Sankaku Complex Forums » General

1. I've spent the last year doing all my general education classes for my game art design & media arts and animation majors. just to get them out of the way, so my last 3 years is strictly art based. so I'll be starting my drawing classes in oct.

I heard its good to build a network of friends who draw. just seeing if sancom has any artist willing to throw me some tips. don't really care for skill lvl just good to have a few people who draw :D.

Posted 5 years ago # Quote
  2. I did art as one of my majors, I focused on photography and drawing.

I am an okay drawer, but i only like drawing ppl just seems more interesting. one example is my avatar i drew that. No real tips, just practice, and get a good eraser.

Currently i have only been drawing tattoo designs....which is more hardcore cause its something permanent and all. I have one covering my back (its not finished yet i go for another session in oct, but i drew the entire picture that is on my back, and the tattoo artist is basically just stenciling it in, same goes for the tattoo on my upper outer thigh.)

take you time at it, i don't find it easy

3. My tip is when you do your "drawerings" with Simon in the tub whatever you do don't drop the soap.

4. I am a cupboard. Inside me are 3 drawers.

5. I never took any actual art classes, besides a few weeks at an art college that didn't work out for me since everyone was haughty, they were demanding a lot more money than what should've been paid, etc etc.
    So I'm basically just learning off and on, on my own with practice. I go on long hiatuses, however. I don't draw nearly as often as I used to.

6. I'll start with this, somewhat paraphrasing my old professor here:
    You should,
    Draw for fun, Draw from life, Draw a lot.

I think drawing is something that one should enjoy, since you are probably going to do it a lot in this business. And practicing is essential, if you have fun while doing it, you are much more likely to be motivated to do it.

drawing from life is a very important part of the classical practice. It trains your eyes and tunes your observational skills. But this is not just for replicating the realities, both observational practice and drawing from imagination require you to understand how light interact with forms. While the basic concept can be taught, nothing really beats drawing from life when it comes to training you to understand shades.

Obviously, you should draw a lot , with correct practice and some research, you can improve your abilities tremendously, but there is not short cuts, practice practice practice. :3

Another advice, you should mix your lecture class and studio classes. Do not wait to do studio classes. In two semester I decided that I should take on 4 studio classes (each, Life drawings, painting, ceremics, studio photography, and 300 level drawings), I thought it would be fun, oh boy, how wrong I was. It was the most hellish and expensive two semester I have ever experienced. So don't take your lecture or studio classes all at once. >.> Pace them and mix a bit its probably a good thing.

My specialization is drawing, although a lot of guys in the department seen to want me to switching to painting while I was at school. <.<;

7. Avatar Image

Exa

Start an account on http://deviantart.com - maybe even pay the subscription fee. It's what I'd do if I started seriously doing art.

8. Draw and don't stop drawing.

9. Seriously, the title made me go here. lol

I do drawings, but as a hobby and restricted to just-for-fun thing, so it's not good at all. (Though a year and a half really changed the way I draw. O_o)

To be specific on what I draw: Miku and Mecha.

In my school there's this "Graphic" club, which at first I thought as general-graphic club, but in the end it's filled with very few talented anime-style drawers and not-good-at-all drawers. I skipped the meetings for 2 years, but in this last year at high school, suddenly I go there again to give a bit of push in the back, if you know what I'm saying.

inb4, that's a really cool major. I'd take it if there's one in my country. orz

As for the guide for drawing.. May the drawers be with you. /read: Keep drawing whatever you like.

10. I have several drawers in my kitchen, living room and bedroom.

Other than that I can't sketch anything if my live depends on it.

11. I liked to draw a lot, years ago, but I lost interest in pencil when started messing with 3D art. I'm using 3ds max 2009 and Mudbox.
    Well for now it's only my hobby, even if I'm losing my hairs everyday, spending a lot of time and nerves trying my best to get to some good point over character rigging texturing and animations still hoping in future will give me some job and profit.
    Anyway hobby is a hobby, work is yet another story.

12. I draw since I can hold pens but I prefer digital art. Currently I mainly make textures for 3d meshes and 2D sprites for games.

13. emc2trooper said:
    I am a cupboard. Inside me are 3 drawers.

lol

14. I draw as a hobby.......and I'm currently making stories about them.....I've currently making 2 stories after previously 50+ other stories when I was younger.....^_^

15. Ku_fei lover said:
    I draw as a hobby.......and I'm currently making stories about them.....I've currently making 2 stories after previously 50+ other stories when I was younger.....^_^

Stories about them drawers or... your hobby?

16. acesofthesky said:

Stories about them drawers or... your hobby?

my hobby.....................

17. Ah, I thought you meant underwear.
    Anyway, yes. My advice is to not be afraid to use reference materials. Sometimes you should even copy, just never pass it off as your own.

18. Lillith said:
    Ah, I thought you meant underwear.
    Anyway, yes. My advice is to not be afraid to use reference materials. Sometimes you should even copy, just never pass it off as your own.

......sometimes I use reference material but never copy....and how crazy do you think I am to make a story about underwear

19. Lillith said:

His hobby is underwear... ^_^

Ku_fei lover said:

......sometimes I use reference material but never copy....and how crazy do you think I am to make a story about underwear

You don't expect an answer to that, do you? ^_^

20. Lillith said:

That reminded me of will smith and his lucky drawers.

Attachments

1. will-smith.jpg 5 years old

Reply »

You must log in to post.