Police Called Over Melting Ice Cream

132122

Police departments across Japan are reporting an increase in bizarre requests for police intervention, with prank or otherwise insincere requests for assistance now reaching some 7% (4,800) of the total calls made (69,400).

A selection is reproduced below:

“My ice cream melted!”

“I was dumped by my girlfriend; what should I do?”

“The vending machine doesn’t have any change”.

“I’d like you to send a patrol car to take me somewhere”.

“I’ll give you $5 to go buy me some food, I’m starving!”

However, there is a serious side to this, and this has tempered the police’s willingness to dismiss these deranged requests out of hand. In the last case, the caller was a senile old man who lived alone, and really was starving to death. Police ensured he got proper care; “He may have died alone like that” they say. Police are also mindful of their duty to help citizens…

Responses actually made to these calls are full of such displays of saintly patience as: “Please check your fridge has power”, “Please call the vending machine management company”, etc. Perhaps this is wise, as dismissing these reports out of hand also carries the risk of accidentally dismissing a real incident, with potentially disastrous results.

A person formerly in charge of police dispatch has this to add: “20 years ago, we got some crazed requests, but nothing like it is now. Now they even make them to 119 (ambulance), not just 110 (police). I can’t help but think this is a question of changes in morality…”

Via J-Cast.

Comment by Adieu
    00:14 22/03/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Maaaan... I've been struggling with disconnects and downtime a lot, calling the internets company to no avail - turns out I'd got it all wrong. SHOULD'VE CALLED THE COPS!!!

Comment by krolik
    09:06 05/03/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've always wanted to try out the second to last one. Sometimes my car is parked very far away and I wait for the bus to get to the parking lot (shitty university parking), but there are cops around sometimes. If I tell them I am really cold and ask them for a ride would they do it, or arrest/fine me for police harassment?

Or, what if I'm drunk and ask to be escorted to my home in their car, so I don't drink and drive or better yet, so I don't get robbed in my inebriated state on my walk home.

10:52 05/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You'd probably get thrown in the in drunk tank in the second scenario.

11:44 06/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Drunk in public.

Comment by Carrie
    15:37 10/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is an old post, but just for the record: No, there's only a INCREDIBLY slim chance they would help you with the first scenario.

In regards to the second scenario, AAA has the Tow to Go program, which provides free transportation for people who are drunk as a means to keep them off the road. There are also more regional services that do the same thing.

Comment by Viper
    16:09 25/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

7%?????
    Hahahahaha, that's nothing!!!
    In Colombia the prank calls are the 95% of all the emergency calls. Now HERE we got a problem.

01:48 09/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

it seems japanese citizens are really getting dependant on the police, either that or the police are a bunch of pansies and should toughen up.....i mean ice cream?! really?

21:22 06/02/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

((“I’ll give you $5 to go buy me some food, I’m starving!”
    However, there is a serious side to this, and this has tempered the police’s willingness to dismiss these deranged requests out of hand. In the last case, the caller was a senile old man who lived alone, and really was starving to death. ))

Just that bit right there. I lol'd so hard at that shit. Cause if you read the old man's line out of context, it makes you think of a stoner calling late at night cause he has the munchies. Then it's like, nah brah he REALLY IS STARVING. Oh my god... can't breathe so funny...

23:52 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I ran out of pot could you drop off to me as im to stoned to drive

Comment by glottis
    08:36 05/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

go stuck your head in a fridge..

Comment by Jason
    08:25 05/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

“My ice cream melted!”

No0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o!

---

I hope the police person bought them a new ice cream.. ._.

Comment by DmonHiro
    06:08 09/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"the caller was a senile old man who lived alone, and really was starving to death."

That is....really sad. Good thing the police over there are good people.

Comment by SaruDa
    07:50 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would hope a police officer in their mid 20s or later would be able to discern the tone of voice a starving man would make while saying that.

Comment by Dee
    13:41 13/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

“My ice cream melted!”

Arrest that ice cream man!!

HAHAHAHH!!!

Comment by Pyoro
    01:44 05/08/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

playing it safe is good and all, but some kinda measure should be implemented to reduce incidences of such call such as a hefty fine

Comment by Nandaka
    Comment by BZou
    14:40 04/08/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Very interesting, it is good to see patient officers in Japan, over here in NYC we have a lot of short tempered hot heads which ends up causing problems that should never have happened.

Comment by Robocop
    15:45 14/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i lol'd at the last one till i read how serious it was.
    how sad that he has nobody to check in on him. brings to mind thoughts of "gits: sac: solid state society".

03:58 28/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

aye, pretty sure things getting as bad as SSS now :(

09:02 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"I was dumped by my girlfriend, what should i do? should i kill her?" is something number 2 could have been