Sankaku Complex Forums » Anime

Let's Bake Together

1. So...Figured I would make a little thread regarding questions about how to make sweets, what goes better with what types of sugars and confectioneries, and plain ol' "DIY" and "How-To"s, so people can more properly learn how to bake and decorate for special occasions,for others on their birthdays, or for simple little gifts wrapped in pretty cellophane with a bow for that special someone in your life.

Attachments

1. 5142.jpg 1 year old
    Posted 1 year ago # Quote
  2. Ooh, how do you make marzipan? It's more complicated than just crushing almonds, right?

3. I like this MUCHO! I'll have a question for you later. Now I'm off to work :Bc

4. It's the softer side of Sancon. I approve.

5. Teach me how to make yummy sweets, Ichi-sensei!

6. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,177,149186-254199,00.html
    Good for beginners.

7. The fact that only "discussion" is capitalized is driving me crazy

8. You have to emphasize that for some people.

9. tupelo29 said:
    Ooh, how do you make marzipan? It's more complicated than just crushing almonds, right?

First off it is mostly sugar and ground almonds. If you can't get ground almonds put them in either blender or food processor to grind them up. The sugars are powdered and baking sugar - or superfine sugar. Using regular granulated sugar could cause the marzipan to become a little more rigid and less smooth, but if it is all you have then go ahead and use it, but I highly go against it. It also takes some vanilla and egg whites. Keep the yolk out of it. If you add that in not only will it mess up the coloring, but kill your poor marzipan in general.

As usual you want mix the dry ingredients together first. You don't need to sift them, just use a spoon and mix them. The problem people have is that they tend to try to be too fancy with things. They look at a sifter - for instance - and think that everything will be better sifted. Not the case.

Then beat the wet ingredients together. Use your fist - or spoon if you are trying not to be messy - and make little divot in the dry mix and pour the wet mix in the middle. You don't want to quickly stir this mixture. Slowly fold the dry over the wet over and over until you get a sort of stiff dough-like ball. At this point put it on your counter and add a tad bit of powdered sugar to not have it stick.

begin kneading it. It will be crumbly - by gawd it will be... - but keep kneading until it is all stuck together and be sure to wrap it up. This way it will stay moist enough to work with later or you can work with it right away. Whichever you want.

10. Aneko said:
    It's the softer side of Sancon. I approve.

======

I agree...

Though we do have a - CABT - it doesn't give the opportunity to ask questions and learn about the aspect of baking.

Nonetheless, we have many artists using various methods, so why not in this manner?

Yet, this is another artistic opportunity to ask questions and learn more about this culinary craft.

Mayhaps, if some lucky person/member lives close enough, they can order theirs from Ichi and can give us a review on the creation?

Attachments

1. K-ON-yui-nod.gif 1 year old
  11. Ichi, do you know any sort of delicious decoration that I could use that is for a diabetic person?

Also, do you know a yummy diabetic cake recipe?

12. Deth said:

======

I agree...

Nonetheless, we have many artists using various methods, so why not in this manner?

Yet, this is another artistic opportunity to ask questions and learn more about this culinary craft.

Mayhaps, if some lucky person/member lives close enough, they can order theirs from Ichi and can give us a review on the creation?

Oooh, that would be fun. :3 I've love to make someone a homemade Ichi cake for them to try.

13. uteki said:
    Ichi, do you know any sort of delicious decoration that I could use that is for a diabetic person?

Also, do you know a yummy diabetic cake recipe?

Um...It's really hard for people with diabetes in general to have sweets. Especially Type 2 because you have to be mindful of their blood sugar. A lot of sweets have manufactured and unnatural sweeteners and preservatives that they really can't have. I don't know anyone with diabetes, so I have never made a cake or any other type of sweets for such a person, but there are good ways to make delicious, all-natural goodies for them to indulge in to satisfy even their sweet tooth.

Baked pears or apples are great with a dash of cinnamon. Just slice the fruit in half and core it. Put it facing up, not flat-side down, on a non-greased metal or glass dish. Be sure the dish or pan you are cooking it in has foil covering the bottom. Pour a bit of apple juice into the pan and sprinkle the cinnamon on top of the fruit. Cover it and cook it for about 30 minutes or until it has the consistency you or they prefer. Take it out, let it cool, and voila.

If they are allowed, maybe not, chill the fruit and make some fresh whipped cream. no canned stuff. It has a lot of unnatural things in it. Put the fruit in the middle of a white plate or decorative place, a dab - just a little - bit of whipped cream next to the fruit and top with a mint leaf.

If looks fancy and it won't be too hard on the diabetic person because it is all natural. This is great for people counting calories too as a healthier alternative to cake and other sweets. Or if you are looking for something a bit more fruity and summery. It's also great, when hot, for the winter and a nice cup of flavored tea to go with it. I personally loooooove cooked apples!

Edit: Oooh, I just remembered. If you want a little bit of tart to you fruit put lemon juice instead of apple juice. I did that with an apple back when it was cold and goodness it was delicious. I'm a sucker for sour things.

Edit-Edit: Also, as I said that I have never made a cake for a diabetic person, I found a recipe online that sounds fairly good. There isn't much sugar in it and you can still pair it with some non-dairy whipped cream. Most diabetics are overweight, so personally I am against actual cake-cakes like chocolate and vanilla and such because that not only could make them gain more weight, but because sometimes something that delicious if hard to not keep eating. Click This

14. xichisex said:

First off it is mostly sugar and ground almonds. If you can't get ground almonds put them in either blender or food processor to grind them up. The sugars are powdered and baking sugar - or superfine sugar. Using regular granulated sugar could cause the marzipan to become a little more rigid and less smooth, but if it is all you have then go ahead and use it, but I highly go against it. It also takes some vanilla and egg whites. Keep the yolk out of it. If you add that in not only will it mess up the coloring, but kill your poor marzipan in general.

As usual you want mix the dry ingredients together first. You don't need to sift them, just use a spoon and mix them. The problem people have is that they tend to try to be too fancy with things. They look at a sifter - for instance - and think that everything will be better sifted. Not the case.

Then beat the wet ingredients together. Use your fist - or spoon if you are trying not to be messy - and make little divot in the dry mix and pour the wet mix in the middle. You don't want to quickly stir this mixture. Slowly fold the dry over the wet over and over until you get a sort of stiff dough-like ball. At this point put it on your counter and add a tad bit of powdered sugar to not have it stick.

begin kneading it. It will be crumbly - by gawd it will be... - but keep kneading until it is all stuck together and be sure to wrap it up. This way it will stay moist enough to work with later or you can work with it right away. Whichever you want.

Thanks, Ichi. If I wanted to sculpt and paint it with food coloring, would I have to add 'primer' to the marzipan's surface?

15. Ichi, please do what Vegio did.

The Ichi - go - cake something :3

That cake looks so nomable.. BUT BUT calories!

16. tupelo29 said:

Thanks, Ichi. If I wanted to sculpt and paint it with food coloring, would I have to add 'primer' to the marzipan's surface?

Marzipan is very good to color because it actually soaks up the color nicely. You don't need a 'primer' or anything for it, but I will say that you will want to dilute any food coloring you have with a drop of water before coloring. Kind of like watercolors. The more more water you add the lighter the color will be and the less water the darker it will be and you can create great shading and lightening effects on your creation this way. Use gloves also. If you have to hold your creation to color it, you don't want your fingers to stain.

17. Artwork said:
    Ichi, please do what Vegio did.

The Ichi - go - cake something :3

That cake looks so nomable.. BUT BUT calories!

I was thinking more of picture tutorials because one, I don't have a camera for videoing, and two, I do have a camera for pictures.

18. That's also perfectly fine.
    Just need to show us all the steps and I guess even the noobs among us will be alright.

19. Yeah. I will I could video, I mean.. I could try, but all I have is my iPhone and those take very narrow videos.

Example:

20. You turn the phone sideways.

Reply »

You must log in to post.