Shangri-La Range Murata Anime Confirmed

Shangri-La Range Murata Anime Confirmed

A TV anime adaptation of sci-fi novel Shangri-La has been announced. Perhaps most notably, the art design will be provided by the great 村田蓮爾 / Range Murata, so that alone should be interesting to see.

You could be forgiven for never having heard of the novel, by Okinawan author 池上永一 / Eiichi Ikegami, as it seems mainly known by way of its serialisation in New Type magazine.

Details of the cast are undecided, but it is set to be produced by Gonzo, and be directed by 別所誠人 / Masato Bessho, who was involved in the production of Death Note and Bleach, amongst others. Some mixed reactions are already apparent to the Gonzo involvement, and we have to wonder how that will turn out. They aren’t that bad, surely?

Via Moon Phase.

Comment by metatron
    10:33 09/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Ranga Murata + Gonzo = I'm a bit 50/50 and have mixed feeling towards the project

I hope it wouldn't be another LOL Gonzo moment >.>

Comment by karasu
    06:42 10/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Gonzo has some decent animation lately (Druaga, Blassreiter), and since they won't get that much power to alter the story (seeing as there's already one) I think it should turn out well.

Comment by Jiyuu
    17:05 10/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

murata+gonzo=win
    blue sub no6 and last exile were both really good.
    hopefully this won't be another mardock scramble

Comment by LoliHat
    03:53 09/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I love Range Murata's work and will definitely see this.

Comment by tj han
    03:11 09/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I SAY YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BABY YESSSSS. But GONZO, let's pray hard.

Comment by Enact
    03:41 09/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I've heard of the novel in various places and mostly heard good things about it. It's interesting though cause the original character desginer for the novels was also the desginer for Eureka Seven, so the switch to Murata may annoy some. Definitly excited though. 09 will be a great year for light novel anime, espically with Guin Saga.

Comment by TheBigN
    03:43 09/09/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well the last time GONZO worked with Range Murata and got something out, we had Last Exile, which was good in most people's eyes. So I'm going to be anticipating fun times with this. :3

Comment by Artefact

I had forgotten about Last Exile, probably my favourite anime, so that changes things.