Sankaku Complex Forums » Anime

Non-Anime Movie Discussion Thread

  1. triumf said:
    One of my favorite war movies

    I remember that poster from looking for highly-rated Korean movies.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  2. Watch Adam's Apples. It's just fucking hilarious, but still make you think.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  3. I watched House of Dark Shadows earlier. There were some problems with the editing, but it was nostalgic.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  4. Deth said:

    =======

    I have watched several movies already and the list just keeps getting longer...

    I have the - Ringu (complete series on DVD) - so I have watched it numerous times already. ~ great films.

    As well as....

    Apartment 1303, Joyu-Rei, Cold Fish (2010), Departures.[Okuribito] - (2008), G.P.506, and Kuki Ningyo .....

    Just to name a few....

    The list goes on....

    Good sir, I shall be needing that list when all is "settled" on the 3D side.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  5. Why did I watch this, god...
    It's like the madness is never-ending. It gets more and more bizarre.

    It's actually based on a manga, just checked.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  6. Mai said:
    Why did I watch this, god...
    It' like the madness is never-ending. It gets more and more bizarre.

    It's actually based on a manga, just checked.

    Your next assignment is Uzumaki.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  7. aneko said:

    Mai said:
    Why did I watch this, god...
    It's like the madness is never-ending. It gets more and more bizarre.

    It's actually based on a manga, just checked.

    Your next assignment is Uzumaki.

    Uzumaki is disturbing, but you kind of know it going in. For a movie that starts fairly straightforwardly and then takes, not just a left turn but a left spiral into disturbing, try Crazy Lips. The trailer does not do it justice.

    Of course, the Ne Plus Ultra of disturbing films is David Lynch's Eraserhead.

    Pleasant Dreams.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  8. Cantido said:

    A hot "chick" ohohohohohohoho

    I have a thing for supernatural girls.

    It was also because Yukie Nakama was playing her I guess. Just saw the naked Sadako licking scene in Rasen, but this other actress doesn't appeal to me.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  9. aneko said:
    I watched House of Dark Shadows earlier. There were some problems with the editing, but it was nostalgic.

    I just saw a trailer for the new Dark Shadows movie.
    My only thought was "OH MY GOD, NOOOOOOOO!!!"

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  10. Anybody here a Film Noir fan or just want to learn more about Film Noir? Taschen in Germany has just reprinted (in hard cover) their 2004 book "Filn Noir" by Alain Silver and James Ursini (Authors), Paul Duncan (Editor). This is a large (about 10x12 inch) book, full of movie stills and behind the scenes pictures.

    Copy pasted from Amazon:

    "Beginning with a general overview of film noir and covering its most important themes chapter by chapter (lovers plan murder, corrupt police, doomed love, psychological noir, etc.), this copiously illustrated handbook provides instant and in-depth access to the film noir genre for amateurs and aficionados alike. Among the films covered are these "top ten": Double Indemnity, Kiss Me Deadly, Gun Crazy, Criss Cross, Detour, In A Lonely Place, T-Men, Out of the Past, The Reckless Moment, and Touch of Evil."

    I got mine at the list price of $14.99, but Amazon has it for $10.19! (Remember, this is a hard cover book). Add a couple of inexpensive noir films to get your order over $25 and you get free shipping.

    I've just finished reading my copy and I highly recommend it.

    Amazon link for those interested:

    "Film Noir" on Amazon.

    Attachments

    1. Film_Noir_Book.jpg 2 years old
    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  11. overfiend said:
    I just saw a trailer for the new Dark Shadows movie.
    My only thought was "OH MY GOD, NOOOOOOOO!!!"

    You and everyone else familiar with the original.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  12. overfiend said:

    Double Indemnity?

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  13. @Vegio
    It's because I fucking love the book, which was why the movie was such a huge dissappointment. Also because I could distinctly hear the difference between the Chinese and Japanese accents.

    @Sylphin
    Usagi Drop was so moe! I like the anime better in terms of story but fuuuuu the casting made up for it!

    @Aneko
    Ito Junji's stuff is always better in manga form, animated it just loses that hair-raising texture of his pen strokes.

    Going to watch THG next weekend in HK! So excited~

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  14. I went and saw 'Dr. Seuss' The Lorax' yesterday and I found it very enjoyable. Especially the Once-ler. :3

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  15. overfiend said:
    Anybody here a Film Noir fan or just want to learn more about Film Noir? Taschen in Germany has just reprinted (in hard cover) their 2004 book "Filn Noir" by Alain Silver and James Ursini (Authors), Paul Duncan (Editor). This is a large (about 10x12 inch) book, full of movie stills and behind the scenes pictures.

    I'm a big fan of classic films and Film Noir is one of my favorite genres. I'll definitely look into the book and see if it's something I think I'd actually read all the way through. I'm pretty terrible with books. I start them, put them down, and forget they exist.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  16. aneko said:

    Double Indemnity?

    Yes. Barbara Stanwyck as Phyllis Dietrichson and Fred MacMurray as Walter Neff.

    chocobo said:

    I'm a big fan of classic films and Film Noir is one of my favorite genres. I'll definitely look into the book and see if it's something I think I'd actually read all the way through. I'm pretty terrible with books. I start them, put them down, and forget they exist.

    Even though it's 192 pages, it has so many photos that it's not a long read. You could do what I did, read a chapter or two, put it down, pick it up later and read a couple more. I also had it in my bedroom, so I could read some of it before I went to sleep. (Of course, I'm a book nut; sometimes I'm reading 2-3 books at a time. I was reading People of the Silence by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear and Dialogues With The Dead by Reginald Hill when I started reading Film Noir).

    Attachments

    1. Double_Indemnity.jpg 2 years old
    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  17. overfiend said:
    Even though it's 192 pages, it has so many photos that it's not a long read.

    Does it mention much about films made outside of the US? I've seen some British noir, one French, and a couple from Japan.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  18. aneko said:

    Does it mention much about films made outside of the US? I've seen some British noir, one French, and a couple from Japan.

    Being something of an introduction to film noir, it only mentions a few foreign noirs. However, many directors famous for film noir were born in Europe and moved to Hollywood in the 1930's or before (Fritz Lang, Billy Wilder and Edgar G. Ulmer to name three). At the end of each chapter there are short pieces about individual directors.

    Here's a link to the lengthy list of film noirs (or should it be films noir?) on Wikipedia. Many of the non U.S. noirs have links to individual articles.

    List of film noir titles

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  19. Is there any mention of Neo-Noir? I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to find some new titles to watch. While I still have a ton of classics, something about Neo-Noir has piqued my interest.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  20. chocobo said:
    Is there any mention of Neo-Noir? I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to find some new titles to watch. While I still have a ton of classics, something about Neo-Noir has piqued my interest.

    You might try the French film I mentioned, Le Samourai.

    Posted 2 years ago # Quote

Reply »

You must log in to post.