Yodobashi Snubs Xbox with Red Ring of Death Box Display

Yodobashi Snubs Xbox with Red Ring of Death Box Display

Major electronics retailer Yodobashi Camera’s huge flagship Akiba store has been displaying a broken Xbox 360 for some time, and it seems they are not even minded to cover up the glowing Red Ring of Death, a problem which has been the bane of both Xbox owners and Microsoft PR for some time now.

Yodobashi Snubs Xbox with Red Ring of Death Box Display

Yodobashi Snubs Xbox with Red Ring of Death Box Display

The signboard in front of the display is a nice touch.

Whether we chalk this up to malice or apathy, it is hardly a ringing endorsement of the console which Microsoft desperately hopes is back in the running in Japan, which may well be the case.

This was spotted by a sharp eyed 2channer on the 18th; it’s not clear whether they have yet bothered to fix it or at least cover up the wounded box, or how long the console languished prior to being snapped.

Yodobashi Akiba

Comment by Reb
    09:15 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

My 360 red-ringed on me about three months ago, sent in a replacement and was good to go. Granted the whole "BRICK'D" thing is a major pain in the ass (I'd prefer a home remedy), but at least their customer support's good about it. Even threw in a 30-day free gold membership. Was sweet.

Comment by ToastCrust
    10:19 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

My Elite has been fine for almost a year now.

Comment by Kai
    09:08 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Bought my xbox in 07 died a year later, my replacement one is fine so far.

Comment by plmko
    18:57 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Still not gonna get an Xbox till Microsoft stops F'ing around and release a Mechwarrior game.

Comment by Ramen Sama
    02:59 22/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, they got that xbox nearly enclosed, so it's obviously hotter than hell. Mines in perfect health still.

Comment by Mitchell
    09:28 15/10/2016 # ! Neutral (0)

Got mine a week into launch and about a week in RROD. Sent it off (for free ty ms) got a "Refurbished" one.....RROD 3 months later...had to pay for that one myself. I love consoles and hate them at the same time.

Comment by Edsamac
    15:02 22/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

My Xbox just bricked bout a week ago... sent it in yesterday and hoping that I get a 10day return because some of my friends has had to wait almost 8 weeks for it to come back... funny thing is his was only 6 months old and mine was pushing 2 and a half years.

Comment by Tony D
    08:38 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

That's ridiculous, considering every time I visited Yodobashi the 360 always had people playing it. It was far more popular demo machine than the PS3 was... (maybe because the PS3's demo menu is absolutely horrid and impossible to navigate, I guess?)

Comment by linkinstreet
    08:00 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Meh... This is why I wants a Wii rather than an Xbox360 or a PS3. At least I can play majority of the Xbox360 and PS3 games on the PC sooner or later. GTA IV's screenshot for the PC looks much nicer with farther depth of field.

Comment by Panther
    00:15 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh the LULZ.

Comment by Lafitte
    23:33 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I've had a 360 for two years now and I haven't had a problem, maybe I'm just lucky.

Comment by Sakagami
    01:31 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

had mine for a year too, still no issues

Comment by flaskis
    01:49 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Same, here. No problems for a year. Plus it feels good to know that I can send my xbox by UPS if it breaks down as part of the Microsoft support.

Comment by Benpc91
    03:26 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Man, I'm still worried about my 360, since I don't think I could ship it in if it does get a Red Ring.

Comment by raikentb
    04:41 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Any of the Jasper models RROD yet?

Comment by vikitehwaffu
    04:54 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

There have been no proven sightings of the jasper xbox models anyway.

Comment by Katzbalger
    03:35 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I went out and bought one of those Elite packs. It was faulty at purchase (Console failed to read several discs), so I waited several weeks for the replacement. That was faulty at purchase too (Red Ring of Death). I'm starting to think the console is just one massive joke now.

09:05 25/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, I don't believe that in the slightest. Why would you go through the replacement/repair process when you just bought it? Dumbass.