Kyou no Go no Ni OVA vs TV: Missing Pantsu

5no2_2ji_taiketsu3

Newly airing school slice anime 今日の5の2 / Kyou no Go no Ni has recently attracted attention for the differences between OVA and TV editions, with some notable changes in character design evident, and some even more notably absent pantsu shots, as is readily evident from the comparison shots below.

Firstly, some shots of TV episode one in case you are not yet familiar with the title:

5no2_1_1ji_aihara
5no2_1ji_aihara-ryo-ta
5no2_1ji_hanuke
5no2_1ji_ryo-ta
5no2_2_yokoku
5no2_2ji_taiketsu2
5no2_2ji_taiketsu3
5no2_4ji_asobare
5no2_4ji_shuraba
5no2_op

Next, the matter of the missing pantsu (OVA is on the left, TV on the right):

5no2_ova-tv_omake

From these caps you can also easily see that there have been some marked changes in character design:

5no2_ova-tv_hikaku01
5no2_ova-tv_hikaku02
5no2_ova-tv_hikaku03

The good source.

Finally, if the manga is added to the mix:

1223294533740
20071106205602
vip946633

It may be the fact that the characters are elementary schoolers which upsets their pantsu exposure possibilities, in the slot in question at least.

This is probably rather subjective, but whilst the TV version has a nicely original look to it, even if it does look rather yukkuri, the OVA version still seems more stylish. By all means, make up your own mind and share your verdict below.

Poll unavailable.

Comment by Fronzel
    16:39 12/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Beyond deleting pantsu, the TV series has terrible pacing, which ruins all the humor. They try to stretch the brief manga stories too much.

The OVA's not so hot either. Coharu Sakuraba's rather verbal comedy style doesn't animate well.

Comment by T-Kraze
    02:12 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

dissapointed with TV series...
    chara design too suck....

Comment by Dullahan8
    17:17 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

You should let us vote OVA, TV, or MANGA

Comment by Toshiaki
    13:25 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

There are plenty of panty shows, I don't need them in EVERYTHING I watch. So for me, I prefer the TV since the character designs in the OVA look rather generic to me. I'm basing my decision solely on what I see here since I've not watched the OVA or TV version.

Someone mentioned that they didn't like how the TV characters look like they might be rubbery and break model, but I think that's what I like about them.

Though, honestly, I don't think either are quite as good as the manga.

Comment by Freeter
    09:33 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Xebec, Xebec, Xebec...why did you even bother.

Just make some Kanokon hentai and be done with it.

Comment by Chink
    12:17 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

In my opinion the OVA is better, I was expecting much of the TV series but ep 1 just hit me off as a disappointment since it is just recycling part of the ova.
    TV series drawing is a turn off to me as i think it is too childish and it did not give me the laugh as i was expecting that the ova gave me. But we'll see since that is just the 1st episode, 12 more to go.

Comment by retsnom
    20:25 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Koharu Sakuraba's works are cursed. Both of his original adaptations were great, AKA Minami-ke season 1 and Kyou no Go no Ni OVA, but the follow-ups really didn't do justice.

The OVAs, while they weren't GREAT, still managed to make me lol at moments and at least kept my attention. Like Fronzel said, the pacing on the TV series is pretty horrible.

Comment by Archiver
    17:21 19/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I've just watched episode one of the OVA earlier and I haven't watched any of the TV version yet; Like the others said, there are lots of panty shot animes to watch elsewhere so it doesn't hurt to have the TV version censored but I don't like the character art. Therefore the OVA is much better for me.

22:49 05/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm... the tv one is the cutest, then comes the manga and then comes the oav. But the oav seems funnier and manga have their own charm (I've read a lot of manga and still watch the anime when it comes out and vice versa). And I'm not a otaku. I read normal(define normal) novels a lot too.

02:06 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That "thing" in the TV version is NOT CHIKA... blech

Comment by Genny
    02:14 29/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's kinda hard to decide. Saying OVA just for the pantyshots seemed wrong..Since the TV version was ok and I've enjoyed the story. Plus the OVA's simply short and doesn't seem to explain a lot about the characters (especially Sato and Chika)

17:12 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i like that tv one better, i like the more simple design

Comment by Anon
    00:14 26/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

both are ugly...

Comment by spike065
    08:32 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i think that the ova is better just because that's all i have seen so far

but i feel that if they had taken the characters from the ova and same of the changes they did in the tv it would turn out okay but also that's just because i have not seen the tv one yet only going off of screens and what i have heard

the lack of pantsu i think is dumb along with the changing of voice actors

Comment by kebrus
    07:45 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

TV all the way, i don't dislike the OVA style but i pretty much prefer the TV slick style

though it kinda sucks the lack of pantsu

Comment by Ganaesh D.
    00:29 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

You forgot another option in the poll: "Neither."

Comment by MV
    01:42 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't vote?

Comment by karry
    00:27 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

"Ghost in the Shell movies vs. TV"

How are those differ ? They are totally the same designs, except for the level of detail.

Comment by Hard Saturn
    01:33 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Which movies? The Oshii movies and SAC+movies are very different designs.

Anyways totally not digging TV Aihara till they get to the close in good stuff. Oh what teeth she has...

Comment by kazemizuhi
    02:33 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

"OVA’s are generally of better quality and since..."

I never said the design were different. Just that they're better quality; and in the case of Ghost inthe Shell, the difference in quality is huge (as would be expected from a movie).

Comment by Artefact
    23:41 07/10/2008 # ! Incalculable

Added manga comparison...

Comment by tyciol
    09:19 16/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

This redesign is going to be incredibly confusing =(

Comment by kazemizuhi
    00:21 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This isn't surprising in the least. For example Rourouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OVA vs. TV Series. Ghost in the Shell movies vs. TV. If I could be bothered I could list many more.

OVA's are generally of better quality and since they're not TV series, have no need to be concerned about censorship.

I say let them make their half-hearted TV series so they can accrue the funds for another OVA (which will be of better quality).

Comment by Kman
    02:45 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

dunno what her name is, but the girl with the orange hair looks best in the OVA, the TV version of her is just... uhhh... bad.

The one thing that I loved with the series was the art style and character design, I'm actually pretty disappointed.

Comment by kamikaze
    04:57 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

SO do not want...not a big fan with changing of the VAs and not a fan of the missing pantsu shots. The ova had so much more quality versus the tv version. Kinda disappointed...

Comment by Kadian1364
    06:31 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not really a fan of the series to begin with, but the TV art is incredibly ugly. The faces are all blubbery and wildly disproportionate in some screen shots (I'm not talking about the facial outtakes). They feel like their cheeks can morph out of shape at any moment. Maybe they're going for the super young crowd?

Comment by wcloudxkumo
    04:48 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The same creator as Minami-ke, so I definitely prefer the character style of the manga. Watched the OVA, TV series not yet.

Comment by Cima
    04:40 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The manga looks like a masterpiece compared to the OAV and TV versions. Maybe it'll take a movie version to finally get things right?

Comment by Blowfish
    02:54 08/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh man...I was actually excited that they released a TV Series but this is turning me off.
    The Art Style,The Censorship and that they recycle the "plot" of the OVAs