There are, after all, problems with ropes that often come up. More often than not is because inexperienced people play around and hurt each other.
No joke. I can't count how many people I've encountered who have permanent injuries as a result of doing stupid things with rope. They range from scars from rope-burn, cuts from rope that was too thin, to nerve damage from loss of circulation. Hint: if a person's veins bulge and change color, maybe it's too tight to leave them like that for a couple hours. Ahh, well, people just don't use common sense for anything.
So! Question time!
1. Would you define yourself with the BDSM terms? A Domme, Submissive or Switch? And why.
2. Have you ever experienced any of the parts of BDSM or wondered about it? (Like spanking and such)
3. What's the first thought that comes to mind when someone says BDSM?
Well, now this requires something better than a phone keyboard... Much better.
1) Well... hmm... May as well say Switch, I guess. For me, that really doesn't seem totally accurate, though. I have always had the instinct to care for and protect people, which leads to very dominant tendencies.
It's funny how many people think that's some kind of contradiction, because they assume all doms are sinister bullies. Personally, I think if someone actually trusts you enough to let you do... whatever it is you want to do... to / with them, you'd better take your responsibility seriously enough to make sure they're safe and happy at all times. I guess that appeals to me because my "normal" (day-to-day) interactions with people are... less smooth than average, so I enjoy the idea of someone being in a position that I know, absolutely, how to deal with, and lets do everything right for a change.
At the same time, well, the idea of being able to take a break is awfully attractive at times. It really isn't possible to relax as... thoroughly any other way than being tied, somehow.
2) No experience with anyone else, but I have played around by myself a lot. Got a couple big sacks of toys that I either bought, thanks to various going out of business sales, or made. It appeals to my "tinkering" nature. I like to come up with ways to do stuff, and I frequently help various forum members (on other forums) come up with ways to build little gadgets, or engineer ways to do things safely. I need to study some basic electronics engineering to do some really clever stuff that I've come up with, though...
3) Pet play. Definitely. Easily my favorite part of the whole thing, and it's always what I think of when someone brings up BDSM. I like it much better than typical "master/slave" routines, because if someone is your pet, that implies to me that they're on a more equal footing, and you're expected to dote over them and spoil them like you would a real pet. (Quite naturally, the last few chapters of "Nana to Kaoru" are pretty much the best things that I have ever read)