Dattebayo Quits Naruto Fansubs

a6787f6c84a2b484a6219589d5568b50

Long time Naruto fansubbing group Dattebayo, whose torrent releases are downloaded hundreds of thousands of times each week, has announced that it will cease fansubbing Naruto come January.

In a detailed statement published on their website, the motive behind the drop is claimed to be to pre-empt pressures from the new online anime distribution ventures being launched shortly, and to save them the PR disaster of shutting down DB.

Naruto fans (at least those in the US; others are being left high and dry) may be heartened to hear that they will instead be given the chance to pay for their subs, and failing that to stream them for free, albeit with ads and a delayed release. Paid releases will be only minimally delayed over the Japanese TV broadcasts.

The episodes are to be distributed in various capacities by way of Crunchyroll, Joost and Hulu, starting in January. This also means that Shippuuden will now be officially released at the same time as the lagged English localised version.

The niggling details of resolution, downloads, DRM and similar seem not to be given much attention, but given the viewership and nature of the show such matters will likely be overlooked by most.

Additionally, the comments raise the exceedingly good point that this arrangement applies only to US users; something the US-centric anime media (and Dattebayo themselves) pass over.

As a result, it would seem the overall effect of DB’s withdrawal will be minimal, given that a successor will inevitably emerge to provide the subs to a worldwide audience.

This would appear to bode ill for fansubbing and non-American fans; what are the chances of US companies shutting down fansubs internationally whilst failing to provide a legal alternative to any but the US?

The good source.

It seems DB’s job as Internet marketing arm for Naruto is at an end.

Unfortunate for them that they failed to profit from their success (or so it would appear) – YouTube, Nico and Crunchyroll clearly demonstrate that blithely ignoring copyright until reaching a level where dealing with the major IP cartels directly is possible is the way forward, for those of a commercial bent at any rate.

Comment by Lump
    18:58 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I used to care about naruto. I stuck through about half the fillers then gave up. It sucks to see Dattebayo quit and drop it.

Btw... Crunchyroll sucks

Comment by notaname
    09:37 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't give a pair of foetid dingo's kidneys about naruto. I just hope dattebayo release more compilations of the Rube-Goldberg-esque eyecatches from Pythagoras Switch.

Comment by metatron
    13:47 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I stopped caring for Naruto after the fillers and the hordes and hordes of Narutards who keeps raeping the franchise.

12:28 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This is pretty T_T sad yo. I'm pretty sure DB is really quiting this time for reals.

Comment by kenjiharima
    22:36 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Fillers kill anime...not unless it's a good filler episode or just a breather

Comment by Asch
    05:22 24/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well unless another sub group takes over I guess I'll stop watching Naruto as an Anime and just stick with the manga.

Comment by Vissssss
    23:26 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Now really, who cares about that? I stopped watching Naruto as soon as I see them fanboys or Narutards start jumping around going this-jitsu and that-jitsu. And also the hordes of idiots who flamed at Dattebayo when ever the slowed down a bit on the releases, these people don't understand that they're getting free anime with subs after all.
    But seriously, I would prefer fansubs over crunchyroll or whatever those online anime streaming sites, the reason is because I rather pay for the DVDs and donate to the fansubs than let crunchyroll reap huge profits from their not-up-to-par video and subs quality.

Comment by AsakuraZero
    08:54 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

let DB rot they are a bunch of whiner they ban you from irc if you tell them hi (or so i heard) they dont want to do it cool, someone will take their place... with the time.

and steaming sucks the quality sucks and oyu have to pray to get a good sub and the quality sucks also you have to wait till someone or the company puts it to stream (as toast crust) and the quality sucks.

got the point?

if you are going to waste 125mb for a crappy stream (talking about highq stream dunno how big is crunchy roll) you better get a fansub for 70 or more mbs and delete the file. at the end its the same result duh... but moar quality.

gg dropped toradora and qq took the place, that happens everyday good anime (even some crappy anime like naruto) can get its replacement sooner or later.

and streaming quality sucks (i have been saying that a lot).

Comment by Takkun
    06:43 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Can anyone tell I'm an Otaku Anime fan yet? I'm not that hardcore so to speak of though... I won't buy ten issues of a mag just for mouse pads! -.- I think people are taking the anime, no scratch that, the internet world too lightly. People in this day an age have use the net for plenty of things that most would think impossible. It seems faith in fan-sub groups has disappeared.... Naruto has over 1 million fans outside of Japan. Lets do the math, how many people who love anime own a comp? Surely not all of them! With anime channels being produced on satellite tv, cable tv, and even tv on the net, it has made a significant jump from where it was ten years ago. Ten years ago, I would not have even been able to load this page in under 5 minutes. Getting back to the topic, who would be to thank for the sudden spike in fans over the years? Obviously the anime creators, the internet, the internet community, and oh ya; THE FAN-SUB GROUPS! Anime will always be alive as long as it is popular. You really think this kind of move from DB will shake the foundation of anime viewing as a whole? Lets see, there are over 40k anime's (from the top of my head) and more than 125 viewers for each alone. Now I'm not saying 125 people watch each anime, there just numbers... you get my point. People need to see this as a step forward instead of a threat. You have to take the good with the bad... I haven't been able to finish D-Gray.Man and now its being forced off fan-sub sites! Does that mean its not available at all? Why don't you tell me the answer!

06:49 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

just to point out there aren't many others subbing this due to the fact that DB do a fast job and if you want the newest naruto you go to them and don't look around as soon as DB stop others will try to take there 100,000s or downloaders for themselves
    ps
    that one uk anme station is gone no anime ever lasts here get cannd sooner or just after soon

Comment by ToastCrust
    07:19 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Aren't Crunchyroll streams available internationally anyways? As far as I'm aware, they do not block national IP's for them.

The only thing that might make these streams difficult to view for international audiences is the timeslots they decide to air the streams in (if any).

This is reminiscent to the Strike Witches streams. You can be anywhere to watch them in the world, it's just that the time it was shown during (2pm Pacific time to the subsequent midnight on Thursdays) was US centric. But if a person on the other side of the world wanted to make the effort to be awake in that time?

They can watch it.

I highly doubt this will be a different situation.

Comment by Coco the Bean
    08:47 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

They could put restrictions on Naruto only. I remember another streaming site had certain titles only available in US and Canada. (Can't remember the site ATM) But I doubt it's going to stop any international fans from getting their hands on subs.

Comment by Truf
    07:05 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I say good riddance to Dattebayo! While they do provide a nice quality fansub...

The rest of the time they act like egotistic jerkoffs! As if they are the only ones in the world that could ever sub the show.

I'll just find some other way to watch it... I'm sure others will jump at the chance.

15:23 19/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

their 100th "Press Release" sound like a YHBT to me

Comment by Vetus
    09:29 20/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ι wonder how many times I have heared Dattebayo announced that they will stop fansubbing Naruto. Even if they mean it that time...I DON'T GIVE A SH*T! There are plenty of fansub groups that can do the job.

Comment by tan4x13
    23:41 11/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmph! I blame those who uploads DB subs of naruto, as i have read the article on the DB site (before it closed) that the main root of all this trouble are those who uploads their subs in stream sites.... well I can't blame them, I mean they've asked nicely (about in every 0.1 secs of the very beggining of their subs) to stop uploading their subs, but now... all of us who complied by their rules are now suffering a faith that we didn't deserve, but it can't be helped, the problem became an epidemic for DB, so they have to resort to permanently stop their operation..... it's such a waste though, for me, they had the best naruto subs.

Comment by Smile
    03:13 01/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dattebayo did a terrific job subbing all these years.

It's a shame though that crunchyroll and joost isn't an option for me because I'm living in Europe.

I found Animebento to at least sub again in HD (the other quality out there is horrible), but still I miss the dattebayo quality :-(

Comment by Da_Nuke
    18:39 04/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And nothing is going to change. They're just going to upload their private releases to public torrent trackers like Inferno Demonoid or The Pirate Bay.

Honestly, trying to change things in the fansub scene is futile. People will fansub no matter what you do, and if a series is licensed, they'll just clandestinely slip it in a public anonymous tracker.

Comment by Samuel
    18:10 28/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

No mkv or avi files on my beloved HD....
    dam it's time set up raw

I don't mind to watch ads or something or pay small fee..

but I just want them on my HD with good quality on my 22 inch screen.

So getting the raw and ripping the subs if they don't give me choice.. because there will be day and you don't have internet >.>

Comment by Piroko
    06:11 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Reading their article, and if this is not a troll/joke and they're actually serious, then this is a good move towards the greater anime community.
    Though, I HATE crunchyroll, streaming anime is never good.

Although, I heard this here first, rather than going onto the DB site(I don't even watch their releases). I hope you post up some more fansub news too :)

Comment by Takkun
    06:27 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

crunchyroll only streams unlicensed anime... so how is it bad? I think its legit, seeing they are working with TV Tokyo and still up and running! If a major anime distro such as TV Tokyo is will to work with them, I think that requires some lesser guilt trip on the people who stream anime. :) And you can't find HD quality streaming on any other legit sight like crunchyroll.

Comment by Artefact
    07:12 23/11/2008 # ! Incandescent

According to various reports, Crunchyroll is going entirely legit so there will be no more unlicensed anime on it, only titles to which they have rights.

Comment by kenpachi
    14:00 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

perhaps you've been banned from DB thats why....

Comment by blats
    06:52 08/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, you can always use snag-it to capture the shitty stream and then go through it with v-dub, taking down the text and the time indexes of the frames and typing/pasting them into a text file and make an .srt out of it. Could also be good for people who want to translate it from english or get creative with the wording. Could use it with just about any raw though the timing may be off, depends on the raw itself.

09:24 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's just amazing how ignorant anime "fans" can be,

Comment by Tobias
    21:59 08/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Ahh well. All good things some to an end =[

Personally, I just skipped the fillers after a couple of arcs -- then everything got better =]

Anyhow, this is fine for me. My sister speaks fluent Japanese =]

Comment by kuromitsu
    19:42 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, right, pre-empting pressures. Why don't they just come out and say that they've lost motivation and/or are afraid of being sued? Besides, it's not like another group won't take up where they've left off. The paid/free streaming is a great idea but only if you live in the US. Sure, worldwide licenses are problematic and all but come on.

I couldn't care less about Naruto, but I hope this "US only" trend will stop in the near future. I like the idea of free, ad-supported streaming, but only if everyone can watch it, not only Americans.

Comment by unico
    19:47 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i think they did come right out and say they are tired of the series.

with the USA streaming
    it is not the fault of the company. they HAVE to follow regional rights.

what is licensed for say "USA, UK, AUS"
    can not be seen by Italy, or Germany, since they are likely to get their own licenses to air a show.

Comment by Takkun
    20:40 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

You make a good point there. I have seen anime rarely in languages other then English. This obviously makes me ignorant to the fact there is other subs out there. I would have to say that ppl will have to have faith in the fan-sub groups. I'm pretty sure someone will pick it up for none English speakers. This topic has seemed to be one big argument since most just deny that they have interest, when really, the mood was just ruined.

Comment by kuromitsu
    03:01 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not really about non-English subs - after all, English is the lingua franca of the western anime fandom. The problem is that Viz's Naruto stream (along with most other streaming anime), is only available for people in the US, which sort of undermines the purpose of the whole thing. Sure, American anime fans now have a legal way to watch Naruto online, but fans in say, Europe, don't and they still have to rely on fansubs. (Well, they don't "have to" but you know what I mean.) Which means that there's still a HUGE demand out there for Naruto fansubs.

As I said above, I understand that licenses are tricky and it would be very difficult to obtain worldwide streaming rights, but it still irritates me that so many people think that all that matter is something being available in the US.

Comment by Takkun
    06:09 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

And I just got owned! Ya I can see that, but as I say, I have huge hope for fan-sub groups out there. Dattebayo isn't the only group and I know hardcore fans won't let Naruto go unfinished. Yay for the anime community! I just hope that this whole damn legal bull crap becomes resolved and the world can be filled with anime lovers!

Comment by Shuu
    19:28 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I expect a YHBT post on their site soon enough. Doesn't matter to me anyway, since I haven't been following Naruto for some time now and probably won't start to do so again.

I am, however, a bit worried about fansubbing in general as of late. Good thing my Japanese is improving steadily.

19:26 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope they pick up something good now for a change.

Comment by Fonzer
    20:12 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Should i BELIEVE IT OR NOT.
    DB said many times that they will cancel sub naruto,but they didn't.

15:42 24/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They have stopped subbing it. And I'm sad to say that I'm a huge Naruto fan. The last two releases that they've done have been "hello kitty" fakesubs. And they have released another announcement stating that they will not be subbing Naruto Shippuuden again, ever. DB has sent warnings, and banned people's IP's hoping to prevent the abuse of airing their work on other sites. They did their work for the enjoyment of doing it, not to gain a profit from it.

Comment by Takkun
    20:43 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Read above, and same thing I have been saying, read the full article. Next, go to viz.com and read there news. Next, go to crunchyroll.com and read there news. Its all legal shit, as to compete with fan-sub groups in the same manner. You still get them for free if you speak English. Or if your a more hardcore fan, you can pay a small fee.

Comment by unico
    19:24 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

well, gotta love their attitude.

Comment by Roy
    19:13 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Last episode was cool however.
    I have not been watching it for a while before the Hidan and Kakuzu arc.

18:20 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Not the first time they said that they want to stop.

Anyway. I couldn't give three shits and more.

12:52 06/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why the fuck are you commenting on this piece if you dont give 3 shits you fkn sad cunt. why would you be reading it in the first place!? fkn stupid poof

Comment by Endz
    17:58 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Some other group will pick it up i bet.

Comment by Vallen Chaos Valiant
    17:46 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

To be totally honest?
    I would have cared a lot more if I was still watching Naruto... Just can't bring myself to start it again.

Comment by foeevaddr
    18:53 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

this sucks. how will i watch it subbed?

Comment by Takkun
    20:23 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Did anyone serious not read the article from dattebayo? You can still watch it subbed a week after it airs in Japan. Another option is to pay a small fee and watch it subbed same time is airs in Japan on crunchyroll..... Let's take a minute and actual read through, instead of jump to conclusions...

Comment by julius
    18:58 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

here just read this reply every time a new episode comes out:

"LAST TIME ON NATURO
    (recap on last episode)
    'I MUST BE STRONGER, HOW CAN I DEFEAT THIS NEW ENEMY?'
    (5 minutes of grunting and powering up)
    'IF ONLY...'
    (flash back for 20 minutes)
    'YES THAT IS HOW I CAN DEFEAT HIM'
    NEXT TIME ON NATURO:
    (2 minutes of grunting and more flashbacks)
    end credits"

There are your subs.

Comment by Dullahan8
    20:02 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Are you serious? Did you spell Naruto wrong on purpose? And just so you know, you don't usually get flashbacks when watching an episode preview.

Comment by Chris
    14:06 24/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds more like DBZ. Not that Naruto is any better.

This site sucks, but your post can be applied to a plethera of animes.

Comment by Fumika
    18:56 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Um.. this is like the 5th or 6th time they've said they were going to quit.

This is hardly news, expect a 2 week hiatus and they'll be back again. Not that I really care for Naruto.

Comment by Takkun
    20:27 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Its true that they have said that, but that goes with the ill respect of some fans. If you just read then you will see the threats from licensees, and the corner they were put in by fans who cant corroborate. Who wants to watch a shitty, blurry, unrecognizable anime on youtube or veoh anyway? And to the people to actually read, you will know what I'm saying.

Comment by Treyn
    19:10 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I dunno know if Dattebayo has a damaged brain or something. They want it, as seems, they've needed sympathy each time they do this crazy statement. They think of themselves mighty since they are a pioneering Naruto Fansubber. They're such a loser.

Comment by Takkun
    20:35 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Question, have you watched Naruto through Dattebayo? If so, ask yourself, would a loser really take time out for his fans when they could just stop anyway? They didn't profit from it, but they still continued on it. The fillers pretty much f-ed the whole thing up, but since the new season, things have been intense. Liking Dattebayo is a 50/50 in most cases. They didn't put up with shit, and had every reason to only make there lives easier by dropping a long time ago. I just don't see how ppl can see things so one sided. If you read around and find the answers, everything will make sense. Besides, its a group of people working on fan-subbing. Ideals, likes, dislikes, and personalities clash. There is no point in whining when you have no legitimate argument, like mine. I love to see different opinions though, just make is credible.