Kannagi Mangaka Eri Takenashi Critically Ill

4a0b1288b6ab5e3bad65bfbf7697872e

The health of Kannagi mangaka Eri Takenashi is apparently in exceedingly dire straits, with possible consequences far graver than an indefinite hiatus for her popular manga.

The latest news comes by way of statements made by mangaka 峰倉かずや / Kazuya Minekura (Saiyuki) on her blog; in wishing her well, she says “At the current time she can’t even move her body”. Alarming indeed.

This puts into context the otherwise vague statements made by ComicREX about her being unable to write:

“The author’s health is in a bad way, and she can no longer write. If she recovers, we may hear an explanation from her.”

The “if” previously looked relatively innocuous, but now it looks positively ominous.

She has both withdrawn from publishing her manga, and has also had to stop work on various extras for the DVD edition.

Whilst speculation raged as to the real facts underlying the case when we had merely the information that she had fallen ill, with this news apparently confirming the seriousness of her condition it looks as though an explanation implicating the ludicrous antics of otaku is far less plausible than it was previously; probably such an illness would have much more serious causes, though again we are left wondering about what precisely is going on.

Whatever the case, once again I am sure you will join me in wishing her well, and hoping for as speedy a return to health for her as possible.

Comment by Keirnoth
    11:27 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Here's hoping to the mangaka to get better. This is sobering news indeed.

It also pissed me the fuck off when I saw people arguing about the announcement being faked. It even managed to reach us otakus in the west.

Enough pissing on each other to prove each other wrong. Now's the time to wish the mangaka well.

Comment by TheAndySan
    12:57 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I completely agree.

Not to sound snoopy, but I wonder what's wrong with her?

17:53 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Last I heard there was news on 2ch stating she had died.

Can anyone confirm?

Comment by Johnson
    18:13 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sure we'll all hear about it soon enough if that were the case.

Not to jinx her or anything; I don't dislike Kannagi that much.

Comment by Quen
    18:15 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Just got back myself, so I'll post something if news of that nature is confirmed....not seeing anything yet.

Comment by DmonHiro
    16:07 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh man, that's real bad. I hope she gets better. Screw the manga (for now), just worry about your health.

19:21 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

How do I donated money?

20:00 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if the otaku's who violently protested Nagi having an ex would kill themselves over Kannagi being discontinued on a count of Takenashi dying. In a schadenfreude way, I would not mind such an outcome.

Comment by kenjiharima
    22:18 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm...probably this is some conspiracy...

Comment by Matteas
    02:19 13/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This looks bad. I wish for her recovery.

Comment by Toiski
    03:23 14/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

What's with the "if" anyway? In Japanese, al lot of the time it's indistinguishable from "when", as far as I know. "mada genki ni nattara" for exaple, could mean either, right? Of course it's possible to say it unambiguously in Japanese, but I imagine making it clear there was a chance the author wouldn't recover, there might have been a bigger uproar...

So what did it say in the original Japanese announcement?

Comment by Miroku74
    20:01 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

If she's *that* gravely ill, I pray Miss Takenashi gets better soon.

Whether or not she can continue the manga is second hand to that.

Comment by TheFluff
    15:05 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I had a lawl

better luck with your conspiracy theories next time I guess!

Comment by BranGor
    21:22 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

【08.12.12】『かんなぎ』休載につきまして

『かんなぎ』の休載につきまして読者のみなさまにご心配をおかけいたしております。
    武梨先生はREX12月号の原稿執筆後に突然急病で倒れられ、そのまま緊急入院となり休載のやむなきに至りました。その後手術も成功し、現在は順調に快方に向かっています。
    「ComicREX」1月号の発売以降、「武梨えり先生が誹謗中傷によって休載した」という報道が一部でなされましたが、これは事実ではありません。
    武梨先生は現在も入院中でありますが、執筆の再開に向けて意欲を示しておいでです。

読者のみなさまには、武梨先生のご快癒をお待ちいただけますようお願いいたします。
    株式会社一迅社
    「ComicREX」編集長
    杉野庸介

Seems like she went to the hospital and had a successful surgery.

Comment by Artefact
    22:03 12/12/2008 # ! Incalculable

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention!

Translated announcement here.

Comment by PassinGass
    21:30 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn, is Kannagi is going down the road of Wheel of Time? When Robert Jordan died, his son promised to finish book 12...

So who will the mangaka choose to continue the story based on her (deathbed) general outline?

That is, if she doesn't recover...

10:55 29/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if there will be a story about Kanagi otaku being killed for this.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    12:16 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hope she recovers... always sad to hear about talented people getting ill like that.

12:01 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This is really bad....

I can't think that fucking shitty otaku is not the one who's responsible anymore....
    That HAS to be them... I'm sure of it.. Since Eri-sensei is a girl and of course she can't take the pressure from otaku's useless bullshit about non virgin Nagi or something like that...

Everytime I read the article about Kannagi, I have to be calm as hard as I can.. But now, I can't take this anymore....

Comment by mamushi72sai
    12:50 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

women are why us men are stuck in a world of hell. if maybe they waited instead of doing "that" they would have found a nice guy who loves them for who thay are and not just their organs.

but women never accept that they made a mistake and get angry because of their conflicting instincts to find love and have sex and when they make the wrong choice and people call them on it they whine and try to make them look like the badguy.

MAYBE IF THEY LISTENED TO THEIR PARENTS THEY WOULD BE IN LOVE AND HAPPY!

Comment by kuromitsu
    19:00 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, what an idiot you are. Congratulations.

21:41 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank you, my idiot bud.......

Comment by Garland
    17:47 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

WAT!

17:11 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Stop blaming them for your problems you wuss. If you feel like you're stuck in a world of hell, then the common factor for all of those problems is most likely you.

21:41 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

So.. You think all of this incident (about so called non virgin Nagi, Otaku rage, and her illness) is just a mere coincidence? Just how naive are you?

You should feel the stress of mangaka. Do you think you can bear the stress of your own story and character being hated by your own fans because the MERE CALCULATION OF SOME IDIOT PEOPLE?

I feel sorry for her...

Comment by mamushi72sai
    12:44 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

my theories are

-She is faking it because she is upset that the otaku on 2chan don't like her manga

-A Japanese otaku found a deathnote and this is the start of his plan to kill all the whores in the world and pass judgement to make the world a better place without women who sleep around and go for the whorey men and are unconcerned with the men who want to find love.

A BETTER WORLD IS COMING BROTHERS! A WORLD WHERE WE WILL BE ABLE TO HAVE GIRLFRIENDS WHO WANT LOVE AND NOT JUST SEX!

Comment by kuromitsu
    19:02 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG WOMEN DON'T LIKE ME! THE FILTHY WHORES!!

BAAAAAWWW!

Comment by basilio
    12:52 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Huh... for some reason, I feel very disgusted... I wonder if it's by reading this inconsiderable comment or due to the fact that I am of the same species and sex as the author of this comment... not sure which one disgusts me more.

As for the author of Kannagi, I wish her well. It is most tragic when somebody, be it a talented artist or not, to be stricken with such a predicament. Best wishes.

Comment by mamushi72sai
    13:13 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

OK then defend your opinion. if you can. the fact is they did wrong and the world is effected. you are not correct, right or just, just by saying "eww this guy is waiting to have sex with someone he loves what a weirdo"

Comment by Garland
    17:50 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Manwhore.

Anyway, god damn it misinformed people ahoy.

A LOT of women break their hymen long before they have sex. Freakin' spreading your legs too wide when having gymnastics is enough to do the trick, or riding a horse.

Leave it to lonely and depraved shut-ins to believe in purity and that true love = first time... and shoop da woop.

Comment by exia
    16:11 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i thot you called man whores "Gigolo's" or something

Comment by basilio
    00:04 13/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha, yah, manwhore. But not just plain "whore".

Comment by basilio
    13:55 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, never heard a guy been called "whore" before. And it seems you are targeting the female portion of the population to vent your anger.

Nonetheless, you can try to back up your ideal all you want; my opinion of you as a person will not change. You don't have to listen to me, nor do I have to listen to you.

But arguing in such a post where the health (and possibly the life) of another person is of concern is most disrespectful. Thus, I shall cede.

Comment by basilio
    13:35 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I am not saying that waiting to have sex with somebody you love is wrong. What if the person you love changes his or her heart? You can't just ask them for your virginity back, especially if you're a girl. So what does it make the girl then, if she was in love, and the feeling dies away? It's easy for guys because you can't tell if a guy is a virgin or not, physically.

And you can't go around saying that all girls are sluts either. You can't go blame sexual frustration on the males' part on the females. As far as I am concerned, guys are far more sexually active/aware than girls. Most guys, unlike you, are more than willing to "stick it in," be there love or not.

Comment by mamushi72sai
    13:41 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Whore is not a feminine term and it is sexist to assume that it is.

Comment by Chairman Wow
    14:30 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

So... she's a whore because a fictional character she created possibly had sex with someone that character was presumably in love with at the time.

Who isn't a whore, by those standards?

Way to go wishing death on someone who's seriously ill.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    13:48 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Have fun living in your dream world.

17:14 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The dream world he's living in is a world of hell; he said so himself. It's his own damn fault, but I'm sure he'll never take responsibility for it and just continue to blame others.

11:53 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wonder what the affliction is. Seems odd for someone to just go from seemingly well, to from how the news is making it, on deaths doorstep.

Let's hope it's something manageable, like pneumonia.

Comment by kareal
    14:33 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

well, mangaka don't exactly have the healthiest living habits, especially since they rush their work the whole month/week.

Comment by Keigami
    11:39 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Even though I'm not a fan of Kannagi, it's always horribly sad to loose a talented and beloved mangaka.

Get well Takenashi-sensei!!!

Comment by 3020
    11:29 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

If she informs the otaku fans I'm sure they would travel all around the world to find a cure for her.

Comment by Haesslich
    11:22 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay, now THIS is ominous. Here's seeing how those idiots respond and if they threaten to pray for her death in order to 'make things right' or not.

Maybe we'll get some cheering news, like 'several so-called Kannagi "fans" found beaten to death' or something...

Comment by Lyn
    11:30 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope she has a speedy recovery, and hopefully now those insane Otakus will shut up. >:o

Comment by Kyang
    11:31 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Continuation of the manga is a distant concern compared to her health. I hope she recovers soon.

Comment by Jarmel
    11:38 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if they know what's causing it? It sounds like it could be nerve disorder or something brain related. When you can't move your body that is extremely serious.

Comment by Lain
    12:58 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Man, these are really sad news. I hope she gets well.

Comment by Shimu
    13:55 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

That's so sad, I really hope she feels better~

Comment by holicuser4u
    14:09 12/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

me prays to her healthy recover ;_;