How To Make An Ita-PC

zero-no-tsukaima-ita-pc-guide-video

This interesting video details one approach to making a desktop ita-PC, a PC whose moe qualities (or more likely, obsessively involved construction) induce pain in the viewer, as with an itasha. In this case, a rather tsundere Zero no Tsukaima design is opted for…

The total cost, including the case, came to about ¥13,000, and it took some 5 hours to make, with a week of preparations.

The video is basically visually self explanatory:

Player 1

Nico.

Of course, it is possible to take a much more involved approach than this, but the results here seem quite satisfactory. See also the Strike Witches ita-notebook.

The maker has also turned his hand to creating an ita-keyboard guide to go with it…

Those looking for suitable images (Zero no Tsukaima or otherwise) will find them on the Channel

Comment by firaku
    20:15 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, I'd love to do this to my pc but everyone would get pissed cos it's not just mine.

Comment by Mercurius
    19:45 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Already did something like that in 2003

A bit simple though and costs are 15 EURO ~20 USD?
    And a few bucks for 80km of gas for driving around for the stuff ;)

Comment by firaku
    20:54 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Your .Hack/ ita-pc is just awesome, nice work!

Comment by G4tsu
    00:48 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What did you use to make it?
    Sorry I don't understand german Y__Y

Comment by Mercurius
    07:58 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I used some kind of transparent film for overhead projectors. The film itself is sticky and you can put it into a laser color printer.

I went to a digital copy&professional print shop where they can print on such things up to DIN A2 size. I gave them my prepared pictures, they did the printing for me.

Go to a print shop (a copy shop normally don't have biiig laser color printers) and ask them for service.

Comment by sleepy
    16:38 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

my guess is he's using vinyl.
    Probably has self adhesive backing.
    That's probably water he's spraying in order to slow the adhesive process; that way he could put everything in the right place before it sets.

Comment by Mercurius
    19:52 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes he is using a vinyl like stuff or overhead projector stuff which you can print yourself with your inkjet printer. Therefore he has to cover everything additionally with that 3M stuff, which you also can use to protect your mobilephone display.

And the water is mixed with a bit of soap (the one you use when you do hand washing spoons and dishes ... sorry my english is pretty weak). This is a common process step to position vinyls... even on cars it is done the same.

A alternative is to print your stuff with inkjet, you can use special vinyls which also work for laser printers (attention there are ones only for inkjet and ones only for laser). Then they are waterresistant withour that 3M stuff.

Comment by MaimeDaifuku
    16:04 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact, we need an english instruction menu since a lot of us cant read kanji. I would love to do this!!!

23:51 14/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wat is the meaning of ita in ita-PC??

Comment by G4tsu
    00:46 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Does someone have some explanation in english on what to use to do that? pleaaaase!

Comment by Smithy
    03:44 12/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's a nicely done homebrew mod. Certainly a lot cheaper than the custom cover I had made for my Psile:

08:35 12/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hah! I can see you're language settings, good to know I'm not the only person from there visiting this site ;)

Mmmh if I ever bored I bet etching a C.C. into a piece of plexiglass + green leds would look good..

Comment by metatron
    23:08 12/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is interesting.

I hope someone would translate the instructions =3

Comment by Krunk
    15:04 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Newb question:

What does prefixing something with ita- mean? I've seen it all across this site.

Comment by Quen
    15:53 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a Japanese pun of sorts.

Itasha (イタ車) is short for "Italian-car".

However, the Japanese for pain is itai (痛い).

The hiragana "i" is the part of the word that becomes conjugated (declined?) depending on the use of the word, the base "ita" part can mean "pain" by itself.

Itasha(痛車) means "pain-car", but also is pronounced the same as "itasha" for Italian car.
    Since most otaku-decorated cars tend to use sports car as their models, and the results look to normal folk to be grotesque (or even painful), the word is a fun pun.

Basically, ita-whatever means something that's been decorated with pictures of anime, manga or game artwork.

Comment by Krunk
    16:06 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome explanation! Thanks! :)

Comment by eksuterru-kun
    14:57 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nice. gonna do it when i get a new pc. my old pc hasn't been used for ages but i could use it for practice.

Comment by KeIlogs
    07:37 01/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's what I'm doing.

Comment by Rc1nco4ever
    07:59 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome!! I want to do it with my PC!

Comment by vesper_nova
    08:55 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this video rasies more questions then it answers. it shows him make an ita-pc but itdoesn't really go into how you can make one. there is no voice over takling about the procees. it doesn't show a list of matterals needed for it. I mean was he using water or some type of glue spray to attach it to the case. and what about the cd tray doors. it didn't show him doing that part. it would help if some could translate the on screen writing

20:35 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It was meant for Japanese audience, and he did state liquid cement. I'm assuming those that are used for modelling too.

09:22 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a similar mod done by vinyl.

Comment by Rc1nco4ever
    07:58 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome!! I want to do it with my PC! >_<

07:41 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can someone explain what he's doing? I would definitely do this sort of thing over the break (only 13000 yen...).

Comment by KajunBowser
    06:59 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Great! I'd like to create one of these myself.

07:07 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ME WANT!

i saw thats its a 3m brand probably i could get them from some arts supply store...im going to do it to my comp damn...ill do the same ZnT cause its my fave

Comment by iapfah
    07:41 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How exactly do you make these? What materials, where to get them, etc.

09:25 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Someone should just start a site and take orders I would pay.

Comment by retsnom
    10:06 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What kind of printer is that? And what is he spraying before sticking the images on?

Comment by Tommy
    13:52 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What kind of plastic that he use after the printed page?

Comment by Jin Stevens
    14:02 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's pretty clever. So you need 3M film, a good printer and some patience to get the images exactly right. The video makes it look a lot easier than it probably is to do. I can already see myself messing up on getting images centered or cutting them off.

Comment by Mercurius
    19:57 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You may start of simpler like I did in 2003:

Printed with a ColorLaser printer you don't need the 3M Stuff, since it is already waterproof.

But I think the Laserprinter overhead projector vinyl I used is not flexible enough for the keyboard mod we saw in the other article. So you can't doing that this way.

Comment by Reaver
    12:32 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm very interested in this. I would also like to know what spray he's using, I was thinking adhesive spray (for paper n sech) but I wasn't quite sure if that was what he was doing, it looked a lot like water xD

13:33 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Judging from the last Anon's idea, it most pro'lly is water.

Comment by Mercurius
    20:00 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It is water with a bit of handwash soap for dishes and spoons and stuff (sorry my english is not very good). You mix on such a spray bottle, just a few drops. This process step is also used to fix Car vinyls to cars. Or window tint vinyls to car windows.

11:56 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thought I'd share, my roomie says that 3M clear film-looking stuff's car tinting film. Says you just need to wet the target surface, smoothen it out, then blowdry.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    11:03 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh wow, very nice, i should have known it was possible and very affordable, but alas, didn't have any ideas to drive me to finding out how it would be possible.

...Having said that, since I'm pretty much freeloading here...not much of anything gonna happen :/

11:49 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's the song playing?

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    11:55 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's YOU'RE THE ONE by ICHIKO, Zero no Tsukaima 3's OP if interested