Sankaku Complex Forums » General

Windows 8

  1. After mu first upgrade attempt, my BD drive started failing, and my TV Tuner could not be installed.

    I'll be doing my second attempt in a few minutes.

    Have you already moved to the eight-o? Planning not to move? Stay with DOS forever?

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  2. I'm content with 7 and have no intention of switching to 8 atm.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  3. maid said:
    After mu first upgrade attempt, my BD drive started failing, and my TV Tuner could not be installed.

    I'll be doing my second attempt in a few minutes.

    Have you already moved to the eight-o? Planning not to move? Stay with DOS forever?

    Considering who you are and the kind of shit you're likely to store in your PC, I'd rather withhold comment until you report back to us on compatibility with existing softwares, especially those that were created in the XP era. In-depth analysis of regular games or programs you use(speed, slowdown, bugs, crashes, etc) would be highly appreciated.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  4. Yeah, I have on my laptop.
    No problems really. Everything is faster than it was with W8.
    I did notice one annoying issue. My webcam driver seems to be messed up. With a skype video call the other day the video was upside down. I tried reinstalling te drivers but that did not work.
    But that's it really. I'm enjoying W8 right now. I really am.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  5. I was very put off when I first saw Windows 8; it seemed like it embodied everything I hated about how the tech industry is going.

    Trying the beta did not allay these fears.

    I'm going to hold off for a good long while, and unless I hear rave reviews, I'm going to do keep doing what sensible people have done for a long time and skip every other iteration of Windows.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  6. I've been hearing about problems with games (including SC2), so I'm going to wait until it becomes more stable.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  7. jamesownsall said:

    Considering who you are and the kind of shit you're likely to store in your PC

    Hahahahahahahahaha that made my day. I wonder what you meant with that.

    Well, it was not as pretty as I had expected. The BD drive firmware is clearly incompatible, and the TV tuner is incompatible as well (this also means all the anime I had recorded with WMC is as useful as a brick)

    So, head to Akihabara (a 5 minute walk) and get a new BD drive and tuner. Reinstall, and now it's working.

    Still setting things up and installing software. There are lots of changes, and it will definitely take some time to get used to, but I guess it will be worth it.

    Edit: As a previous dedicated hater to the new "Start screen", I have to confess I'm starting to like it. Just remove all of the crap icons that come installed, start from scratch, and it's pretty nice. You get to choose what you get on the screen, so I can keep it much more organized and simple than the previous start menu.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  8. Doesn it comes with a voiced Mascot or something?

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  9. maid said:
    After mu first upgrade attempt, my BD drive started failing, and my TV Tuner could not be installed.

    I'll be doing my second attempt in a few minutes.

    Have you already moved to the eight-o? Planning not to move? Stay with DOS forever?

    I see no reason at all to move to windows eight it's certainly not an upgrade worth spending money on.
    Unlike seven it does not bring any increased functionality to desktops and laptops.
    All my tablets are arm based and run either android or iOS.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  10. nEveR.Fly_ said:
    I've been hearing about problems with games (including SC2), so I'm going to wait until it becomes more stable.

    Yeah, Im pretty content with my Window 7. I think they put the W8 out too fast before actually thouroughly testing it as is seen and heard from all the problems people are experiencing. Ill wait it out too. No need to upgrade the laptop I just bought. It hasnt even been a year yet.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  11. xichisex said:

    Yeah, Im pretty content with my Window 7. I think they put the W8 out too fast before actually thouroughly testing it as is seen and heard from all the problems people are experiencing. Ill wait it out too. No need to upgrade the laptop I just bought. It hasnt even been a year yet.

    My big complaint is they want to force a new UI on me and want to use the same UI on touch orientated devices and non touch devices.
    Metro actually is ok on a touch screen but on a desktop it's a disaster.

    One thing Apple got right is they made iOS and OSX two separate things.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  12. xichisex said:

    Yeah, Im pretty content with my Window 7. I think they put the W8 out too fast before actually thouroughly testing it as is seen and heard from all the problems people are experiencing. Ill wait it out too. No need to upgrade the laptop I just bought. It hasnt even been a year yet.

    What problems?

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  13. jamesownsall said:

    Considering who you are and the kind of shit you're likely to store in your PC, I'd rather withhold comment until you report back to us on compatibility with existing softwares, especially those that were created in the XP era. In-depth analysis of regular games or programs you use(speed, slowdown, bugs, crashes, etc) would be highly appreciated.

    The same compatibility features that W7 had are still around, you should have no issues

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  14. Char said:

    My big complaint is they want to force a new UI on me and want to use the same UI on touch orientated devices and non touch devices.
    Metro actually is ok on a touch screen but on a desktop it's a disaster.

    One thing Apple got right is they made iOS and OSX two separate things.

    Apple? I have an HP laptop. Fuck Apple.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  15. xichisex said:

    Apple? I have an HP laptop. Fuck Apple.

    My laptop is an Acer running Linux though I do have a Mac server and an iPad.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  16. I'm gonna wait~ :3
    Until they no longer support 7~

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  17. You should wait a year or so to updating to the latest OS. Same thing happened to 7. Wait a year and every thing will be patched and upgraded to work on 8.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  18. OK, finished installing the basic software (no games apart from my own yet. that's gonna be tomorrow)

    Attachments

    1. Screenshot_(2).png 2 years old
    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  19. The best reason to upgrade that I've seen is the native support for taskbar spanning across multiple screens.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  20. Neat Hedgehog said:
    The best reason to upgrade that I've seen is the native support for taskbar spanning across multiple screens.

    Yah but that is not enough of a reason to shell out $189 for it.
    Of course there are other ways.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote

Reply »

You must log in to post.