The Amazing Spider-Man Meets President Barack Obama

barack-obama-and-spider-man-in-the-amazing-spider-man-583-1

In a not unprecedented but still unusual piece of political marketing, president-elect Barack Obama and Marvel’s arachnid superhero Spider-Man come face to face in an official crossover, in “Amazing Spider-Man #583“.

barack-obama-and-spider-man-in-the-amazing-spider-man-583

Might it not have been more interesting to see the pair pitted against one another?

Marvel’s Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada has this to say:

“When we heard that President-Elect Obama is a collector of Spider-Man comics, we knew that these two historic figures had to meet in our comics’ Marvel Universe.

Historic moments such as this one can be reflected in our comics because the Marvel Universe is set in the real world. A Spider-Man fan moving into the Oval Office is an event that must be commemorated in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man.”

Presumably this fine marketing has presidential blessing, as we hear from Obama last year:

“I was always into the Spider-Man/Batman model. The guys who have too many powers–like Superman–that always made me think they weren’t really earning their superhero status. It’s a little too easy. Whereas Spider-Man and Batman, they have some inner turmoil. They get knocked around a little bit.”

Obama is far from the first president to appear in comics in this fashion: Ronald Reagan appeared in “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns,” Bill Clinton in “Superman: The Man of Steel,” Richard Nixon in “Watchmen” and John F. Kennedy in “Action Comics.”

We even hear of joke president Jimmy Carter on the cover of “Superman vs. Muhammad Ali.”

The comic, “Amazing Spider-Man #583”, is available now.

The good source.

Shades of Rozen Aso… Sadly he did not appear in Rozen Maiden.

19:33 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have no problem with politicians making a couple of cameos here and there but when it's like, "OMGZ IMMA IN YO FACE THIS WHOLE THING BE POLITICS CRAP" (forgive me for that >_>) it just pisses me off.

Not like it really matters though since no one really reads mainstream Marvel or DC anymore.

Comment by shishir
    02:16 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

We will witness one of the most important inaguration of history and its a finale of a great campaign.
    If we look it closely it resembls mix of top brands. have a look http://controversial-affairs.blogspot.com/2009/01/obama-on-20th-jan-campaign.html

01:42 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

tl;dr
    Yeah, I clearly see the point of this.
    Politics and comics shouldn't mix! >.<

Comment by Keigami
    19:10 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol am I the only one that read that like it was manga?
    Completely read that backwards from the way American comics are read, I was really confused for a couple minutes o_o;

Comment by Artefact
    Comment by Kinny Riddle
    23:13 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Happened to me as well. This is what happens when you read too much manga in the "correct" way, that it becomes disorienting when you have to read the American ones "backwards". ^^;

Comment by No comment
    13:03 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

New season series?

Comment by metatron
    17:10 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is first time that i've heard that Obama is a comic fan and a Spider-man at that

16:13 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Tut, I'm all for mister black president, but stay out of our world!

Comment by Watson Waterstone
    08:48 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, Obie looks more muscular, but uglier nonetheless.

And by the way, everyone who didn't vote for Obama is racist ^_^

Comment by Kyo
    15:08 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahmadinejad is a fan of Captain Tsubasa (in mid east it is called Captain Majed).

I wanna see Ahmadinejad play footy!

Comment by Watson Waterstone
    08:48 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, CAPTAIN MAJED!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

14:24 14/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL

they still retained the "I will faithfully execute..." quote.. XD

07:13 10/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Reagan also turned into a snakeman in a Captain America comic :P

08:45 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Everybody gets one."

"but i'm the president!"

"EVERYBODY. GETS. ONE."

03:24 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad the Spidey/Obama crossover is making everyone miss THE comic book milestone of the same day:

Batman dies while killing Darkseid with a gun in Final Crisis #6.

16:55 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kool-Aid Anyone???

I Heard that the Formula for Spidey's web was Peter Parker's Semen and Kool-Aid

Comment by Akumaten
    08:30 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Everybody gets one...

Comment by Duke
    11:28 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Tell him Peter."
    "Uh, apparently everybody gets one."
    "You got it, champ."

Comment by Spoony Bard
    08:27 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now if only they could work Barack Obama into the Kannagi manga..

Comment by moot
    08:23 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't wait until he gets assassinated.

04:13 19/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree completely. I work for a large construction firm that Joe Biden has ties to. While we are already expect several large work orders in the near future, things will probally be even better for me if Joe biden was president. If Obama was assassinated (not to unlikely seeing how many crazy rednecks there are in the country) Joe Biden will be president.

Comment by Akumaten
    Comment by Icy-nee-san
    08:48 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YES ME

06:08 10/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

THEN WHO?

Comment by Akumaten
    12:32 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

COULDN'T BE

09:06 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

seconded XP

08:46 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

right, cause killing ppl is so entertaining eh?
    gtfo back to 4chan where u came from jerk.

Comment by moot
    09:56 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

End yourself.

11:18 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

O RLY?

Comment by Smarter that moot
    08:45 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

[Phone ringing]
    Hello.....
    Can you put me through to the Secret Service, please?

Comment by spinzaku
    08:23 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's only me o spiderman is taking photos with his penis in the last panel?

Comment by Tee Bag
    18:09 18/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Am i the only one who's noticed that spiderman is actually spidergirl on the cover? I mean look at those bewbs! Or is that utility bra also? lol

Comment by Geerie
    09:09 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thats batman you dick and thats his utility belt.

Comment by Citrus
    08:35 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't Obama also make a cameo-of-sorts in Air Gear? Granted, the character in question was named "John Omaha" but it was pretty clear what Oh! Great was getting at...

08:44 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As long as he doesn't appear in Naruto or some shit. Bad enough he got a mention in Air Gear, I'm sure the preteens who read it have a very strong grasp of politics.

07:23 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Rozen Maiden is still on hiatus. Aso won't be making an appearance until Peach-Pit gets better.

Comment by raikentb
    07:21 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf is up with Spidey's head in that third panel?

Comment by OniZai
    00:25 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its Popeye!

Comment by Svinto
    19:11 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I haven't read new Spider Man comics in a long time but it looks to me like the art has gotten worse.

Spider Man's head is the most obvious, but Obama looks weird to. He looks like he was cut out of wood.

07:16 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More promotional bullshit. Like Charlie Brooker once said:

"The Republican campaign was so nakedly horrible it could only have been orchestrated by Skeletor. Why not just change your name to the Bastard Party and march around in long black capes? Vote for us, we're openly despicable."

I mean seriously guys. Seriously.

Comment by Artefact

I have to agree. At least it wasn't a landslide.

Comment by lordchair
    08:09 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't believe I missed that column! I read the Guardian all the time.

It's a great column, too, and Anonymous's point is well made.

Comment by Narcissist
    10:49 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Obama DISGUSTS me.

He will probably show his true colors soon enough, and then we can start calling him Hussein instead.

22:26 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you racist.

23:02 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As opposed to the good and honest folk like you, who show their fucking stupidity right up and centre.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    18:16 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed, what really pissed me off about the election last year was that there was "no choice".

You could vote for the guy who looks to do more business as usual and seems insane, or you could vote the black guy and be in on a monumental occasion. It really felt like such a forced choice that it damn near made me cry with despair and rage. Lets totally forget about the other FOUR other presidential candidates that the media NEVER covers, I think I view the mass media more treasonous than our politicians and bureaucrats in office.

Comment by Narcissist
    21:59 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes I am rich, in matters of money, status, education and life. But that is of course nothing some working class Mr. Joe (most likely) like you know anything about. The wine I am drinking now probably costs more than what you are wearing.

Also, someone who calls oneself a racist is no better than the likes of muslims. Racists, nazists, communist, treehuggers and all other kind of protesting fucked up activists belongs to the bottom of society and should all be sent to Gaza and there be napalmed with the rest of the worthlessness.

Have a good day.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    09:34 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To be clear on this, it's not that I am against Obama because he is part black, I am against him because like I said, there was no perceived choice for the election. Of the two candidates that the worse than trash media ever only covers, one wasn't even someone to consider voting for in the election, hell I might had even welcomed the BLACK WOMAN into office over Obama just because it would have shown that people are interested in choosing their president instead of just flipping a coin on it. Having said that, Narcissist, I'd like to know where you got the information that you base your idea that Obama is such an evil dude (ok ok, more substantial than "he's a politician")

01:33 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't matter as long as you stay this mentally poor.

Have a nice day too ~_^

Comment by GearFourth
    18:30 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, two racists on the internet. Your lives must be so rich and fun! :)

On a serious note: You're both trash.

Good Day.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    09:40 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On another note, it's slightly amusing that it always boils down to race. "You just hate negros is your problem".

Comment by flip
    15:19 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Obama won so cry more you beezy.

I had to sit through 8 years of BS with bush so sit down and shut your mouth.

you sound like one of those people that fell for the "barrack HUSSEEIIIIN!!! obama" rhetoric.

didn't know HUSSEEEIIIN!! scares you so much lol

"HUSSSEEEEIN!!! HUSEEEEIIIN!!! HUSSEEEEEIN!!! OMFG HIS NAMES HUSEEEIIIIN!!!"

I'm tired of politicians trying to scare me, seriously. I can't take anymore of these terror threat levels. "ITS RED!! SOMETHING MAY HAPPEN!! GET SCARED!!"

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    23:58 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol@u for thinking that I'm just like Narcissist, though I will acknowledge the fact that I'm displeased with the system. It's too bad I didn't vote for/was pleased with Bush or that would be the perfect arguement.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. Spite my appearance and Probably more than 1/2 of my posts on semi-political things, I hate politics for this reason. Where do you get off thinking I believe he is like Hussein? I don't look at the scare mongering that is the terror alert system, why the fuck should I care when "we didn't see the 9/11 event coming at us"? Yes I do know I'm going to have to deal with it, that's not my problem. My problem is mainly the treasonous media never ever EVER covering "3rd party candidates", except Ross Perot because they couldn't afford to ignore him. Crymoar? Yes maybe, but you sir, sound like you have a worse problem with "crymoar".

Comment by tweeny
    21:19 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

dude, narc, that is way harsh. i'm like the bastard son of 5 different nations, with even more married into the family. sure there are some really shitty nations out there, but perhaps you should turn the spotlight on your own self and see you for what you truly are, a bitter, twisted, overtly sourmouthed dogooder who represents all that is wrong within modern consumerist society. you hate people without truly understanding why, you just follow what about a hundred other pricks have said before you and you think you're being creative? and yes i know you're so proud to be like that. you're what, 35, had 3 loves in your life, you fucked all those relationships up, but hey it wasn't your fault by all means. your daddy is still paying for your shrink from that time that fat kid at school puked on you during a school trip in 2nd grade and everynight you sit alone in your penthouse apartment fapping off to photos that look like the dentist that visited your high school 19 years ago. honestly, what the hell. i would normally not bothered validating such stupid tripe with a response but i just had to let you know i really pity you for your attention whorish ways and that you should get a fucking life or just move to Gaza before you organize the nuclear strike.