Girl Charged Over Fatal Blog Comment

3d4692b2997951aa4ac6def72260f521

We heard previously of the schoolgirl who killed herself based on a comment, “Die!”, left on her blog. Now it appears the girl (then 15) responsible for the comment, in fact her former classmate, is facing prosecution for insulting the girl and instigating a suicide.

The details of the previous case have already been laid out, and it seems that the parents there were unable to accept that the girl bore responsibility for taking her own life, and so sought legal recourse.

It seems the girl who made the comments, which were along the lines of “Die!” (extremely common on 2ch and similar) and “If you die I’ll be at your funeral”, was unwise enough to admit to the comments, and the vengeful parents have undertaken legal action, charging that the girl instigated the suicide and defamed/insulted their daughter.

Police say “Proving the veracity of the charges will be difficult”, so it seems she may have a good chance of being acquitted (it should be stressed police themselves are not instigating the prosecution).

Via Asahi.

Comment by Da_Nuke
    02:33 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's like getting sued over posting "BECOME AN HERO!" on a blog. Internet etiquette is fucking rude, yes, get used to that.

Comment by Ashsaver
    10:20 21/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems like the the parents want someone to blame to me.

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    13:12 10/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why didn't she go "Nevada-Tan" on her ass?

21:31 25/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She clearly had a death note

12:56 25/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That comment make sense "Blame Emo Girl and The Parent"
    Duh life not easy huh

04:13 18/05/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog. Is it very difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks
    toms outlet http://www.toms-outletstore.com

13:20 11/11/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading? I'm trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Christian Louboutin outlet http://www.christianlouboutinshoescheap.net

Comment by tyciol
    07:21 11/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is this all it really takes? I've had plenty of people tell me to die, I wonder if I sent their dox to the police and became an hero if they would go to jail.

11:03 07/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol,the parents failed to aid their daughter and must now blame an innocent classmate (assuming she didn't cause any harm the girl before this)... sad when parents can't take responsibility for their children.... even when they are dead -.-

14:23 18/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if your going to blame some one then blame stupid emo girl and useless parents who cant look after their retarded child

08:38 05/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't go so far as to call the girl retarded, but emo pretty much nails it on the head.

10:54 23/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People tell each other to die all the time (especially online). I don't see how you could press charges against someone for making a suggestion, even if it's one like this. It's not like the girl actually tried to kill her.

Comment by Crys
    22:15 13/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The Japanese court system works differently than the American Court System, so I couldn't say for sure why this charge was brought up, but for the MySpace case, the case is being brought to trial because they could establish motive for trying to make the girl kill herself in that several of the messages alluded to the fact that the woman actually said she was trying to make her hurt herself (mens rea established) and then once the girl killed herself, although the woman DIDN'T actually commit the murder, her motive was tied in to the actual outcome of a case. If she's convicted of ANY type of murder charge, this will open the biggest can or worms in legal history.

Comment by TheAndySan
    07:17 13/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, that's crazy-nuts!

TheAndySan

Comment by XSportSeeker
    07:01 13/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hard case.

I think it goes something like this: It's obvious the girl didn't commit suicide only because of that comment... unless the other girls was some sort of alien-magician or something like that.

But people need to learn that the things you say on the Internet reach others too. So I'd have to say that yes, she's also partly responsible, even though if she was just the "trigger" of a long stream of reasons the girl had to commit suicide. Probably bullying.

I don't know the case, so I can't judge, but I bet the parents also hold some responsibility in this, and probably are more guilty than the girl who left that comment.

So, I'm not shure about the fairness of this.
    The truth is: No one commits suicide over a blog comment ONLY.

08:37 05/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, she wasn't responsible in the slightest. The fact is that the ONLY person to blame for a suicide is the dead person in question.

Comment by Bo
    06:45 13/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

A few months ago in the United States, there was a woman who set up a fake MySpace account to send hurtful messages to a 15-year-old girl who the woman's daughter had a falling out with. That 15-year-old girl eventually hanged herself and the woman was indicted and is set to go to trial soon. I think people shouldn't take what's said on the internet too seriously. But then again, that girl had some developmental and mental disorders, so I can understand that it might be difficult for her to do so. I hope the girl in Japan in this story gets indicted.

06:23 27/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

MEGAN HAD IT COMING.

Comment by Crys
    04:35 15/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Make yourself taller

Comment by CS
    18:53 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Careful now, Chys. You just might end up in an article such as the one above.

*COUGH*

Comment by Wisarut
    23:20 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Such a Nefarious motivation to instigate the suicide, it really AGAINST the criminal codes ... for the case of killign with intention -> even though indirectly committed.

Comment by TsundereWorks
    10:42 20/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"It is not clear if the classmate actually attended the dead girl’s funeral or not."

Dark humor, at it's best.

07:54 08/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She should've left the comments as Anonymous via a web proxy which doesn't include a HTTP_fORWARDED_FOR header...