Man Busted for Deleting Friend’s Top Level Character

Man Busted for Deleting Friend’s Top Level Character

A man, who deleted his friend’s three and a half year old max level MMORPG character, is being prosecuted for cyber-crimes.

The man (21) was found to have filched his friend’s (20) character with the intent of using it himself, but then deleted it. They were apparently “friends” both in RL and on the server.

He seems to have obtained access to the account simply by using the username and password, though how he obtained these is not clear.

The man whose character was deleted had laboured for three and a half years levelling the character, and was on the verge of maxing it out, so it is unsurprising that when he learnt his pride and joy had been mysteriously deleted he demanded the prefectural police cyber-crimes department search for the culprit.

Perhaps surprisingly, the police complied and soon action was being taken against the perpetrator, though he was prosecuted for unauthorised access rather than criminal damage or theft.

The culprit apparently did it out of revenge for some trivial slight, admitting “I wanted his character”.

The game in question is not specified, though whichever it might be, such a high level character is likely expensive and hard to replace, so perhaps it is not so hard to see the extent of his loss.

Via Itainews.

They would probably have done better to settle their differences with some PK, as mixing online and offline can be dangerous.

01:09 28/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

he should've played a game where you can't hack it so easily, say; the game of RL?

Comment by SaruDa
    03:16 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, I could swear this was a person that I met on an MMO, except it couldn't be possible since that MMO wasn't 3.5 years old. Same exact story, down to the method of obtaining the username and password.

Who-rah for useless comments!

Comment by Erranty
    19:41 10/02/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Did he not realize he could create a support ticket and get his character back as long as he remembered its name?

13:41 26/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Tiger from Maplestory?

Comment by retsnom
    22:08 14/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

That's like if someone broke into your house and broke something you worked hard and spent a lot of money on out of some petty reason, the dude has every right to be pissed. I mean, what kind of "friend" does that?

Comment by Ennah
    08:10 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The link to Itainews shows a screen shot Maple Story so I’m guessing the article is referring to that game. I myself have played Maple Story and it is indeed very, very hard and time-consuming to level at higher levels so I can understand how "tragic" it must have been for the guy.

However, the game requires a username, pw, and a pin along with the person's full birthday in order to delete a character. I’m guessing the guy probably gave all his info to his friend. If that's true, then I have to say the guy is partly at fault for giving his info away.

22:32 15/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's RO, Ragnarok Online...who the fuck would spent 3 years on RO??

09:04 21/10/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't require a birthday to delete a character. At least not now.

Comment by Zeneva
    07:06 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Regardless of whether it is an MMORPG character level, destroying three and a half years of effort would make most people snap.

09:06 21/10/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

3 1/2 years doesn't really tell how much time was spent on the game.

Comment by GearFourth
    05:34 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It was like, a picture of the MMORPG "MapleStory" on that site. Man, it is a pain to level up in that game. Another thing is that you should not trust anybody there, considering it's filled with pre-puberty teenagers.

Oh yeah, and on another note. There's no..no real PvP there. So if you want to get back at somebody, hackin' is your way t' go.

Comment by Artefact

The source Itai used didn't specify the game (how very mass media of them) and nobody in the thread or comments seemed to know which, so I left it out. No idea if it was Maple Story or not...

03:57 07/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The pic is of the game Ragnarok Online, which I know because I play it.

Who the fuck spends three years leveling a character?

...Even if I've been playing it for four.

Comment by Jarmel
    05:12 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I would have snapped and been ready to murder the guy without hesitation.

Comment by K9T
    12:20 24/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If the MMO in question was L2, then I would say such an action would be justifiable homicide.

22:33 15/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's RO, Ragnarok Online...who the fuck would spent 3 years on RO???

01:40 26/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol. i spent no more than a year on RO and my character never got past level 25.... MMORPG's are just not my thing. FPS games, however... =)

Comment by lord x
    09:18 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

yay for lame mmos where you can't even talk to gms to restore accidently deleted characters

Comment by Yuun
    09:43 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Perhaps this is God's way of telling that 21 yr old guy to stop MMORPGing and spend the time doing some other much beneficial things. Not that I never experience such thing but if you think this way, it would have been better for psychology.

Comment by Devilz
    08:35 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The picture used in the source is Ragnarok Online, not Maple Story

Comment by Artefact

This will sound strange, but I believe they changed the picture for some reason...

Comment by Uena