly anti-semitic and have laws in place to arrest without trial those who say so.’

Malaysia is openly anti-Israel, and vice versa.

Israel does not represent all Jews.

• relentlessflame says:

“Anything to distract from the plight of their 20 million starving and enslaved countrymen to the north?”
    — Artefact

You didn’t… Oh wait, you just did. Opinion of the author, or a 2ch-inspired low blow? You sure do like to stir up controversy…

(Hint: Considering history, why would Korea be offended by an image of a character representing their country being “molested” by a character representing Japan?)

• relentlessflame says:

Ah — I stand corrected about that image. Quite correct. My eyes doth deceive me.

Still though, the sensitivity here isn’t exactly unexpected. It’s like picking a sore spot. Eventually you’re going to get a reaction. Certainly, though, I grant that the whole thing is being blown out of proportion, especially given that the character in question wasn’t even going to be in the anime. *shrug*

• This qualifies as censorship by any reasonable definition. A company being blackmailed or intimidated into dropping a show is censorship, just not by the direct hand of the government.

What do you think would happen if the Japanese just ignored this and other similar claims?

Have you seen the latest news? Many Koreans are now claiming Tsushima is Korean territory, it even reached the national political level:

Oppose, do not appease.

• relentlessflame says:

I’m downplaying it because the real story here isn’t “Foreign Nation takes Japanese TV show off the air”, it’s more like “TV network execs decide ‘on second thought, no'”. It’s only “off the air entirely” because it just so happened to only be scheduled to air on one channel, unlike many other shows of its kind. It was going to air at the all-important hour of… 1:52am. And how much “persuasion” was actually required for these TV execs? Think of all the other times when shows have been pulled off the air for petty reasons. The mere fact that this whole drama happened may have been enough to cause some exec to actually research the show they’re going to air and say “geez, maybe we shouldn’t be associating ourselves with this”. It’s not as if this would be the first time. You *could* believe that it was all this vicious coercion and political pressure that caused the executives to be forced to make this terrible decision! *Or*… maybe they had they willpower of a leaf blowing in the wind and just said “meh – not worth it for a 5-minute show”. It’s not as if we know *their* thought process.

The show itself didn’t get canceled. There’s no suggestion that anyone’s going to modify the show as a result. The freedom of speech is still being preserved. The show isn’t getting censored. And it’s not as if there’s any evidence to suggest that the TV network was somehow forced or coerced into this decision. Really, this is just a TV network pulling out of broadcasting an anime after presumably realizing that it might cause a controversy and make them look bad. And as you pointed out, this whole thing is actually a bit of a good publicity stunt for them.

And really, regarding the whole nationalism/Dokdo issue, it’s a big issue that has some deep-seated roots that won’t be quickly wiped away. But I sort of feel that your reaction is sort of giving yourself to the same degree of excess that the government obviously displayed in wasting their time on this issue. If their government is really as obsessively nationalistic as you imply, and they’re just using any opportunity to beat their proverbial chests at Japan’s expense, the issue is *still* that the TV network execs didn’t have any reason to cave to that. If they’re really that “boorish”, why pay them any heed? I think this reeks more of a publicity stunt by a few members of government to gain some easy support among the more hardcore voters, and a TV station that didn’t really have any reason not to drop the show when they saw a storm a-brewin’. Even if some Koreans are nationalistic or anti-Japanese, last thing we need to do is stoke the fire. *shrug*

• I think you drastically underestimate the extent to which nationalism permeates the mainstream in Korea. Take a look at the links in the post if you didn’t – extreme nationalism in Korea isn’t the work of tiny minorities as it is in many less boorish nations, it’s more of a national pastime.

I’m not sure why you’re so keen to downplay this, but having a TV anime canned by a foreign country most definitely is news to many. What sort of response would there be if another nation got the Simpsons taken off air over a similar thing?

Hetalia may not be mainstream, but it is still a big issue, and there are clearly concerns over freedom of speech in a case like this.

• relentlessflame says:

What blame is there to be issued? Some people complained. A government took notice. A controversy arose. A TV Network blinked. I mean, whose fault is it, really? The overly-sensitive people, the overly-sensitive government, or the overly-sensitive TV network execs? And how much do *any* of those involved actually know or care about the show? I’m guessing virtually none and nothing.

In the right circumstances, it’s easy to create a controversy. Especially given the historic bad blood, it wouldn’t have been hard for a few people to cause enough noise to stir things up. But really, this isn’t any different from when any other small group makes enough noise to cause governments to take notice. “Korea” isn’t at fault, the people involved are. Why would most of the country care about some anime?

And it’s not really about fault anyway. It’s just a TV broadcast. That TV network won’t air it, so either some other satellite network will, or it’ll just end up being mobile/streaming and onto DVD. Net impact on fans of the show? Pretty minimal. In objective terms, this is more “news that wants to be news” than actual earth-moving stuff.

The real news here is that “concerned (outraged?) citizens” actually got part of the Korean government to seriously discuss a Japanese manga/anime property. I mean, really? Must have been a slow news day.

• You make it sound like Korea is blameless in all of this. Legitimate satire is “picking a sore spot”? Does it seem to you that there is a legion of Japanese mangaka constantly making subtle territorial demands?

Dokdo is a Korean concoction to allow politicians to harness the forces of nationalism, not some kind of latter day Japanese revanchism…

• While I’m not a fan of the Korean anti-Hetalia protests, it’s retarded to take it out on them like this. Many of the Japanese certainly aren’t guiltless of anti-Korean racism either. Korea’s call for the ban of Hetalia isn’t that far removed from Japan’s call for the ban of the Kuni ga Moeru manga (for being politically sympathetic to the Chinese during WW2) a couple years ago– and that was a JAPANESE work. And the series was COMPLETELY stopped.

• You don’t see Russians starting international shitstorms over their stereotypical and often outright insulting portrayal in foreign media and that is far more widespread. Siding with Korea in this is just hypocritical.

• Vallen Chaos Valiant says:

Japanese stopping Japanese? I can dig it.

It’s when someone from another country trying to exert power, when in fact Korea isn’t even IN the anime, that made me sick. There isn’t even a REASON to do that.

In retrospect, the Korean War should never have been fought. They should have surrounded to the DPRK and be done with it.

• So censorship, racism, and revisionist history are OK as long as they’re contained within the state? Regardless of the actual historical circumstances, that’s kind of the equivalent of saying that it’d be A-OK if Americans wanted to claim that abuse and the denial of human rights in Japanese internment camps never occurred during WW2, but if a Japanese complained about this denial, that’d be wrong.

My point is that they’re both retarded and it’s stupid to single Korea out as ebil just because we all happen to be a bunch of Nipponophile weeaboos. We can say “Man, those Koreans who protest about Hetalia are stupid and ebil!” We cannot say “This is further proof that Koreans are Japanophobic and stupid and ebil,” particularly with the implications here that the Japanese are guiltless.

• “horrible British food” or “Americans wanting to be on top of everything,”

Hahaha. I agree. In fact some British and Americans hate those jokes because they want their countries “nothing-wrong” while most of take it as a joke.

I guess Italy, Germany other countries dont care about this is because they can take it as a joke; they themselves know they arent that “bad”

In my opinion it is better showing you are not that bad in real life instead of crying “we are not supposed to be like this”….uhm

• minaki, you are stretching way too far with “racism and revisionism” approach. Obviously you didn’t even care to read the manga.
          The jokes made in the manga is nothing more than “horrible British food” or “Americans wanting to be on top of everything,” and, no, the manga never really has revisionistic views. In fact, Japan is clearly portrayed as guilty of invasion. Jokes on korea is also never more than their overly patriotic behavior, and it doesn’t make light of occupation by japan. You can kind of tell the author was quite careful with his jokes on china and korea.

• Me&my friend got one conclusion about this incident.

if you want Koreans in anime you must make sure exhibit them as hero/perfect/clever/smart/polite/sensitive etc….(positive only;no joke) becuase they think they are so even if people from other countries do not think so.

Lost of freedom to speak..

• Vallen Chaos Valiant says:

How many times do I need to say this?
          Korea is NOT in the anime!

There is no revisionist history about Korea in Hetalia anime, because Korea was entirely removed from the Anime all together.

This is NOT about offensive material, but about protesting against offensive material that ISN’T THERE.

Yes, Japan IS guiltless in this case. They did everything they can to make it unoffensive, but it appears that wasn’t GOOD enough for the Koreans.

• Disgusting yellow skins. It is back to the railroad building for them.

Seriously pathetic of Japan too. What are they afraid of? Japan is an economical super power and a member of G8. South Korea is a country looked down on by most and associated with its even more pathethic north part.
        Not to mention all the U.S. bases in Japan ready to charge at any yellow skins thinking of anything that has to do with military.

• for your information fellow anon, the people killed by the Japanese army in WW2 is far more superior than everything else you’ve named here, including the bombs. Btw, even the Japanese themselves said that there’ll be even more casulties for both sides if the US invaded Japan mainland. These are just real facts so don’t get mad and do your homework before spreading bull.

• Frank Bastard says:

actually the bombs were dropped a few days after the war was ended, signed off by the emperor. the second bomb that fell on nagasaki only fell there due to the fact japan was in total blackout at the time and with a lack of the new satellite system that was just begining to be designed at that time by arthur c clark (of 2001:a space odyssey fame), the pilots of the second plane dropped the bomb on the nearest populated area as they had reached a “point of no return” with their fuel. their order was to drop it on hiroshima, but as history was written, the best laid plans of men and mice….
          the horrid reality of it all was that america wanted to show the rest of the world, primarily the ussr their new toy.
          i truly feel sorry for historians a thousand years from now trying to understand the madness of the 20th century.

• >Kyuubil

Ah, i should have been clear.
          I wasn’t talking to you when i said “Don’t try to make it sound like there was none”
          i was replying to the anonymous two posts above you. My apologies.

• Yeah, Americas dropped nuclear bombs into Japan for experiments..
          And say ” We had to drop the bombs to stop the war..!”
          Did Americans saved some lives because of that ?
          I loved to know.

• Did America apologize to Japan for droping a nuclear bombs for experiment ?
          Did America apologize to Native Americans or African Americans ?
          Did America apologize to Philippines or other countires that they colonized?
          Did UK apologize to India ? or China?
          Did Netherland apologize to Indonesia ?
          Did France and Spain apologized to Phillippines?
          Did you know that the only Asian country (except japan) that was independent from Western countries was Thailand ? Other Asian countires were colonized by Western Countries before WWII ?

• I never said there was -none-, but some things like:

Scroll down to “disbanding and after WWII”, one biochemical weapons charge, one.

But like I said, such research has saved many lives.

Classic nobel syndrome; nobel invented blasting caps, tnt, and a bunch of other explosives, a obituary was printed by mistake saying he died, and he saw the world propogate him as a merchant of death, after his supposed “Death”, so he turned around and established the nobel peace prize; and now, all anyone remembers is the prize, not the explosives.

Yea, they’ve done horrible things, but alot of good came from it, so forgive and forget, ‘neh?

• The japanese have appologized, with medical advancements out the wazoo.

Japan did horrible things during WWII, they were allowed to “Erase’ them in exchange for the data gathered; and I can tell you, medical science would be nowhere near where it is today without that data; simply because the researchers were allowed free reign, with no moral backlash, even today there are plenty of research topics that could save lives, make people walk again, etc, that we’re not allowed to research because god might get angry! oh noes.

Is what they did wrong? yes.

But did it in the end save lives? Oh yea.

• It is very true that those anti-Japanese guys took it this far, but what are the cause?

The REASON is that JAPNA NEVER APOLOGIZED FOR THEIR ACTIONS! Germanys at least said sorry to the Jewish and pay them. Japan NEVER even TRIED to say “SORRY”.

How hard is it to say “I am sorry”? If Japan did that, the Koreans, and Chinese won’t hate them as much.

Worst of all, the prime ministers of Japan visit the Temple that believed in War. The Koreans and Chinese, not wanting another war, had told the prime ministerS not to go there many times, but they ignored. What does it look like when someone who never apologized after punching your face, went and praise and worship some god of war? To me, it seems they did not learn their lesson nor do they feel remorse of their wrong doing. Is that the right thing to do?

If that’s not bad enough, the Japanese CHANGED history. By that I meant they change their HISTORY BOOKS for schools, by saying they were FORCED to attack Koreans and Chinese during WWII because they were in Chaos, thus they needed the Japanese to step in. This is true, that’s why in Canada, the Chinese association negociate with the Canadian government to add Japanese and Chinese WWII events there (back then, the event was barely mentioned), to educate youth more about it.

How much of an a**hole you have to be to dare to change history? And forced the wrong facts on to children by underestimating the death they caused and the damage they did?

So you tell me, should you praise a country who does not apologize for their wrong doing, who dares to change history books and teach their youth the wrong facts, and having the HIGHEST ranked, aka, Prime Minister, to worship the God of War in front of everyone as if he’s saying, the war is not over yet.

So is Japan any good? Hell no to me.

• If you study the history of the place you will find the bases are there exclusively to deal with the threat posed by Russia and now China, and the Japanese pay billions of dollars to keep them there, so they are hardly an imposition.

• As I said in my comment regarding the previous post about this, I feel Japan is harmless. They often like to take the route which involves the least conflict. In this case someone felt canceling the anime was the best choice.

As for the bases, I don’t think we would assist the Japanese in harming South Korea after we fought to drive them out of it in the past. For whatever reason the bases are there to keep an eye on Japan…

• hey i’m a yellow skin and chinese
          you should name they yellow korean
          or just koreans

japan is not afraid, just not caring
          why would you even bother if other country doesn’t want to cooperate with your country?
          you just have to look for another country to deal with them!

i really have no idea what trigger this event, and neither i really care

we live in a depressing world anyway

• Some countries just don’t take it easy…
    Which is why they will still keep their totalitarist governments for a long time…
    Which is a shame.

I can only pity anime fans which would have lots of fun in Korea too.

As for me, I’ll watch and support as much as I can Hetalia. And freedom of speech.

• Mr Joe Higashi says:

nothing is ever that serious. ever. laugh in the face of death i say. you’ll still die, but at least you’ll find it funny when you do go. as for the rest of the people who choose to remain sober and unflinching with the hate-mongering, trying to push the little man down and censor the lives of the free world, what the hell are you doing? the rest of us are having fun over here, you should come on over sometime, it’s great. like the party in “old school”, but make sure you bring some of that stuff you got taken off the air, cause i’m tired of watching the crappy anti “whatever” propaganda you allow to be broadcast…

• @ I’m korean Everyone knows jews control a large portion of American media (its the lulz of plenty of comics in their skits) now think about how many movies of hitler have been produced and funded by those people. There’s more a wish to show people something in warning rather than blind hatred as you don. And if you hate something Japanese so much why would you be here….c’mon srsly….

@ Hurr just lolololololololol

@ Phoot Do you need to be raped before you can decide if you won’t like it or not? Though considering where you’re visiting it’s just a little less likely for you to answer no, but smelling dog food is horrid enough for the sinuses, imagine how you’d react to eating a lot of it…

See what I want to know is if Japan is going around “HERE KOREA MAIK CHURE DIS AIRZ ON UR TV STASHUNS.” forcing them to see something or if Korean officials somehow have gained some sort of censoring rights in Japan. If so wouldn’t America attempt to censor other countries, or is it just brotherly love that Japan and Korea can only share.

• watch your mouth says:

Those little pictures are drawn by kids. Like, primary school kids. Surely they know nothing about it. I do not think that it is reasonable for that kind of insult to be thrown at all the koreans for this matter.

• Hey come on, your country’s portrayal isn’t that bad at least he’s not boring (he’s my favorite asian country in there), no country is perfect, for example US is lound and obnoxious, England is a supersticious dip-stick, France is… well a pervert + more, Russia is a psycho, Italy is a numbnut and loser(in war), Germany is scary, Japan is weird and stubborn (he even mentions how he treats things) and China is like a girl (eventhough he’s suppose to be a man) and copies lots of things. So there you go, don’t take everything so seriously, after all this is a form of SATIRE so obiviously it exaggerates the bad qualities and stereotype of countries. Beside Korea also has good qualities such as being very photogenic and capable of great inventions etc.

To conclude don’t take it to heart as if ‘Japan’ is specifically degrading ‘Korea’ since every country portrayed in Hetalia all have loads of faults, besides Korea wasn’t the only country that was attcked by Japan in WWII and the other countries seem to be taking it fine (I’m not saying that you need to love Japan or that nationalism is bad, just that you need to draw the line between jokes and real offence)

• Cube, don’t say that other people are ignorant when you’re the most ignorant one for not knowing your thing before posting. South Korea and Japan often argued about territory possession in their history and still have many conflicts going on. But there’s a LOT of Koreans who live in Japan and work in Japanese anime studios and such. So why care if you’re not Korean or Japanese, it’s their business and it’s already over.

• u better shut ur fucking mouth idiot. Watch what u r saying! That manga only has Japanese right wing’s perspective of view, and they made Korean look bad as their own thinkings and idea. To yall who enjoy Japanese manga like bunch of otakus, go buy DVDs if u really are in love with Japanese manga. and u better cut ur crap!