Governor Calls for More Child Spanking

asuka_rei-01

“Can’t we institute the rule of the fist here in Miyazaki prefecture?” With these words the prefectural governor made a call for the reinstitution of corporal punishment in schools, long abolished. “What’s to become of the position of school teachers now they can’t even mete out corporal punishment? Can’t we at least permit the loving rod, that surely deserves no punishment?”

Translating his words is a little fraught as the word he uses can mean rod, crop, whip, stick, lash, etc, none of which really sound too wholesome in this context, but I suppose that is as well.

Finally, a Member of the prefectural assembly has this to add: “In the past, we were all taught with the fist”, and he too goes on to advocate some child spanking, delighting the governor. It is probably not in good taste to mention where this kind of thinking led in the last century. Via Nikkan Sports.

Considering what some Japanese teachers get up to I would be leery about letting them get their jollies beating their charges, but I suppose this may just be posturing by the governor.

I have no idea why Japanese politicians have been obsessing so much lately over children and their supposed vices – there isn’t even an election on. Suggestions?

Comment by Panther
    01:40 19/06/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Unfortunately I have to agree with Ez. But I also think that giving too much power to the teachers may lead to certain punishments that were actually uncalled for and lead to even more troubles.

Comment by Artefact

Giving more power to Japansese teachers might perhaps have untoward consequences...

Comment by greenpoint0
    17:45 20/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

They should simply do a research. See which is more effective, Martial discipline or verbal admonishing. They have the whole of Japan to research.

22:04 25/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And today there are many sickly humans, you can cause a major disorder even with the slightest slap. I wouldn't take the risk hitting someone I don't know anyway.

Comment by Brian Weaver
    09:27 19/06/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We assume that prior to World War II corporal punishment was common in Japanese schools. We see how much good that did, do we not?

ya, the kids from that era was much more polite and well manner than today's modern era of punk wannabe dumbass kids.

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    14:26 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The ones that didn't become kamikazes or occupy a tactically insignificant desert island for 25 years.

Comment by unicogirl
    01:00 19/06/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

i dont see the purpose of a Teacher punishing someones child.

if they are disruptive and disrespectful. just send them out of the room, and their parents can deal with it.

disrespect should not lead to physical pain on another human being.

Comment by Mr Nox
    23:07 05/08/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You obviously don't know Japan rules : kids have the RIGHT to attend classes, even if they don't listen. So teachers don't have the right to send them out.

Comment by lordchair

The parents DON'T deal with it. That is the problem. On a massive scale.

the Japanese schools don't have a discipline team. the only thing teachers can do is yell at their students. funny thing is, if a student does something stupid like steal something from a convenience store, the homeroom teacher of that student has show up at that convenience store and apologize for it. pretty fucking stupid. the parents can't discipline their own kids 'cuz some of them aren't home; rather, they CAN'T be home because of their retarded long hours. some Japanese people just works too fucking much. at least with this crappy recession, maybe they'll get some work-share with their jobs and actually be able to teach their kids a thing or two. one can only hope.

Comment by LordVergil
    18:47 11/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

so much spanking

Comment by Warsie
    12:59 31/03/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

so...apparently this site is full of masochists. Now I can understand if this turns you on, but don't push bullshit about beating...err "chastizing" your children making them more respectful...lol

Comment by nckl
    02:23 19/06/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Finally. A politician says something that I can get behind. (Yeah, I went there).

Stupid puns aside, what do you expect from politicians? They drum stuff up that appeal to the general public just to make it look like they're doing something useful. Either that, or in this case, some school kid pissed him off and now he's out for revenge.

20:16 25/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was raised with the "rule of fist", and I certainly have no problem, I actually grew up healthy. Did I hate my teachers for it? No. Did I hate my parents? Again, the answer is no, and I love my parents still dearly. While I was punished for the things I did wrong when it was wrong, my elders always never beaten me senseless, rather to only a point where it would serve a lessen, and explain why it was for, and it was for the better good of me becoming a better person. Yes there are numerous accounts where this is abused, but if they existed responsibly, I think it might be beneficial.

Comment by JustSarah
    10:48 15/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Keep in mind, just a few comments here doesnt necessarily represent a majority opinion. i wonder what kind of research these poeple made to support spanking other than the bible?

Hello, the bible was written 2000 years ago. I don't view that as an authority.

Comment by tj han

Yes, beating up students is the right way! See how Onizuka from GTO is the best teacher because he beats the shit out of his students.

I also call for more spanking. Fucking "Bebe's kids!"

Comment by Ez

Kids today need to be disciplined, they lack respect. Short and simple

15:01 24/12/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's fine when the person disciplining them isn't so huge of a hypocrite him/herself. Considering the crap that teachers do, this would only allow more of them to get away with it.

spank teachers if they misbehave too

13:14 05/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean they lack disciprine.

Spanking works, plain and simple. "He who does not chastise his children, does not truly love his children" - King Solomon, son of David.
    If Dr. Spock was such a good father/Dr. how come he never diagnosed or treated his son's depression which would have prevented his suicide?

Schools always employ some kind of punishment, whether it's silent treatment, extortion of parents, mandatory "counselling" that amounts to mandatory bullying, etc.

Corporal punishment is just another kind of punishment.

People who avoid corporal punishment are not automatically better people than people who use corporal punishment.

Kids today need to be disciplined, they lack respect. Short and simple
    Totally agreed
    So when they grow up they can be a good soldier really to go to Vietnam.

14:38 25/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i lol'ed. GG anon