gokubulma-dragonball.jpg

The upcoming Hollywood theatrical film version of Dragonball has seen its promotional campaign ramp up in recent months, with the expected result of sending fans of the series into lurid rages.

One helpful 2channer has collected a number of comments from a a wide range of countries and translated them into Japanese for his fellow’s convenience. They do make for an entertaining read…

A condensed summary of the comments:

Korea:
This is a joke right? There’s no way they ever read Dragonball?

Canada:
This is Dragonball? What a farce.

U.K.:
This annoying movie will destroy Dragonball’s legend!

U.S.:
I watched Dragonball since I was little…the ‘Dragonball’ part in the title is an utter lie.

Belgium:
Learn some shame Hollywood!

France:
Are they gonna sell it at Comiket 75?

Holland:
Is this like the Star Wars version of Dragonball?

Japanese fans’ comments followed suit in decrying the farcical movie:

It looks like a B-Grade Kung Fu movie…

Don’t they feel embarrassed for making this?

I think (movie adaptations) of Japanese anime should be left to Japan.

Bulma looks like Rambo fighting with those guns.

How did the French guy know about Comiket?

Hollywood sure is shameless. Just so that it’ll sell better, they destroy the original story. Why didn’t they just start from the very beginning with a different property?

I’ll spare you the rest, as it all follows in the same vein. Apparently it seems easy to find criticism of the film regardless of the nationality of the posters, but what is hard is finding anyone that is actually pleased with what they’ve been seeing.

Are there any Dragonball fans out there happy about the film, I wonder?

dbposter.jpg

Japanese poster for Dragonball: Evolution

Shown below is the trailer for Dragonball: Evolution. It should give those unfamiliar with the live action project a better idea of what to expect:

Poll unavailable.

Comment by SaintNicolas
    14:37 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do these freckled\pink\face\white always treat Asians as shit. Why not give the main role for the Asian for once goddamit. Goku is fucking Asian! Goddamn those nazi bastards who hired chatwin! DAMN YOU!!

I think you fucking freckled\pink\face\white are afraid to give Asian people a CHANCE.

BECAUSE WE ARE BECOMING MUCH INTELLIGENT & TOUGHER THAN YOU WHITE SHITHEADS!!!

YOU WHITE DWEEBS ARE AFRAID OF WHAT WE ASIAN'S MIGHT BECOME!!!

06:50 08/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, Goku is an alien, not an asian, but I understand your confusion. :P

Anyway, say what you want but no matter how bad this movie will turn out, it will never be as bad as the average Japanese live action movie. Admit it, these are usually nothing but some idiots jumping around in spandex on an Akihabara rooftop.

Comment by TheDemon2300
    14:25 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I have been a supporter of this movie ever since Fox acquired the rights back in 2001-2002.

There is nothing that I have heard or seen from this film that would make me dislike it.

I'm looking forward to it and will likely pay to see it in the theater MULTIPLE TIMES.

Comment by Lexis
    07:03 09/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Negative for me. Hollywood needs to leave the live action movies of japans anime series to japan. I mean come on a white Goku no thanks not to mention goku is a little kid in the original dragonball series.. Not even gonna bother with this Hollywood trash.

Comment by KajunBowser
    16:07 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And I thought the live-action version of Akira was going to suck!! OMFG this sucks MJR balls!!!!!! They've totally perverted the name of DBZ, and raep'd it over and over and over again. Everyone (except the cast) should be arrested and sent to Club Git'mo! EPIC FAIL x1000.

Comment by VEGETA_DTX
    02:26 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

db-lam-protest.forumotion.com
    ______________________

Now about the question - negative or positive???

My answer is:
    KILO-MEGA-GIGA-TERA-PETA-EXA-ZETTA-YOTTA-ULTRA-SUPER-DUPER-UBER-OMEGA-DBZ(yep DBZ! :D thats the strongest unit :P)-NEGATIVE!!!

I think if you are even SLIGHTLY fan or sympathizer of DB/Z then it comes as a PHYSICAL LAW that you MUST hate this movie.

Those who claim that they are DB/Z fans and support this movie are in my opinion none other than Fox employees or some posers who are fans of something not cause they like it really but cause its "IN" to be a fan of something today...and DB/Z always parodied such impure and elitist attitude and always preached purity and fight for the good ;) So there you have it...

DEATH TO THIS AWFUL PIECE OF EXPLOITATION AND CHILDHOOD RAPE!!! AND LONG LIVE TRUE DRAGON BALL FANDOM!!!

Comment by Lord Zero
    08:13 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I cant but to agree.
    Those anime rapers deserve to be raped to dead.

Comment by killerkay
    13:17 21/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SSSSSSSoooo true..the first time I saw this I had a homicidal impulse towards my computer(throw it out the window in hope that wil die a honorable death after I loaded the said video on the inocent screen) and to rip out my eyes with a very rusty fork..(im not a masochist) but the hole idea of this movie had that impact.....Death to Hollywood...

Comment by Kingpin
    11:53 31/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Positive, because I am a hopeful person, who hopes this movie does good and I don't give negative feelings to things like movies or fictional people. I save my hatred for real people and the such.

Comment by pmhoa
    06:16 26/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i my self am very excited to see this movie

Comment by blackcat-kun
    15:18 26/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i just try to be positive.
    but my mind kind telling me negative negative..*10^10
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH MY HEAD HURT!!

Comment by Neo X Alucard
    21:49 26/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL @ all the comments! I used to love dragon ball, still do. But that will not keep me from seeing and possibly enjoying this movie.

Guys, don't cling to the past so much, life is too short. Dragon Ball is long in need of an update, Evolution might be it. Either way LOL @ all the losers who thought that a Hollywood adaptation would be a carbon copy of anything Dragon Ball they had seen before! Get Over it!

This is exactly why I didn't read any of the HP book. Despite all the HP movies being great, most of the book fans are disappointed that things aren't exactly the same as the book. But I did see every single ep. of DB,DBZ,GT and moives. And even I can admit that I'm a little disappointed that we don't get to see the old Goku we all know and love, but I have moved on and hope to see a good rendetion of DB.
    If not oh well, there is other stuff out there.

06:06 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm looking forward to this movie, but I love bad movies, and this looks like the perfect movie to laugh at and make fun of with your friends.

Comment by Daniel
    08:51 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The way it's going, it could either turn out to be a cringe-worthy nightmare or a hilarious unintentional comedy. Either way, one thing I am very certain about is that it will be an absolute flop. When I first heard that a Dragonball live action was being made, I facepalmed. I always thought that it simply wouldn't work and it would be a laughing stock. But I never imagined that it would be THIS bad...

02:48 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Three reasons on how this movie COULD become a hit:

1. The people who will heavily criticize the film

2. The curious people and

3. People who have nothing better to spend their time and money on

Comment by H8gwb
    14:47 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm happy that the 2 hour limit will keep the characters from leveling up too much.

And that this will further destroy the reputation of one of my most hated series.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    19:48 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Transformers was a cheap action flick lil story,pissed on characters and crap CGI designs. It screams B grade with a A+ budget...kinda like Xmen...and BLade...oh wait...Blade got a B class budget... it was a F....

Anyway I can not stand it when they take perfectly good fiction and rape it to repackage it for mainstream.

Lets face it people..its going to suck now it not suck as bad as DOOM or Street fighter it might even be bad but funny.... but its going to be bad.... Have you all forgotten DOA already?

Comment by DarkZhiro
    23:15 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Man every time i watch the trailer i just not able to stop my hysterical laughter when i see how goku does the kamehame-ha

Comment by eh?
    22:32 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

who is this person that looks nothing like goku?
    and who is this person that looks nothing like... whoever shes meant to look like...

its been a while..

Comment by exia
    00:22 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i lolz at this utter failure.

22:39 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"How did the French guy know about Comiket?"

I would like to know this as well.

Comment by Trunks
    20:35 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GOKU IS ASIAN!!!

You wanna know why Goku is Asian???

Goku is based on the Chinese character named Sun Wukong the Monkey King.

Dragonball is based on the Chinese Novel Journey to the West.

Goku has all the Asian features such as black hair & black eyes.

Akira Toriyama explained that Goku's gi uniform is modeled after the robes worn by the Shaolin monks of China, being that he wanted Dragon Ball to take on a Chinese feel.

Goku's name was written in Kanji. If he was a white baby Goku, his name would be written in katakana.

If a Mangaka makes a character who's name is written in Kanji then that would mean that the Mangaka's intent was to make a Japanese Character.

So if you will use your common sense you will know that Goku is 100% ASIAN.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    11:45 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh race dose not matter so much when you are re doing a story for film, frankly I would be more offended scene they are changing so much more.

Comment by KW
    17:54 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

if they did name it dragon ball and did not include the dragon balls and the clothes and name it something else, it juz might be better

Comment by DuoMaxwell
    14:11 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Believe me, when I saw the trailer on Youtube, I thought, "What the f***?!"

No, really, WHAT THE F...

::explodes in anger, no evil laughs are heard::

I've seen Dragon Ball Z for years, the English Ocean/Funimation dubs, and the Japanese clips, it doesn't matter, but I know that THIS IS NOT Dragon Ball material!

Take out the title and iconic Dragon Ball pic from the movie, and what do you get? A movie that has nothing to do with Akira Toriyama's work!

Two things should be done about this:

1. Akira Toriyama should sue the director, 20th Century Fox, or both for ruining such an anime franchise, and Toriyama has a very high chance of winning that legal battle. He'll "Kamahameha" those charges right at them and blow the director to another dimension!

2. If Death Notes did exist, i'd like to what Light Yagami would do if he saw the trailer: find out the director's name and face, write down his name on it, and hang himself in the DragonBall Evolution movie set, and have it included in an upcoming DVD of it!

Comment by shiki
    09:51 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i give it a positive... and i will say why

1.- have any of you see a dragon ball movie (japanese really old) well i saw it and it sucked really bad (the story more than all)

2.- i have seen almost all from dragon ball, but i am not taking this movie like something from dragon ball (they just took the name and some of the story)

to watch this forget all you know about dragon ball and watch it like a normal movie... and you will like it...

and if you want something that looks like dragon ball from the manga and anime... well keep dreaming, that never happend in all the others anime / movie attempts

i will watch it and i am sure it will be a nice movie... if i will relate this movie with the dragon ball we all know... of course not (i dont want to destroy something i like)

Comment by msotaun
    08:11 12/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Ha!!! The Japanese never made a live action of Dragonball, idiot!!!!!
    2. If they want to make this so that people will see it as another film, the friggin change all the Dragonball-related name in heavens sake!!!

Anyone who watches instead of boycott this crap is automatically disqualified from the Dragonball fanbase.

Comment by Kibate
    10:55 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i agree with shiki, that is 100% my opinion too. This is NOT Dragonball from akira toriyama, this a completely new movie/story and just took some small parts from the manga/anime.
    DON'T compare this to the manga and you will like it

Comment by Trezaquets
    11:27 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

even if I think this will be bad,,,
    I'll watch this movie when it comes out...

after I saw the trailer,,,
    its like a whole new story, just like shiki said,,,

Comment by alex1_phang3
    13:11 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This is BULLSHIT, unless they're trying to tell us this is a whole NEW story.

KNOW YOUR STORY BEFORE YOU MAKE THE MOVIE HOLLYWOOD!!

Comment by Tatsu
    08:59 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Laugh if this becomes a hit.

03:42 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

That's definitely not Dragonball by all mean!!!

Comment by Lenmaer
    03:33 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah it's the crap movie of year 2009.
    I'll never watch this movie.

04:05 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh? Why do some of us think that a non-anime Dragonball movie made by the japan can make any difference? (*points at death note movies*)

04:32 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I laughed through the entire preview.

Comment by antsheaven
    21:46 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

whoa, so many comments...
    I wonder if it's a new record?

Anyway, I'll just wait for the movie to be released, wait to see/hear people's reaction, and, depending on what I've heard, watch/ignore it.

I will probably watch it anyway. If it's bad, it will be so bad it's good.

Comment by wrf
    05:40 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

NANDE YANEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by TRXAcero
    06:40 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Jajaja, voted negative
    And i'll watch it even if it is a whole piece of... Hollywood it's awesome XDDDDDDDD
    Well, still, it looks funny for me. I can't deny the fact that it's an insult for the series, but man, think about it as an American-money-seeking adaptation than a subliminal piece of... something a dog left behind after doing it's job XDDDDDD
    It will make it easier for you all to see it... And aside what most of you said still all are going to see it XDDDD

God Bless America and it's adaptations anyone looks even it is piece of... XDDDD

PD: No, i'm not gonna say what really comes after the dots never XD

Comment by Rafael
    07:51 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This movie will shame all the anime series... ~.~
    You'll see people tha don't like anime, will say worst things than before...
    Nothing good coming with this...
    ...I think

20:39 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

well, let just try and think our beloved DragonBall never exist in the first place.......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOXDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!11111111111111111111

14:38 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

They could at least acknowledge that its "loosely" adapted.

Comment by TerrawindX2
    16:12 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It's hard finding those who are pleased?

Go to this website:

dbthemovie.com

Experience the retardedness of the internet.

They actually love it.

You'll see some of my comments there too, supporting the movie, because I have some bit of hope left. But apparently it's starting to dim.

So yes, NEGATIVE.

Good thing it's EVOLUTION in the title, otherwise it would be an insult to the original.

And it does look like a B-Movie kung fu movie in vein of The Forbidden Kingdom.

Comment by Miroku74
    19:04 25/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Dragonball Evolution....

Evolution implies Survival of the Fittest. Let's wait and see if this film grosses higher than other anime-to-movie adaptations first before we judge it. My own initial impression of this craptastic take on a classic series notwithstanding.

18:00 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

There needs to be an Epic Fail choice on the poll...

Comment by TerrawindX2
    18:12 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I would advise you all to at least see the movie ONCE.

It's a lesson learned from the people who decried the TRANSFORMERS movie before it even came out.

Comment by msotaun
    08:13 12/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, the trailer's enough for anyone with a brain, whether they're familiar with Dragonball or not

Comment by Cliffjxn
    08:42 24/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Transformers movie was garbage. Yes, it had great effects and the human leads were hot, but, overall it sucked as a movie. It had a nonsense story. None of the robots were well developed as characters. The actions an motives of most of the characters didn't really make any sense. And like DBE most of the movie's memorable moments and plot points were ripped off from better movies.

20:18 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf ?_?.......they flipped da whole thing......sheesh its such a waste of money even to make smthin this redundent

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    06:13 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They could have made it more like speed racer like advanced tech odd citys, no furries just mostly a human population with powerful fighters, the kid lives alone with his adoptive father until he dies and then when he’s a teenager he goes off for adventure and to find Master Roshi.

Picclo whos age roughly matches gokus, is trying to gather up the dragon balls so have that element in the back ground, Goku who's now in his 20s finds master Roshi finally and starts his training for Chi/energy manipulation.

Now Kami and MR.Bobo could be handled as a Indian style deity, they are not really gods but space aliens who have come to earth to help it. Now from here you could toss in Gema and the metaphysical world of the soul for kicks, he does not need be a 20 story giant a 8-10 foot giant with a huge bread will do, he manages one of many places where souls come into to the afterlife.
    He and Kami have a talk about Picclo and the damage he is brining to the world and that something must be done, Rochi and Kami are friends and he sees great potential in Goku, he and 3 other warriors(Krillain,Yamcha and what’s the 3 eyes gay name?) are gathered together do some fighting with each other and then go to Kami for final training to allow them to maximize their Chi powers, so we go from basic energy blasts that are equitable to mediocre sci fi weapons to more DB/DBZ style energy blasts.

They then go off to fight Piccolo and his minions.
    Its better than completely ignoring the fiction like they are doing… I’d rather see it toned down and redone than raped…

Comment by Artefact

Sell that to Hollywood...

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    11:37 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They wouldn't take it its too close to the original IP :P

And yes I know my idea is half arsed, it is merely a exsample...like most my thoughts...:P

But there are limits to what you can do for a film, its not Disney so kids are out, if its teens or tweens(12-2X) staring in it you can gain more foot traffic.

Hell IMO DB is star wars without the heavy mysticism,light sabers and romance.

Play up the tech and non human races aspects of the show then add in the fighters and life force manipulation. Give it as much mysticism as Kung fu panda to not offend the wooly and dim American film goer.

I mean come on look at what they did to Doom to make it for sheepple.....