Sankaku Complex Forums » General

  1. Weird that I never see anyone made a thread about it, so I'm making it now.

    Bought something awesome recently and you want to show to people in here or make a review out of it? Or wanting to buy something but feel like asking around here if anyone bought it first and what do they think about it?

    Doesn't matter if it's internal(HDD, RAM sticks, graphics card, motherboards, CPU, etc) or external(printers, scanners, tablets, thumbdrives, etc), let's talk about them in here!

    I felt called to create this thread, because I just purchased a Samsung S2 500GB(actually just 465GB. I hate how all products in this category NEVER advertise real numbers) portable HDD around an hour ago, which was on sale, and felt like sharing. It sure has that Sony-ish sleek design with gay shiny finishing on its plastic case, but for only 3 years of warranty and an included backup and encryption software that doesn't work with Macs, you guys would probably be better off looking elsewhere. Also, it acknowledges in the damn manual that it may require another USB attached to certain PCs to make it work, and yet it didn't include a Y cable instead of the cheapass single and short one.

    Oh, and I gotta say, if you can buy a laptop HDD and an enclosure then assemble them yourself, you should rather do that.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  2. They don't really lie about capacity they just use base 10 to make them look larger.
    HD manufactures state capacity in base 10 while nearly all computers report said capacity in base two.
    A gigabyte in base 10 is 1,000,000,000 or 10^9 but in base two it's 1,073,741,824 or 2^30.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  3. Ill share on this thread!

    After a week of calling my tech guy ALLOT! I finally got my new computer. As for the specs here they go.

    Intel i7 3.07 ghz core.
    MSI X-58 mainboard.
    8gb of kingston ddr3 RAM
    2 HDD (OS drive is 500gb, data drive is 1tb)
    nVidia 460 GTX 1gb GPU
    cool Master 600w power source.
    Thermaltake Soprano RS 101 case.

    Runs like a kitten, silently and fast!

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  4. Char said:
    They don't really lie about capacity they just use base 10 to make them look larger.
    HD manufactures state capacity in base 10 while nearly all computers report said capacity in base two.
    A gigabyte in base 10 is 1,000,000,000 or 10^9 but in base two it's 1,073,741,824 or 2^30.

    I'm not saying they are lying. I didn't even use the word 'lie'. I just wish they'd use the real system accepted for bits and bytes because you can get the picture better that way. Besides, less savvy consumers might feel cheated.

    Murlctt said:
    Ill share on this thread!

    After a week of calling my tech guy ALLOT! I finally got my new computer. As for the specs here they go.

    Intel i7 3.07 ghz core.
    MSI X-58 mainboard.
    8gb of kingston ddr3 RAM
    2 HDD (OS drive is 500gb, data drive is 1tb)
    nVidia 460 GTX 1gb GPU
    cool Master 600w power source.
    Thermaltake Soprano RS 101 case.

    Runs like a kitten, silently and fast!

    Nice spec. Mind telling me the price? In US dollars if you can.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  5. Only the tower without peripherials ended up being like 1300 bucks.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  6. Murlctt said:
    Only the tower without peripherials ended up being like 1300 bucks.

    ...Hence why the specs are good. Where I am, that price gets multiplied at least 4 times more.

    My rig must have dropped a bit below mid-range now, but I still can't be bothered to buy a new one at least until next two years. All the FPSes and RPGs I want to play now can still be handled by it using above average graphics performance anyway. Gotta say though that I hog more storage capacity than performance, due to nature of my work.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  7. If I inserted my floppy into Dani's drive, would I need antivirus protection or would it depend on how much ram I gave her?

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  8. bleak said:
    If I inserted my floppy into Dani's drive, would I need antivirus protection or would it depend on how much ram I gave her?

    You got to keep in mind that not every antivirus is good and that you will be completely screwed if you get the 41D5 virus. Not a single antivirus can get rid of that.

    TL note - 41D5 is meant to mean AIDS. (for you morons)

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  9. bleak said:
    If I inserted my floppy into Dani's drive, would I need antivirus protection or would it depend on how much ram I gave her?

    I'm not sure if metaphorical hardwares can be accepted as valid discussion points for this thread, lol!

    ambiguous said:

    You got to keep in mind that not every antivirus is good and that you will be completely screwed if you get the 41D5 virus. Not a single antivirus can get rid of that.

    You know, I was gonna say that the best antivirus apps are the ones which usually sits at 3rd or 4th place in rankings, because the top ones are always targeted by malware coders. Then, I saw 41D5 and I was like "...ooohhh, touche".

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  10. bleak said:
    If I inserted my floppy into Dani's drive, would I need antivirus protection or would it depend on how much ram I gave her?

    I hate to ask what happened to you that warranted you having a floppy. I'd stick my 5gb flash drive into the USB port, but that's just me.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  11. Peter Barton said:

    I hate to ask what happened to you that warranted you having a floppy. I'd stick my 5gb flash drive into the USB port, but that's just me.

    I need the optical drive to make me get a solid state hard one.

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  12. Here is my current specs.. basically the predecessors to the current range

    Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
    3 GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz from Corsair
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R mobo
    1TB Seagate HDD
    Corsair HX1000W PSU
    Corsair H50 CPU cooler
    Antec 902 case
    22x DVD combo drive from LG
    ASUS HD4870 DK
    All fans changed to Scythe Gentle Typhoon 12 cm fans
    Installed with Windows 7 Pro

    And that is about it...

    Although I am planning to build a new rig based around these specs around the end of the year or maybe just updating the currunt one

    Silverstone FT-03 case
    Not sure of the colour yet... (silver or black)
    Either X58 based mobo or LGA 1356 based
    Therefore kept the 920 or buy new CPU
    Change RAM to 6GB
    Might add a SSD
    Buy ultimate for OS
    The fastest single gpu solution at the point of pirchanse... can be AMD or nVidia but waiting for 7xxx series to be launched...
    And a suitable psu that would fit in the case... thinking of getting seasonic's

    Although I am also thinking of other purchases like speakers, headsets, monitors...thinking of Dell's U2711 as an option...

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  13. How many of these $1000 gaymen rigs with overclocked i7s, graphics cards that need a whole nuclear plant to supply them with power and excessive amounts of RAM are being used for nothing other than pissing around on the internet and watching animu?

    In my case, it's:

    Intel Core i5 750 @2.67GHz (I plan on OCing at some point...)
    MSI P55-CD53, Intel P55 Express
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic @1333MHz
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
    512MB XFX HD 5670, PCI-E 2.1 (x16) (yes, yes, I know...)
    Sony AD-7240S-0B 24x DVD±R, 12xDVD±
    650W Corsair CMPSU-650TX
    Coolermaster Elite 334 Black no PSU
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  14. Murlctt said:
    Ill share on this thread!

    After a week of calling my tech guy ALLOT! I finally got my new computer. As for the specs here they go.

    Intel i7 3.07 ghz core.
    MSI X-58 mainboard.
    8gb of kingston ddr3 RAM
    2 HDD (OS drive is 500gb, data drive is 1tb)
    nVidia 460 GTX 1gb GPU
    cool Master 600w power source.
    Thermaltake Soprano RS 101 case.

    Runs like a kitten, silently and fast!

    Although meh thinks that you should have bought your ram in stics of ram in threes like I did and not as twos like you did
    so x58 chipset would naturally run with triple-channel so configs of 3, 6, 12Gb would work... depending on the motherboard you may be able to double the amount

    Also i think your graphix card is underpowered relative to your processor... is it a core i7 950?

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  15. kudichan said:
    How many of these $1000 gaymen rigs with overclocked i7s, graphics cards that need a whole nuclear plant to supply them with power and excessive amounts of RAM are being used for nothing other than pissing around on the internet and watching animu?

    Hey! I also game on that...and its not 1k... i probably spent over twice that amount

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  16. mononymous said:its not 1k... i probably spent over twice that amount

    Shit, nigger; where do you buy your parts from? A rig like yours shouldn't cost that much.

    Please tell me it wasn't a pre-build from some shitty OEM like Alienware...

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  17. Of course not... i hate alienware
    It was built 2ish years ago so by current standards it should be much cheaper

    kudichan said:

    Shit, nigger; where do you buy your parts from? A rig like yours shouldn't cost that much.

    Please tell me it wasn't a pre-build from some shitty OEM like Alienware...

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  18. Case: Thermaltake Xaser Super tower with LCS
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
    CPU & CPU Cooler:Intel Q9400 2.66GHz
    RAM: 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2
    Monitor: 2x Samsung 24" Dual linked
    Graphics Card:Leadtek GTX 470 with Artic cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus cooler
    HDD(s): 1x Samsung 1.5TB 1x Samsung spinpoint 500GB Western Digital Green 1TB
    OS Used: Visa Home premuim
    Peripherals: Logitech G25,
    Razer lycosa keyboard
    Razer diamondback mouse
    Razer eXactmat
    LG DVD burner set to region 2 ( Japan region)
    samsung DVD burner set to region 4 ( Australia)
    Thermaltake toughpower 850W PSU
    logitech 5.1 surround sound
    eation 5110 UPS

    Server
    Case: Thermaltake M9D Mid-tower
    Motherboard: Gigabye EP45T-UD3LR
    CPU & CPU Cooler: intel celeron E3300 2.5GHz
    RAM:2GB DDR3 RAM
    Monitor: one of the 24" LCD's of my gaming rig
    Graphics Card:Asus EN8400GS 512MB
    HDD(s): 4x western digital 2TB Hard drives
    OS Used: XP hom
    Eaton Ellipse ASR M66780AL 1000VA 600W UPS

    with all of the upgrades throughout the years i'd say atleast $5,000-%6,000 has been spent

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  19. The only things worth of mention in my pc are HDDs

    1) OS/programs: 160GB (bought small because of lack of money at that time)
    2) Random stuff/programs 2/games stuff: 1TB
    3) Movies/series/anime/manga scans: 1.5TB (that stuff used to be in disk 2 but i was getting low on space)

    I like to keep everything I download

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote
  20. mononymous said:

    Although meh thinks that you should have bought your ram in stics of ram in threes like I did and not as twos like you did
    so x58 chipset would naturally run with triple-channel so configs of 3, 6, 12Gb would work... depending on the motherboard you may be able to double the amount

    Also i think your graphix card is underpowered relative to your processor... is it a core i7 950?

    The ram i got come sin sticks of 4gb, thus having 2 of em and allowing a max of 24 gb of ram with that mainboard. As for the gpu, i got it back in 2010, this is just the one i reused from my old setup, just like ur planning on may be reusing ur i7 920. And yes, the cpu is an i7 950.

    My question is, is ur i7 920 overclocked?

    Posted 3 years ago # Quote

Reply »

You must log in to post.