According to the results of a recent survey, 2ch is the least healthy social site on the (Japanese) Internet. The most healthy turned out to be none other than Mixi, a site very much in the vein of MySpace or Facebook; mobile SNSモバゲー / Mobage also placed highly.
53% of respondents said Mixi was healthy, whilst 33% said the same of Mobage. A mere 15% thought 2channel to be in any way “healthy”.
However, in a separate question 58% said they had not used any of them, with 28% having Mixi experience, 25% having 2ch trauma, and a tiny 6% had experience of Mobage.
The survey was conducted online, covering a modest sample of 400 men and women, in their twenties, thirties and forties.
By way of a Parthian shot, the poster of the thread on 2ch left us with these prior threads (now defunct):
- “I made a hundred friends” – Used by a third of highschoolers, and even being used to meet and murder people, Mobage enjoys great popularity
- Water board worker arrested for raeping college student met on Mobage
- Seven years for raeping lady met over Mixi
- Shock over number of illegal drug and prostitution communities on Mixi
- Pallid overweight glasses wearing school dropout made routine 2ch murder threats
- “I killed dozens to relieve the stress” – Sony employee unrepentant over animal cruelty arrest after posting ferret torture videos to 2ch
2channers are predictably scathing about the results, noting that it may literally have been an effort to boost the stock of certain companies, and that the results of such surveys are easily manipulatable.
Some say with all the dodgy dealings on Mixi and the like, the anonymity of 2ch is by far the safer option.