Sankaku Complex Forums » Games

The Bleak Future of Game Consoles

1. Satoko said:
    I'm not sure why you guys even left the PC behind to begin with.

Nobody leaves the PC once they've on to PC.

Posted 2 years ago # Quote
  2. I don't much trust Kotaku
    but with what Microsoft and Sony has pulled in the past
    I wouldn't put it against them to fuck over gamers in the next gen.

Glad I modded my PSP

3. mere said:

Well, I doubt all places are the same. The company itself can suck a dick but I worked with some great people.

Fair enough.

abracadvre said:
    Removing the ability to lend a game to someone removes the sense of community and a minor social aspect from gaming culture.

You guys got some odd communities around there if you consider having people leech of your purchases to be a form of community. When it gets to the social aspect you should really complain more about split-screen becoming less common than not being able to lend out your game to someone.

StefanKinoshita said:

My reason for buying an Xbox was so I could play high-end games. Decent gaming PC's are expensive.

It doesn't take much to actually run a game of today. Mostly due to the extreme age of the current consoles I'll admit. I would expect a big leap in the hardware requirement once the next generation have gotten a stable ground in the gaming market.
    Of course price is still a valid argument, it always is.

dgmikep said:
    The Ps4, on rumors, is a "monster" compared with actuals PCs.

What are these "actuals PCs" exactly? The range of hardware is too great to generalize.

Too much F5 and additional text!

4. Satoko said:

Most people don't start with it and that's not including the fact that most people don't know computers still play games.

Satoko said:

You guys got some odd communities around there if you consider having people leech of your purchases to be a form of community. When it gets to the social aspect you should really complain more about split-screen becoming less common than not being able to lend out your game to someone.

What I meant by the community and social part is I have had a couple of friendships that have been made or strengthened with the act of lending or borrowing something from the other person. It shows a degree of trust and gives both people something to discuss in the future.

5. Well the highest on PC is the Intel i7 with 6 cores and 2 x videocard (4-6 gb video memory). The Ps4 is rumored to be 2x that with 12 cores and 8gb video. The tegra 4 (next year) that will go to tablets and phones beat PS4 in every way.

6. Some people that are aware about PC gaming but not many people are aware about Requirements playing PC games.Even I had a hard time trying to Install game that I wanted to play like for example Neverwinter Nights 2 on my Old Computer didn't work because I didn't have a Expensive Graphics card to play that game now or the money to get one at the time.I was lucky I gone to Newegg bought a old Gamming PC works well enough to play that game.

7. StefanKinoshita said:

My reason for buying an Xbox was so I could play high-end games. Decent gaming PC's are expensive.

They are. But you need a PC anyway, regardless of whether you're gonna play games on it. On the other hand, you'll only buy a console if you want to play games.

Upgrading a middle-of-the-road PC to be able to play games fairly well (and with far better graphics than you'd see on a PS3 or Xbox) is about as expensive as buying a console.

When you need to get a new PC, it's actually cheaper to buy a respectable gaming rig than it is to get a non-gaming PC and a console. Don't believe any of that shit about needing to pay >£1000 to get a decent rig. I paid far less than that and I can play everything flawlessly.

8. kudichan said:
    When you need to get a new PC, it's actually cheaper to buy a respectable gaming rig than it is to get a non-gaming PC and a console. Don't believe any of that shit about needing to pay >£1000 to get a decent rig. I paid far less than that and I can play everything flawlessly.

Just out of curiousity, how much did you pay?

9. Avatar Image

CC

dgmikep said:
    The tegra 4 (next year) that will go to tablets and phones beat PS4 in every way.

Although ARM and x86(_64) are hard to compare the atoms still are a lot faster than all of the arm procs for nearly all tasks.. an i7 is so much faster than an Atom that they don't really compare.

Also, the GPU's although most likely surpassing performance of the on 'on die gpu' of the intels don't hold a candle to current gen gaming cards. Usually consoles at release date compare to the high end PC's but high end pc's don't tend to stay high end for long.

Latest I read about the supposed specs

mere said:Well, might as well go back to the pc.

It's almost funny how a lot of the disadvantages from PC gaming also apply to consoles nowadays.. almost.

10. triumf said:

I don't much trust Kotaku

^^^^
    Honestly they're just rumours. We're gonna hear a lot more like that until Microsoft tells us the details about their new baby themselves.

11. StefanKinoshita said:

'Bout £7-800. Something in that range. I needed a new PC anyway, so I only paid about £100 on top of what I would already have paid just to fuck around online and watch my HD animu and excessively large S&M collection.

I also splashed out on a processor that was far more than I would have needed if I'd just been interested in gaymen. It might have been sub-£700 if I'd just wanted to play games.

12. I've got my current pc(core 2 quad 6800, 2GB ram, geforce 8800 gts) for ~€500 more than 3.5 years ago. If you look around for sales an or find one with a scratched case(some retail shops give like a 40% discount for a single scratch), you can get it really cheap.

13. Avatar Image

CC

StefanKinoshita said:

I paid €852 for my PC which can run pretty much everything you throw at it maxed out @ full HD. It's damn silent as well. (ended up spending another €200 a week later on the videocard because I game on 2560x1440 :()
    If you simply want to do some gaming you can have a very decent PC for about €600.
    Considering a normal PC is about €200 for a cheap one the price difference isn't that big, especially considering how cheap some games are.

14. kudichan said:

They are. But you need a PC anyway, regardless of whether you're gonna play games on it. On the other hand, you'll only buy a console if you want to play games.

Upgrading a middle-of-the-road PC to be able to play games fairly well (and with far better graphics than you'd see on a PS3 or Xbox) is about as expensive as buying a console.

this

15. Satoko said:

Consoles have some valuable exclusives. In this moment I can think of the Tales series

16. kudichan said:

This...

CC said:

...And this.
    Not to mention that sales are going on for most digital retailers almost all the time for the PC. You can even at times find new titles that are as much as 50% of if you're lucky.

maeriden said:

Consoles have some valuable exclusives. In this moment I can think of the Tales series

I never stated that consoles should be fully left behind~
    Exclusives are really the biggest reason to have a console if you ask me. Remove the exclusives and there is little point to it besides the occasional controller thing I guess, but the PC also supports such controls even if most games on it doesn't.

17. EA wants to also control the PC market as well with Origin.Trying to be like steam with more Terms of Agreement and Banning players from online play who troll or make negetive comments on there boards.

18. i do like used game, cause as a kid i can't tell you how many times i bought a steaming pile of shit. (i don't do game trades) but i do share games with friends. sometimes we trade games for keeps. ugh there is a way to beat this though. make a petition and have like everyone sign it if anyone cares or the company cares. if only thing i still got my snes ps1 2 3 xbox 360 gamecube hand helds n64 and dream cast so im good

19. I mostly play PC games. The so this the Game Console industries decides to make consoles that don't sale. I wont be to sad.

The economy is bad everywhere so over charging and unfair business practices with a luxury item like a Game console is not smart.

If there was a Console to fail. I hope it's the Next XBox. Microsoft is the greediest of the bunch. Microsoft charges you for every thing on it already. While PS3 and Wii has free online and netflex without additional charges. The PS3 also has no reign lock.
    I'm also hoping for a very high fail rate too, for the next XBox. More the the 360.

20. I dun see a reason why we need another next gen of console. If there is a company that should do that, it has to be Nintendo and not Sony/Microsoft.

But if the DRM method proven to be working. Then it would benefit the game developers the most, and I'm happy for them.

Reply »

You must log in to post.