A Certain Magical Index Impresses

cap-00047

Magical nun anime とある魔術の禁書目録 /  A Certain Magical Index finally airs, and the title looks to be very promising. Ample magical powers, drama, and comedy, along with some interesting nun stripping action, are brought together with excellent production values, making A Certain Magical Index an anime with broad appeal.

cap-00031

cap-00047
cap-00048
cap-00049

cap-00050
cap-00051
cap-00052

This is certainly not a full service anime, but it certainly seems quick to divest poor Index of clothes. For something airing at 3am anything can be expected, so it will be interesting to see whether they develop this.

Additionally, she seems to be rather charmingly animated…

cap-00053
cap-00054
cap-00055
cap-00056
cap-00057
cap-00058
cap-00059
cap-00060
cap-00061
cap-00062
cap-00063

Animation is good, with some good character animation, CG elements and what look to be quite striking magical powers. The near future environments are moderately distinctive, though they remain rather plain.

cap-00069
cap-00070

Seiyuu work is also good, with Index and protagonist being well cast. Protagonist himself looks to be of the non-annoyingly useless variety, something of a relief.

Interestingly, the seiyuu for Church of England nun Index, 井口裕香 / Yuka Iguchi, has barely a lead role of note to her name, so this may be her big break.

One area where the title stands out is music; the relatively edgy electronic score makes a welcome change from the usual J-pop seiyuu cash-ins.

cap-00064
cap-00065
cap-00066
cap-00067
cap-00068

I was certainly pleased by this title, and it definitely looks to be highly watchable A-rank series, and one which looks set to create a miniature nun moe boom.

This, along with ToraDora, looks to be one of the top titles airing this season (I would personally add Tales of the Abyss to the list), so you may have little option but to give it a try. I do not think many will be disappointed.

Poll unavailable.

Comment by Tyrenol
    00:02 06/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

>>"Protagonist himself looks to be of the non-annoyingly useless variety, something of a relief."

I plan on watching the show. But I won't be happy if the Protagonist is USELESS.

My number of anime to watch is already low. It includes "Kuro$###suji," "Linebarrels," "VampKnite Guilty," and "TYTANIA." No more shows about "useless Protangonii." Please.

Comment by YHK
    07:56 06/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

At least in the manga the protagonist is pretty awesome, so I'm looking forward to this show.

Comment by Fonzer
    21:59 07/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well i did say in one thread that this could be the best anime of the fall 2008 season and it seems like i wasn't wrong.

The same thing i guessed that the daughter of twenty faces was the best anime of spring season

Comment by TsundereWorks
    14:38 26/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What a FAIL name for a nun.

Dedicatus545? Does this girl log on to WoW or what?

Comment by K99-hvc-09-poxy
    11:16 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this will be another GUILTY PLEASURE. >:3

Comment by Piroko
    15:56 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Been waiting for this series, though, someone spoiled it for me.
    Still waiting for subs, but Sankaku could really use some spoiler tags. :P Probably not possible, though.

However, your article makes me want to watch it even more, since my opinion on the show beforehand was overshadowed by the spoilers. >_<

Comment by Artefact
    16:12 05/10/2008 # ! Transparent

I fail to see how it is possible to spoil a series based on the first episode alone?

You've probably noticed by now that when looking at episodes the story details are usually left out, so I think a reasonable balance is struck, with these articles being very low in spoiler content compared to most.

Spoiler tags are certainly possible, but this basically means hiding the entire article in most cases, so there seems to be little point.

Comment by Piroko
    16:57 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah, sorry for not expanding on that. A translator in my group has read some other media,(manga or light novel, or some sort), and basically told me... what eventually happens. I do hope that the anime strays differently than what he said.

Please don't think much about the spoiler tags. I probably would have only used them only this once, and would of never used them again. And I certainly don't want whole articles being hidden.
    My apologies for those misunderstandings.

Referring to the topic itself:
    I'm almost certain that someone will shop that into Konata Izumi soon. :D

Comment by Artefact
    23:56 05/10/2008 # ! Astronomical

You'll see it here when they do...

Comment by Ngeo
    14:46 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Kurogane said there would be railguns. Where are the railguns!

Comment by Artefact

There are no railguns as such.

The girl with the electro powers can however emulate a railgun in electromagnetically propelling small objects at extreme velocities with consequent destructive effects.

Comment by Kurogane
    22:43 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Her ability IS called Railgun. In fact, Mikoto's even the star of her own manga, A Certain Electromagnetic Railgun.

Trust me, she'll have a big role later.

Man... I'd RAILGUN her all night long, iykwim WWWWW.

Comment by Artefact

Not the same as "a" railgun. Original poster's problem I think...

Comment by Reaver
    15:59 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

*Gasp*

Comment by pus2meong
    20:04 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it just me? The first screenshot remind me of Konata...?

Comment by bj0rN
    18:04 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

mikoto reminds me of pikachu!~
    and index is teh love

Comment by mt-i
    21:35 05/10/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

>index is teh love

That. And Komoe is teh pedobait. :-)