Sankaku Complex Forums » General

The Space Thread

1. for all things space related

i was wondering if we'll get to see space colonization in our life times albeit in its infancy but if so then our grandkids will probably get to see it "in full force"

DISCUSS!!!!!

Posted 4 years ago # Quote
  2. Avatar Image

WPE

unsung said:
    i was wondering if we'll get to see space colonization in our life times albeit in its infancy but if so then our grandkids will probably get to see it "in full force"

Probably not. Space colonization won't be feasible for decades upon decades.

But don't take my word for it; read this.

3. Colonize the Gobi desert, colonise the North Atlantic in winter — then get back to me about the rest of the solar system!

well that was informative

yes there are factors (many) to take in to account and perhaps by the time ANY of this is established it will most likely be in its infancy of development (that is to say MANY decades from now if not 2/3rds of a century we might see some progress but still in its early stages)

thanks for the good read

4. At one point I did wonder if I'd ever see it happen but then private sector started getting things done.

The ISS will likely be known as the year a permanent human presence in space began.
    Who's knows maybe in the future 2000 will be remembered as AC-0

I think colonization will likely happen this century.

5. Mars will eventually end up becoming Aqua

6. Char said:

Who's knows maybe in the future 2000 will be remembered as AC-0

No.

7. Misaka Mikoto said:
    Mars will eventually end up becoming Aqua

will it look like this?

Attachments

1. Aria_4.jpg 4 years old
  8. only if they boost the ISS up to a more stable orbit, and utilize it as the foundation for expansion & upgrades.

Otherwise, they're just going to let it come crashing down on some ones house - yours mine who knows. Its already to big to totally disintegrate.

The only sensible thing to do is to keep it up there and turn it into something else.

In my opinion, it would be the ideal platform, to build an expeditionary support craft.
    Because the necessary infrastructure is already integrated in the ISS itself.
    Just expand the crew quarters, ad more living space and upgrade the life support systems for 30 more crew.
    This and more storage for supplies and gear for landings.
    Add on a drive module and you have a ship to go to anywhere in the solar system, with accomodations for scientists and support crew.

The only problem is who will take over after the current mission of tourist destination expires.

^_^

9. there were talks of a space lift but I don't see much news about it in recent months. any updates?

10. What needs to be done is establish a base on the moon to start the process of building an independent self sufficient colony of construction fabrication facilities.
    The raw materials are already there. Its more ecconomical to ship building materials from the moon than to launch from earth, due to the gravity issue.
    A space elevator is more practical if its in orbit around the moon. Because there is no weather effects. The very reason its impractical here on earth.

The only thing is fuel, which would have to harvested from the icy asteroids, or other sources on the moon.

It may be possible to see the initial start-up of colonies in space. But nothing as advanced as you've seen in the media.

Still, a job is a job & I'd rather be working in space than ploding around here on earth.

11. Second test flight of F9 this time with a functional Dragon spacecraft.

12. UncommonOtaku said:
    only if they boost the ISS up to a more stable orbit, and utilize it as the foundation for expansion & upgrades.

Otherwise, they're just going to let it come crashing down on some ones house - yours mine who knows. Its already to big to totally disintegrate.

The only sensible thing to do is to keep it up there and turn it into something else.

In my opinion, it would be the ideal platform, to build an expeditionary support craft.
    Because the necessary infrastructure is already integrated in the ISS itself.
    Just expand the crew quarters, ad more living space and upgrade the life support systems for 30 more crew.
    This and more storage for supplies and gear for landings.
    Add on a drive module and you have a ship to go to anywhere in the solar system, with accomodations for scientists and support crew.

The only problem is who will take over after the current mission of tourist destination expires.

^_^

The only problem with this is the effects of microgravity on humans, specifically bone density. We can't stay in space for more than a few months every few months without risking significant damage to our bone structure.
    Even with rigerous exercises daily:

Astronauts suffer from significant bone loss in microgravity. It has been estimated that 1-2% of the bone is lost each month.

http://gorczynskiresearch.com/microgravity.htm

13. Lets take a trip to the stars faraway?

14. Like in Wall-E, we'll all become too fat to walk, and forget all about face-to-face human interaction.

15. http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl
    Watch nasa people do shit 24/7

16. Dragon has been recovered mission successful.
    The news is actually a few hours old but finally there's pics.
    Second stage still in orbit has performed successful restart and is now in an orbit with an apogee of 11,000km.

Attachments

1. dragon_recovered.jpg 4 years old
  17. Avatar Image

WPE

Artwork said:
    Lets take a trip to the stars faraway?

Biggest producers of garbage

Attachments

1. garbage.png 4 years old
  18. Hey!
    Don't you fire at Godsmack, they're more then OK.

19. what's amazing about space exploration is that it has also spawned ideas for song, film, and game

20. unsung said:

hah, I remember trying the demo out in ps3 some months ago.
    CONNECTING TO A SERVER TAKES FOREVER.
    Awesome new moves though, like the instant kill.
    Although even with all the awesome graphics, new moves and weapons,
    I think I'd still prefer the ol' AVP2 low-quality fps.
    It's faster, and less complicated.

Love running on walls and pouncing on humans~

Reply »

You must log in to post.