Sankaku Complex Forums » Meta

[closed]

Things to do in Toronto

1. Just wondering, is anyone familiar with Toronto? Someone I know is going to spend a summer there on exchange and she would like to know about stuff to do/places to visit etc as well as the do and don't

Feel free to share!

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. Here here and here

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. Bungee jumping at CN tower, shoplifting at Fairview Mall, swimming to Island airport, "shooting game" with black people in Jane and Finch, let chinese give you glares in Chinatown, invade Seneca College library, marathon on the 401 highway, buy conterfeit products at Pacific Mall, play hide and seek in Flemington park, streaking in SkyDome, try pass the Pearson Airport security with a fruit knife, etc.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. she's chinese by the way... @_@ will that be an issue?

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. deadbeat said:
    she's chinese by the way... @_@ will that be an issue?

Plenty of chinese in Toronto, it is one of the base for asian world domination.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. Go to Honest Ed's Department Store.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. deadbeat said:
    she's chinese by the way... @_@ will that be an issue?

As long as she doesn't make fun of Canadians

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. Hunt for beaver pelts, navigate through snow covered forests, live off of maple syrup. Sounds like it'll be a fun trip. :p

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. Avatar Image

Ash

well It depends, If your friend is interested in the tourist thing or not if they are, they could visit:

Attractions : CN Tower, the Zoo, The science center, The Royal Ontario Museum

Amusement parks: Paramount Canada's Wonderland & Ontario Place

events and sports: the Skydome (rogers center)& The Air Canada center

Malls & other stuff: Eations Center, Pacific Mall & China Town

thats the best I could come up with with just a Summer time frame. If your friend likes anime and such there is also an Anime Con in May (Anime North) and a more general everything con at the end of august (Fan Expo)

Let me know if you or your friend needs more info

Hope this Helps!

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. she will be there from the second week of May to mid July. 8 weeks.

any suggestions for shopping?

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. That's a big time frame, so she'll find a lot on her own, anyway. The touristy areas are downtown by Yonge (pronounced young) & Queen streets. Queen West (of Yonge) has many shops which might appeal to her. It's a lot of walking so buying a weekly transit pass is a good idea. http://www3.ttc.ca
    Bicycling is also an option. I bike myself but it can be dangerous.

Expect dozens if not hundreds of homeless people begging.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. deadbeat said:

any suggestions for shopping?

Honest Ed's is a pretty sweet place.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. Honest Ed's is like Wal-Mart with older merchandise. It's worth a look. I don't like how the only way out is by the cashiers, you have to squeeze past customers if you're not buying anything.
    They sell many souvenirs of Toronto if she's looking for something to bring back home. Probably all made in China. :)

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. What kind of stuff is she looking to shop for?
    There are a bunch of big malls, but most of them have pretty much the same stuff, and if she's staying downtown, there really isn't much reason to go outside of eaton center for generic shopping and bay/bloor for high fashion. If she's looking for anime stuff, there's a shop called Anime Extreme around Spadina/Dundas, and a slew of comic book stores around the city (Hairy Tarantula, Silver Snail, One Million Comix).

For Chinese Stuff, there is definitely no shortage as there's a pretty massive chinese population both mandarin and cantonese speaking. As others have mentioned, china town and pacific mall are some places to check out, and further north of pacific mall there are a whole slew of asian malls as well (Peachtree, First Markham Place).

As for touristy stuff, Ash covered it pretty well, though I might throw in Niagara Falls if she's there for 8 weeks and seeing the sights. It's by no means in the city or close, but there are literally tons of chartered buses leaving from chinatown to there every week and it's a nice day trip for touristy stuff, and speaking chinese will probably be even easier to book it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. sadosensei said:
    Honest Ed's is like Wal-Mart with older merchandise. It's worth a look. I don't like how the only way out is by the cashiers, you have to squeeze past customers if you're not buying anything.
    They sell many souvenirs of Toronto if she's looking for something to bring back home. Probably all made in China. :)

You'd probably find a lot of trash like this there.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. this thread helps a great deal! keep the suggestions flowing!

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. Overthrow the local government and give the city back to the Iroquois

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. Anime North is on this weekend in Toronto (May 27-29). I've got work Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, but I hope everyone else that's going has a great time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. Avatar Image

Nin

Yeah, all my Canadian friends are totally riled up about it. Cosplaying and all.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. I wish I could go, but I don't have money, and have a shit load of stuff to do ( that I should being doing right now)...

Posted 2 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.