Sankaku Complex Forums » General

1. Jakuryusei said:

I LOVE SMUDGING MY PAPER! It's how I get my very best shadows! :D

This is the biggest advantage to using pencil. I really wish there were a way for them to mimic that feeling in a digital form :/

Posted 1 year ago # Quote
  2. juno016 said:
    Dan, the shirt and skirt are separate, though looking at screenshots doesn't always help because, by way of cheap animation techniques, the animators sometimes combine them for an easy outline.
    She could still use some anatomy work, but... rather than kill what's nice about the one you have, work on some more! Just sketches might work for now, too. The previously referenced posemaniacs is a great place to start. From there's it's all about stylization and changing proportions to be more "manga-like" if you so prefer.

really I consider every drawing that I do to be "practice" so I don't usually just end with sketches, because that tends to be focused on just 1 aspect of drawing. Besides it's easy for something to look good while it's just a sketch but once you start to give it defined lines and color your mistakes really start to show up. Not only that, but when it comes to showing that you understand anatomy, proper shading is important.

3. danhibiki said:

really I consider every drawing that I do to be "practice" so I don't usually just end with sketches, because that tends to be focused on just 1 aspect of drawing. Besides it's easy for something to look good while it's just a sketch but once you start to give it defined lines and color your mistakes really start to show up. Not only that, but when it comes to showing that you understand anatomy, proper shading is important.

The disadvantage to thinking like that is you spend too much time on one thing and can't study something from multiple aspects at once. The shading and line thickness is important to showing depth, but without proper anatomy, it still looks awkward. When I say to try multiple sketches, I mean... do a sketch dump. Not necessarily complete sketches or anything. Sometimes I just sit down and go on posemaniacs or use my models and start sketching the torso of the male or female body from different angles, bent different ways, just to keep my skills in shape. I might just draw a few heads to work on the style I like. Or I may even just start drawing a ton of random poses to work on how the body works as a whole. It's been harder as of late, thanks to school, but I usually sit down and do gesture drawings for about 5-10 minutes, or spend just an hour working on a bunch of studies--usually once a day, as many days a week as possible. It seems like a ridiculous amount of time and work, but it REALLY pays off in the end. Just looking at some of the artwork I was proud of a year ago makes me shudder in embarrassment.

...Not that I have those kinds of emotions or anything. Nope.

Oh, but neglecting finished works is also a bad thing. Still, just sketching a ton of stuff before working on something a little bigger is always a great warm up for your wrist. And don't just stick to people/characters. Drawing objects, rooms, landscapes, and stuff is important, too. Sketches aren't always made to be finished products (no matter how good they look), so don't convince yourself that you can do anything if you can sketch properly, but don't forget that sketching IS important if you want to do a lot of practice at once, which is an efficient way to get things down.

4. juno016 said:

yeah sometimes when im stuck on something, i just start a new page and practice character designs and expressions, which has really helped me grow as an artist in the last year. it's not so much "getting it done" as it is "getting it right". and you can see improvement in quality as you go down the page. the way i see it now, the quick sketches actually look better than a finished drawing, which just seems weird to me.

5. You fear messiness far too much Shima-kun!

Here, I'm prescribing you some Alan Watts...

6. Jakuryusei said:
    You fear messiness far too much Shima-kun!

Here, I'm prescribing you some Alan Watts...

he sounds like my thoughts when i start becoming sleep deprived, and now im too busy thinking about it to go to sleep. like, i know straight lines and smooth curves are aesthetically pleasing, but perhaps it's the way ive conditioned my mind over the past few months, perhaps i need to remove myself from the city to regain perspective on the big picture, but what is the big picture? does it end at our world? or does it extend to the end of the universe? or maybe there are more universes out there all floating around some transcendental object that we cant even fathom. and perhaps all that is just a small part in a much bigger story that defies logic.
    when it comes down to it, what is reality? is reality subjective? objective? how would we know if it existed if we weren't here? sure there's proof, but maybe it's all a rationalization made up by our brains, those neurons and chemicals that let us feel pain, let us see and hear and touch, perhaps all of those are manufactured, too. perhaps we're all just a dream in someone's head. would that person be god? if he wakes, would we cease to exist? does time or sleep even mean anything to him? what is time? if it flows differently depending on how fast you move, does it really matter what time it is? why do we split time into seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, and so forth? who made them up, how would they know exactly how long a second is, its not like they would have a way to tell exact time down to the second. why do we confine ourselves to these numbers, sleep every day, go to work every day, and then complain that theres not enough of it...

but anyways, thanx for making my brain once again explode, i'll probably be up for the next 2 days as well.

7. The answer to all those questions can be found in the "Go To Bed" topic.

*ahem* Messiness can birth some great things. Striving perfection with technique is important, but even in that case, the act of going for the goal is more important than the actual goal itself. Knowing when to take advantage of mistakes is also important, as is knowing when your own imperfections are actually what make something look good. I mean, there are some really awkward "manga-style" artists I know of who I end up really, really liking in the end, and it's not just because their technical skills are great. I see the "human" in their work and it makes me think, "This is why I came here to look at their work" instead of looking at photographs or those super-ultra-realistic "manga-style" works.

8. juno016 said:
    The answer to all those questions can be found in the "Go To Bed" topic.

yeah sry about the wall of meaningless musings.

but continuing on your topic, it brings up the question, what really is "Manga-style"? does it relate to the tezuka style layout, or the more archetypical "big eyes" artwork style that everyone uses? can you really call colored images "manga style" if the majority of manga is in black and white? why aren't there many titles done in pencil? there are hundreds of different styles used in manga itself, from the super-deformed chibi-like characters to the ultra realistic works. and youre right that each of them is valid in their own right. at the same time, it makes pinpointing your own style that much harder. even though i just started back drawing again at this time last year, my style is still constantly evolving, though not necessarily getting better. backgrounds and the like give me trouble now, though all i used to draw in the past was still life, inanimate objects, and landscapes.
    anyways, forgive me for the OTHER wall of text. the thoughts just flow onto the screen before i even realize, and i know i'm a bit long winded, and not always relevant x3.
    truth be told, it's REALLY hard to find people with similar hobbies or interests (though its really a way of life) in the states, to the point where you'd think it was almost taboo, or looked down upon. anyways, on to goals.
    on your first point, i plan on working to complete a one-shot by the end of the year once i nail down a story and style that i'm content with, and it would be nice to receive some criticism whenever i get the ever elusive internet connection.

9. jm989 said:
    it brings up the question, what really is "Manga-style"?

You can't really be too literal on the meaning, as there is no real definition. I rarely see the word used in Japanese unless being used for tutorials from an artist who uses some of the characteristics generally accepted to be "manga-like." People argue whether it's something only Japanese people can do or not, or if it only pertains to certain kinds of media or the features of the characters themselves, but... there's no quantifiable definition, so there's little point to arguing about it. Besides--if we defined it, there would be a lot of great work out there, intentionally made in "manga style" that would find itself without an identity anymore. I mean, look at Murakami Takashi and his work. It's currently recognized all over the world, and he admits that it comes from "manga style," but in a sense, he created it to both take advantage of AND subvert the expectations of the "manga style" with his different "Superflat" styles. The style is always changing, and it is not really that similar between two people, so there just is no reason to define it.

Now back to the normal topic on everyone's art.

10. I was suddenly reminded of the first original character I ever made as a teenager. Since he was my first, he kinda means a lot to me.

I'm wondering if this also happens to anyone else who ever created original characters; you know, basically giving him/her bleaker and bleaker outcome as you grow older until you feel like breaking said character yourself to pieces. lol

Oh, and while I thought she'd no longer be Mary Sue, this site told me that I still need to rework her(30-35). lol

EDIT: Cut away the wallful text of shit no one cares bout.

Attachments

1. raaaaaaaaaaaage.jpg 1 year old
    2. diesintheend.jpg 1 year old
  11. If you want to rant about your own characters, then go ahead. I, myself, have my own "universe," not unlike that of the Tezuka Star System or the CLAMP Universe. But instead of taking the same character and rewriting them into a bunch of different stories, I take a... "database" of a certain kind and split a bunch of strengths and weaknesses among the characters I make, only giving them the same name (though not always) and slight appearance similarities to reference their origin. Unlike CLAMP's "Tsubasa," though, my "Universe" started out with the idea of traveling different worlds that are homages to actual series that exist (inspired by my own dreams), and the rest of my personal ideas (including original Pokemon trainers and magical girls--among several others) spawned from that concept.

Even incubators have to exercise their creativity every once in a while.

12. People still care about that Marry Sue thing... Why...?

13. Avatar Image

Nin

Jakuryusei said:
    People still care about that Marry Sue thing... Why...?

Because she's still single.

14. jamesownsall said:

very contemporary and almost reminiscent of hellsing, what does the design on the shirt mean?

juno016 said:

the current story im working on has modern interpretations of the gods and goddesses from the creation stories of different mythologies, and how they may have manipulated history as we know it. reincarnation is a heavy theme, as well as the endless war they're fighting in another universe, along the lines of the norse battle between the gods. their "powers" are based on a fusion of modern technology and their otherworldy "magic". and that's the general gist of it.

15. I know that Sankaku probably isn't big on Swedish music but here's a new song from me and a friend:
    https://soundcloud.com/antika/miicken-bebe-du-har-bara-dig
    I made the cover so you guys aren't allowed to talk shit about it. >:I

16. juno016 said:
    But instead of taking the same character and rewriting them into a bunch of different stories...

The thing is it wasn't a bunch of different stories. It's the same single one, that I revise from time to time. Each revision of this story made it so the main character is a more repulsive guy to people around him(in his own mind, he thought they care, but they don't), and his fate become more miserable.

Which is why I'm asking if anyone else ever do that to theirs.

Jakuryusei said:
    People still care about that Marry Sue thing... Why...?

I'm not completely against Mary Sue characters. I believe Mary Sues are redeemable as long as the progression of the story about said character subverts things that made it so.

The site was just a little experiment I made after keeping that character for so long. I think the initial version of my character I made as a teenager would make My Immortal look like Da Vinci's Code, so how he is now is basically an improvement.

jm989 said:

very contemporary and almost reminiscent of hellsing, what does the design on the shirt mean?

Nothing. It was just some cheap tees printed with gibberish you'd normally see coming out from China. lol

17. jamesownsall said:
    The thing is it wasn't a bunch of different stories. It's the same single one, that I revise from time to time. Each revision of this story made it so the main character is a more repulsive guy to people around him(in his own mind, he thought they care, but they don't), and his fate become more miserable.

Maybe you're subconsciously channeling Dorian Gray.

18. aneko said:

Maybe you're subconsciously channeling Dorian Gray.

Haha. Nice try.

19. jamesownsall said:

well it wouldn't be any fun if shit didnt keep happening to the protagonist

20. jamesownsall said:

Which is why I'm asking if anyone else ever do that to theirs.

Mhmm! Often!

Rain has changed skin color, body type, eye type, hairstyle, abilities... her whole personality... ect...

jamesownsall said:

I'm not completely against Mary Sue characters. I believe Mary Sues are redeemable as long as the progression of the story about said character subverts things that made it so.

The site was just a little experiment I made after keeping that character for so long. I think the initial version of my character I made as a teenager would make My Immortal look like Da Vinci's Code, so how he is now is basically an improvement.

Fair enough~

Attachments

1. beccasflower_p9_v3_-_Copy.jpg 1 year old

Reply »

You must log in to post.