Gurren Lagann 2nd Movie Release Date Revealed

trvvfref-deculture_0029.jpg

A release date for the 2nd Gurren Lagann theatrical movie, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Spiral Chapter, has been revealed as April 24, 2009.

The second of two planned theatrical adaptations of the popular Gainax TV series, 劇場版 天元突破グレンラガン 螺巌篇 / Gekijouban Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Rasen-hen will presumably cover the second story arc of the series, following the time skip after episode 15 of the original show.

Aside from the release date, no further details about the film have been leaked yet; the official Gurren Lagann Movie website will be a good resource for future updates, and of course you can expect to see some further coverage of the film here…

gurren-asn23uhnsxuiqwh.jpg

Promotional artwork for the first Gurren Lagann movie, Crimson Chapter.

Via Saiani.

Comment by Gurren Lagann
    03:18 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah cool, was wondering when they would announce the date.

Comment by tmsidr
    13:21 01/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I watched the movie at the German Connichi convention (some people from Gainax who made the show were guests). The first movie was mostly a recap of the show, but the last ~20 minutes was new stuff, because they combined some battles to get a more spectacluar ending for the first half. The 2nd movie will probably start with the battle against Teppellin and then cover also the rest of the series.

Comment by chocotaco
    16:57 19/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

god damn gainax and their god damn recap remake movies

10:06 04/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Everytime I see risqué pictures of nia I reach nirvana! but in all seriousness there's so much more to gurren lagann then ecchi it's a way of life Kamina is the anime equivalent of chuck norris and simon is his second coming

Comment by COSMO
    18:19 12/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I prefer they make an alternate story where Kamina survives the battle... The most interesting part of Gurren Lagann is only when Kamina's still alive (I could watch it over and over for almost 5 times!!)

Comment by Agon
    23:16 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I rated your comment negatively because you failed to warn about the spoiler. Just because this is an article about the second movie doesn't necessarily mean that people who haven't watched the series won't be tempted to read the articles and/or comments.

Comment by metatron
    22:50 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait for the DVD of movie 1 to be out in the Internets =3

Comment by sealouse
    08:50 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Recap movie?

Comment by Quen
    00:50 01/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, these are essentially "recap" movies.

Shoko-tan did sing a new song for Crimson Chapter that I heard in the trailers, but I haven't seen the first movie yet either...

Comment by trygle12
    08:27 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

How was the first movie? I wasn't even aware of it's existence.

Comment by iragedsohard
    08:45 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

From what I've heard it mainly focused on Yoko.

It sounded decent but not as good as the show.
    Haven't been able to watch yet though.

Comment by Xavi
    09:36 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Mmm *slurp* delicious Nia illustration!

Too bad that the show sucked up big time, one of the worst I've seen actually. Thank god there was at least a little bit of Yoko and Nia too keep us aesthetically alarmed.

Comment by raikentb
    16:11 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd have to agree. I would have liked the series more if it hadn't built me up just to knock me down at the end. Didn't help that the ending reminded me of how Mahoromatic turned out 'shudder'

Comment by Shadowstitch
    10:53 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Mmmm...Eau de Troll. ;D

Comment by jj
    12:19 02/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

C'est vrai, ça.

Comment by Xavi
    13:56 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry that I don't get your catchphrase, but why a troll? Because I said I didn't like the series?

I see a smiley there though so if I missed your sarcasm ignore me....

Comment by Yuun
    10:07 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember there's a movie somewhere but seeing how I just cant finish the series, I will have to hold till I complete the anime. Yuko~!!! She is simply delicious! Her existance is a sin...

Comment by blinx01
    11:08 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

As far as I know, the movies are recaps of the TV series with no/little new footage.
    I'd much rather they pumped out some alternate universe OVA's or an epic film featuring Simon in Garlock mode like we saw in ep one.