Comiket 75 Cosplay Digest

8yjs2378ys436674334gd-02_c_600x800

A small gallery of cosplayers taken in and around the Tokyo Big Sight during the first 2 days of Comiket 75, one of the premier locations for cosplay on a large scale in Japan.

These pictures are are rather random, taken by non-professional cameramen and are among the first to be posted on Japanese blogs.

This is most definitely not a collection of the best C75 cosplay seen so far, but it should help those readers unable to be at the Comiket at least a small feeling of what it is like to be there…

29_c_600x800

013-2

013tttt

010-1

008-3

034

001-2

View the rest of the photos at Ascii and Hobby Channel’s 3-part series: 1, 2, 3.

Comment by Steve
    03:28 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh boy, these cosplayers are so much better than the ones at Anime North...

Comment by ETERNAL
    13:22 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I was just about to say that. I wonder, though, does Comiket have bad cosplayers as well or do we just not get to see them because no one bothers taking pictures of them?

03:19 01/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

> I was just about to say that. I wonder,
    > though, does Comiket have bad cosplayers as
    > well or do we just not get to see them
    > because no one bothers taking pictures of
    > them?

I speak only about what I saw this time at C75, I reckon the proportion of "fucken awesome" cosplay is very high.

The boys' changing room (I can't speak for the girls) is basically a big open carpeted space, the sort of thing you'd use for a dinner function at a hotel. Just with no barriers, no tables, nothing. Some random observations:

1. There are a *lot* of boys crossplaying, it could be as high as 50% of them (guessing). It's naturally harder to call them "really good cosplays", but it's evident that there's lots of love for what they're doing in either case.

2. A lot bring a *big* suitcase along with all their gear. You simply can't travel there in your outfit, so this suitcase is like a treasure chest.

3. Despite whatever reservations Japanese have about strangers, the atmosphere is very jovial and camaraderie is evident; I had people offer to help with the zipper on my dress four times. People are here to have *fun*.

4. I don't believe I saw any "gag" cosplays. Nothing silly, no 5 minute jobs, no duct tape. They're here to have fun, but they take their fun very seriously (if you've ever visited an arcade in Akiba then you'll understand precisely).

Other thoughts: I'm still not sure how I feel about photographers. I may not be privy to a lot of background, history and convention, but a lot of it feels clinical, emotionless and like an unequal power relationship.

This guy's wearing mil-type camo gear all over, carrying a big DSLR camera with a secondary battery grip and dedicated flash unit. The thing on his waist is a camera bag, large enough to accomodate pretty much the whole camera at once, with extra lenses off to the sides. The camera makes a fluttering noise as it takes several pictures a second.

I guess this suits the desires of the cosplayer and photographer alike, but I can't help but feel like there should be more to it. There's no apparent effort to get to know anyone or learn more about them, and the process seems akin to shooting catalogue photos with a mannequin.

Comment by maru
    02:22 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

MOAR LENALEE! I mean, just look at those legs!

Comment by Stonehound
    02:51 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

^This. If only that camera angle didn't have the undesirable side effect of making the cosplayer's face look all screwed up...

Comment by metatron
    01:53 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

That Lenalee cosplay is freaking awesome! and I find the cosplayer cute =3

Comment by Kageryu
    Comment by Mechwarrior
    00:23 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Poor girl standing next to the Guilty Gear poster.

19:01 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, how come it's indoors?

I went there on the 2nd and 3rd day and they were both outdoors (on different places each day, though...)

But even so, it was great! I wish I had more money V_V

I took some nice pics as well, but I suppose that posting the link here would be a little bit like self advertising, right?

Comment by Artefact

Feel free to post the link (you can up them on the forum too if you want), sharing such relevant material is to be commended.

19:49 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay

Fresh in, as the last ones were taken like 4 hours ago ^_^

(link removed at behest of poster)

Since it's my first comike, I didn't know the cosplay plaza would be in different locations each day. I couldn't go on Sunday, but on Monday it was behind the west hall, and when I went back there today, they weren't there, so I was kinda disappointed.

And just when I was going back out, I saw that the cosplay plaza was on a third floor place after a set of stairs outside the entrance of the west hall. But it was too late, so I was only able to take just so few pictures before they started kicking everybody out at 3:00...

Comment by stampede
    11:19 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

anyone who does cosplay understands that pics will be taken and shared, and one has to imagine they'd be thrilled for everyone to see them.

Comment by Artefact

I believe he is concerned about all the fat otaku in frame becoming angry.

20:41 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Now that I think of it, there are many non-anonymized pictures in there, and given the state the current world is in, some owners of the faces in that page may not find it so interesting that I took pictures of them, if they find out...

So I'm sorry to say I retract from posting that link, and I would appreciate it if you removed it. And until it is removed, I have disabled the page... happiness only lasts one hour V_V

I'm really sorry about it.. I guess I should think of what I do much better before I do it, right?

Comment by Quen
    19:27 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The indoor pictures are from some special studio area, the usual spot for these photos is outside in the normal cosplay area, of course.

As Artefact said, too.

Comment by Quen
    18:54 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I included a "bonus" image in there, free cookie (or cake) to first one to notice.

06:14 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Bet it's the maid -- she's a real employee of a maid cafe, not a cosplayer.

02:31 01/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm reasonably sure it's not the maid, though she looks suspiciously familiar. She was walking around the cosplay area.

Comment by Quen
    11:15 01/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess I need to attune myself a bit more to trappish images, I thought this one would be appreciated by someone (?) out there:

Comment by Mr. Rawr
    Comment by Phenie
    22:27 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

There are more from day two and three on my blog if anyone cares for more.

Comment by linkinstreet
    21:28 30/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I sent my friend to get some cosplayers DVD yesterday. I hope he managed to buy it as he's been AFK on MSN. D:

AND WTF GUILTY GEAR XX ANIME???
    DO WANT!!