Sankaku Complex Forums » Anime

Wishful PS4 thinking

1. Char said:

Kinect may have been a failure as a game controller but it's hack potential was the greatest thing since the Wiimote.

Yup the irony of Kinect only being good at stuff it was not intended for.

Posted 1 year ago # Quote
  2. Pyrolight said:

Yup the irony of Kinect only being good at stuff it was not intended for.

Well the technology Microsoft licensed to make it was originally used for some of these tasks though robot navigation is a new one for it.

It's kinda a boiled down version of the technology Hollywood uses for motion capture.

3. I don't care, as long as they don't region lock everything I'm fine with it.

I just hope they don't decide to suddenly break their current business model of having no region lock.

4. Char said:

It's kinda a boiled down version of the technology Hollywood uses for motion capture.

I always kinda wondered if it was something like that.

5. Char said:

Well the technology Microsoft licensed to make it was originally used for some of these tasks though robot navigation is a new one for it.

A lot of software developers love experimenting with the Kintect sure it fail to be a controller for amusement it still has potential to be used for Third party development and Windows.

6. Myballz said:

A lot of software developers love experimenting with the Kintect sure it fail to be a controller for amusement it still has potential to be used for Third party development and Windows.

I always figured it might just work well if they added some sorta glyph or light tracking.
    Like maybe have a plastic sword with an LED or a gun with a coded laser or even a simple light to work with it for certain games.

Actually since Kinect has an IR projector which project an array of dots on what ever is in it's view a sword or other weapon would only need a retro reflective paint.
    But really it hack value far outweighs any value it has as a controller.
    Where else can you get 3D vision for a robot for $90 or something that could allow you to control a 3d character like a puppet.

On aside note the PS4 may be kinda fail but if it sells for cheap and turns out easy to jail break it could be a cheap media computer.
    Other good news the price of PS3s should come down.

Though I wonder if this was the only PS4 prototype as they claim to have been working on it since 2008 and it's pretty obviously it's not five years worth of work.

So in case it bombs 5200 style is there a PS5 already in the works?
    That or maybe they had to make a back up architecture fast in a panic because IBM decided instead of making Cell 2 to go with the more general purpose Power 7 architecture for their own products.
    It actually looks like something their hardware design teams could have easily whipped up in just 2 years if that.
    The talks of super charged PC architecture brings back memories of Sega's blast processing commercials.

7. So far, the I still only had good memories with the PS2. While PS3s where dying left and right, early version PS2's still work. It's also backwards compatible.

Too bad, Sony's getting too paranoid.

8. genosabre said:
    So far, the I still only had good memories with the PS2. While PS3s where dying left and right, early version PS2's still work. It's also backwards compatible.

Too bad, Sony's getting too paranoid.

I think a lot of the dead consoles are due to three issues, more heat, early RoHS solder being shit, and lastly use of lowest bidder assembly in mainland China.

9. Char said:
    I think a lot of the dead consoles are due to three issues, more heat, early RoHS solder being shit, and lastly use of lowest bidder assembly in mainland China.

We are yet to confirm it, but from the guys I hang out with, Sony kills their own consoles via updates. My friend's units [old models] started acting wonky after an update patch for their PS3 Speculation and rumor.

10. genosabre said:

We are yet to confirm it, but from the guys I hang out with, Sony kills their own consoles via updates. My friend's units [old models] started acting wonky after an update patch for their PS3 Speculation and rumor.

That sounds like grounds for a class action lawsuit.
    But then Sony's corporate management seem like complete idiots.

11. Char said:

I always figured it might just work well if they added some sorta glyph or light tracking.
    Like maybe have a plastic sword with an LED or a gun with a coded laser or even a simple light to work with it for certain games.

Actually since Kinect has an IR projector which project an array of dots on what ever is in it's view a sword or other weapon would only need a retro reflective paint.
    But really it hack value far outweighs any value it has as a controller.
    Where else can you get 3D vision for a robot for $90 or something that could allow you to control a 3d character like a puppet.

On aside note the PS4 may be kinda fail but if it sells for cheap and turns out easy to jail break it could be a cheap media computer.
    Other good news the price of PS3s should come down.

Though I wonder if this was the only PS4 prototype as they claim to have been working on it since 2008 and it's pretty obviously it's not five years worth of work.

So in case it bombs 5200 style is there a PS5 already in the works?
    That or maybe they had to make a back up architecture fast in a panic because IBM decided instead of making Cell 2 to go with the more general purpose Power 7 architecture for their own products.
    It actually looks like something their hardware design teams could have easily whipped up in just 2 years if that.
    The talks of super charged PC architecture brings back memories of Sega's blast processing commercials.

PS4 won't have backwards compatibility Sony hope to use cloud streaming service "PS Cloud" in more ways then one for example I like the concept that the possibility of PS4 can be use to live stream your games on the internet with the use of the PS4 Eyetoy steaming you while your playing Call of Duty:Multi-player that maybe in the works for Sony future.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/20/playstation-cloud-streaming/

12. Myballz said:

PS4 won't have backwards compatibility Sony hope to use cloud streaming service "PS Cloud" in more ways then one for example I like the concept that the possibility of PS4 can be use to live stream your games on the internet with the use of the PS4 Eyetoy steaming you while your playing Call of Duty:Multi-player that maybe in the works for Sony future.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/20/playstation-cloud-streaming/

Just reaffirms my belief that the execs are complete idiots.
    Lets shaft 90% of the world and the 10% who do have fast enough internet lets nickle and dime them while they get to play laggy cloud games.
    Having a fast pipe is not enough as HD streaming can kill your bandwidth cap esp on wireless.

13. Char said:

That sounds like grounds for a class action lawsuit.
    But then Sony's corporate management seem like complete idiots.

No one has the money to sue, but yes- them taking out linux support for one was a incredibly illegal.

14. Cantido said:

No one has the money to sue, but yes- them taking out linux support for one was a incredibly illegal.

It wasn't the only lawsuit that follow Sony they had a streak of Patent infringement's from PS2 and PS3 the only thing that save them was the Japanese Game Developers who were willing to work with Sony considering the issues with Coding they had to use Xbox 360 development kit to port games into PS3 they even admit it.The good news is from what I hear the Sony plan with the PS4 isn't going to be like PS3 according to the claims from Shuhei Yoshida in a Interview from Eurogamer it seems they ask the right questions expressed the issue PS3 when ask about the PS4 Shuhei Yoshida mention he wants a PS4 system that won't Install games by disk into the PS4 consider they using a new Blu-ray Driver that PS4 is using has 6X speed It will be easy enough to load games faster,Shuhei Yoshida mention he didn't want Gamers wait a long while just to play video game,even taking longer to download update you have the options.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

15. Myballz said:

It wasn't the only lawsuit that follow Sony they had a streak of Patent infringement's from PS2 and PS3 the only thing that save them was the Japanese Game Developers who were willing to work with Sony considering the issues with Coding they had to use Xbox 360 development kit to port games into PS3 they even admit it.The good news is from what I hear the Sony plan with the PS4 isn't going to be like PS3 according to the claims from Shuhei Yoshida in a Interview from Eurogamer it seems they ask the right questions expressed the issue PS3 when ask about the PS4 Shuhei Yoshida mention he wants a PS4 system that won't Install games by disk into the PS4 consider they using a new Blu-ray Driver that PS4 is using has 6X speed It will be easy enough to load games faster,Shuhei Yoshida mention he didn't want Gamers wait a long while just to play video game,even taking longer to download update you have the options.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

Using the Xbox 360 dev kit would result in very unoptimized games as the Xbox 360 CPU is just a triple core PPC while Cell has one PPC core and 8 SPUs.

The funny thing the 8core X86 is only 50% more powerful then the Xbox 360 CPU.

Microsoft could easily bury the PS4 performance wise and keep backwards compatibility if the simply went with a 6 core Xenon 8GB of ram and an AMD/ATI GPU with 1100 processing units.
    A gefore with 600 Cuda units would destroy the PS4 GPU simply because Cuda processors are larger and faster then Radeon Stream processors but it would make for compatibility issues if a game used direct access vs DX calls.
    This is not because geforce is better nVidia just went a different direction then ATI.

I've heard conflicting stories on the Xbox 720 some say it will use nearly the exact same AMD chip as in the PS4 but with slower ram and others says it will use a beast of a chip with 16 PPC cores similar to those in Xenon that is fully backwards compatible with the 360.
    If the latter then it would be a nice system to jail break just to get a fast 16 core machine for a few hundred bucks.
    If the former far easier to jail break but less reward but a nearly stock X86 Linux distro probably will run on it.

16. Char said:

Using the Xbox 360 dev kit would result in very unoptimized games as the Xbox 360 CPU is just a triple core PPC while Cell has one PPC core and 8 SPUs.

The funny thing the 8core X86 is only 50% more powerful then the Xbox 360 CPU.

Microsoft could easily bury the PS4 performance wise and keep backwards compatibility if the simply went with a 6 core Xenon 8GB of ram and an AMD/ATI GPU with 1100 processing units.
    A gefore with 600 Cuda units would destroy the PS4 GPU simply because Cuda processors are larger and faster then Radeon Stream processors but it would make for compatibility issues if a game used direct access vs DX calls.
    This is not because geforce is better nVidia just went a different direction then ATI.

I've heard conflicting stories on the Xbox 720 some say it will use nearly the exact same AMD chip as in the PS4 but with slower ram and others says it will use a beast of a chip with 16 PPC cores similar to those in Xenon that is fully backwards compatible with the 360.
    If the latter then it would be a nice system to jail break just to get a fast 16 core machine for a few hundred bucks.
    If the former far easier to jail break but less reward but a nearly stock X86 Linux distro probably will run on it.

They had to go cheaper considering the cost of making a new system they would of could consider i5/i7 processors from Intel it would of been expensive if AMD processor wasn't on that system.You want a repeat of the price of the PS3 when they first release it around $500 to $400 dollars?

AMD consider the worse when it comes to Desktop Gaming but Intel sucks when it comes to Gaming Laptops in my experience when I own one and it was such a chore when I had to update processor just to play World of Warcraft.

You must log in to post.