Winter 2009 Anime Not Want? Sales Wither…

maria-sama-ga-miteru-mizuno-yoko-sato-sei-formal-wear-crossdressing

Could the winter 2009 anime lineup prove a failure? Although the earliest DVD releases are still at the end of January, the preorder situation already looks to be  weak:

(titles are ranked by Amazon sales ranking, unannounced DVDs or continuing shows not included)

マリア様がみてる 4thシーズン 第1巻 / Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th (LE)
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 216

鋼殻のレギオス第1巻 (限定版) / Chrome Shelled Regios (LE)
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 295

まりあ†ほりっく 第1巻 / Mariaholic
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 505

アキカン! 1(特装版) / Akikan (LE)
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 1,858

明日のよいち! 1 (初回限定版) / Asu no Yoichi (LE)
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 2,003

ドルアーガの塔 / Druaga – the Sword of Uruk
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 2,032

黒神 The Animation 第一巻 / Kurokami (LE Blu-ray)
Amazon.co.jp: DVD – 2,336

Leaving aside the already hugely popular Maria-sama, only Regios and Mariaholic look to be doing well. Akikan seems to be doing well, all things considered. Kurokami seems to have made nary a ripple in the fan community, nor won any sales…

Of those to come, possibly White Album will be able to make a strong showing, but that seems to be it.

You can see the season in more detail at the digest.

Naturally, this is but one piece of the overall picture of DVD sales and anime popularity as a whole, but certainly enthusiasm for the new titles seems to have been muted.

Perhaps things will pick up, or perhaps the season’s anime really are deficient?

Comment by Aoshi
    15:57 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kind of clicked the Del key on Akikan and White Album. Marimite still has the pulling power, for all the "yuri" it seems to have though it's extremely mild.

Comment by kyonichi
    15:06 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh, shitty economy + shitty season so far. What do you really expect? After one or two episodes, the most I can say for anything this season is that it has potential... or in more cases, "this is generic, but I'm bored and I like the genre anyway..." There's no way in hell I'd pay the asking price of a Japanese anime DVD release based on first episode "potential."

Comment by jiant2k
    17:42 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks like Kurokami and Regios will be really interesting. But I never tend to compare between genres. Sora O Kakeru Shoujo looks very gonzo plainlike. No new concept but a vairant of Kiddy Grade. Asu no Yoichi is also funny.

19:21 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo is done by Sunrise.......

Comment by ChaoticAnthem
    11:54 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't worry much on some of those anime, I bet more anime fans will pick up some of them when they realize some of them has a potential of being a good anime (I wouldn't be be surprised on Akikan's low preorder though)

Anime like Chrome Shelled Regios is a bit low since they has just been aired recently, they're most likely going to pick up midway.

Comment by Onsokumaru
    12:55 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's wrong with Japan? Chosing White Album over the godly Kurokami?

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    13:53 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Welp, if I'm not mistaken White Album is an adaptation of a reasonably popular Visual Novel and currently those seem to be the top sellers as far as anime DVD's go. What can I say, 2ch really loves their Visual Novel stories.

Comment by Quen
    00:42 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep - it's based off a particularly old, classic visual novel.

I mentioned the year its from in the Winter 2009 Anime Preview Artefact linked to above, I believe.

Comment by Tommy
    16:15 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kurogami got a blueray version? Cool!~ Maria-sama doesn't seem like selling well

Comment by Quen
    00:44 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This might be a misunderstanding - the numbers represent the overall ranking of the volume's sales on Amazon, i.e., a ranking of "1" would be the best-selling disc on Amazon.

Comment by Stormy001
    23:23 30/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It looks like Japanese are not willing to spend $$$. The economy contracted in consecutive 2 months, almost half were gone (41 percent). That has to count for something.

Anime industry is doomed, it is matter of time. I predict 2010 will most drastic drop of anime series count and more studios will be out of business.

Enjoy anime while we can people, for the storm is brewing and bubble is burst.

10:02 01/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, it's just that Winter 2010 not want

Comment by Andrew the Deadman
    22:56 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Try Kurokami, I watched it and I should say that it's quite good :) Dunno why it gets the worst ranking in the list though. They really should give it a chance.

Comment by Gin-sama
    17:36 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Regios probably the best animu I've seen so far. Mariaholic is awesome too. But I can't fap to trap. -_-

Comment by Jarmel
    11:39 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinda sad that Kurokami is so low when it has such great animation(plot changes FTL) as it will look amazing on blu-ray. Who in god's name is preodering Akikan? I guess fanservice shows really sell well as compared to dramas but w/e.

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    Comment by dmil666
    06:19 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's too early in the season to make any predictions. Let's wait until there are 4 or 5 episode out, then start guessing.

Comment by DeGrade
    06:43 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact is to animu what Nikki Finke is to movies.

Comment by Spoony Bard
    06:55 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, Maria+Holic is doing well already and only 2 episodes are out! Mariya's an attractive trap, but I never knew that many people would like the show that much.

Comment by Youko
    07:20 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Surprised but ecstatic to see Kurokami would be going Blu-ray already.

Comment by Crisu
    05:49 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Akikan's numbers surprise me.

Comment by Jin Stevens
    05:08 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Amazing that Maria Sama ga Miteru has such staying power.

06:00 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lesbian schoolgirls? automatic WIN :)

Comment by raikentb
    07:24 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah despite being a fan I was surprised by that too.

Comment by cubed2d
    11:09 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you keep watching and watching and watching, hopeing that they, you know... FUCKING KISS. hurry up already JEEEZUS! stupid lesbo catholics don't know how to have a good time XD /rant off

yea, its a cute series.

11:27 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There was already a kiss - during the second season.

Comment by Narcissist
    23:47 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agree with cubed2d. I prefer Strawberry Panic tbh, especially with the extremly cute redhead Nagisa.

Maria-holic on the other hand was disgusting. The trap aren't cute at all and I hate those damn sado characters, and I hate even more the characters that are receivers for the sado but don't like it but doesn't dare to do anything about their situation. Pathetic and boring.

05:08 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

shitsux, what can i say

Comment by blinx01
    05:25 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You might want to change the artcile title.
    It's a bit misleading with the whole "Winter 2009"...
    As for the topic, these shows have only just started airing. You can't honestly expect people to go and slap down mega bucks on R2J DVD prices before having viewed a sizable amount of a show.
    There's a decent amount of high profile shows so I'm pretty sure sales will pick up once the DVD's come closer to release, which is at least 6 months away yet...

Comment by Quen
    00:39 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It might be confusing, but that is how TV "seasons" are normally referred to.

The series that have been playing for several months now (including the 1-cour ones finished around 2 weeks ago) started airing in Fall 2008, and would be collectively called "Fall 2008 Anime" here.

05:39 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

PREORDERS FOR DVDS BEING RELEASED IN 3 MONTHS ARE BAD

SANKAKU COMPLEX SHOCKED

NEWS AT 11

Comment by iapfah
    Comment by Artefact

It's 2ch which was shocked.

Comment by tingle
    07:43 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i've only seen maria hploc. white album and the OVAs so far and i've already dropped the white album

09:03 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maria Holic is perfect :3

Comment by XA
    07:44 15/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i think that too! ^^

Comment by Ickyarkman
    09:14 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd just like to know who the 2 on the post are ;) But those numbers arent too surprising to me. Itll all go up once more streaming sites are shut down.

Comment by Ino
    09:19 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone watch Sora o Kakeru Shoujo?
    Lelouch returns as an AI to rule the universe
    ^ Love that tag ^^

Didn't know what to expect, was thinking something along the lines of Toki o Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time), but was something totally different.

Comment by psycholoner
    09:00 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Am I the only one who actually likes Akikan? I'm kinda depressed to see that but people like what they like and hate what they don't. But not much really caught my eye this season. I've seen the firsts of most of them but the ones I'm looking out for are Akikan and MariaHolic. Nothing really stands out to me.

Comment by Zanber
    12:26 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Akikan was a let down mostly due to noticeably bad animation quality.

13:00 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Generic Harem 283213723

Comment by SaruDa
    11:46 25/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Akikan is a terrible story consisting of a slightly original twist on one of the oldest themes in anime, so-so music, awful animation quality, and creepy characters (The protagonist hits on vending machines and the antagonist is gay and a shota-con).

For all of these reasons, It's probably my number 1 or 2 for this season.

Comment by rargy
    08:17 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I downloaded a bunch of 1st episodes but nothing screams watch me like Toradora or Kannagi did last season. Already deleted Akikan.

Comment by cemex
    08:29 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

We are in the midst of a recession so that's probably had an impact

Comment by Buri
    08:53 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People are just poor after building up a fap supply from C75.