Macross F Movie Just A Remake?

02eb2b4dba8aecc13cb11b92e8baada8

The excitement surrounding the announcement of a Macross F film may have been misplaced, as an interview with esteemed director and Macross creator 河森正治 / Shouji Kawamori, included in Macross F 2059:Memories, has him making statements which basically scotch the notion of there being much original content or story development from the anime.

He has this to say:

As it won’t be by any means a completely new work, it won’t change things as with the previous series and its movie, but it will follow the original story, and make various improvements. Various subtle changes will also be made to the setting and story…

He then goes on to say that the time limitations imposed by the movie format also mean character development will have to be adjusted (or rather, left out) for some characters.

However, he does leave the assurance that there will be “lots” of elements placed into the movie that didn’t make it into the anime, although we might wonder about this given his preceding comments.

Still, a final verdict will likely have to wait until the film is released, though such statements certainly leave little for fans hoping for a continuation or expansion to become excited over.

This via Half Moon Diary.

Comment by ipood
    17:41 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I already was expecting this series to be altered like the Macross: Do You Remember Love movie, compared to the series the movie should be more of a summary with elements altered to make it better. Sure the character development starts lacking but the animation and sound quality should skyrocket. I'm thinking of it like just an extra for the fans and I'm still looking forward to it very much.

Comment by Kurogane
    17:39 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, looks like my worse fears are true. It's really a Macross F: DYRL movie.

Fitting too, I guess, since the whole series was a cleverly disguised homage to the original Macross.

Comment by metatron
    21:09 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Kawamori is known for his "dramatization retelling" like Macross: DYRL but I'll still look forward to it

Comment by ghostlightning
    21:57 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

If they just go ahead with a condensed re-telling like Macross Plus (albeit with an altered end) it will be a shame.

Here lies an opportunity to make strides in developing Ranka's character.

Nonetheless, I won't have difficulty finding reasons to enjoy the upcoming movie - or anything Macross. I remember love.

Comment by Kiv
    06:09 17/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll take a remake over the TV series since the ending of the TV series sucked real bad. I was so disappointed in the mediocre storyline climax, who gives a damn about some crazed woman taking over the universe, geeze, THAT ain't what Macross is about alright.

Comment by Saouri
    00:10 04/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Kawamori likes to use "movies" to add some facts to the main story, as he did in Macross Ai, Oboete Imasuka.
    A new way to understand the same story...

Comment by maru
    22:49 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Disappointed ;_;

Comment by mark
    16:24 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

When ever i watch these types of movies i usally just skip around to the good/new parts. Other then that I hope that it comes out as an afterstory rather then extra storyline to the story.

Comment by Fumika
    13:52 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow.. what the hell......

I was honestly expecting the movie to be an epilogue to the series. I didn't expect to be permanently trolled on whether Alto goes with Sheryl or Ranka.

Comment by linkinstreet
    12:53 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinda like the Eva Remake?

Comment by Artefact

Perhaps more of a summary style production? It isn't really clear, is it?

Comment by julius
    12:43 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

oh my god. nice pic.

Comment by Quen
    13:05 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

More Ranka ero-moe in the doujin: http://www.fakku.net/viewmanga.php?view=2669

Comment by pus2meong
    12:40 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Boooooooo, it suck....!

Comment by uhsieh
    13:14 03/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Not that surprising that it would be a remake, since DYRL, Macross Plus, and Aquarion "movies" have been remakes. As in a dramatized retelling of the story, kinda like a movie made inside the Macross universe telling the story. Kawamori is known to do this.

Comment by Artefact

That's a nice way of putting it. "Dramatised retelling", I'm sure that will be fine then.