Cross Days – School/Summer Days Sequel Due

61581e14

Details of the latest title in Overflow’s at times overly ambitious interactive ero-anime/eroge School Days series have emerged; the sequel is titled “Cross Days”, and is due in January.

There look to be some interesting developments, so if Overflow manage to get things right this time, they may be onto a winner. There are, however, some slightly ominous signs as well…

dc30f53b

The game’s story is said to follow in the same setting as the previous School and Summer Days, which the developers stress is a difficult undertaking where multi-linear branching storylines are involved. The game also takes place contemporaneously with prior titles, so further difficulties of continuity arise, especially if we consider the “bad end” severity the series is notorious for.

The protagonist is said to be reworked, and will be much more capable than previously, with the result that some new story directions become possible, and the narrative is apparently more morally ambiguous, without a strong antagonist or otherwise.

It looks as though Cross Days is to be a much more nuanced (or perhaps simply confused or ambiguous) title than previous ones.

One element remains a constant – the tasteless and jarring yandere bad ends (I presume these now have far too much of a following to get rid of) will still be present, so expect some ludicrous murder-suicides to appear out of nowhere from time to time.

On the technological front, the (partial) introduction of 3D animation is promised. It’s far from clear what this will entail (presumably pre-rendered CG), and whether Overflow are up to the task.

In a series where some titles remained barely playable even after gigabytes of patches and countless months, even years, of waiting, I think we can be forgiven for having misgivings about what would otherwise be a very welcome and innovative title (at least, the original School Days was innovative), in the pathetically stagnant genre of visual novels.

Hopefully, they have learnt from past mistakes and can get the series firmly on track for even greater successes, although I would not care to wager on the matter.

The good source is the December issue of Tech Gian.

Comment by FeralKevyn
    15:37 29/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope there will be another 'Nice Boat' *.*

Comment by basilio
    12:12 18/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Absolutely do not want. Well, idk, it's more directed at the school days franchise... haha friends of mine have tried to convince me to watch school days, but after hearing about what a bastard makoto is, and how he thinks with his penis rather than his brain (which I am sure he is lacking one), I decided to pass.

Comment by FlameStrike
    03:47 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait is this going to take place after some ending of School Days, or is this going to be like an alternate reality thing like Summer Days?

I'm glad to hear they are "reworking" the protagonist. But it seems like they'll still keep the guro stuff.

15:23 09/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

of all the endings... they had to pick the bloody ones?

Comment by Kotonoha
    01:29 18/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@_@Makoto-kun! *starts chainsaw* hahahahaHAHAHAHA!

Comment by John
    10:39 21/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Another anime
    please god

Comment by Yuun
    21:05 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well... Nice Boat have me traumatise for quite sometime before I could recover. Summer days is a joke, now Cross Days eh? I don't know what to expect but I just hope that there's no @#$*%&$ Makoto like character this season. I have enough of pathetic heroes.

Comment by ToastCrust
    06:10 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I had only been able to play Summer Days, with a number of small annoyances, before. After a ridiculous several gigabytes of patches too....

Eventually, it just stopped working all together, hahaha. xD

But what I did play, I did enjoy. I didn't get very far though, but Setsuna was pretty <3, even if I never got to any sort of scene with her, really. Whereas, the scenes for Kotonoha and raping her sister were not only easy, but almost difficult to avoid, hahaha.

I'll reserve judgement until we know if there are any incredibly heinous bugs in the release, I suppose, and if it does, if they are able to fix them at all. It's pretty ridiculous how bad some of 0verflow's mistakes are, on the back end of things.

Comment by Kageryu
    05:14 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a huge fan of the School Days franchise, and I fell in love with Kotonoha, so excuse me when I say...

KOTONOHA KITA━━━━(゜∀゜)━━━━ !!!!!

Comment by R3er
    23:45 20/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Excuse me when I call you a weaboo.

Comment by Lump
    07:50 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I cant stand school days >_< the only reason I even skimmed it was because I knew the ending would be bad. Time for another train wreck....

Comment by TFish
    14:25 13/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Train wreck...

You sir must have looked two years into the future.

Comment by makkun
    18:58 13/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The guy just did a "hilarious in hindsight" speech.

Comment by zonic505
    10:11 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Only been watching the anime (on ep. 5. Just from the 1st 1:30, I can tell I like where it's going). I wonder if this will also be adapted into an anime.

Comment by Hwav
    11:25 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i expect another "nice boat" =3

Comment by setsunafseiei
    15:16 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

so that four eye guy is the protaganist

Comment by battleknight45
    14:52 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

is this going to be an anime or game?

Comment by Evi1d33d
    14:26 20/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Visit http://www.sekaiproject.net/ for the on going translation of the School Day game.