ToraDora Ultimate Tsundere Anime?

cap-00031-2

Tsundere knee socks anime とらドラ! / ToraDora! may have had a lacklustre start with respect to ratings, getting only 1.5%, but critics found little to fault it on, and as we saw, many of you are keen to keep watching (98% of you in fact).

The second episode looks set to ensure many continue viewing, as it cements the title’s credentials as an anime of the first rate.

With this in mind I think I can go so far as to add my own vote of confidence in the title; the second episode really picked up the pace and engaged me, unexpected considering I’m not even a fan of the genre.

cap-00032-2
cap-00033-2

The full opening is possibly the best of the season, combining stylish visuals with some intereting electronic music. Nice to see the usual tired dance routines eschewed as well.

cap-00034-2
cap-00035-2
cap-00036-2
cap-00037-1
cap-00038-2
cap-00039-2
cap-00040-2
cap-00041-2
cap-00042-2
cap-00043-2
cap-00044-2

Seiyuu work in this episode really starts to stand out.

cap-00045-2
cap-00046-2
cap-00047-2
cap-00048-2
cap-00049-2
cap-00050-2
cap-00051-2
cap-00052-2
cap-00053-2
cap-00054-2

No service of any kind; presumably there will at some point be an onsen episode?

cap-00055-2
cap-00056-2
cap-00057-2
cap-00058-2

There’s not much I can find to fault the anime on (apart from that parrot thing); I might suggest even those not particularly fond of tsundere give it a try, as they may be pleasantly surprised. Others will want to watch the next episode at their earliest convenience.

cap-00059-2

Comment by Artefact

Fans who've read the novels seem to be very concerned that they've used up a whole novel in only two episodes...

Personally, the pace seemed fine, but it will do no good if they run out of material.

Comment by Bastille
    15:46 10/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

An entire novel in two episodes? Wow. Those better be some short light novels, or else they have to be trimming places. ZnT averages 6 episodes per novel, and SnS averages about the same.

Comment by Yuun
    16:47 10/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I got plenty of issues with that Ugly weird parrot... seriously... THat is a Mutated parrot in my opinion~!

Comment by Tyciol
    10:18 29/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This definitely looks like something worthwhile to observe. Very cute characters. I like when they do opening sequences with the pictures and the characters' names, because I forget names easily and hate to go consult a wiki every time I am trying to place a name to a memory.

Comment by Quen
    16:10 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Really enjoyed this ep, coming into the season so far as one of my favorites for sure.

Taiga sure does push my buttons in the proper way ^^

Comment by Kadian1364
    07:31 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

>>> There’s not much I can find to fault the anime on (apart from that parrot thing)

What's wrong with the parrot? I'm certain 78.2% of all animes would be more entertaining with a retarded animal.

Comment by kuma_lg
    22:09 09/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

True that my friend. :D

Comment by ynfiltra
    07:15 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

this looks promising enough...

ill wait for the whole series to finish, then ill watch it (MARATHON MODE!!!) :p

Comment by Artefact

I actually prefer to wait for all the DVDs, but that's just not compatible with the demands of Sankaku Complex...

Comment by Tyrenol
    09:44 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, that's because it's "Sankaku Complex," Artefact.

Let's go by the numbers: Assume that a title needs to sell well over 10,000 DVDs in order to brag about popularity. 4.0% is what the most popular "late night animu" can get; a title like Code Geass or CLANNAD.

Divide 10,000 by 4%, and you have 250,000; that 240,000 viewers with no-to-negative views on a show. And remember that Japan is home to roughly 150 million people.

1.5% ratings of viewership is still a large enough number if you want a party to help beat someone down. And it's still a lot more complicated than this. But it's still not a large enough number when you compare the show with another show that caters to the non-otaku-tachi more than the pro-otaku-tachi.

And also; you have to pardom me for being in that 2% voting box. ToraDora is NOT Pantsu Witches where a guy gets treated like a human being and not a punching bag for people to laugh at.

Comment by Artefact

I think that is just a feature of tsundere as a genre; personally I do not like it. The female characters behave unbelievably irrationally, and the male characters are spineless whelps.

I recall making an effort to read the Tsukaima light novel, but I could not sympathise at all with the protagonist in his allowing himself to be victimised by Louise... I recall thinking how the tables would have been turned had I been in his shoes - Louise would've been the one on the leash, but I digress.

I wonder what it is about these absolutely worthless tsundere male protagonists which appeals so strongly? Is it just the Japanese men who can sympathise with them (why?), or does the international audience also like them?

Still, I think ToraDora is a quality product, even if the genre is obnoxious at times.

Comment by Tyrenol
    00:35 10/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

>>>I recall thinking how the tables would have been turned had I been in his shoes - Louise would’ve been the one on the leash, but I digress.

What really should happen is that "equal knocks" should be given between men and women. If women are going to smack women around then the men should smack women around.

All this talk about "gender equality." Feamle basketball teams (Shut Up, Don Imus), congresswomen, a German prime minister, and (almost) a (vice) presidential nominee. Female soldiers and terrorist groups. Female rock bands!

Ask any of them and they'll tell you that they wouldn't smack up a guy who doesn't deserve it.

You'd think we expect the same... Oh never mind.

A guy defending himself and physically retaliating against a tsundere, in a tsundere-themed franchise, probably would never be popular. Not as long as the otaku run and support the industry. -_-;

Comment by Karmappi
    16:52 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh, thinking how things would be different had the protagonist actually had any common sense, or wasn't totally ignorant of everything is pretty pointless, no matter what the genre is..

I myself find the Tsundere type appealing (both 2D and 3D), like some people find shy, outgoing or whatever types attracting. While the genre often takes it to a higher degree I'd be willing to put up with (Yelling, light punching and other such acts only make the times she's acting cute even cuter, but I don't think I'd stick around a girl who keeps kneekicking me in the groin for no apparent reason), it's acceptable since stuff like that is often exaggarated to make it more interesting.
    That also exlpains why the cast acts so irrationally; it usually is what the humour of the genre is based on. If Saito from Zero no Tsukaima didn't lust after every female with breasts or no breasts alike, and Louise didn't jump to conclusions whenever she saw him with another female, nothing much would happen that would qualify it as tsundere.

Or maybe the viewers secretly wish to be in an SM relationship with a dominant woman. lol I dunno.

Comment by Quen
    13:14 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

When did any guy in Strike Witches get treated like that? There was so few male characters in the show that you could count them on one hand.

Comment by Bastille
    11:40 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

When it comes to tsundere, it is going to take quite a lot of work for something to replace what I view as the ultimate tsundere which would be Shana.

Putting that aside though, ToraDora is certainly quite nice. Nice to see this season has so much to offer me.

Comment by H_R
    15:26 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice OP, thought my vote of best OP of the season still falls at Kannagi...

Comment by maru
    18:12 09/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

seconded ^^