Sankaku Complex Forums » General

A Discussion on Gun Control

1. To keep the YDT from flooding with this, let's bring it here.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Give me your best shot.

Attachments

1. Lsuffering3.gif 2 years old
    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  2. On this one I'm fighting on your side.

Attachments

1. alice_guns.png 2 years old
  3. Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь!

4. MasterInfamous said:

The right to bear arms also means nuclear arms.

"Arms" are defined as weapons not capable of killing indiscriminately and capable of being carried on one's person.

5. Here's my opinions on guns and gun control.

I support the 2nd amendment and believe it's naive that gun control will solve the gun murder crisis.

However, it won't kill us to have a uniform system and culture (something similar to Switzerland) in which we prevent these things from happening so often as it is.

If my opinions on this aren't clear to the relevant people,

SUCK MY GUN!

6. I would like to see restrictions on rifle configurations removed. Not just in California, but all states. When the majority of crimes are committed with handguns, things like pistol grips and short barrels on rifles are irrelevant.

What we do need is a way to identify people who are emotionally unstable, mentally inept, and prone to violence. But that is difficult until we can develop the Sybil system.

7. palmtop-tiger said:
    What we do need is a way to identify people who are emotionally unstable, mentally inept, and prone to violence. But that is difficult until we can develop the Sybil system.

Actually, an Economist study on Gun violence shows that mental disability isn't a correlation.

8. palmtop-tiger said:
    I would like to see restrictions on rifle configurations removed. Not just in California, but all states. When the majority of crimes are committed with handguns, things like pistol grips and short barrels on rifles are irrelevant.

Part of the problem is the US has a stigma on mental illness and people don't get help for small problems before they become big ones.
    Here I don't necessarily just mean mental defects but outside stress related issues.
    There probably were warning signs with this kid but they were ignored.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-blumenthal/mental-health_b_1546676.html
    There certainly were plenty of warnings with Columbine and not all of them were with the shooters.
    That particular school had one of the worst bullying problems imaginable.

9. palmtop-tiger said:
    I would like to see restrictions on rifle configurations removed. Not just in California, but all states. When the majority of crimes are committed with handguns, things like pistol grips and short barrels on rifles are irrelevant.

That's right! Mass-murderers should be able to murder with comfortable feeling, well configured guns with large capacity banana clips, laser scopes, and full-auto capability.

10. This is now an Upotte!!/Girls und Panzer thread. Discuss.

Attachments

1. M16SIGAUG.jpg 2 years old
  11. I like her.

12. ;)

Attachments

1. Right-to-arm-bears.jpg 2 years old
  13. Gun possession will be outlawed in Texas once it quits that silly union and returns to where it belongs.

14. What are the gun laws in Hungary?

15. pilu said:
    Gun possession will be mandated in Texas once it quits that silly union and becomes its own country.

Attachments

1. image.jpg 2 years old
  16. MasterInfamous said:
    What are the gun laws in Hungary?

Same as in most of the EU.

17. never understood the arguement for gun control, crime doesn't go away because you outlaw it.

all these mass killings indicate to me is there clearly isn't enough people with guns.

18. The gun laws that would have "prevented" the latest massacre were passed and signed into law (by GWB) after VA Tech. The problem is that the implementation of the law has been a bit inconsistent since then because sharing mental health records (if this guy even has any) among state and federal agencies has been a fiasco due to existing laws on medical privacy and other red tape. That's how the shooter in Colorado was able to buy without raising potential red flags at the point of sale: He was actually a resident of California, but something in their state law prevented a lot of records from being sent to the DoJ (which I believe does the background checks at all CA FFLs).

Features-based bans are stupid, as PT said. The .223 this guy had was probably a CT/NY/NJ legal version (1 "bad" feature, probably the pistol grip). But that's irrelevant, since the other two guns being reported were handguns (a Glock and a Sig). Magazine capacity limits are stupid as well: so what if someone has a 30-round magazine? They could carry 3 10-rd ones as well, and not only that, they'd be less likely to jam, unlike the 30-rd one (which would have stopped the guy).

My prediction is that nothing will be done at the federal level on this. CT will pass a mag cap (they're the only AWB state that doesn't have one) of 10 or 15 rds. Work will be done with already-existing laws to share more mental health records (even if they wouldn't have made a difference) among the states/federal government.

There's going to be a huge rush today and next week to buy guns because people are afraid Obama and the Dems will do something. It will be interesting to see what the political ramifications are at the state level though: I've noticed that a lot of people who don't have strong views on the gun issue are now questioning the wisdom of the Gun Free School Zones Act victim-disarmament zones. Michigan's governor was going to sign a bill yesterday to allow teachers with extra training to be armed if they so choose: he's put off making that decision (smart move), meaning he'll probably sign it after the dust has settled from the whole media fiasco over this shooting. Illinois' concealed-carry legislation for next year (which they'll pass in response to the recent 7th Circuit's ruling on their ban) may very well address the issue as well, since the cards are in the pro-gun camp's hands.

19. The further I look into this, the more complicated and toxic this thing is. When you look at one factor, there's another factor shooting you in the chest.

20. My friend brought up the Chinese man who stabbed 22 children on the same day, yet none of them died. I'm sure it's more complicated than "it's guns," as he believes, but it's interesting to note.

Reply »

You must log in to post.