Nintendo Conquers Christmas

made-in-wario-ashley-by-kei

Nintendo’s performance in the all important US market during Christmas 2008 has cemented the company’s supremacy and likely ensured its future as the major player for some time, though gamers are unlikely to be too inspired by either it or the other successes of the season.

The Wii managed Yuletide sales more than double that of the Xbox 360, leaving little room for runner up S**y.

The Wii sold some 3.2 million units in December, the DS another 3 million; of the others, the Xbox 360 managed 1.5 million, the PSP came in with 900,000, and the forlorn PS3 took up the rear with 700,000.

Of the 30 best selling titles, no less than 11 are from Nintendo.

The top ten games are shaping up to be as follows:

Game Platform Sales
Wii Play Wii 1,300,000
Call of Duty: World at War Xbox 360 1,200,000
Mario Kart Wii 1,200,000
Wii Fit Wii 1,000,000
Gears of War 2 Xbox 360 800,000
Call of Duty: World at War PS3 650,000
Madden NFL 09 Xbox 360 500,000
Left 4 Dead Xbox 360 500,000
Prince of Persia Xbox 360 475,000
Wii Music Wii 425,000

Via gamesindustry.biz.

Not the most inspiring selection, to gamers at least, though clearly nobody can easily argue with such commercial success. Sequels and casual games appear to be the order of the day, along with the unimpressive technical capabilities of the Wii.

You can also see the slightly more inspiring 2008 Japanese market

18:32 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

True gamers are few and far between and parents are buying their children consoles younger and younger now, hence these ridiculous console and games sales

Comment by maxchain
    19:26 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WarioWare's not even on the list! Way to get my hopes up.

16:32 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If Nintendo creates a line of ero games called "Wii Fuck" with games like "Shikan Simulator" and "Lolicon Action" , I will buy a Wii.
    So I will think seriously that they have not forgotten that we are adults and that we want ero-games too xD

Comment by kenjiharima
    Comment by Icy-nee-san
    15:25 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WHO THE **** IS BUYING TO WII?? (´Д`;)

01:44 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Call of Duty 4 was done by a diferent team, Infinity Ward. Treyarch is responsible for the WWII COD's. Treyarch is also responsible for some of the worst games i have played (spiderman anyone?). I think they should give the franchise to Infinity ward.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    14:44 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I used to think console FPS were good, but then I tried Battlefield 2142 PC...after that I could barely understand how anyone could stick with playing console FPS. Having said that I have played a couple of the greatest, such as Goldeneye N64 and Timesplitters 3.

Comment by koga88
    12:25 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really hope game designers don't take casual game sales to heart. All we need is the current normal game to hardcore game companies, looking for a quick buck and manufacturing simple casual games and putting quality out the window.

Comment by Jarmel
    12:24 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

World at War still sucks in comparison to 4 but w/e. It seems Nintendo sold their souls for a good price after all.

Comment by Lolispotting
    12:31 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

its not so much that WaW sucks more than CoD: MW, its just that WaW has a more solid multiplayer in terms of game modes. Though I do agree that CoD: MW was much better made overall and a more enjoyable single player experience.

Comment by Jarmel
    12:41 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I disagree in regards to multiplayer. It's personal preference I guess but I feel the guns are better in MW and it's just a much smoother and less aggravating experience(and I've played both alot 10th prestige in 4 and currently 3rd prestige in 5) partly due to less glitches and less campers.

Comment by MooMooCow
    12:15 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wii play really shouldn't count as a game. Brilliant marketing move by Nintendo, but meh...

Comment by motaku96
    12:45 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. The Wii was made for a more general audience so that non gamers would buy it too. C'mon, Wii fit, Wii play, Wii music? Those don't count as games in my book(not that i have one). And they make me exercise too. The only exercising I should be getting out of games is with my thumbs. Yeah, xbox and sony for serious gamers.

Comment by Narcissist
    21:04 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

^ Agree

This Nintendo Wii crap has become really ridicilious, and no-one can call themself a gamer with only a Wii.
    The only use it has really is to make those fat people move lol.

Also, looking at that toplist you realize that the real gamers of the world really are decreasing. In the good old times only GOOD games would get publicity and top rankings. Now-a-days there is only causal crap and worthless random FPS on the toplist.
    Though I would not expect more from the U.S. market. There is no way the list would look like that here...

Baldurs Gate 3, where are you? ;_;

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    18:28 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ehh, I'm not sure it's so much what you say but how you say it and how much venom oozes out of it more than half the time, however yeah, unfortunately I do agree that the Wii does not have much in serious gamers games, what do the other consoles have? Honestly not trying to start a flame war, I don't know much about what is out there for xbox and ps3 besides [insert sport][insert year][insert EA], and random FPS.

Comment by Narcissist
    21:50 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I keep my Xbox 360 for: Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and maybe Blue Dragon. And the occasional other good exclusive release.

I keep my PS3 for all the multi-platform releases, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3, Folklore, Bioshock, Civilization Revolution, Devil May Cry 4, Valkyria Chronicles and maybe Enchanted Arms and some more.

I do of course have loads of more games to them, but those I just have for show and never play them lol.

Comment by Narcissist
    10:54 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol this is like the fifth time someone writes something like this on Sankaku.

I am not that bad of a person you know! I just tend to write what is on my heart, which can be a little extreme (in some peoples eyes) at times. :D

Comment by Halconnen
    09:55 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wholehearted agree with Narcissist.

And my inner world is now breaking apart because I never thought I'd ever write that sentence.

05:48 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For once, I actually almost agree with you. Wii is just a toy instead of a gaming console and few games are considered worthy on it.

Others are tired repetitions of the same thing.

Comment by F O E
    13:11 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nintendo(Wii): Cheap all the way, let's lower the gameplay level since supposedly people can only play games that are as difficult as microwaving food. It isn't our fault if people have no idea if the food in general is plain cold, barely edible, or just disgusting though.

Comment by muteKi
    13:20 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They really need to crack down some 3rd party quality control -- I see that as the biggest issue that the Wii has; that nobody is interested in developing deeper games for the system.

Now mind you the fun games from 10-20 years ago really weren't that deep either, I'd say. I just want ones that are more interesting.

Comment by Inuhanyou
    13:49 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm vastly enjoying gears, COD, and left 4 dead ^^

Comment by twin blades
    13:56 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

arghhh the wii sucks donkey balls!!! why do people by that excuse for a counsole!!!

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    13:39 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

'09 is looking good for the Wii. Sin & Punishment 2, Punch Out, Trace Memory 2, Klonoa, Mad World, etc.

SF4 and RE5 are the only PS3/360 games I'm really looking forward to right now.

Comment by Jade
    13:25 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ohh come on...its cheap...
    the game is for everybody...and you can get fit too!!!
    Nintendo is aiming for people who never play game...and they did it

im waiting for Wii become corrupted...im waiting for manhunt2
    surely that will be the day when Wii take up few steps above other console, and show a potential console that train people physically and mentally become a murderer
    (another outrage like UNICEF presumably to happen)